• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Check my Falco! Updated 12/15

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
Ahhh, good point. Glad you put it to me straight. For the EHDL part, I'm just not crazy bout that tactic, but I do forget to use it, thanks. I had no idea that I tried to Fsmash after Uthrow, I don't know why I ever did that...thanks for that too. I can't seem to shake that nasty habit of double jumping to attack, maybe you can relay a few alternate strategies? As for the competition, I'm goin to a tourney on the 29th, so I'll have vids to show you then. Thanks for the honesty, wasn't tryin to tick you off or anythin, thanks for the comment.
For double jumping to attack, you just need to learn to approach more carefully with lasers and SHFFLs. The reason that you start to double jump on the approach is because as people become more familiar with your Falco, they start learning how to handle your SHFFLs by hitting you out of the air, DD grabing, etc, and so by double jumping on the approach, you fake them out with the 1st jump and punish them with the double jump. This is the natural progression of someone learning to play advanced Falco vs. people just learning to play against said advanced falco, and it's a pretty common bad habbit. The trick is to know the spacing for when your SHFFLed nair or dair is safe as opposed to being punishable by the character that you're fighting against. Unfortunately, this is difficult to learn outside of experience, so the best advice I can give is to get your friends more involved or to get out to tournies to start learning what's safe and what'll get you killed.

The double jump's only true practicallity on the approach is when your opponent legitimately tries to go after your SHFFL approach and leaves you an opening to punish. This can only really be seen after you've double jumped (seeing your opponent whiff with an attack or a grab), so you need to have other options to fall back on after you've double jumped in case the opening is not there. On FD, there are no options, and if you double jump and the opponent doesn't screw up, you're in trouble. Your best bet is to DI away, waveland backwards, and hope that your oponent doesn't get to you first. On platform stages, it's much more practical, as you can set yourself up to waveland on a platform in case of a failed double jump approach.

I also failed to mention in my first post that you should start using edgehog -> bair on the edge gaurd. It's definately falco's most practical and safe edge gaurd and is particularly good vs. Fox. If you let go of the edge, double jump immediately, and then bair, you can regrab the edge, which is particulary good agaist Fox's who try to recover high. On a low recovery, droping from ledge to under the stage, then double jumping up to stage height with a bair out is the best option.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Alright, thanks for explainin the double jump approach to me, I never did realize it worked like that. I played Twitch just a half hour ago, without usin many double jumps, and things went much smoother. Also, I do Bair edgeguard in the manner you mentioned alot, I guess I just never recorded myself doin it. Thanks for the comments.

Top Bottom