• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chimp Charts: The Diddy Kong Matchup Thread - Seeking New Ownership

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedBeefBaron

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Redbeefbaron
The jab 1 cancel was our whole close-quarter game. Jab 1 led to grab, dsmash and utilt and was our only safe ground move to pressure shields.
I know it was sweet and honestly I don't really agree with it being removed but this can't just be the end of the world for link players. The simple jab combo will push the opponent back and in Diddy's case to where he doesn't want be, as then he has to get in on the projectiles again.

Losing the safety on shield hits really sucks too, but Link should be trying to prevent Diddy from getting that close anyway, because he wants to keep Diddy out with projectiles and disjoints. Link's grab is risky but quick on startup with good range, which he can use to pressure shields in some way. What did they change about Link's throws?

Once Diddy does get in past your sword you're obviously at a major disadvantage but that would probably be the case even with the jab cancel. Diddy has to get in more times than before now though since he does much less damage and knockback since the patch.

I cant really see this being more lopsided than 7-3 Diddy at the absolute worst.

Last edited:

FSK

Smash Ace
I know it was sweet and honestly I don't really agree with it being removed but this can't just be the end of the world for link players. The simple jab combo will push the opponent back and in Diddy's case to where he doesn't want be, as then he has to get in on the projectiles again.

Losing the safety on shield hits really sucks too, but Link should be trying to prevent Diddy from getting that close anyway, because he wants to keep Diddy out with projectiles and disjoints. Link's grab is risky but quick on startup with good range, which he can use to pressure shields in some way. What did they change about Link's throws?

Once Diddy does get in past your sword you're obviously at a major disadvantage but that would probably be the case even with the jab cancel. Diddy has to get in more times than before now though since he does much less damage and knockback since the patch.

I cant really see this being more lopsided than 7-3 Diddy at the absolute worst.
It was great a tool. Its not the end of the world in the sense you could still choose to play Link. He is just in no way viable in any competitive sense. Although he wasn't that viable to begin with. Most of the Link community agreed that the Jab lock (which was not an infinite and way overhyped) should be removed. But we had no idea Nintendo would remove it in the worst possible way.

Sadly Link's projectiles are slow and telegraphed. An opponent that is fast and knows of to shield will not struggle too much getting through the spam. The jab is extremely unsafe on shield and we have to be very careful now when using it. Diddy is also small and Link struggles with small characters.

Link players should indeed prevent Diddy from getting close, but this is also impossible to do because of speed difference. Diddy will get in and when he does its very difficult to get him out. Diddy juggles Link extremely well, this is because of Link's weight class, Diddy's uair outprioritizes Link's dair and nair and Diddy has better aerial mobility than Link.

Link's grab is actually slow and the range is not that good either. Link's backthrow has less knockback, thats all they changed. Link can't combo anything from backthrow so it doesn't matter.

The damage nerf its not that important for Diddy in this matchup (imo) because he juggles Link so well, he will build the damage easily anyway.

Maybe 80:20 is too high but its at least 70:30.

Link's advantages in this matchup is that he can gimp Diddy if diddy is not careful. Nair works great to gimp the barrels. Diddy is also fairly light meaning we can KO diddy early. Although we don't have any reliable KO setups anymore.

Maybe if you watch Kirin vs Player-1 you will agree more? Kirin is the best Link player in the world atm. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zM5QgIjuwss (match starts at 23 minutes)

Last edited:

RedBeefBaron

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Redbeefbaron
It was great a tool. Its not the end of the world in the sense you could still choose to play Link. He is just in no way viable in any competitive sense. Although he wasn't that viable to begin with. Most of the Link community agreed that the Jab lock (which was not an infinite and way overhyped) should be removed. But we had no idea Nintendo would remove it in the worst possible way.

Sadly Link's projectiles are slow and telegraphed. An opponent that is fast and knows of to shield will not struggle too much getting through the spam. The jab is extremely unsafe on shield and we have to be very careful now when using it. Diddy is also small and Link struggles with small characters.

Link players should indeed prevent Diddy from getting close, but this is also impossible to do because of speed difference. Diddy will get in and when he does its very difficult to get him out. Diddy juggles Link extremely well, this is because of Link's weight class, Diddy's uair outprioritizes Link's dair and nair and Diddy has better aerial mobility than Link.

Link's grab is actually slow and the range is not that good either. Link's backthrow has less knockback, thats all they changed. Link can't combo anything from backthrow so it doesn't matter.

The damage nerf its not that important for Diddy in this matchup (imo) because he juggles Link so well, he will build the damage easily anyway.

Maybe 80:20 is too high but its at least 70:30.

Link's advantages in this matchup is that he can gimp Diddy if diddy is not careful. Nair works great to gimp the barrels. Diddy is also fairly light meaning we can KO diddy early. Although we don't have any reliable KO setups anymore.

Maybe if you watch Kirin vs Player-1 you will agree more? Kirin is the best Link player in the world atm. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zM5QgIjuwss
Fair enough. I can respect 7-3 much more than 8-2. And for the record, it's really not cool at all that removing the crouch canceling on jab 1 entirely was their solution for removing the infinite. Especially since he got nothing but spin attack knockback in return. Pretty lazy fix. I'm sorry that this has happened to you Link mains.

Last edited:

wildvine47

Smash Ace
It's been a long time since I've been on the boards. Started going back to tournaments the past 2-3 months and I've been able to place top 3 at all of the ones I've entered, so I thought I'd be able to contribute to the boards again.

Didn't expect us to be this far behind on match discussions though. Anyway, Lil Will is right, we really do need to reset and prioritize more important match ups. Starting with Sheik, Rosa, or Sonic. Imo, those are the 3 that require the most match up specific knowledge.

Also, having this thread for a consolidated match up collection is great, but we should be providing more than just links to posts. We should be generating a link to that match up thread that lists how to play each part of the match up; talk about our best ground and aerial options, when it's safe/unsafe to approach, opposing frame data that may catch us off guard, etc.

Finally, in the spoiler tags, we need to decide on a specific match up difficulty ie. 50-50 for Diddy vs Diddy.
I agree that with Mewtwo's patch now having gone through, that a reset is in order. For now I'll leave what we've done, but those characters we've already done are now eligible to be re-done as people want them to be re-done.

The idea to give each matchup it's own thread is a good one, but I'm worried about creating an entire new thread on the boards just for no one to post in it. On Dedede week in this thread we didn't have any Diddy mains come in to discuss, and it took an extra week for any Link discussion to happen.

Also, as for matchup difficulties, I'd originally included them in the OP, but found that very few people were actually including them in their posts. Rather than just take one person's matchup numbers and say that was final, I decided to simply remove them until the thread started to get a decent amount of traffic for each week.

As I said before, this is my first time running a matchup thread like this, so I appreciate the advice.

Also, since a lot of people seem to want to discuss her, I'm going to go ahead and declare this Rosalina week! I'll leave the discussion in this thread for one more week, and depending on feedback, we can move to an individual thread either next week or even before then if it's a unanimous decision.

Get to discussing :rosalina: y'all.

RedBeefBaron

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Redbeefbaron
I'm not as familiar with Rosaluma as I could be but some things I'd like to say:

Diddy can pressure Rosalina in a way that makes knocking Luma off stage or killing it easier than usual. Aggressive B-reverse banana plucks trap her while Diddy approaches and reacts to her defense. When Rosalina defends against this the Luma is left open because Luma vunerable when she shields, dodges, or runs. Luma cannot defend like this, and gets his hard when Rosalina over-commits to defense. Characters that can pressure Rosalina's shield will have an easier time killing Luma, and Diddy with a banana set up is the king of confusing shield pressure. Monkey flip can still knock Luma off the stage safely in a lot of situations too.

Rosalina would get bodied once Diddy gets in, right? She is floaty with bad aerial mobility and bad options at disadvantage and will get juggled for days if Diddy gets her in the air, especially if Luma is dead. Diddy will get more reward for getting in than usual.

Rosalina is light so the knockback nerfs aren't as significant in this matchup.

I still say Diddy wins at least 6-4, it could easily be more soundly in Diddy's favor.

Last edited:

InBOUNDHD

Smash Cadet
but what about that gravity pull? That move not only pulls the banana towards Rosalina, but also makes the banana trip diddy once it is gravity pulled.

RedBeefBaron

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Redbeefbaron
but what about that gravity pull? That move not only pulls the banana towards Rosalina, but also makes the banana trip diddy once it is gravity pulled.
This still counts as pressure that Diddy can follow up on from mid range. It's better than nothing vs bananas but gravity pull does not prevent Rosalina from getting hit as the banana falls and traps if Diddy is close enough.

Last edited:

wildvine47

Smash Ace
Right, so it doesn't look like the in-thread matchup discussion is working too well. So for this week, we'll stay on Rosalina, but I'm going to make a new thread devoted exclusively to that, to see if it works better. Bear with me guys, just trying to figure out the best method for this.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
When the Rosalina sub-forum was analyzing Diddy Kong, the overall ratio average that I got was 40:60 (60:40 under Diddy Kong's perspective). However, this was long before the release of the 1.0.6 update, so the match-up's outcome may be different now.

busken

Smash Ace
When the Rosalina sub-forum was analyzing Diddy Kong, the overall ratio average that I got was 40:60 (60:40 under Diddy Kong's perspective). However, this was long before the release of the 1.0.6 update, so the match-up's outcome may be different now.
Threads dedicated for the specific MU is way more effective from my experience. The Falco, MK, and Pit boards are doing it and it has become a great success.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Threads dedicated for the specific MU is way more effective from my experience. The Falco, MK, and Pit boards are doing it and it has become a great success.
I will be trying a different approach with Rosalina's match-up discussions, once all the non-DLC characters have been analyzed at least once.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I really doubt the matchup has changed much, if at all. Sure, pre-1.06 the U Air could kill Rosalina very very early cause of her floatiness, but Diddy is still wrecking Rosalina badly but his combos. I doubt the matchup would go anywhere lower than 55-45 for Diddy. He just beats her up good.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I really doubt the matchup has changed much, if at all. Sure, pre-1.06 the U Air could kill Rosalina very very early cause of her floatiness, but Diddy is still wrecking Rosalina badly but his combos. I doubt the matchup would go anywhere lower than 55-45 for Diddy. He just beats her up good.
This can depend on if custom specials are allowed or not though. When Rosalina starts analyzing Diddy Kong again, the scoring will be split between default specials only, and the allowance of custom specials.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Hey Diddy Kong mains! The Ganon boards are discussing the Ganon v Diddy matchup. Your feedback and insight would be highly appreciated.

Please click on the link here. You'll be directed to the post.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
To all Diddys out there, the Rosalina sub-forum has a match-up discussion thread all set up to analyze Rosalina's match-up against Diddy Kong. Got anything to share for the Rosalina vs. Diddy Kong match-up? Then head to the following thread link...

http://smashboards.com/threads/405500/

In terms of the rules, be sure to go to the directory thread.

http://smashboards.com/threads/404194/

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
I'll go ahead and join the "discussion train".

The Duck Hunt boards are discussing this MU as well and would like you input!

Click this picture of Pre-Patch Diddy to go straight to the forum!

MetalPat

Smash Ace
alright, aside from the derailment of this thread, lets get back to talking about rosalina.

I play a decent rosalina at weeklies almost every week and feel like i know a couple things that work well (not specific to diddykong but in general).

Diddy can be played cautiously or aggressive in most match ups but luckily for us rosalina has trouble with a lot of aggressive and fast characters. Diddy's banana really isn't the best in the match up other than to hit luma, or use to jump cancel up throw it, baiting the gravity pool and letting us get in for some free damage.

there are essentially two main things you want to do while playing against neutral rosa (on stage). 1 = monkeyflip all day, every day. 2 = pressure with back airs out of sheild.

Monkey flip has two great options, specifically while rosalina is at the edge. if you grapple her sheild, it hits her AND luma, knocking luma away, even knocking luma off stage if it is close enough to the edge. if you do this enough she will sidestep, or try to roll, all of which can be hit by Diddy's kick afterwards. its a very reactive tactic but it puts a lot of pressure on her as well, with the potential of knocking out luma in one hit.

the spacing is the next most important thing, as when you get in close she will try to use her tilts and jabs to keep you outside luma. you can either space back airs and fairs on luma until you do enough damage, or if you feel you understand the spacing well enough, you can actually roll in, or short hop inbetween her and luma. this gives you just enough space where she cant grab you without dropping shield. so either she moves around and tries attacking or she moves away. if she tries anything that isnt a job, you can follow up with a bair/fair out of sheild.

these are just a few things ive learned by playing against rosaluma, and i would say it is definitely in diddys favor, however if you are bad at recovering, or get juggled easily as a player, rosalina has a great early kill potential with luma dair gimps and luma uair on low ceilings.

i would say 60-40/55-45 diddys favor.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Rosalina is definitely harder than before, but to say she's the worst? I don't personally agree. Then again, I'm personally pretty good at killing off Luma, making Rosalina less of a treat than with Luma, so I could be wrong here. I personally struggle most against Sheik.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
The matchup against Rosalina is so bad that Angel Cortez, one of tristate's best Diddy Kong players, feels he needs a secondary entirely because of the nerfs to Diddy's up air. Diddy Kong might now have an unwinnable matchup. Unbelievable. How else did this balance patch mess with his viability?

wildvine47

Smash Ace
Hey sorry all for not keeping active with this thread. Recently got a job that's demanded a lot of my time, so I haven't had much free time to spend here.

If anyone wants to take over the Chimp Charts thread, go ahead and do so, as I'm not able to keep track of it. Sorry again to those who were wanting me to keep the thread active.

FUEGO!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MontyRattata
The matchup against Rosalina is so bad that Angel Cortez, one of tristate's best Diddy Kong players, feels he needs a secondary entirely because of the nerfs to Diddy's up air. Diddy Kong might now have an unwinnable matchup. Unbelievable. How else did this balance patch mess with his viability?
It would appear that our best option against luma is the improved mokey flip kick, it sends him at an angle that perfect for getting rid of him surprisingly.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Luma is sent of the stage easily with Side B's kick, that I agree with. F Tilt also sends Luma flying at a nice angle, very useful near ledges. F Air is also amazing, so is B Air. I really don't think Rosalina is all that bad for Diddy to be honest. We still kill her a lot earlier than she can kill us, especially if Luma is dealt with (which I feel Diddy does an amazing job at). Her custom projectile makes the matchup somewhat harder, but it's definitely not unwinnable. Still a solid 55:45 advantage I personally think.

Dertolo

Smash Rookie
okay guys we need to focus

trust me on this one

With customs ON, most important match ups to talk about are Rosalina, Olimar, Villager, DK and Sheik. Really put emphasis on first 2.

Anything you know, let's make this work.
Hey ZeRo! Escribiré en español porque no me manejo a la perfección en el inglés xD hablaré un poco acerca del MU Diddy vs Olimar. En lo personal, cuando enfrento a un Olimar considerado como competitivo, le doy prioridad al fair. Por ejemplo al caer. Eso me sirve para espacear, además de castigar después de un probable grab o smash fallido. El Fair tiene una respetable prioridad, por la que supera a los smash de Olimar, a menos de que sea un pikmin amarillo. A lo otro que le pongo mucho énfasis es al juego ofensivo. Lo ideal es no dejarlo pensar para que asi nunca tenga la calma para tomar buenas desiciones. La banana la ocupo pero no tanto como lo haría contra otro personaje, ya que los pikmin a veces la hacen desaparecer, lo que te deja abierto a un posible castigo. Por supuesto también hago grabs, pero solo cuando se que no me arriesgo a un castigo que en el caso de Olimar, puede ser de hasta un 40-60%. Ocupar también el dtilt con buenos followups como el upsmash son también buenas alternativas. Eso es a grandes rasgos lo que yo tomo en cuenta a la hora de enfrenar a un Olimar. Si estoy mal en algo o no estoy haciendo alguna cosa que me pueda servir, por favor hazmelo saber.
Saludos ;)

Swanky_

Smash Cadet
Anyone have advice on the Sheik and Olimar matchups? Olimar seems to be a particular pain. Getting kills seems brutal now that we lost our throw set-ups for kills.

RedBeefBaron

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Redbeefbaron
So in the Rosalina matchup if Diddy gets a % lead how does camping hard with a peel in hand work? Does Rosalina have the speed to punish peanut pressure? Can this force an approach if Diddy is willing to go for the time out?

I feel Diddy needs to play very patiently and never commit to approaching Rosalina unless he knows it will be safe. Very opportunistic, hit and run play style on big courses. Rosalina is too good defensively to play aggressively when luma is alive, IMO.

Customs off meta.

Last edited:

RedBeefBaron

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Redbeefbaron
I need some help with the ness mu someone pls help me
I don't really like that one, but its most likely even for Diddy IMO.

Try to play defensively and respond to his approach the right way. If he PK fires, monkey flip over for the punish if you're farther away or short hop over it and dash grab if you're close. If he uses dash attack or a fair approach, shield and punish with jump cancel up smash out of shield. Don't try to challenge his fair with your aerials because you lose.

Don't recklessly attack his shield as his nair and grab out of shield will punish. Don't get overzealous with your combos and try to keep them tight, because his nair is an epic combo breaker.

Try not to recover low with barrels ever, his PK thunder will gimp you. Try to monkey flip high and kick through the head of the PK thunder if you can. Use monkey flip and peanut cancels to prevent him from juggling too hard.

Pressure his landing and try to juggle as much as you can. Make him air dodge close to the ground with nair and up air from below, as he doesn't have a great way to challenge people directly below him. If you can make him air dodge to the ground you can often punish.

Pluck or z drop peels down toward him if you can force him to use PK thunder for recovery. Peels will fizzle his PKT1, knock him lower if it hits ness while he's charging it, and shorten his recovery distance if it hits PKT2.

Close stocks with dtilt to up smash and glide toss to f smash.

The hard part is that he gets way more reward than us for a clean hit or a grab confirm because of his superior damage output, kill power, and his ability to break combos. Diddy has the tools to deal with him but there's very little margin for error. I'd say its a pretty even matchup.

Last edited:

RedBeefBaron

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Redbeefbaron
Ok, double post but **** it, there clearly aren't even any mods watching this thread anyway.

I'm gonna try and grab the reins here and suggest we get some MU discussion going. How about the characters that most people seem to consider the top 3? :4sheik::4zss::4pikachu:. My opinions:

:4sheik:-50-50.
Diddy has an excellent kit for this matchup, and really makes sheik have to think about what she does more than usual in order to win. Diddy's fair will outrange hers and hit her before she can get into that optimal safe spacing zone to pressure shields. Additionally, jump cancel up smash out of shield can punish her fair pretty hard if she slips up on the timing or the spacing, which Diddy can make happen much easier than most with his great dash to shield. On the ground, Diddy's dtilt, dsmash, and ftilt out range her grounded options, and dtilt in particular makes it much harder for her to set up combos and kills out of her ftilt and dtilt due to its incredible range to speed ratio.

Monkey flip makes her think twice before trying to punish our landings with needles, as we can flip over them into her face for a punish of our own if she does it carelessly. Diddy with a peel in hand reduces the way she can maneuver around us safely, especially if the Diddy player knows how to use an aerial with banana in hand by z-dropping with an immediate aerial catch. If sheik thinks you cant sh fair with a peel in hand, punish her for it using this technique. Use glide tosses to punish and pressure from a farther range, and retreat from her spacing when shes close.

Our damage output and kill power is better than hers, point to Diddy. Get the most out of your banana confirms and throw combos, and kill with dtilt to up smash and glide toss to fsmash as with most matchups.

Shiek definitely keeps us honest with bouncing fish, needles, and her general speed and safety, which keeps Diddy from winning the matchup, but he has the tools to make this even for sure, which most characters certainly can't claim.

:4zss:- 60-40, +1 for Diddy.
ZSS is a ridiculous character balanced with some key weaknesses that Diddy happens to be able to exploit very well. Her tall frame makes her easy to hit with peels and our short hop aerials, and her light weight means our kill setups kill quite well. Her grounded options aren't so good in neutral compared to Diddy's, so she is forced to rely on SH aerials a lot. However, she doesn't really have any aerials that will cover her very well as she rises, and is quite vulnerable until the apex of her jump. Diddy's SH fair and hyphen up smash can beat her SH aerial options most of the time for this reason. She also struggles to pressure shields safely from the air so hit her with up smash OOS when you can.

Diddy's good spot dodge and great rolls can get him out of the way of her grab quite well, and he punishes a whiffed ZSS grab hard. Use your lag free aerials like SH fair and falling bair and nair to bait the grab if you can, then get out of the way.

Like most ZSS matchups you have to play pretty on point or you die at like 40%, but if Diddy can play clean he wins this.

:4pikachu:-35-65, -1.5 for Diddy.
I hate this MU. I posted this in the Pikachu thread a while ago and i think it sums it up pretty well, just add that thrown peels occasionally go right over his head which is really annoying. I think this is our worst matchup unless Luigi is worse than i think. They agreed that Pikachu is really bad for Diddy.

1. Pikachu's mobility is better than Diddy's so Diddy will not be able to get away and get 1 or 2 seconds to himself whenever he wants to safely pluck a peel in this matchup. Since the damage and KB nerfs Diddy needs to get in cleanly many more times than before and the banana is how he does this. You need to be able to stop Diddy from setting up by either patiently plucking it behind him and immediately jumping, z-catching, and fast falling back to the ground, or aggressively b-reverse plucking the banana towards the opponent from mid range and approaching with fair, dash grab, nair, and empty hop mixups as the banana falls and traps. If you can stop Diddy from setting this up successfully enough he will not get the damage output he now needs.

This is a lot harder to deal with than it sounds on paper. Even if you defend against the banana really well, say, by z-catching it and immediately throwing it away or back at Diddy, or quickly jumping and destroying it, you're still being forced into a situation where you have to do something and the grab/fair mixup is on the way. It's like how Dedede mains use gordo, it can be defended against but you have to do something, which allows Dedede to come at you the way he wants.

Except Dedede's are explaining why Gordo isn't trash. Diddy's use this strategy to make bananas the best projectile in the game. There are dozens of of ways to approach with bananas in Smash 4 because now we can repluck a banana out of our hand after the initial spawn pluck, in addition to four directions to throw and a z-drop. Different setups require different defense maneuvers. Because the Diddy player will know which way he will approach out of many setups and the opponent has to guess or react, skilled banana approaches are the most free mix up in the game. And Diddy gets a lot of reward for getting in. So use your superior mobility to either catch or destroy the banana on aggressive plucks you can punish and get in Diddy's face on patient plucks to stop these mixups before they can be set up.

As far as taking the banana away goes, air speed is good but foot speed trumps it. Because a foot speed character can just sprint across the ground as far as he needs to before jumping and z-catching the peel if its in the air. Additionally "z-scooping," or z-catching an item that is on the ground, is now a thing. Simply running up as close to a grounded banana as you can without tripping and jumping with an immediate z-scoop is a fast, lagless way to pick peels up off the ground. But it's going to be a bad idea if you have slower foot speed than Diddy, because again, Diddy's entire playstyle now revolves around using bananas to force the opponent into situations where he has the advantage. He will use grounded bananas as lures and you will get faired if he catches you going for this.

Characters like Fox, Pikachu, Falcon, Sonic and such are better at taking bananas from Diddy off the aggressive pluck and off the ground for this reason. Someone like Falco probably cannot handle this situation like that. A Diddy who knows how to get the most off of every banana and setup as many times as he can will actually force an approach himself. Which he can also use to lure people into hits, so watch that too.

You're other option is to overpower Diddy's neutral by approaching while simultaneously destroying the bananas Diddy tries to pull out to set you up. Someone like Pikachu can do this well, destroying aggressive b-reverse plucks with jumping thunderjolts and fairs on the way in. But again, if you're too telegraphed with how you try to destroy bananas the Diddy Kong will cover it and you will get faired or worse.

2. Pikachu is good enough at disadvantage to not get bodied too hard when Diddy does get in cleanly. Nair is fast enough and QA helps with landing and escapes in general in a lot of ways. You don't have to worry about getting comboed and juggled for days like some other characters do. So that's good.

3. Pikachu now beats Diddy in terms of kill power and ease of kill setups. Since the patch, Smash 4 Diddy's Achilles heel is the fact that he has terrible kill power outside of hard reads and perfect banana setups. He has reasonable moves for this though, in his F-smash which is now only a little bit more unsafe, and the second hit of his D-smash which is actually quite powerful. With customs on rocketbarrel attack is a risky yet brutal coin flip mixup that will destroy people early if Diddy can bait an air dodge, but Diddy will get hit if he misses.

If you can avoid these three things and draw stocks out for as far as you can and use your superior kill power to close stocks before Diddy lands his kill you will have a much easier time.

4. Many characters can gimp Diddy fairly easily if he has to charge the barrels because he is too low to recover with monkey flip, the hard part is actually forcing Diddy to recover low.

What I've been practicing is using Pikachu's B-reverse thunder just off stage to create a disjointed wall which will block the monkey flip from reaching the ledge and force Diddy to charge the barrels low where he is easily gimped by thunder jolt and quick attack.

But even that's hard. Monkey flip is a fast, safe, and confusing recovery since Diddy can wait to leap halfway into the stage and back to neutral where he dominates for as long as he wants. Coupled with the fact that the peanut cancel makes his movement even more crazy, I don't think most characters will be able to stop this recovery enough to put Diddy under the stage where he's screwed. Pikachu has a real shot, but you'll have to practice and have reasonable reads.

I thought Pikachu may have ended up winning this matchup pre patch if the Pikachu mains really nailed it down. Pikachu is one of the few that can can expose both Diddy's poor recovery and the banana's awful durability well, and Pikachu is also more mobile. Post patch i think Pikachu definitely wins, at least 65-45, as now Diddy has to work significantly harder.
Sorry for the walls of text. In any event this thread has been dead for too long.

Last edited:

Jaylowww

Smash Cadet
NNID
thatdudejono
3DS FC
5086-1719-4466
It'd be great if we can get discussion in this board going again; Diddy is one of the most relevant MUs in the current metagame and yet this board is dead compared to others.

The ten most relevant characters in the competitive meta aside from Diddy, according to tournament results, are:
:4sheik: :4zss: :rosalina::4falcon::4luigi::4yoshi::4sonic::4pikachu::4ness::4fox:

So I think we can start discussion with any of them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom