• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Check my Falco! Updated 12/15

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Alright, I've been practicin, goin to tournies and all, so now I wanna show you guys what I've been workin on.

Dr Peepee(Falco) vs Twitch(Fox) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97U_BCDvVj0
Dr Peepee(Falco) vs Twitch(Fox) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=926qxBr4GKQ
Dr Peepee(Falco) vs Twitch(Fox) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSSLr8SeBC4
Dr Peepee(Falco) vs Twitch(Fox) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHGE0QvGD98
Dr Peepee(Falco) vs Twitch(Sheik) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvbkugROnLk

All of these are against my 11 year old bro, but he's pretty good. Sorry in advance bout the sound and motion capture quality. If you could try to look around that and critique/comment, that would be great.

*Alright, new matches up with good quality and all. Enjoy and critique!

Dr Peepee(Falco) vs BEHR(Ganon) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-_EitCx5HE
Dr Peepee(Falco) vs Vilt(Fox) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4AzGL02MTQ

I got wayyy more doubles than singles recorded, plz critique my teamwork and other...doubles stuff.

Dr Peepee(Falco)+BEHR(CF) vs Twitch+Vilt(Jiggs) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7KgDd4j4bo
Dr Peepee(Falco)+Twitch(Fox) vs BEHR(Ganon)+Vilt(Fox) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9By5VzJh0Q
Dr Peepee+Vilt(Falcos) vs Twitch(DK)+BEHRCF) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI-HCx89ECc
Dr Peepee(Falco)+BEHR(CF) vs Twitch+Vilt(Foxes) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyZ14k-_OdM

I'm still learnin, so don't hold any criticism back!

Cinder

Smash Master
Not bad...I only saw the first one, but it was pretty good...I noticed a few full jumps, but other than that, I'm impressed...you have a good tech-game, you SHL (which people seem to forget)...

I am really impressed with your brother...you don't see a lot of 11-yr olds with that kind of skill...I think he could even beat me >_<...

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
First time he's ever done that, though that's the first time I've tried the Uthrow at low percents. I think I'll stick to mostly Dthrow at lower percents from now on.

Eazy23

Smash Lord
I will check the rest later as of now I only saw the first vid. ( why is it going so fast? lol) Anyway, you played the whole match, and didn shine combo the fox one time. In fact, u only hit the fox with a shine once, and it was at the end when u shine baired em. As a falco player I rely on shine combos to beat fox! Fighting that way against a good player would result in a pretty bad loss on your part. Again, I havent checked the other vids, so maybe u go crazy with dair shine combos, so I will def check those when I get the chance. Keep practicin, and when in doubt SHINE!

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Sometimes I jsut can't find a good opening, and I can't always remember to RSHL to space myself to think about it. I'll try to remember that, and I shine combo a good bit in the other vids.

Abulize

Smash Journeyman
First time he's ever done that, though that's the first time I've tried the Uthrow at low percents. I think I'll stick to mostly Dthrow at lower percents from now on.
I forgot which throw I use at low percents. In version 0 (I believe) you can keep grabbing the Fox and throw them down. They'll eventually catch on and shine but that's one option. Another I suppose is throw forward, then backward or both backward. Not too sure if my advice is the best but hopefully someone will know.

TomGoblaski

Smash Cadet
Your brother is a beast. Shine game is raw

Your game is mediocre at best. You missed alot of techs. The first game was awful. You illusion at the ****ties times. do the short illusion or sweet spot. No DI visible. SH game was soft. No a whole lot of comboing. The first match i watched half as well as the second. Your brother Mircs you.

Your laser game was strong and you move somewhat fluidly.

Edit: I watched a little of the others. Any good player will ledgetech those spikes.

_kSo_

Smash Master

lolololol a little something i made in photoshop like 2 minutes ago

in all seriousness, you did do some adv techs but you need to do more laser tricks. at this point is looks like you are just throwing out lasers for no reason. have a followup for your lasers, dont just throw them out for the sake of damage

also learn to DI. most of the time it's up and towards the stage...

yeaa...and learn shine combos :)

that is all

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Ok, I have two questions then: What other laser tricks should I do? Also, which DI should I have used(Especially in situations when I missed it)?

ZeroFallenSkater

Smash Cadet
i only watched two vids, the ones on fod and fd, i think ur falco should use a little more nair to shine and with grabbing u dont always have to uthrow try to mix it up a little, but overall yeah nice decent falco prob above decent

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Ok, so what do I do for throws at lower percents? Dthrow to shine is my first choice. Preciate the comments guys, keep it comin!

TomGoblaski

Smash Cadet
down throw to shine is not that good. People will tech that down throw, you can try to tech chase them, i guess do it once and see if they are teching it. If not do down throw to dsmash/tilt

When you are getting thrown up, DI either right or left. You can DI smashes too, like if he sends you left or right DI to cut the angle and live.

Double laser from the ledge? On FD you should be lasering your **** off.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Fox doesn't get stunned badly, and can't tech I'm pretty sure, at lower percents, so wouldn't it make more sense to shine him after a Dthrow with Fox at 0 or something fairly low? I keep forgetting to EHDL, but I'll work on it thanks for reminding me. Sometimes I can't react to his hits fast enough, I guess that just takes practice and reflexes.

_kSo_

Smash Master
Fox doesn't get stunned badly, and can't tech I'm pretty sure, at lower percents, so wouldn't it make more sense to shine him after a Dthrow with Fox at 0 or something fairly low? I keep forgetting to EHDL, but I'll work on it thanks for reminding me. Sometimes I can't react to his hits fast enough, I guess that just takes practice and reflexes.

falco's throws don't really combo. at higher percentages, your best bet would be to do
uthrow -> bair/nair

you should mix throws into your mindgames but your comboing should still revolve around dair/shines

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I don't know how much this shows on the vids, but I get shieldgrabbed everytime I try to Dair -> shine him. I can't get any shine combos off if I keep getting shieldgrabbed, so what did I do wrong and how do I fix it? Also, I'll try to vary my throws.

ZeroFallenSkater

Smash Cadet
if you get shield grabbed it means you're not timing your pillaring right, like its kinda hard to explain but you gotta hit him at the peak of your short hop with the dair while you fast fall imediately. it takes time to get used to but you'll get it

also nair to shine works a lot more better than the basic dair to shine approach, mix up your approaches a little

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Alright thanks. I'll have to practice it like that then. I've been doing it at the start of my SH, it's been killin me too. Also, when I go into training mode to practice Nair to shine, I can't get a "2", even though I use it and L-cancel right before I hit the ground. Am I not supposed to get 2 consecutive hits or what? any other suggestions/comments are appreciated.

_kSo_

Smash Master
Alright thanks. I'll have to practice it like that then. I've been doing it at the start of my SH, it's been killin me too. Also, when I go into training mode to practice Nair to shine, I can't get a "2", even though I use it and L-cancel right before I hit the ground. Am I not supposed to get 2 consecutive hits or what? any other suggestions/comments are appreciated.

training mode is essentially useless

anyway, try doing your dair and then doing a late fflc and then shine. that usually solves people's timing problems from what I see

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Does that always work on shield though? I have actually been working on doing that, but it feels like I get shieldgrabbed anyway when I try it out. Do you have any ideas? Could it be that I just don't do it right when I play or what?

d_shep04

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3239-7702-5941
i didnt know you played with falco... i would have ditto'd u in the g'boro tourney... some otehr time...

TomGoblaski

Smash Cadet
Fox doesn't get stunned badly, and can't tech I'm pretty sure, at lower percents, so wouldn't it make more sense to shine him after a Dthrow with Fox at 0 or something fairly low?
Of course he can tech it. I'll drive to NC and tech it 10 out of 10 times at any percentage.

I would master the advanced techs now, then play as many people other than your brother as you can.

When you can shatter sheilds with JC Shine pillar, you're ready.

Just play VS. mode 99 stock match against a lvl 1 computer like 400 times. Concentrate on one thing for ten stock at a time, like pillaring, or waveshining, or DL off the ledge.

EDIT: Also, if you're getting shield grabbed, ill bet more than likely you're not L canceling.

Then go into practice mode and throw a mine on the side of FD or FOD. When you can tech that ([l]edge tech) 10 times in a row, alternating between wall tech and regular tech, you're done with this.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
D shep, I'm still practicing, so I don't know how well I would have done. I did beat Boss Hog's Falco in a ditto though. Tom, so you're saying Fox can tech the Dthrow when other people are saying it's like a pseudo chaingrab(Overswarm's Falco vid)?
Next, playing people other than my bro isn't easy because we live around an hour away from the closest smashers. I'm working on playing other people though, going to see someone this weekend actually.
Third, I can't seem to shine very fast, I can do it repetitively with out messing up, just not nearly as fast, and don't really understand how to move my fingers that fast without screwing up anyway.
Finally, I have neglected training for the edgetechs you're right I should've teched the shines, so I will definately work on those today.

TomGoblaski

Smash Cadet
It can work if they dont tech. its like when someone comes out with a combo on a cpu. It can be done if the human doesnt DI, just like down throw can work if the human doesn't tech. I have played some very good foxes and they tech it instantly, and can even grab me before i can do a dtilt. Im in SoVa, Ill play with you.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Well, either way, yeah, I'd love to play ya. I have been working on, and definately improving, my Falco. I also have vids of my Mario and Marth if you wanna check them out. So, where in SoVa? Aroumd where Face or any of them at the last Gboro tourney live?

ZeroFallenSkater

Smash Cadet
not so sure if u understood what i meant by timing ur dair on the peak of ur shffl, i was browsing for a video on my computer and i found a very old one of my falco which is probably more than a year old but oh well lol i uploaded it to youtube so i can show u what im talking about i time my dairs on the peak of my shffl most of the time in this one, i know my falco sucks... i'm not too great at this game

Edit: oh yeah and sry about the music turn off the volume if its annoying

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHAA5o3B_3Q

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Ah,ok. I think I did it as I was rising so I didn't have enough time to fall and that's why I got shieldgrabbed. Looking for what you said only kinda helped me understand what I was doin wrong, though. Being able to actually pillar without getting grabbed(as easily) will help me a whole lot. Thanks for helpin me with that, I'll practice and see if I can show another vid with my improvement later. Any more comments from anyone?

captainlukey

Smash Ace

its not that the fox can tech the dthrow...
its that if he holds a direction he can sorta di out of it...(pal especially)

so dthrow to shine isnt the best option... dthrow to dsmash helps in this situation,
if they go behind you in this situatuion than uptilt can work...
but id just stick to dthrow dsmash... although that doesnt help much a low percent...
if he doesnt move, you can dthrow dtilt, helps to get combos in....

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
True, but I hope that I can get away with Dthrow to shine as long as I don't use it alot. As for the rest of the Dthrow combos, thanks, I'll try to keep them in mind.

h.e.x

Smash Rookie
In my opinion, you down tilt sort of excessively. As tempting as it is, by the second or third time you can see it coming from a mile away. All your use of the dtilt is taking away from your shine game. Additionally, you have a tendency to repeatedly dtilt if the first doesn't connect. While this may prove effective in games where both players are more than familiar with each other's play style (you versus your brother, for example,) it is an easy way to get aerial'd in the face. If you feel the need to repeat anything (besides lasers) I'd say use the Utilt instead of the Dtilt. It has less lag, it's easier to combo off of, it has decent priority, and it defends from a person stomping on your head.

You also are a little bit too fond of the Fsmash. For those quick edge kills, Dsmashing will wield more promising results.

On the whole though, you've got a solid foundation for your bird. Watch a LOT of videos so you can see things in context.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Yeah, you're absolutely right bout the Dtilt. I was waiting for someone to point that out, when I get in range like that, I kinda freeze and can't figure out what to do, so if the first thing I do is Dtilt, then I hope it works eventually. I do Utilt some, just not in the right situations sometimes. My bro CCs like crazy, that's why I go for Fsmash. If it hits, I'm usually better off. He actually techrolls from CC when I dsmash alot(I'm not freakin kiddin). I don't think he does that in the vids, so I'm just lettin ya know. I am trying to get myself to Dsmash for edgeguard more, though, and I think it's goin pretty well. Any more comments?

AG4U2NV

Smash Cadet
Here is my grade for you and you brother as a whole to the first five vides and yes I watch them all,quite enjoyed them ,I got the chance to witness two different levels of advance play go at it like there was lives on the line.

DRPP:

Adaptability:7
Dexterity:8
Reflexes:7
Spacing:9
Yomi:6

TWIT:

Adaptability:7
Dexterity:7
Reflexes:7
Spacing:9
Yomi:9

As for comment:

You and you brother are perfect training partners I can see that just from watching,you should consider practicing other things in battle even if you lose take the time out to practice in a real fight.Obvisiously you a a better than your brother but not by far.
As for your brother,he has an impressive Fox for that age,and he is a quick thinker as well, practicing the SHDL(Short Hop Double Laser) would be his best next milestone if he was to continue with Fox.

I play all 26 characters the same as I do my Fox.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Yeah we keep eachother on our toes. I'd guess that's a fairly accurate grade as well. I don't know, never been graded before. Mogwai, lol thanks, my Mario is pretty nice huh? Bad DI=good combo practice.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
Yeah we keep eachother on our toes. I'd guess that's a fairly accurate grade as well. I don't know, never been graded before. Mogwai, lol thanks, my Mario is pretty nice huh? Bad DI=good combo practice.
correction Bad DI=good combos.

it's not good practice, because once you encounter people who have good DI, you'll have trouble knowing what to do.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Well...ok you got me there. Only trying to make a funny. Maybe, if you're that good at noticing detail, you could apply it to critiquing my Falco?

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
Well...ok you got me there. Only trying to make a funny. Maybe, if you're that good at noticing detail, you could apply it to critiquing my Falco?
Well, honestly, there's not a whole lot I can critique. Every match is pretty much 2 minutes of you smashing people's faces in. From what I can see, you fsmash blindly a bit too much and try to use dair -> dtilt as a combo opener when you should be using dair -> shine/utilt. You follow combos as if you opponent won't tech (which is fair considering the competition), but you should honestly start trying to teach your friends to tech so that you can learn to tech chase Fox after you dair him over 50%. You also don't tech enough, so you get hit by ghetto dash attack combos. You use dair too much on the edge, and should probably consider using dsmash or angled ftilt a bit more. You never seem to EHDL, and while I generally think people overrate this technique, it's good when you opponent is too far away to hit you out of the jump (Ganon match, 0:12). Also, stop trying to fsmash out of uthrow on Fox, it doesn't work. Just follow with SHFFL nair/dair -> shine/dsmash. Don't use double jumps to approach so much. They have a time and a place, but it's rare and if you over use your double jump, good players will either dash dance grab you out of it, or they'll hit you out of your jump and you'll be in an awkward recovery situation. Your Tech is fine, just find/make some good competition so that people have something to really critique rather than just seeing you destroy less competent adversaries.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Ahhh, good point. Glad you put it to me straight. For the EHDL part, I'm just not crazy bout that tactic, but I do forget to use it, thanks. I had no idea that I tried to Fsmash after Uthrow, I don't know why I ever did that...thanks for that too. I can't seem to shake that nasty habit of double jumping to attack, maybe you can relay a few alternate strategies? As for the competition, I'm goin to a tourney on the 29th, so I'll have vids to show you then. Thanks for the honesty, wasn't tryin to tick you off or anythin, thanks for the comment.

Top Bottom