• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cincinnati House Tournament - Tyr vs. Overswarm and Tactical

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
@ZMan, Deva did not win that set he admits it in the thread he posted them on. He just posted the ones he won. Also Overswarm told me that DSF was high during that set. Plus it's just a money match and not a tournament match.

Clowsui is right. Just because Lucas can compete against the top characters and players doesn't mean he will win and historically hasn't been.

~Pink Fresh~

Smash Master
Try if you could also take into account the region me and okin are playing in.
Yes we did fairly poor but we both had hard brackets, i lost to Boss 2-1 and a falco player 2-1, i ended up going 2-2 which was breaking even and i believe okin did the same. One loss to Lobos and i dont know the other.
Then i went to Little Rock arkansas and went through with a breeze until i got to a wario main and i couldnt handle it.

I never played melee for real so im far behind but im tryin to catch up. I think if me and okin could just break down our playstyles and just explain what we do we can build as lucas mains.

For me, i go through phases, first was dair phase because i really liked the damage and the follow up to it if you get all the hits.

Dair-> dtilt->fsmash
Footstool->dair->dair
Dair->utilt.

Then i hit the jab cancle, (works magic people).

Now i made my own playstyle with things i know work for me. Im not a dair lucas, im all about nair, jab, jab cancle, pkf.

1x jab->Nair>utilt (fav thing in the world)
2x jab->dtilt->ftilt
(starting combo) 2x Ftilt[angled downwards] try it. suprise lol
Nair->2x jab->ftilt

2x jab means 2 hits 1x is one his so on and so on lol

that is what my game consists of ^^.
Most used aproach for me is airdodge because you can buff the attack to come out fast once you land.
Also, i run away instead of rolling.

any one else?
i have a weird playstyle.

as for combos, everything depends on percentage.
i can almost always trip whenever i use dtilt. so dtilt to something(any%). I've been told i have very good spacing.
fair -> dtilt lock. (it works sometimes @ mid%)
utilt -> utilt -> uair follow up with something based on prediction. (low %)
dtilt -> 2x jab -> grab/dsmash (any%)
2x jab -> dtilt trip -> fsmash (high%)
dair -> dtilt lock -> fsmash (high%)
dair -> ftilt (low to mid)
dair -> 2x jab -> ftilt (low to mid%
dair -> 2x jab -> dtilt -> 3x jab (low to mid%)
ftilt -> dtilt lock (mid%)
dthrow -> utilt -> foxtrot -> pivot grab (low%)
nair -> ftilt (any%)
nair -> uair -> more prediction stuff (low%)
dthrow -> nair (low%)
nair -> utilt -> uair -> ...prediction crap

idk that's pretty much me for combos.
then comes spacing blah blah blah. i use pk fire often. it refreshes moves and spaces well. i appraoch with dair, nair, retreating rar uair (mindgame), SHAD, empty SH. dash to shield. i'm working on running when i make a mistake instead of rolling.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Dtilt has a higher chance of tripping on the tip of Lucas's foot. But you're pretty much never spaced just right for that when you're trying to do it as part of a "combo." I almost never trust Dtilt.

~Pink Fresh~

Smash Master
All the dtilt trips is luck, so they arent even 50% gaurented.
Hope they come often
Dtilt has a higher chance of tripping on the tip of Lucas's foot. But you're pretty much never spaced just right for that when you're trying to do it as part of a "combo." I almost never trust Dtilt.
what tyr said.
i pretty much know the range of dtilt, so i can "tip for trip" the majority of the time.
plus at higher % jab seems to pop them up and away. if you jab twice cancel it and dtilt, they're usually at the tip. i don't really rely on tripping for combos. it just helps if i do get a trip.

Question: is it 100% trip rate on the tip?

~Pink Fresh~

Smash Master
on topic: really?
if i tip it the opponents usually trips. just go to training and hit with the tip. maybe it's like 80-95% or some crap.

off topic: Hey noraa, do you know DK SmAsH and Turbogilman?

Chuee

Smash Hero
lucas can beat top tiers. Its perfectly possible. If low tiers couldnt beat high tiers would they even bother having tournies? There are tons of pros out there that use low tiers and still **** like Izaw, anther, etc.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
give me results from a tournament in the United States that Izaw has won. And Pikachu is not low tier.

Noraa

Smash Lord
Yes i know DK smash, i beat him at a cyberden tourny and i know of turbo but never met or played him

lil cj

Smash Lord
Those were some good combo ideas Noraa and Pink Fresh
Maybe someone should make a thread that list every possible combo that Lucas can do:)

~Pink Fresh~

Smash Master
Yes i know DK smash, i beat him at a cyberden tourny and i know of turbo but never met or played him
aw crap, well i go to they're house often to play and i was hoping we could meet up there or something, but nevermind.

prOAPC

Smash Lord
i like dtilt, but i try not to overused it. At mid %, 2 jabs space the opponent perfectly to a dtilt trip, i do it pretty often, my friends call it "123 combo" lol. I didn't know that there are some other Lucas that uses jab cancel, i just knew about Noraa and me.

~Pink Fresh~

Smash Master
i like dtilt, but i try not to overused it. At mid %, 2 jabs space the opponent perfectly to a dtilt trip, i do it pretty often, my friends call it "123 combo" lol. I didn't know that there are some other Lucas that uses jab cancel, i just knew about Noraa and me.
mid%???
i thought it was high.
do you have numbers of the %?

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Most opponents tend to DI away from jabs. A lot of times they can space themselves outside the range of your third jab which is a huge reason to jab cancel atleast on occasion. Is this factored into your testing?

~Pink Fresh~

Smash Master
Most opponents tend to DI away from jabs. A lot of times they can space themselves outside the range of your third jab which is a huge reason to jab cancel atleast on occasion. Is this factored into your testing?
yup! i'm pretty sure that's why they land in dtilt's "trip" range.
unless they have a really fast aerial, they should get hit and pop up a little. Land (few frames of lag) + falling (few frames of lag) = enough time to dtilt.

prOAPC

Smash Lord
we need another Omelete thread, and so far, this is the closest topic to become omelete we have, so i'll post here.
I was reading some of those threads calles "Weekly Character Discussion" and Lucas doesn't have his own yet :( Does anybody know when we'll have our topic? I'd be fun to watch some of those top players talking about a character they don't know much about

ToxiCrow

Smash Ace
Off-topic:the toilet is backed up, so i poured in some draino and now i cant go for another six hours:mad: and i dont use other toilets; i feel too vunerable
*sigh*
On-topic: if no one else does it, i'll make a new omelet thread.
i guess most people just dont really care to learn lucas. with the tournament scene the way it is right now, people are just going to learn how to play the characters that they know will hav a better shot of winning. unfortunately, lucas doesnt win that much. someone would hav to master (emphasis on master) all of his strengths and weaknesses so that they can dominate with him. but no one wants to spend their time doing so, especially when characters such as Diddy seem like the better option.
(but the lucas boarders are trying their best to make lucas a better character and i giv credit to those who are contributing)
i'm still hopeful tho. maybe one day we'll see a great lucas player. who knows, maybe we'll even see him above low tier.

noamazinglucas+cloggedtoilet= :mad:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I heard that they'll do Lucas and Ness near the end. And at the rate it's going, that doesn't sound too inaccurate.

If they say that Lucas's recovery is terrible and/or easy to gimp I might fffff. <_<

prOAPC

Smash Lord
toxicrow, you are taking too long to make that omelete
has anyone tried this? We all know that throwing an item and using the second jump at the same time, will result in a zap jump, can we get a wavebouncing effect using and item? Can someone try it?

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
I actually represent ROB more than other chars. Lucario, marth, diddy and some others mostly. Anyway Wavebouncing is not a PK Fire mechanic since u can wavebounce every B move for EVERY character. I wavebounce snakes C4 by mistake at times lol. I can try to wavebounce the item but i highly doubt it'll work.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
I'm pretty sure wavebouncing is limited to B moves. So it won't work with items.

F-haru 1952

Smash Rookie
I just saw the first MM video and read the first page of posts, but Brinstar is an awful level against MK IMO. You have basically no safe places from where to break the tornado, and (apparently) it's ridiculously easy for MK to kill with dair at the sides.

Will watch the other vids in a bit.

Top Bottom