• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Shulk Social : Starting to feel it!

Both seem to like the character for who he was. Y'know. They played Xenoblade and liked the game so here they are, maining Shulk. Sometimes, I wonder why I main this character though. I could have went with the easy life and mained Fox but here I am, maining Shulk and using Charizard as a secondary. I fiddled around with Ike but he doesn't really solve any of Shulk's bad MU's. With Zard, idk about his MU's but I can cheese anyone with rage and super armor which works wonders

Linkmario00

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Linkmario00
Both seem to like the character for who he was. Y'know. They played Xenoblade and liked the game so here they are, maining Shulk. Sometimes, I wonder why I main this character though. I could have went with the easy life and mained Fox but here I am, maining Shulk and using Charizard as a secondary. I fiddled around with Ike but he doesn't really solve any of Shulk's bad MU's. With Zard, idk about his MU's but I can cheese anyone with rage and super armor which works wonders
You are complaining, but for some reasons I main Link, Shulk and Ike which don't help each other with MUs at all and only recently I decided to secondary MK which helps a lot all of them but I did it only after play him a lotand see tthat I like him quite a lot. I simply main the char I like for now. Maybe if I go to tournaments I'll give up with Link and Ike since MK is needed for sone MUs and Shulk is the better character imo. I'd like to use then all, but I can't think of a MU where I shouldn't use one between Ike and Link (mostly Ike since Link could be useful against spammer) over the other two. It's really sad for me.

I think Shulk definitely has a lot of potential but his frame data is definitely really REALLY bad. Like, it's going to be a thorn at his metagame unless there's some sort of patch which buffs his frame data. I'm not sure if Shulk can ever reach top tier with that type of frame data. Who knows? We'll see, I guess.

I just main characters I legitimately enjoy and have fun with. In Brawl, I mained Snake and Marth. I liked Snake because of his projectiles, mind game set-ups and his sheer stupid power and disjoint (remember the u-tilt and f-tilt??). Marth was simply... "graceful." Everything about him was amazing. From his ridiculous n-air, to his f-air, along with his tippers, and the reward from spacing, he felt really good to use. In Melee, I used Link and Sheik. I used Link because the projectiles felt good to use but I mostly focus on Sheik nowadays because well.... top tier. Lol. That and she's also fun to use. Idk. Her f-air is ridiculous af. I use Zelda and Ike in PM. Zelda because I want to actually use Zelda. Like, thank GOD she's actually not bad for once. I used Ike because Ally is the best

So yeah. Fun >>> Viability. Then again, I have a limit when it comes to tolerating with low tiers. I just can't handle bad characters. Lol. I'd argue that Melee Link wasn't totally bad. Subpar, yeah. I guess but not bad at the levels of Ness or Pichu

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
I just main characters because I like them. I would never pick up a top tier only to cover a bad matchup - playing a bad matchup helps me learn my character more and I can know what to do in a bad situation instead of just going lol hold on lemme switch to Sheik. Shulk and Zelda cover very few matchups for eachother, but I play them because I like them. Plain and simple.

D

Deleted member

I main characters that I like and I like their play style.
I play some characters often because I like the character and their play style.

Shulk is the second one for me. I don't really main him because his play style is not for me, but he is my second favorite video game character and I love his moveset.

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
I main characters if I like them and they feel good to play. That's why I dropped Falco after the patch - he feels worse now even though he got buffed.

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
Just practice in training mode until you have a good grasp of your grab range.

Grabs are one thing I'm good at getting, however I suck at following up on them :p

I need to work on that a bit.
Wow its the opposite for me I can't grab but I can follow up on a near godly level.

ExcaliburGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ExcaliburGuy
3DS FC
0817-4246-5421
I started playing Marth in Melee because Fire Emblem was my favorite video game series ever. I just loved how his aerials flowed into one another. So when Smash 4 came around and took away everything I loved about Marth, I decided to look around for another character. I had already been messing around with Shulk (because Xenoblade was amazing), but when I started seriously using Monado Arts, I was amazed by his versatility. Not only that, but the way nair and fair flow together reminds me of Marth. And so I main Shulk now, with Mario, Marth, and Roy as secondaries.

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
Eyy, wasn't around yesterday...

I tend to main characters when I either like the character or like their play style. Shulk is the latter, though he's grown on me as a character now. I haven't played Xenoblade, but I like his personality as seen in Smash. The versatility of his Arts is a huge selling point, and the range he has is ridiculous. If you can hit Marth/Lucina/Ike/any character with a counter with a tipped N-air or F-smash without taking the counter strike, that's golden.

Robin was my first Sm4sh main for both reasons: Robin is a huge favorite of mine (as is any FE character in Smash), and the fact that he was the first FE representative to use tomes in smash had me sold. I don't use him as much lately, since I honestly feel Shulk has better chances overall, but he's still a go-to for me with some MUs.

Link, I even used him in Melee because lol, I knew nothing of competition and swords are so cool, yay. <-- logic of a ten year old. Nowadays, I main as Marth in Project M, for similar reasons of strong air game, graceful battle style, and FE characters ftw.

I probably would gravitate toward one of the current "top-tier" characters, except for the fact that they are top tier. I can't stand following the crowd in competitive video games, and that's why I'll never be a national-level player. Who cares?

(Interesting fact though, of all the 3DS characters, only Fox was too difficult to clear All-Star on Hard with. In light of that, I viewed him as my weakest character... And since I know a friend who is not very strong in Smash but still likes to play, I gave him a handicap and would only play Fox against him for a while. And you know what? Now I'm good enough with him that I think I COULD feasibly main him... But won't.)

Pikalink

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shining-Chi
3DS FC
1547-5757-5622
Tbh I was going to main Kirby because well he finally doesn't suck(no pun intended) as bad as he did before. But then after messing with copy ability's I found Shulk's MA the most fun.
I looked more into the character and boom magic.
I still like to dream how amazing Shulk could be if received a little buff and mastering the magical MALLC.

Was this posted here yet?

I know SDoom posted YWKON Kazoo'd but what about Mechanical Rhythm?

Last edited:

smokebomb12

Banned via Administration
NNID
SmokebombX13
3DS FC
5198-3160-1382
I choose my character based on
love and personal relation with character.
If there good (duh).
Will they be in the next or previous smash bros. Thats whyI dropped ice climbers in brawl.
Is there game series continuing or timeless. May sound strange but oh well.

Thats just me.

swordsman09

Smash Journeyman
NNID
swordsman09
I pick my character based on how good they feel on the first try. I normally feel like first impressions are everything when I look for characters. Shulk was the character that left the kind of first impression I was looking for. His range was just fun to mess around with.

That first impression is what also led to me finally opening my Xenoblade Chronicles copy and putting the disc into my Wii U. It was one of the only RPGs that I actively wanted to finish I would say. Every other RPG I played tired me out at some point and I never got to finishing those. The only exception to this is FF7 which I did TERRIBLE on.

ExcaliburGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ExcaliburGuy
3DS FC
0817-4246-5421
Was this posted here yet?

I know SDoom posted YWKON Kazoo'd but what about Mechanical Rhythm?
I will rock out to this jam no matter what, whether it be on the mandolin, the sitar, or the kazoo.

On a really off topic side note, mandolin solos are super cool. I was at a Toad the Wet Sprocket concert, and at the end of one of my favorite tunes, the piano guy breaks out this mandolin and starts shredding on it. It was life changing.

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
I mained Shulk because I love Xenoblade chronicles and nearly all of the characters in it, and I was hyped for Shulk as much as everyone else was for mega man. I liked his playstyle of always being able to do something different to confuse or counter the opponents strategy. Speaking of counters, he has one. Which I love, just like everyone else who plays Shulk. Loved that range too. There's too many things to list saying why I love playing Shulk in Smash4, andnmim sure many of you guys can agree to that.

Last edited:

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
Wow uh I have a question. If I destroy a sheik with lil Mac and then 2 stock a Lucas twice in a row also with a lil Mac does that make me really really good with Mac or were they both bad?

Linkmario00

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Linkmario00
Probably the Sheik was very bad or you're very good. Don't know if the Lucas MU is difficult for LM

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
Warning Received
Probably the Sheik was very bad or you're very good. Don't know if the Lucas MU is difficult for LM
The sheik wasn't bad. They did all of the sheik things like spamming needles, spamming f-air, spamming grabs into f-air to spamming more f-airs then needles. Thaty Lucas though, that's a different story. Our first match I destroyed him so hard almost doing a jv3. Second match he do ok... other then the fact that he killed himself.
Lucas has projectiles and a killer back throw. I'm pretty sure Lucas is great against lil Mac.
I'm about to play some more 1v1 matches with Mac and see what happens.

Edit: and I think starting the match without doing a dash attack or side b off the edge already makes me a great lil Mac player.

Last edited by a moderator:

Linkmario00

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Linkmario00
You know you can edit your post right? Also, if the Sheik was good than you're a better player,like I said. That's it.

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
You know you can edit your post right? Also, if the Sheik was good than you're a better player,like I said. That's it.
OK that's how I'll take it. I'm a great smasher.
The Sheik was either bad or you were good

Also, do not double post
I didn't mean to double post. It doesn't even show it as double posting for me, but whatever I make mistakes.

Goesasu

Smash Journeyman
I think Shulk definitely has a lot of potential but his frame data is definitely really REALLY bad. Like, it's going to be a thorn at his metagame unless there's some sort of patch which buffs his frame data. I'm not sure if Shulk can ever reach top tier with that type of frame data. Who knows? We'll see, I guess.

IMO frame data is not such a liability as all people make it out to be. I consider myself a high skilled player (not top player because that means winning importante events) and do more than just okay against high/top level sheik players i.e, and that matchup is where shulks bad frame data is more exposed. Just play smart: jab, d-tilt and airslash(advancing) are shulks fastest attacks, mix it with n-air and dont commit or let yourself open and you will do ok, do some reads and you will do great.

I play 2123, but i cant play 1111 shulk to save my life. D-Buster is so important to me and more important each passing day. With it i can rack up 80% or more then D-smash and kill so fast is absurd, then more d buster or d-shield depending on my % and survive till 160% or more. Simple and efective game plan.
Advancing airslash is crucial to shulk because air slash is shulk second fastest attack and this custom is stronger, better for recovery while on d-shield, and safer on a whiff. When i play all i really care is D-arts and advancing airslash, my strategy is dependant on this, power vision is just an extra to me.

Shulk is such an amazing character and IMO even if he doesnt get any buffs it doesnt matter, if i can do great things with him its just a matter of time that someone else makes him truly truly shine.

I live in Chile where zero was born, he left Chile not because our scene is bad (its actually pretty good) but because you cant make out a living of gaming here (and IMO ins the US you can barely do it). US players usually underestimate non US players, its like they all forget that Zero is from Chile, right here in southamerica, did you guys know that we also have a Yu-Gi-Oh world champion and the US has 0?
Even if our scene doesnt get to 400 players, we are really good, and who knows which other countries have a great scenes but just dont have any kind of exposure.

Just like you i believe in shulks potential. I hope the new youtube app to be released this august helps us to stretch the gap of exposure and allows us to develop shulks meta together in a easier way.

I go with 1111 all the way. I think Shulk is fine as is when it comes to not being a bad character. He definitely isn't a bad character. If anything, he's a good character overall. He does have a glaring issue and that's his frame data. Frame data is a liability and it's a huge one which makes Shulk difficult to use (more difficult than it should be imo but I like the challenge, and hate it at the same time). It's the reason why Shulk (at the moment) loses (although not unwinnable) against Sheik, Sonic, and Fox. It's a really really horrible to have atrocious frame data. You're forced to use your range to space your opponent out and luckily, Shulk has fantastic range (best in the game) but despite this, frame data is frame data.

Is Shulk viable? Well, sort of. Realistically, no, but then again being viable is basically being at the top 7 of the roster. It's possible to place at top 8 with anyone mid-tier up imo. Not consistently but it's something that won't come off as surprising (but it's pleasant to land at top 8 anyway). When I mean viable, I meant... you know... win a huge tournament or something like that

About customs, I won't talk about customs until they're either banned or legalized. Maybe we'll have two types of metas. Personally, I'd rather stay with the default metagame but whatever. I do like decisive arts solely because DBuster is amazing but I won't grind with it for now

Not saying Shulk is bad. He's mid-tier or upper-mid at the moment. If you're being optimistic, low part of high tier, I guess. He's not low tier though, that's something I'm 100% sure of at this point

I wouldn't mind some buffs though. I'm all for some more buffs for Shulk

Edit: Although Shulk has potential, his frame data makes his potential quite questionable to be honest

Last edited:

Linkmario00

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Linkmario00
I go with 1111 all the way. I think Shulk is fine as is when it comes to not being a bad character. He definitely isn't a bad character. If anything, he's a good character overall. He does have a glaring issue and that's his frame data. Frame data is a liability and it's a huge one which makes Shulk difficult to use (more difficult than it should be imo but I like the challenge, and hate it at the same time). It's the reason why Shulk (at the moment) loses (although not unwinnable) against Sheik, Sonic, and Fox. It's a really really horrible to have atrocious frame data. You're forced to use your range to space your opponent out and luckily, Shulk has fantastic range (best in the game) but despite this, frame data is frame data.

Is Shulk viable? Well, sort of. Realistically, no, but then again being viable is basically being at the top 7 of the roster. It's possible to place at top 8 with anyone mid-tier up imo. Not consistently but it's something that won't come off as surprising (but it's pleasant to land at top 8 anyway). When I mean viable, I meant... you know... win a huge tournament or something like that

About customs, I won't talk about customs until they're either banned or legalized. Maybe we'll have two types of metas. Personally, I'd rather stay with the default metagame but whatever. I do like decisive arts solely because DBuster is amazing but I won't grind with it for now

Not saying Shulk is bad. He's mid-tier or upper-mid at the moment. If you're being optimistic, low part of high tier, I guess. He's not low tier though, that's something I'm 100% sure of at this point

I wouldn't mind some buffs though. I'm all for some more buffs for Shulk

Edit: Although Shulk has potential, his frame data makes his potential quite questionable to be honest
True. Wthout MA Shulk would be bottom 5, but probably MA can't transform him into a top 8 character alone. If we want frame data buffs (only buffs that would actually be useful right now) we have to pay attention. Frame data is really the only single thing that Shulk doesn't have (for the rest he can be the best in the game if he wants) and it makes Shulk less viable only becuase it's the very very very worst in the game. Like @ kenniky kenniky said a Shulk with Ike's frame data would be like top 3 for sure or more. So I say that buffs to startup and endlag re fair but giving Shulk also consistently less Landing lag and maybe autocancels would be Dangerous.

My issue is, if people adapt to Shulk's frame data later on, it will get ugly and we will be praying for those frame data buffs. I don't think having Ike's frame data would make Shulk an auto top-tier. If you want to make him a top tier, you're gonna need more than Ike's frame data. Just refer to @SiLeNtDo0m 's paste bin if you want a top tier threat

At the moment, Shulk isn't a bad character. Don't worry. Lol. I don't think he's low tier and no one is saying anything. I'm just saying, it could get worse if people start adapting to his frame data. His future (if we're ignoring future patches) will depend on how much we innovate with the Monado arts. They're gonna adapt to Shulk's atrocious frame data sooner or later, so might as well get creative with the Monado arts if you want to deal with this. I guess

If I were you guys, I'd main at least 2 characters. Or 3. Considering the patches, you'll never know who gets buffed or nerfed. I think I'm convinced on sticking with Shulk for obvious reasons. Might pick up Pit though even if I hate his voice. He's fun to use and I'm gambling on him not being affected by patch updates most of the time. Also gonna stick to Zard because ****, I love how ridiculous he is with rage

Linkmario00

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Linkmario00
I don't think having Ike's frame data would make Shulk an auto top-tier.
Are you saying a Bair that comes out at frame seven and autocancel wouldn't be like one of the best move in the game lol? Or having also an Fair that autocancels? A Dtilt at frame 7 that combos? A faster Nair?
Joke apart, I didn't say that Shulk is a bad character. Sure our frame data will be a big threath for us. New techs with MAs wil be fundamental if we can find them.

I know you didn't say Shulk is a bad character

I'd love a frame speed buff for b-air though (and for pretty much all of his moves). Lmao

ExcaliburGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ExcaliburGuy
3DS FC
0817-4246-5421
As much as I'd love a buff for Shulk, there are characters who definitely need it more. Zeldur, Flaco, Lonik, and Swordfighter could all greatly benefit from the Ike treatment. Marth and Lucina, too. With Roy here, these too become even more obscure than they were. Especially Lucina. There is literally no reason to use her now. Of course they'll probably just nerf Roy and call it a day.

Last edited:

Sandfall

Stage Designer
I know you didn't say Shulk is a bad character

I'd love a frame speed buff for b-air though (and for pretty much all of his moves). Lmao
How much of a frame buff on his moves do you think Shulk would need to be top tier, but not broken?

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
Ike's frame data is better, but not good. Having even that frame data would make Shulk really, really good, though. That's what I meant.

notyourparadigm

Smash Apprentice
NNID
notyourparadigm
3DS FC
4098-3767-3581
Sorry to change the subject, but I'm not sure that this question is deserving of it's own thread so I'll just ask it here. Do we know of anyone in particular who'll be repping Shulk at EVO this weekend?

TrueSapphire

Smash Apprentice
Well, this is kinda funny, at least for me.

So this has been on my mind for a few months. There was a small possibility I could have went to EVO. Why? Because I live in Las Vegas!

The problem is that they only allowed something like Gamecube controllers, not the 3DS one. With no experience playing on the Wii U version and looking at a big screen while playing as Shulk, it would be a disaster.

Maybe next time... :ohwell:

Last edited:

ExcaliburGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ExcaliburGuy
3DS FC
0817-4246-5421
I kind of wish that EVO would take place at a more central location. Los Vegas is a looooong way from FarmVille, Indiana. Of course I don't have much of a right to complain; there are people from different nations going to EVO.

Top Bottom