• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Charizard and Weavile Enter Pokken Tournament

Laggalot101

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1418-6741-7161
Charizard's model looks off to me. It's the torso. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it just doesn't look right. Dare I say it looks too... human (if only for lack of a better term)? Not entirely certain.

Last edited:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Waiting on Mewtwo, Sceptile, Swampert, Gallade, and Zoroark

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
So popularity is suddenly everything now? Funny, this didn't seem to matter in Smash when Ridley and K. Rool dominated every poll. Please, tell me how Charizard is a more "natural fit" for a game like this than Blastoise. Or Sceptile. Or Typhlosion. Or... the other 714 Pokémon.

Charizard may be popular, but the level in which The Pokémon Company gives preferential treatment to him over the other starters is disgusting. Just look at the TCG where there are four different Mega Charizard cards while Blastoise and Venusaur get one each. Let's not forget the fact that Squirtle and Ivysaur were cut entirely from Smash and most likely won't be coming back. Oh, but that's okay, because they aren't as "popular". How do you determine popularity? Number of game appearances? That's a self-fulfilling prophecy.
So I guess they should exclude him because you don't like him?
Let's be real, it doesn't matter how you feel about him, but most people like him and thus make him a natural inclusion for this game. And it is not like they are not including other less popular pokemon either; Suicune, Machamp and now Weavile.
You may call it preferential treatment but you seem to be in the extreme opposite side of the spectrum regarding Charizard.

Last edited:

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
So I guess they should exclude him because you don't like him?
Let's be real, it doesn't matter how you feel about him, but most people like him and thus make him a natural inclusion for this game. And it is not like they are not including other less popular pokemon either; Suicune, Machamp and now Weavile.
You may call it preferential treatment but you seem to be in the extreme opposite side of the spectrum regarding Charizard.
Suicune was in the OU tier for three generations in a row, and Machamp has always been seen as "the" Fighting-type. Those are hardly what I would call wildcard picks. I don't dislike Charizard fundamentally, but I don't like how he's forced into everything while the other starters get ignored. I find it funny how popularity suddenly matters now, but then the same people will turn around and justify the Smash 4 roster by saying "Sakurai does what he wants".

Laggalot101

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1418-6741-7161
Suicune was in the OU tier for three generations in a row, and Machamp has always been seen as "the" Fighting-type. Those are hardly what I would call wildcard picks. I don't dislike Charizard fundamentally, but I don't like how he's forced into everything while the other starters get ignored. I find it funny how popularity suddenly matters now, but then the same people will turn around and justify the Smash 4 roster by saying "Sakurai does what he wants".
To add, Suicune has several times played special roles in the games and movies, particularly when compared to its counterparts Entei and Raikou. Suicune's often gotten a bit of a special treatment.

Soul.

This game looks so good, my god. Weavile seems fun; I wonder if Low Kick will be a thing on its moveset? Probably not.
I do agree that Charizard looks a bit... off, to say the least. But I don't really mind it; it's in the game, so yeah.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I don't know why we are bringing Smash 4's roster and Sakurai into this discussion when we are talking Pokken, though I do agree that popularity isn't and shouldn't be the only deciding factor when a lot of Smash's beloved characters like Ness and Cp. Falcon weren't even that popular to begin with.
Still, we just have to wait to see if any other starter makes it in or not, but I feel that Charizard's inclusion was understandable. Though I do happen to like Charizard, I want to see many other different pokemon as well.

DarkBlueSpark

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-2076-2551
This game's gonna be good, can't wait. All the fighters look amazing.

But why Charizard X again? Gamefreak doesn't seem to like Charizard Y as much...

aethermaster

Smash Ace
NNID
Aethermaster
3DS FC
2552-2699-1664
Yay! I still want my character to be revealed...

:143:SNORLAX ROLLS OVER THE COMPETITION :143:

Zantetsugun

Wyvern Lord
NNID
ShiningDestiny
3DS FC
1564-3960-9979
Charizard - I think just about everyone knew he was getting in, but it's still awesome to see him join the roster!

Weavile - HOLY SH*T, ALL OF MY YES!!! YEAAAAAAH!!!!!!!! Such an unexpected (and pleasent) surprise!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Kind of surprised there's no playable sixth gen Pokemon (I don't count the megas) yet. I can understand fifth gen being skipped over because I think, Pokemon wise, it was largely forgettable but sixth will surely have Greninja or Hawlucha when everything's said and done.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
July 16th!? Whoa, didn't see that coming. We could see a Wii U port as early as this time next year!

Only problem with that is...that means there's a lot less time to reveal characters. We only know of 9 so far, and if we're two weeks away from release, then unless they've been keeping a lot under wraps there won't be that many more...

Metallinatus

Smash Lord
This game's gonna be good, can't wait. All the fighters look amazing.

But why Charizard X again? Gamefreak doesn't seem to like Charizard Y as much...
Again popularity, everybody likes Mega Charizard X much more....
At least we can count on seeing a different Mega evolution for Mewtwo than the one in Sm4sh if he happens to be in this game too. (and he needs to be)

Now, it's just missing a certain pink balloon...

They're not going to leave out the second most popular Pokémon in the series.
lol You know the Pokémon fanbase goes far beyond the ones which play Smash, right? Right??
Second most popular Pokémon? Not even close....

BobEugCox

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BobEugCox
So popularity is suddenly everything now? Funny, this didn't seem to matter in Smash when Ridley and K. Rool dominated every poll. Please, tell me how Charizard is a more "natural fit" for a game like this than Blastoise. Or Sceptile. Or Typhlosion. Or... the other 714 Pokémon.

Charizard may be popular, but the level in which The Pokémon Company gives preferential treatment to him over the other starters is disgusting. Just look at the TCG where there are four different Mega Charizard cards while Blastoise and Venusaur get one each. Let's not forget the fact that Squirtle and Ivysaur were cut entirely from Smash and most likely won't be coming back. Oh, but that's okay, because they aren't as "popular". How do you determine popularity? Number of game appearances? That's a self-fulfilling prophecy.
What do Ridley and K.Rool have to do with Charizards popularity? Don't get me wrong, I love all three gen 1 starters, but he's right, Pokemon has always pushed Charizard to be more popular.
1. Ash's squirtle and bulbasaur never whereas charmander quickly became Charizard.
2. The original Charizard Pokemon card was always the rarest and most sought after card from the original set (at least at my school)
3. Charizard received 2 mega evolutions.
4. Charizard has been in every smash bros game so far as a pokeball or playable character.

I love Venasaur and Blastoise but Pokemon has always shown favoritism with Charizard so this was expected. Hopefully we'll get grass starters and water starters in some form... But like I've said before I won't care much until this is announced for the Wii u.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Again popularity, everybody likes Mega Charizard X much more....
At least we can count on seeing a different Mega evolution for Mewtwo than the one in Sm4sh if he happens to be in this game too. (and he needs to be)

lol You know the Pokémon fanbase goes far beyond the ones which play Smash, right? Right??
Second most popular Pokémon? Not even close....
I take it you don't know much about Pokémon. Jigglypuff's been second only to Pikachu since her debut in the anime.

Metallinatus

Smash Lord
I take it you don't know much about Pokémon. Jigglypuff's been second only to Pikachu since her debut in the anime.
Hell no, not even close².
I would put Charizard right there at second, or if you take only the anime fanbase, maybe Meowth....
Even Mewtwo I would say its among the most popular, but Jiggly....? Her goof appearances to put everybody to sleep were fun and all, but it didn't get her even close to the popularity you think she has....
Heck, again, even Meowth has more popularity in the anime.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Hell no, not even close².
I would put Charizard right there at second, or if you take only the anime fanbase, maybe Meowth....
Even Mewtwo I would say its among the most popular, but Jiggly....? Her goof appearances to put everybody to sleep were fun and all, but it didn't get her even close to the popularity you think she has....
Heck, again, even Meowth has more popularity in the anime.
Why do you think that she was chosen to be the second Pokémon rep in 64? Why do you think she was the only rep besides Pikachu to stay in all four games? Why do you think she was a recurring character throughout the various anime? She was and still is a smash (pun not intended) in Japan. She's what they call "kawaii."

ShadyWolfe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShaDow94
3DS FC
1203-9253-9419

Popularity is determined by how many people like a character and Charizard has a lot more fans than Venasaur and Blastoise put together deal with it.

Metallinatus

Smash Lord
Why do you think that she was chosen to be the second Pokémon rep in 64? Why do you think she was the only rep besides Pikachu to stay in all four games? Why do you think she was a recurring character throughout the various anime? She was and still is a smash (pun not intended) in Japan. She's what they call "kawaii."
The reason why she was on every Smash is because.... she is one of the 12 originals lol they will forever be on every Smash game, the 12 originals.
Now about her inclusion in the first game, well, why the heck did Sakurai choose to put freaking Greeninja in Smash 4 instead of the extremely more popular Mewtwo? I mean, yeah, they eventually gave in to the fans and decided to make him after the game was done, but Greeninja was definitely chosen over him.... and let's not forget there was no Smash fanbase at all when 64 was released, so there was not even fan pressure to put this and that character instead of whatever Sakurai wanted to put in, so that argument is also beaten now.
About her being popular in Japan? Yes, in Japan. You know what was also always popular in Japan? Fire Emblem, the series that would be dead by now if it wasn't for Awakening.

Last edited:

ShadyWolfe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShaDow94
3DS FC
1203-9253-9419
She was chosen over other characters due to time constraints(it was easy to reuse Kirby's assests) and her appearances in the anime as Sakurai originally wanted to add in Mewtwo or Meowth. Jigglypuff is not really popular not even in Japan does she break the top 10.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
She was chosen over other characters due to time constraints(it was easy to reuse Kirby's assests) and her appearances in the anime as Sakurai originally wanted to add in Mewtwo or Meowth. Jigglypuff is not really popular not even in Japan does she break the top 10.
Yes, she does. #2, to be exact. And it's never been confirmed that Sakurai wanted to put Meowth in instead of Jigglypuff.
The reason why she was on every Smash is because.... she is one of the 12 originals lol they will forever be on every Smash game, the 12 originals.
Now about her inclusion in the first game, well, why the heck did Sakurai choose to put freaking Greeninja in Smash 4 instead of the extremely more popular Mewtwo? I mean, yeah, they eventually gave in to the fans and decided to make him after the game was done, but Greeninja was definitely chosen over him.... and let's not forget there was no Smash fanbase at all when 64 was released, so there was not even fan pressure to put this and that character instead of whatever Sakurai wanted to put in, so that argument is also beaten now.
About her being popular in Japan? Yes, in Japan. You know what was also always popular in Japan? Fire Emblem, the series that would be dead by now if it wasn't for Awakening.
Sakurai already had an idea for Smash 64, a crossover of all the most popular Nintendo series' and their representatives. And of the hundreds of available, he chose Jigglypuff to represent Pokémon alongside Pikachu. Sakurai doesn't hold a bias towards Jigglypuff in particular, he chose her because she was unrivaled in popularity by anyone except Pikachu.

Laggalot101

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1418-6741-7161
Kind of surprised there's no playable sixth gen Pokemon (I don't count the megas) yet. I can understand fifth gen being skipped over because I think, Pokemon wise, it was largely forgettable but sixth will surely have Greninja or Hawlucha when everything's said and done.
Everyone's calling Greninja and Hawlucha, but I have my mind completely elsewhere when it comes to sixth gen. I think Goodra could make for a really cool fighter. Or maybe even Tyrantrum (no idea how he'd work in a fighting game, but I trust they could come up with something). I could see a lot of possibilities for these guys. And even then, I'm sure there's a bunch of pokes I'm not thinking of right now that would be amazing to see.

Metallinatus

Smash Lord
Yes, she does. #2, to be exact. And it's never been confirmed that Sakurai wanted to put Meowth in instead of Jigglypuff.

Sakurai already had an idea for Smash 64, a crossover of all the most popular Nintendo series' and their representatives. And of the hundreds of available, he chose Jigglypuff to represent Pokémon alongside Pikachu. Sakurai doesn't hold a bias towards Jigglypuff in particular, he chose her because she was unrivaled in popularity by anyone except Pikachu.
Just like Greeninja's popularity is unrivaled by Mewtwo's....
I don't think Sakurai holds any bias towards Greeninja either, but he was still the chosen one.
Just because Sakurai decided to put as the second character of the series it doesn't mean it is the second most popular.
Come on, he put even Ness in Smash 64, and nobody outside Japan had any idea of what a Ness was at the time....

Kabutops

Smash Journeyman
Please give this a console port, Nintendo!

And add :150:

Last edited:

Laggalot101

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1418-6741-7161
Just like Greeninja's popularity is unrivaled by Mewtwo's....
I don't think Sakurai holds any bias towards Greeninja either, but he was still the chosen one.
Just because Sakurai decided to put as the second character of the series it doesn't mean it is the second most popular.
Come on, he put even Ness in Smash 64, and nobody outside Japan had any idea of what a Ness was at the time....
Sakurai chose Greninja among the other starters before they were even revealed officially, so that is straight up evidence that Sakurai could not have chosen the character based on popularity at all.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

Ridley and K.Rool dominating a few polls specifically for getting into Smash on tiny internet communities filled with a specific demographic doesn't make them popular, actually. That's the definition of a niche.

Charizard is more of a natural fit for this game than most other Pokémon because A) His anatomy is pretty straightforward and B) He has already been in fighting games before, them being Smash. So it's easy for them to just re-use a lot of ideas from there (which they have, as many of the moves in this trailer are similar to his Smash moves).

I determine popularity by how many kids I see yelling "OHMIGAWSH CHARIZARD IS SO COOOOOOOL HE'S MY FAVOURITE POKÉMON" and how often I see people praising the character in mor dedicated places. And yeah, Charizard is pretty much almost as big a Pokémon mascot at this point as Pikachu and Lucario are. He has a lot of merit and his design is easily appealing, not to mention that the "Char family" had the most touching connections to Ash in the Pokémon anime, and not to mention the recent Pokémon Origins series. It's much easier to market a dragon (he may not literally be a dragon type but design wise he is a dragon), than it is to market a turtle and a plant...thing. Because dragons have always been popular with kids. And as I also said earlier, Fire has always been the most popular starter type.

Top Bottom