• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Charizard and Weavile Enter Pokken Tournament

Marthmario

Smash Lord
We’ve got some great news for those of you looking forward to Pokken Tournament. Straight from a stream earlier today, Charizard and Weavile join Pokken Tournament! Charizard appears to be a brute force powerhouse, taking opponents down with powerful attacks. Weavile on the other hand appears to be a speed machine with plenty of feints to make for a tricky playstyle. Check out these new fighters in the videos below.

Weavile

Charizard
Also among these reveals comes a release date in Japan. Pokken Tournament is set to launch July 16th in Japanese arcades. No console release has been announced so far.

I’m pretty hype for these new additions. Hit me up @ Marthmario Marthmario for some Pokken discussion.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Yay!
Weavile is here!
Now I don't have to miss him in Smash anymore

"WEA WEA WEA WEA WEA *falls off edge of stage*"

D

Deleted member

I'm glad that Charizard is in the game! :D

Now we need one more Pokemon... :4mewtwo:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Heck hyesh my one true Pokemon and original namesake is playable alongside my favorite Dark-type Pokemon.

Now I need to get this game asap.

Last edited:

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
I swear, if Mewtwo doesn't get in...lemmie just say they're missing out on potential.

Dokokashira

Smash Journeyman
I'm kind of disappointed that Pokken Tournament is using Pokémon that are already in a fighting game and are popular even outside the Pokémon fanbase. Why couldn't they use this game to give some of Pokémon's lesser known stars time in the spotlight?

neohopeSTF

Smash Journeyman
NNID
abcdefgf
Switch FC
SW-0259-5915-4107
These 2 are cool but I already got the main Gengar. Hoping for Swadloon to be playable/support now.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
WEAVILE!!!!!! Hellz YEAH!! The hype is real!!!
Now all I need is Scizor and I'll be set!!! (wish Sableye wasn't a background element)

*gives zero fuqs about Charizard*

Last edited:

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
I can't believe I got two of my most wanted characters!
Suicune is life!
Weavile is hometown!

Real Smooth-Like

Smash Apprentice
both look really freakin cool but Charizard's voice... It just sounds like some dude yelling at a moderate volume wtf

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Still hoping for Ursaring, but man this is hype. I don't think there will be that many more characters announced, considering the release date, but I'm just left wondering...why haven't they officially announced Blaziken yet, despite showing him in the teaser?

BobEugCox

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BobEugCox
This would be much easier to care about if, I dunno let's see.... IT WAS ON WII U!!?

If this ends up being just an arcade machine, I won't just be mad because I'll never play it, I'll be mad because it will have been an absolutely foolish decision on Nintendo's part. Sorry to sound like a spoiled fan.

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
Hopefully we get Blastoise and/or Mewtwo:150:
Not that 'Zard isn't cool, I'm hyped to see him in, but like everyone else I wanna see my favorite Pokemon(s):009:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm positive all of the Smash 4 Pokémon will end up in this game as playable.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
Charizard is pretty Ridley in this game.

ArhyLis

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AstralRaptor
3DS FC
5069-4138-6092
This is awesome, glad to see they made it in! But PLEASE make it in Gallade!...

RadianB

Smash Journeyman
Oh Yiss, best Pokemon is in.

Don't like his character model though, looks a bit weird. His nostrils are too big and his claws are too stubby. Charizard looks cooler in Smash 4.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
Oh look, Charizard. Again. They might as well retcon Blastoise and Venusaur out of existence at this point, since they have to shoehorn Charizard into ****ing everything. None of the other starters receive this much attention. Sigh.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Oh look, Charizard. Again. They might as well retcon Blastoise and Venusaur out of existence at this point, since they have to shoehorn Charizard into ****ing everything. None of the other starters receive this much attention. Sigh.
Because Charizard is infinitely more popular than them, and he is a more natural fit for a game like this.

Fire types have always tended to be the most popular.

busken

Smash Ace
You are kidding, right? How could it be not competitive?
And btw, Charizard is so aggressive in this game.... it's amazing.
Hey man you never know. Some games show alot of promise, but don't end up surviving.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
Because Charizard is infinitely more popular than them, and he is a more natural fit for a game like this.

Fire types have always tended to be the most popular.
So popularity is suddenly everything now? Funny, this didn't seem to matter in Smash when Ridley and K. Rool dominated every poll. Please, tell me how Charizard is a more "natural fit" for a game like this than Blastoise. Or Sceptile. Or Typhlosion. Or... the other 714 Pokémon.

Charizard may be popular, but the level in which The Pokémon Company gives preferential treatment to him over the other starters is disgusting. Just look at the TCG where there are four different Mega Charizard cards while Blastoise and Venusaur get one each. Let's not forget the fact that Squirtle and Ivysaur were cut entirely from Smash and most likely won't be coming back. Oh, but that's okay, because they aren't as "popular". How do you determine popularity? Number of game appearances? That's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Top Bottom