• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Characters You Want In Just To Make Other Fans Happy

Status
Not open for further replies.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Pretty much the title. They're characters you don't know enough about, but you want in to satisfy other fanbases and you'd find interesting to play as.

For me it's Shulk. Never played Xenoblade Chronicles and probably won't but he seems interesting, and I want as bigof a roster as possible.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Little Mac was a character I wanted to see in only because others wanted him. He looks radical as **** though, not sure why I didn't support him earlier. I also thought an AC newcomer would be cool due to the enormous popularity of the franchise, but didn't really believe it possible due to Sakurai's earlier comments.

Palutena and a FE newcomer are the current ones. Don't care much for either franchise, but I think both of them are deserving of another playable character. Palutena is the obvious Kid Icarus choice, not too sure about FE though, could be either Chrom or Robin.

Mewtwo is mostly for other people too, never enjoyed playing him much myself, and I personally only really like his Gen 1 appearance which looked much more like a mutant than the current small head & big feet version he currently looks like. However, the outcry for him is huuuge, he's someone who obviously needs to be in because of that.

Isaac and Shulk supporters are pretty cool too, wouldn't mind them getting their wishes, but at that point roster spots begin to become very limited.

I initially only wanted K. Rool in because of his dedicated fanbase of which I could relate to, but I quickly began seeing his appeal, so there's an example of a character who became someone I support because of his fanbase.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Professor Layton, but even then, I still want Layton in because I know there's lots of fans out there who would love to see the gentleman playable. Knew about him since reading Nintendo Power, but strayed away from playing because the puzzles were too much for me. Regardless, I would be very happy to see him playable for the fans, I would love to hear especially Kikwi-Kiwi's reacion.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Mokka from Magical Starsign. I have just learned about the series and I bet there are fans of the series out there. It would be best to put Mokka, sense he seems to be the most recurring character in the series, since the Hero/Heroine may seem a bit tricky to pull off.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Palutena, but I know that if I play Uprising, I will love, she's an total cutie. But I don't actually much about her, so I hope she gets in for the Uprising fans at least.

Shulk, as I am might curious about Xenoblade, but need something to push me. People want him too, so why not?

Krystal. I actually have been getting into Starfox lately (mainly Assault), but Krystal isn't the most endearing character to me, personality wise. However, I think a staff wielding character would be awesome, so I support those who want her in her Adventures appearance.

Pac-Man. I don't think he's the most deserving character, but if it made a lot of people happy, I wouldn't mind at all, especially if they do cool things with his moveset.

Little Mac was also this beforehand, as I hadn't really played Punch-Out much before his reveal, but he seemed so cool in the trailer, that I want to play through his games. Villager also kinda was, though I admittedly didn't see many Animal Crossing requests personally.

In general, I am happy for people who get their characters, though.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Definitely Little Mac, (I still have zero personal interest in his games or his... personality? I guess?) though I do like what he's bringing to the game now that I see him.

Mewtwo as well, since I know how much people have missed him, even if I don't understand it.

Isaac falls more into the category of characters I wouldn't mind being in either way, maybe just 'cause I don't see quite as many people who want him THAT badly. (Or maybe because a good lot of them are of the opinion that it's either Shulk or him and then resort to bashing Xenoblade as a way to "win")

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
I would say characters like Lip, Takumaru, Ridley, Shulk, Layton, Pac-Man, and at the end I pretty much support any one because I feel like any character should have a shot even if I'm not a big fan.

Yams

Smash Journeyman
ridley. I honestly wouldn't feel strongly if he wasn't in, but I know everyone else would.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I guess for me that would be characters like Ridley, K. Rool, and Palutena. I don't have a strong personal connection with them, but I believe they are worthy of a spot on the roster, and I know how much people want them.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Ridley. I do support him, but wouldn't be too upset if he was excluded. Still, he totally deserves it, and his fans should get their over a decade long wish.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Probably Ridley. I used to be against him for awhile, but that was mainly because of mob mentality. I'm not really rooting for him, but I understand he's deserves it more than anyone else and I would like to see him if Sakurai can work him out.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
All the characters I want in the game are the characters I genuinely want myself. Granted, a lot of them I was exposed to as a result of the diehard fans and that made me want them more. Like I never thought of Robin as a possibility until convinced by the fans, and I always felt Shulk would be a good idea but seeing the content the fans use for support has made me genuinely be excited by his possible inclusion.

Also, I guess this is the right place: one of the moments I look forward to the most when it comes to this game is the moment, hoping it comes, that Ridley gets revealed. Feels like whether people like him or not, whether he's desired or hated, the day he gets revealed this community will have a field day.

Last edited:

andimidna

Smash Master
That used to be Little Mac for me.
Ridley and Shulk I've came to like, but started as characters I put on my rosters just because others wanted him.

Isaac, for me. Definitely. I'd like to see that fanbase happy, but I know almost nothing of the character.
Despite K Rool having a lot of fans, there is no reasoning with that fanbase, and I've grown to dislike it. Making me dislike the character. So that's a big no. I don't care if his fans don't even get a trophy of their precious fatty. Bleh.
I also supported Chrom before I liked him. But I like him as a team with Lucina, so that no longer fits here... hm...

Pac-Man. I don't care for him but he totally deserves a spot, so I put him on both my chance and want rosters. Might as well. He's very iconic.
He's too lame for me to love him though. Just being honest.

I want fans of all of the Brawl veterans to be happy.
I see people constantly cutting:
-Snake
-Ike
-R.O.B.
-Wolf
-Lucas
I might actually prefer them gone... but I like them somewhat. And they deserve to come back. I hope their fanbases get to see their return.
I love Palutena and Mewtwo, so that covers the "elite 4"...
...hm... who else...
I guess I don't know much about Saki...
But other than those mentioned, I personally like who I support.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Megaman used to be the main character for this. I wanted Megaman fans to have the same feeling I did for Sonic in Brawl. And luckily it happened as early as last year's E3 :)

Nowadays though I think Ridley is one.

And this is gonna be odd, but I'll be happy for those who can enjoy the Miis if they're in the game. This site for the most part wouldn't be very happy, but I know there will be many kids now and those who are new Nintendo fans that started with the Wii who are growing older now who will appreciate having the ability to have the closest to themselves being in the game. I know to some that sounds like self-insert fanfiction crap. But really, when you were a young gamer wasn't having yourself fight alongside Mario, Link, etc. one of your greatest dreams? Miis are the closest we'll get to entertaining our little 8-year old or younger wonder no matter how silly it sounds in retrospect as you grow up ^^

D

Deleted member

Toad: I am not that fond of Toad in general, but he has one of the most impressive resumes in the Mario series. He was always there in the beginning and he is definitely a Nintendo All-Star! But... it's a shame that he's a meat shield again... and I bet it was a hard pill to swallow when Rosalina got confirmed. He should be playable, but I can't see this in the near future. I admire the Toad fans for their big support for this character.

Ridley: I am almost completely indifferent on this character. Ridley's speculation has waned my want for Ridley by quite a bit as I am tired of hearing him. While I have the mentality of "If Ridley isn't in, it's time to let him go," I sympathize with his supporters for waiting such a long time for him to be playable. I'm not confident in his chances mind you, but I will be happy that they are happy.

Wolf and Ike: I like both these characters and I want them to return. It's definitely a sad feeling when you hear that your favorite character/main is on the list of the most wanted characters to get cut. I definitely feel more sympathetic towards the Wolf fans; he is more unique than Falco, but he is on the chopping block more than Falco is.

EDIT: Starfy: I felt bad for his fans when he was disconfirmed... on Christmas of all days. He is a rather popular character and I know that he was rather wanted. It's a shame that he ended up as an Assist Trophy again. I would like to see him in despite not playing a Starfy game.

I didn't include characters like Shulk and King K. Rool. Granted, making the fans happy is one reason, I want them both for many other reasons (Shulk for Xenoblade being a fantastic game and I like him as a character, King K. Rool because of his awesome support and his absolute uniqueness).

Last edited by a moderator:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Today I Learned: K. Rool fans not pretending to tolerate fallacious counterpoints and to like characters they don't makes them "unreasonable." Pfft.

I'm pretty much this way with most characters that have had consistently large fanbases for a long time, with few exceptions. Notably, so many people had grown up loving Little Mac because of Punch Out!! and supported him for that reason, so I could really connect with that. Ridley as well; what's happened with me and Ridley is basically what's happened with @ MasterOfKnees MasterOfKnees and K. Rool, where I came to enjoy their fanbase, then saw all of the great things that could be done with the character and joined in.

Oh, and even though I don't think he's had as many supporters for Smash as those two, I've come to support Pacman almost entirely for the sake of his fans. I'd never really play as him, but those fans have had to deal with serious unpleasantness from detractors who go so far as to come into their support thread and berate them for liking the character. I'd like to see them get their wish at the end of the day.

Last edited:

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
My support for Little Mac, Mega Man, and Isaac stems from this sort of sentiment.

Also, Pit. I hate the character, but I wouldn't want him cut. And I was happy for his fans when he became playable in Brawl.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Like Wariofan1, I never really got into Punch-Out apart from the NES game, and only really supported him because a lot of other people did. But then I slowly began to like him more as I continued to follow SSB4's development, and got excited when I finally saw his trailer unveiled. TBH, I'm still amazed to see him finally playable because I had long grown accustomed to seeing him as an Assist Trophy in Brawl, and to see him make the leap to fighter status makes me believe that Sakurai's willing to make changes on preexisting characters.

Shulk is another character that I support despite not being interested in his series. I barely know anything about Xenoblade, apart from the fact that it was created by ex-Square developers and was part of this huge campaign to release it in North America. I have my doubts that he'll be included as a playable character, but that doesn't mean that I'm against him being in the roster. Far from it, I think Shulk's inclusion would help develop his franchise into becoming a credible household name for Nintendo fans.

There's also Palutena. I've never ever played a KI game in my life, for I've only watched an LP of Uprising. Nevertheless, I still think Palutena is a really interesting choice for a newcomer and would be great for inclusion.

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
These two technically don't count anymore since I've become an avid supporter after joining this site, but for me it's Ridley and K. Rool.

I still count them because beforehand I was merely indifferent to their inclusion. But after seeing the passion their fanbases harbor, and how long both camps have been left waiting, I can't help but hope that they finally get there wish, even though I myself have now joined both ranks.

yani

Smash Lord
Originally this was Mega Man for me (though now I'm somewhat of a fan myself). I'm kinda pulling for Issac since he has a pretty dedicated fanbase.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Palutena, I hated Pit from Brawl but I've yet to play Uprising so maybe that'll change.
Little Mac, I never actually wanted him myself, but he looks great in Smash and I look forwards to playing as him.
Ridley, I want him but no where near as much as his supporters. I've yet to play a Metroid game other than a little bit of Other M. . . Which is considered one of the worst in the series.
Issac, haven't played Golden Sun.
Shulk, eh, I'd rather not see him in the game but I'm not against him either.
Megaman, I never cared for his games but seeing Capcom mistreat him(Especially in Marvel vs Capcom 3) it's good to see him back.
All the characters above are great choices though and hope the majority are pleased, but characters highly requested "joke" characters like Reggie and "Lord Helix" are ridiculous.

Last edited:

Shaking//very

Smash Apprentice
krystal, personally i like starfox, i'm not that into it but i still like it.

but krystal just rubs me the wrong way, she looks ridiculous. i'm far from a human shaped animal characters fan ( won't use the word furry, seems a bit disrespectfull ) but i just never could deal with her design. don't care for her character either, a bit too much sonic adventure for me.

then again, she's one of the characters that deserves to be in smash as the moment she was introduced, she's almost always been present in the franchise ever since. she even could have been added in brawl and it would flow.

haven't played xenoblade and i don't think it would still interest me, maybe a few years back it would have. but i think shulk would be a cool addition. even though i would rather see issaac from golden sun. thing is both of them deserve it equally if you ask me.

Last edited:

Marakatu

Smash Ace
Ridley. I couldn't care less for him, but I don't want to see the mess that the internet will become if he gets disconfirmed.
Actually, if Takamaru is in, I don't care for anything else. They can add Shadow and Goku and I'll be perfectly fine with that.
(except Geno)

Shalashaska

Banned via Warnings
Quite a few characters that I personally want come from games I've never played, such as Palutena and Ridley. A lot of my support comes from recognition of these characters' potential as well as their importance, but the "make other fans happy" reasoning comes into play a bit as well, especially with Ridley. Actually, with Ridley it's a bit of the opposite, one reason I really want him to be confirmed is to get Ridley detractors ("TooBigots") to shut up.

Shulk is probably a good example, too, as I've never played Xenoblade and I don't know if he's deserving of a slot, but he seems unique and he is obviously highly requested.

Other characters, like K. Rool and the now-confirmed Little Mac, I've always wanted, being a fan of Punch-Out and DKC for a long time, DKC especially.

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
I would say the Miis, Pac-Man, Krystal, and Chrom, because I am well aware of the exceptional hype-inducing excitement they have inspired within all of Smashboards; everyone would explode with genuine happiness upon their confirmations.

Joking aside, I do stand by my decision vigorously, especially Pac-Man (unless he replaces Solid Snake), considering how constantly denigrated, looked down upon, and mercilessly ridiculed these fan-bases generally are on Smashboards (at particular times).

I have excluded the frequent choices in K. Rool and Ridley only because I am a personally involved supporter among the collectively ardent fan-base for these highly-desired characters, which would defeat the purpose of this thread (...characters you don't know enough about...). Otherwise, I would be genuinely satisfied (and especially relieved) the decade-long tumultuous journey for their playable inclusions can finally come to an end. I dare say they are the most deserving of the remaining newcomers yet to be playable. Mewtwo also deserves a long-awaited return his fan-base has strongly demanded, myself among them.

(Informally: I would like to express my gratitude to Rockaphin for the distinctly-fun idea of color-coding character names.)

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
Many of my recent "wants" have actually come from their fanbases, notably Ridley, K. Rool and Palutena, I guess Shulk as well. So basically I've become a fan of those characters and want them in for both me and their fans (in which I include myself too). Obviously this goes with all my other wanted characters as well, those four just seem to be the most wanted ones universally.

However, I've noticed that I've grown to like many characters who to me are in a "I don't support them but wouldn't mind them getting in" -territory. And I think those characters are the ones I'd like to get in just for their fans, which may or may not be active but still very supportive. Good examples are Lip, Dixie Kong, Chibi-Robo and Dillon. Some of those might seem obscure and not high-priority, but I like the idea of small, solid fan clubs which would then jump of joy if any of these get in.

I'd also like to see Snake return. I'm not a fan of the character, but he made it in Brawl and I'm sure many would like to see him again.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Most of the characters I started supporting for other people have wormed their way into my own support list
As in, now I fully want them for ME now too

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I would say the Miis, Pac-Man, Krystal, and Chrom, because...everyone would explode with genuine happiness upon their confirmations.
Oh, there would be explosions, but something tells me they wouldn't be ones of genuine happiness...

Last edited:

Smady

Smash Master
No, not really.

Take the "just" out of the title and maybe Ridley. I am no Metroid fan - although I have played a few and loved them - but realized after years of blindly following the Ridley bandwagon that I don't actually care about the character. Ridley doesn't have a personality or moveset potential that appeals to my tastes. However, I have to admit that Metroid deserves a newcomer and I want resolution on the Ridley zeitgeist. I'm mostly pro-Ridley as I can see the depth in the relationship between Samus and Ridley, why he's important to the franchise. I'm sure I'd also enjoy playing him too, I simply am keeping my expectations in check.

It's not because of the fans that I do change my mind, but because they make strong arguments and convince me that a character is a deserving rep. I just felt like it was worth making that distinction.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I feel that way mainly about Little Mac, Ridley and Palutena. Although it isn't the whole reason I want them in, their characters do interest me even if I don't feel a strong personal attachment to them.

I don't feel the same way about King K Rool, Dixie or Chrom. (Although the latter is probably because I have "conflicting interests") Probably because I haven't been as convinced by the fan bases that they could have interesting movesets.

Last edited:

Samuel Intrater

Smash Apprentice
Ridley, not just to make the Ridley fans happy, but to prove the people don't support Ridley wrong. I'm not that big a Metroid fan, but I really find the arguments against him pretty ridiculous.

Shulk too. Never played Xenoblade, but it's got a very loyal and dedicated fanbase.

Marakatu

Smash Ace
Oh, Isaac and Chibi Robo too. Mostly because I don't like to see series being forgotten, and it's been some time since they got some love.
Also, the supporters of those characters usually are not rude, so they get my sympathy.

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
Honestly... Ridley. Mainly because I find the more vehement Ridley detractors to be obnoxious (even if Ridley supporters sometimes strike back just as obnoxiously). If Sakurai wants to make a character work, by Golly, it'll work. It just gets under my skin when a person or group presumes to know beyond a shadow of a doubt that a character cannot and will not be playable.

Khao

Smash Lord
Pac-Man.

If he gets in, cool, if he doesn't, meh.

I don't think his chances are as high as most people think they are, though.

Also, totally Mewtwo, and I actually really want it to happen, not really because I'll play as him myself, but because to lose a completely original moveset with no real alternative must have been harsh, and shouldn't ever happen again as far as I'm concerned, plus, I do like him as a Pokémon and everything. I won't really be mad if he's not back, but I can totally see why people want him back so badly, and will be happy if it happens.

K. Rool too, even though I freaking love the DKC games, I don't really care about him too much as a character, but I think he's more than deserving to be in.

Any Fire Emblem character. I want both Ike back and a newcomer, again, will probably not be playing much as either of them (save for Marth, who I find pretty fun, though he's already confirmed and is a no-brainer at this point) but Fire Emblem has gotten pretty big lately, and it'd be cool to see some more representation, even if we end up with three blue-haired men with a cape and a sword.

Takamaru. To be perfectly honest, I have no ****ing clue what's this guy all about and what's up with the sudden popularity he's gotten lately, and he looks extremely bland and uninteresting to me whenever someone posts a picture, but if he really is that popular in Japan, then they should just go for it.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I feel that way mainly about Little Mac, Ridley and Palutena. Although it isn't the whole reason I want them in, their characters do interest me even if I don't feel a strong personal attachment to them.

I don't feel the same way about King K Rool, Dixie or Chrom. (Although the latter is probably because I have "conflicting interests") Probably because I haven't been as convinced by the fan bases that they could have interesting movesets.

...really?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom