• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Shulk Social : Starting to feel it!

Linkmario00

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Linkmario00
I almost cried. Who am I kidding, I cried. A lot. I'm still crying. RIP Iwata, you were a great man.

The new banner is great. Although I (and everyone knows this) had my differences with how the company (Nintendo) was being managed, Iwata was definitely important to Nintendo. He was responsible for being a part of the (and also leading) the company that keeps us happy. He's also the reason why Nintendo was such a HUGE hit last generation (DS and Wii sales were phenomenal). He's done so much for the gaming industry and for us gamers

Thank you so much Iwata. We understand

No point of looking back though. Just look forward, think about the future, and move on, I guess

Last edited:

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
"When Yamauchi passed, I felt the same sense of deep loss that I do now."
"While I was reading the news, his family and his life were all I thought about. Everyone in this industry has something they want to bring to life... worlds, people, stories, experiences... so they worked hard to create them. And they succeeded."
"Shulk, Iwata would tell you the same thing. He wanted to bring Nintendo to the world. Or rather, he wanted to bring creations like us to the world. And we're here now. So, I will not cry."

"Believe me, I am always just trying to understand."
dunbanshulk.png

TrueSapphire

Smash Apprentice
A tribute to Satoru Iwata from the fans of Xenoblade and X. Despite my basic Photoshop skills, I poured my feelings into this and learned a few things on Photoshop. Credit to Evergreen-Symphony on DeviantArt for the heart emoticons and the upper-left menu text box.

Iwata_Affinity.jpg

Last edited:

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
A tribute to Satoru Iwata from the fans of Xenoblade and X. Despite my basic Photoshop skills, I poured my feelings into this and learned a few things on Photoship. Credit to Evergreen-Symphony on DeviantArt for the heart emoticons and the upper-left menu text box.

View attachment 61591
"Doumo arigatou gozaima****a"

I concur.

Kanashii desu ne... Demo, Iwata-san wa atarashii inochi e ikima****a.

Linkmario00

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Linkmario00
No point of looking back though. Just look forward, think about the future, and move on, I guess
I agree sooooo much on this. We have to be optimistic about the future and we can't cry forever. There will be a new president that will be awesome things thanks to what Iwata has done. We have to remember and thank him but Nintendo is not dead with him. I'm sure Iwata would agree. Iwata loved Nintendo. Iwata's LIFE was Nintendo. So we have to continue to support Nintendo. He certainly prepared a lot of things before his death. We wouldn't be here without Iwata-san, but like our dear Shulk'd say "The future is ours to decide". This is what Iwata's death has thaught to me.

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
:p

My god I hate to see someone so important to me and to many many others go. It made me realize that life can be short and we need to do all that we can in our lives and enjoy ourselves. That's why i am going to try to talk to you guys more, to enjoy myself and maybe bring some joy to others. Whether you think me as a friend of not. I will try to make you laugh and enjoy your lives just a little bit more. I wished that we could of changed the future, but I understand that isn't possible yet.

@ Monado Master Monado Master : I sincerely hope you meant "peace" :p

I concur, it is said to see him go, especially so young. Like @ AlvisCPU AlvisCPU , my parents are that age too... Whether he was Christian or not, I offer my prayers for him...
I see that now. I'll change it to peace.

Last edited:

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
I see that now. I'll change it to peace.
Yeah, I've seen several other people on the forum make the same mistake... And in your signature, as well.

Well, on a lighter topic, I bought and downloaded Shovel Knight... So far, the ground I've broken is the first three levels. Dark Knight, King Knight, and Specter Knight have all thrown in the trowel. I even cleared Specter's stage without dying. :)

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Today is the one-year anniversary of Monado Monday. Enjoy my good friend Shulk :)

The boards seem to be quiet for today....
Don't know about anyone else but I'm still rolling in sadness about Iwata... haven't really felt like posting much. Or about anything else. It'll pass I guess...

Last edited:

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
Today is the one-year anniversary of Monado Monday. Enjoy my good friend Shulk :)

Don't know about anyone else but I'm still rolling in sadness about Iwata... haven't really felt like posting much. Or about anything else. It'll pass I guess...
Yea I'm not really feeling it today either.

Linkmario00

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Linkmario00
What type of Jump (SH, FH, DJ) do you normally use for MALLC? Do you use the fastfall version? Personally I prefer doing a FH, FF or not is indifferent, because I feel there isn't much time to do the SH version correctly and I don'tuse DJ for oobvious reasons. Do you think I should learn the SH version?
Also, I noticed that with time you learn the timing of MALLC even when falling down after being hit, so if you master it and you're able to space properly your Bair it becomes an amazing landing tool which we unfortunately lack. MALLC is such a great technique man.

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
What type of Jump (SH, FH, DJ) do you normally use for MALLC? Do you use the fastfall version? Personally I prefer doing a FH, FF or not is indifferent, because I feel there isn't much time to do the SH version correctly and I don'tuse DJ for oobvious reasons. Do you think I should learn the SH version?
Also, I noticed that with time you learn the timing of MALLC even when falling down after being hit, so if you master it and you're able to space properly your Bair it becomes an amazing landing tool which we unfortunately lack. MALLC is such a great technique man.
Full hop -> apex B -> Jump MALLC
Full hop -> mash B -> Speed MALLC
Short hop DJ -> mash B -> Shield MALLC
FULL HOP DJ -> mash B -> Buster MALLC

ExcaliburGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ExcaliburGuy
3DS FC
0817-4246-5421
The way I usually MALLC is a usually with a non fast fall short hop. For example, if I want to MALLC using Buster, I would press B once while standing still, dash and press B twice more, turn around and jump towards the opponent, press B for the last time at the apex of the short hop, and throw out the back air.

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
So is MALLC really that good? Because whenever I do it Shulk refuses to do anything for a second and I get hit or killed because Shulk didn't do anything when I mashed the c stick. Is it a glitch, mistake, my controller, something? I'd love to get even better at Shulk then I already am because I want to change the future (my fg records)!!!

Last edited:
So is MALLC really that good? Because whenever I do it Shulk refuses to do anything for a second and I get hit or killed because Shulk didn't do anything when I mashed the c stick. Is it a glitch, mistake, my controller, something? I'd love to get even better at Shulk then I already am because I want to change the future (my fg records)!!!
It is good

If that's happening, then you're not doing MALLC

ExcaliburGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ExcaliburGuy
3DS FC
0817-4246-5421
Yeah, it is. A back air like Shulk's that has no landing lag is nuts. I've also started edgeguards with Jump MALLC forward air into forward air many times before. As for your problem, you may not be taking into account hitlag, which will mess up the timing.

This is a great guide courtesy of Jerm that tells when you have to start activating your Monado Arts.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=34v54e5lhjQ

Also, I wouldn't worry about FG records too much. I have something really scrubtastic like 50% for my win percentage, the reason being that I was really bad at this game for several months after launch. I lost so many FG matches that my win percentage is going to stay the same for a long, long time. I also play Anther's Ladder now, so For Glory is just now relegated to something I screw around on.

Last edited:

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, it is. A back air like Shulk's that has no landing lag is nuts. I've also started edgeguards with Jump MALLC forward air into forward air many times before. As for your problem, you may not be taking into account hitlag, which will mess up the timing.

This is a great guide courtesy of Jerm that tells when you have to start activating your Monado Arts.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=34v54e5lhjQ

Also, I wouldn't worry about FG records too much. I have something really scrubtastic like 50% for my win percentage, the reason being that I was really bad at this game for several months after launch. I lost so many FG matches that my win percentage is going to stay the same for a long, long time. I also play Anther's Ladder now, so is just For Glory is relegated to something I screw around on.
Same, my fg records on my 3ds in like 55% win. On the Wii u its like 65%? I haven't checked in a while. But if MALLC is really that good I'll keep trying. It's just that almost every time I hit with the b-air. And why use a move that can leave you wide open if messed up which is very easy to do, or use a n-air (to cancel landing lag) -> short hop -> B-Air for better accuracy and power if a Monado art is on like buster for damage or smash for killing power.

I won a tournament :D

Went Shulk all the way except for like one game, where I used Zard because I wanted to try him out. Repping buster art and b-air really hard

TrueSapphire

Smash Apprentice
From my experiences in both FG and Anther's Ladder, without my MALLC, I probably would not defeated some of my tougher opponents.

Zensor

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sebdude198
3DS FC
1289-8462-4385

Went Shulk all the way except for like one game, where I used Zard because I wanted to try him out. Repping buster art and b-air really hard
Good job! Well done

Linkmario00

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Linkmario00

Is there any video of that? I'd love to see your Shulk in action

Lord Xanthan

Smash Cadet
NNID
Master_Xanthan

Nice job! At the moment my main goal is just to get top 3 at a local tournament. Winning one though, is really impressive.

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
My goal is to get to a local tournament by the end of the summer :p

I'm probably gonna get my license in a few weeks so that should help at least.

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
I won a local tournament with Shulk as well. I did better then usual so yea that's a thing appearly. There were some tough opponents some weak and I had a lot of fun. There were a LOT of bad match ups against Shulk and someone even said there's no way that I'd ever win against them and the tournament. He was the first one that lost against me. I liked the people there and there was even another Shulk main and we learned different things from each other and he was the finalist along with me, so we had a awesome Shulk v Shulk fight as the finale.
Geez he could counter, but like most fg Shulks that was his downfall. I also started using my "signature" combo and "signature" move during this tournament.

Edit: if anyone is wandering (although I doubt anyone really does) my "signature" combo is beginning of the match neutral Shulk n-air to up tilt to short hop f-air to up smash/forward smash/ down smash. I'm also doing some work seeing if this combo works with other arts mainly buster for like 15% or more damage. I'd love to get a name for this combo but I'm not that kind of creative, so maybe someone else can get a name for it?
And my "signature move" is speed art backwards pivot short hop b-air which I call Back air blitz. Which now that I think about it that could be really good with MALLC for those that can use it properly.

Last edited:
Edit: if anyone is wandering (although I doubt anyone really does) my "signature" combo is beginning of the match neutral Shulk n-air to up tilt to short hop f-air to up smash/forward smash/ down smash. I'm also doing some work seeing if this combo works with other arts mainly buster for like 15% or more damage. I'd love to get a name for this combo but I'm not that kind of creative, so maybe someone else can get a name for it?

And my "signature move" is speed art backwards pivot short hop b-air which I call Back air blitz. Which now that I think about it that could be really good with MALLC for those that can use it properly.
Huh? N-air > U-tilt > F-air > Smash attack? Pretty sure that isn't a true combo even in buster art at lower percents. The first 3 hits are a true combo (not in buster). The last one seems more like a gamble or read

And we don't call it back air blitz. We call it RAR B-air. RAR meaning reverse aerial rush

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Nice job with the tournament! My goal's to make it to be a Top 10 regular, but going to keep pushing to be the best. I know I can hold my own with the current top guys if they don't play Sheik or Ness, but they're all super-solid. Best thing is, within the current Top 10, no two people play the same character. Variety ftw. But yeah, just got to work on certain matchups and learn more of that infinitely vast pool of "fundamentals".

Huh? N-air > U-tilt > F-air > Smash attack? Pretty sure that isn't a true combo even in buster art at lower percents. The first 3 hits are a true combo (not in buster). The last one seems more like a gamble or read
I took it to mean as a string. Sounds like it could be pretty good at low%s if you can read into a Smash attack or grabbing their shield. I used to open with Speed nair->dtilt->grab->bthrow->Back Slash a lot. The whole thing doesn't true combo (the last hit) but it's nice and I can always just not do the last hit or switch it up if I don't want to. I feel I should learn to nair->utilt.
And we don't call it back air blitz. We call it RAR B-air. RAR meaning reverse aerial rush
Both sound equally edgy :laugh: but yeah, RAR dude. It's one of the few bits of Smash jargon that I actually understand.

I usually go for the sure-combos. Something like buster art d-throw > f-smash or d-tilt > f-smash or n-air > d-throw > f-smash. I'm getting a better grasp on the Sheik match-up. It's still annoying af but I think I can handle it for as long as I'm not too safe. I feel like I play too carefully against Sheik, so I'm not really getting anywhere against her. I probably need to dish out buster way more often because that worked for me most of the time instead of camping and being a wuss in shield art. Ness isn't difficult at all to be honest. Only thing that annoys me is his b-throw so I make it a point to never go into smash art

Last edited:

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Yeah I don't know why Ness gives me that much trouble, I guess I keep running into PK Fire. Plus we do have a really good Ness player in my area. Still need to read that matchup chat, and rejoin conversations outside of this one :p

Yeah, Sheik though, I feel Buster is better than expected. Just got to play a really good spacing game and keep her out of your face.

smokebomb12

Banned via Administration
NNID
SmokebombX13
3DS FC
5198-3160-1382
I almost cried. Who am I kidding, I cried. A lot. I'm still crying. RIP Iwata, you were a great man.
A tribute to Satoru Iwata from the fans of Xenoblade and X. Despite my basic Photoshop skills, I poured my feelings into this and learned a few things on Photoshop. Credit to Evergreen-Symphony on DeviantArt for the heart emoticons and the upper-left menu text box.

View attachment 61591
He will be missed.

TheHopefulHero

Smash Apprentice
I usually go for the sure-combos. Something like buster art d-throw > f-smash or d-tilt > f-smash or n-air > d-throw > f-smash. I'm getting a better grasp on the Sheik match-up. It's still annoying af but I think I can handle it for as long as I'm not too safe. I feel like I play too carefully against Sheik, so I'm not really getting anywhere against her. I probably need to dish out buster way more often because that worked for me most of the time instead of camping and being a wuss in shield art. Ness isn't difficult at all to be honest. Only thing that annoys me is his b-throw so I make it a point to never go into smash art
Agreed. We can't just stay back and play it safe all the time. We're going to have to take some risks if we to get anywhere in some matches. I've been sort of playing that way since a lot of people I fight seem to react perfectly when I try to attack, and I get punished in the end.

Linkmario00

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Linkmario00
Agreed. We can't just stay back and play it safe all the time. We're going to have to take some risks if we to get anywhere in some matches. I've been sort of playing that way since a lot of people I fight seem to react perfectly when I try to attack, and I get punished in the end.
Like a member of SB said one time (I don't remember who is sorry), "If you want to win you have to attack at a certain point. Unless you're Olimar".

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman

Yea the last hit is a bit of a gamble but something doing something else after the 3 hits can work like once I got a counter off after the first 3 hits because the dk had a neutral b charged up and I knew he'd use it. I'll do some tests later today to see what else and what other arts this combo and be used with.

And yea I know its called RAR B-Air but "back air blitz" sounds better to me.

And uh I'm having trouble doing grabs. Is there anything that can help me. I know about the speed art reverse pivot grab(I think I said that correctly), but that doesn't work for me and I do not know why.

Last edited:

Sandfall

Stage Designer
And uh I'm having trouble doing grabs. Is there anything that can help me. I know about the speed art reverse pivot grab(I think I said that correctly), but that doesn't work for me and I do not know why.
Just practice in training mode until you have a good grasp of your grab range.

Grabs are one thing I'm good at getting, however I suck at following up on them :p

I need to work on that a bit.

Lord Xanthan

Smash Cadet
NNID
Master_Xanthan
Yea the last hit is a bit of a gamble but something doing something else after the 3 hits can work like once I got a counter off after the first 3 hits because the dk had a neutral b charged up and I knew he'd use it. I'll do some tests later today to see what else and what other arts this combo and be used with.

And yea I know its called RAR B-Air but "back air blitz" sounds better to me.

If the problem with the pivot grab is that you're accidentally doing an f-tilt after pivoting, what you need to do is pivot and press z (or whatever you set as the grab button) at the same time. If you don't, it comes out as a pivot f-tilt instead.

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
Geez, how many PM devs play Shulk? There's @SiLeNtDo0m and @ Sandfall Sandfall , and I haven't seen many other PM devs around SmashBoards.

Edit: mfw autocorrect

Last edited:
Top Bottom