• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Characters you think are really good?

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Rosaluma, Greninja, *maybe* Zss so far.

Everyone else kinda hovers on a similar level
Bowser comes off overrated.
I want to say Sheik but I haven't seen the performance.
I think Rosaluma will fall off as experience is accumulated against her.
I swear Wii fit trainer is good but people keep talking **** bout the guy. His jab combo freaking pitfalls. Its one of the scariest jabs at mid percents in this game. The ball is a trap. I dodge canceled the ball for a downward gimp off-ledge. That and it hits for 9%

I'm getting proud of my Shulk. Too funny when you are countering bowsers attacks in buster back at him for 40+% and outrange him. Hard to play I feel but when you monado speed off ledge with a short hop quick swap to jump hit your fair in the lower corner of the map and come back? Feels like you can do anything.

Last edited:

no1butmenotu

Smash Cadet
Regular Samus is pretty good. Gotta get used to the fact that her up air and up recovery can kill. Also her up smash is a kill move now too. She fights pretty well from far away and up close vs in brawl I kept her as a keep away character.

Kaiboiii

Smash Cadet
Pac-Man, Little Mac and Duck Hunt Duo.

Pac-Man has some amazing special moves with good attack power.
Little Mac's ground power is insane although I have trouble keeping on the stage with players constantly knocking me up (That sounded a bit odd.)
And Duck Hunt Duo has the best specials IMO, he can shoot his clay pigeon then with some fast tapping hit a barrel then follow up with a cowboy guymcgee.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
In terms of who I main:
:rosalina::4sonic::4duckhunt::4mario::4megaman::4tlink:

I've been consistently doing really well with all of these guys. Rosalina in particular seems like she will always be top tier. Mainly because she has more possibilities and options than any other character, and as a result, I can easily form strategies as a match progresses.

In terms of who I'm interested in right now after mixing things up online:
:4bowser::4kirby::4marth::4pit::4darkpit::4pacman:

I see a lot of potential for these guys. I'm a little worried Bowser might fall off later in the game, though.

In terms of who could give me troubIe when I was against them but have not really played as them:

:4yoshi::4peach::4sheik::4zelda::4littlemac::4myfriends:

In each case, I only have met one or two good players using them, but that alone makes me see that they are very good in the right hands. Little Mac might be limited, though...

jamzthehedgehog

Smash Cadet
NNID
JamzTheHedgehog
I think people are sleeping on Diddy Kong. He's still extremely good and has some amazing combo potential after down throw. Other characters with promise IMO are Rob, Metaknight, Sonic, Palutena (with customs), Sheik, Robin, Zero suit, Mario and Greninja.

Kekezo

Smash Cadet
:4greninja::4littlemac::4robinm:
It's kinda hard to say, because this game is honestly pretty balanced.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I've had the most luck with :4lucina:. Her being a clone of :4marth: with no tipper is a blessing in disguise.
I've tried using :4ganondorf:a bunch but I feel like he's mostly the same as in Brawl, which is bad news. Come on Sakurai, give me one good playable Zelda villain.
gir.png

:4lucario: is slightly easier to use than in Brawl, and I like him.

I really really love :4shulk:,:4zss:, :4villagerf:, and :4bowserjr:.

dd_ray

Smash Rookie
NNID
dray
3DS FC
0404-5755-0943
When people get good with villager, pac, rosalina i will be afraid.
Right now though I am godly with Samus and kirby.

Niala

Smash Ace
:4zss: She's just crazy.

Honorable mentions include: :4falcon::4bowserjr::4duckhunt::4zss::4greninja::4jigglypuff::4lucario::4lucina::4zss::4pacman::4robinm::rosalina::4sheik::4shulk::4zss::4wiifit::4yoshi:

That being said I think almost all the characters are playable, but these are the characters that have either given me trouble or I have performed very well on.

RedLithium

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4441-9091-9424
Yoshi is definitely really strong now. Almost every aspect of his game got buffed, and his unique aspects no longer feel like insurmountable drawbacks. So far, I actually find myself the most drawn to him of any character on the roster, which is crazy. I never thought I would consider maining the Yosh after Melee and Brawl.
i feel exactly the same i tought i was going to main shiekor falcon when i watched their gameplay when the game released in japan but man, yoshi feel so good, he has an awsome combo game, his up b can help to recover(just a little), and he has the perfect weight that one that is heavy but not enought to get combo-ed hard he is in my opinion one of the best characters in the game and one of my mains along with jigglypuff.

Beatness

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Beatness
3DS FC
5412-9896-3151
Just beat like 10 people in a row with:rosalina:. Even though I kinda think that it's because people just don't know how to play against her very well yet.

Sky Saber

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4983-5890-8462
I feel Mega Man is really good. Not the best, but he's underrated.

Greninja is beyond amazing. A bit tricky to control at times, but very effective.

Drexel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Valk54
3DS FC
4527-9856-8570
I am not sure why people are raving over Duck Hunt Dog being very good. He really struggles against characters who can reflect projectiles, (Mario, Dr. Mario, Fox, Falco, etc.). While it is true that his attacks have huge hitboxes, the majority of his attacks involve a projectile of some sorts. Once, me and my brother had a match together. I was Dr. Mario and he was Duck Hunt Dog. He used a forward smash and in reaction, I used the side special--the cape to try and turn him the other way, but instead of that, Duck Hunt Dog got shot offscreen, (We were at higher percentages), so I think that I must have reflected his actual smash attack and turned it against him. So maybe Duck Hunt Dog has disadvantages against other characters who can reflect too. For that I don't think he'll be high tier, but a very respectable upper-mid tier character at most.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
I think the thing with DHD is that he's very dangerous if you respect him and let him set up traps. The key is just not to respect him and go ham on him the whole time. He's not completely powerless at close range, but most characters will beat him in that department. He definitely likes to have time to set up his gimmicks and if you give it to him you're just playing right into his hands.

Drexel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Valk54
3DS FC
4527-9856-8570
I think the thing with DHD is that he's very dangerous if you respect him and let him set up traps. The key is just not to respect him and go ham on him the whole time. He's not completely powerless at close range, but most characters will beat him in that department. He definitely likes to have time to set up his gimmicks and if you give it to him you're just playing right into his hands.
I suppose it could also be due to my aggressive playstyle too. Dr. Mario loves being up close and personal for his combo game so that really plays to my favor against a character like that.

pezaddict

Smash Lord
Based on my 1 vs 1 For Glory experiences, Little Mac seems to be the best character I've seen. If you can't get him to come to the edge or your character doesn't have good air attacks, it's really hard to win. That being said, I'm having a hard time thinking of any truly bad characters. Yoshi comes to my mind first, but that's because it seems like his eggs are a lot weaker and that was my favorite move to use. I also don't like that Dr. Mario's cape seems to be weaker, but he is a good character.

Keep in mind that I'm more of a casual player (at least for now - although I have been playing since the original N64 game), so I probably don't use more of the advanced techniques that others do (assuming they exist).

MattTheGameFreak

Smash Apprentice
Personally, I think Ike is really really good, maybe because I main him, but Eruption is one of the best edge-guard moves in the game. His spacing is superb too, and the number of options he has are greater than you'd think. He actually has more combo potential in this game than he did Brawl. His down-tilt absolutely destroys Little Mac, because it sends opponents out horizontally.

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
Based on my 1 vs 1 For Glory experiences, Little Mac seems to be the best character I've seen. If you can't get him to come to the edge or your character doesn't have good air attacks, it's really hard to win. That being said, I'm having a hard time thinking of any truly bad characters. Yoshi comes to my mind first, but that's because it seems like his eggs are a lot weaker and that was my favorite move to use. I also don't like that Dr. Mario's cape seems to be weaker, but he is a good character.

Keep in mind that I'm more of a casual player (at least for now - although I have been playing since the original N64 game), so I probably don't use more of the advanced techniques that others do (assuming they exist).
people are saying (on some streams) that yoshi is top 3 easily

Drexel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Valk54
3DS FC
4527-9856-8570
Personally, I think Ike is really really good, maybe because I main him, but Eruption is one of the best edge-guard moves in the game. His spacing is superb too, and the number of options he has are greater than you'd think. He actually has more combo potential in this game than he did Brawl. His down-tilt absolutely destroys Little Mac, because it sends opponents out horizontally.
Agreed completely after trying him out some. He has more combo options than I initially thought. He seems quicker in comparison too for a little bit loss in power, actually might be one of my sub-mains if I get the hang of him.

Drexel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Valk54
3DS FC
4527-9856-8570
While I do say that Yoshi is now a very good character, I don't think Yoshi will be a top 3 character. My reason being that he still can only have two jumps, while they are very high it only makes edgeguarding Yoshi easy, even with the short hop he gets from throwing the eggs. If you can keep Yoshi off the edge of the stage without him touching the ground after he has used both of his jumps, he is pretty much forced to die. However, his combat strength is real so while I don't picture him in the top 3, I can see him in the top 8.

ConeZ

Smash Apprentice
Characters I feel are just very strong (possibly top tier): :4duckhunt::rosalina::4sheik::4zss::4yoshi::4sonic:
Thus far, these are the characters that have left the strongest impressions on me from playing against them. (Except Sonic, I have just seen things).
Characters I feel like are probably high tier: :4bowser::4jigglypuff::4littlemac::4pikachu::4marth:
I feel like these characters are all very strong, and they have some decent potential from what I have seen, but it is nothing that is unbearable.
Dat advanced tech though: :4tlink::4link::4peach:
I don't know how much it'll affect things, but toss cancelling I am sure will only help them.
Up in the air: :4gaw::4robinm::4shulk::4villager:
Robin and Shulk I just feel like have some really powerful tools to work with, and I feel like their skill caps LOOK to be really high, so I think there is a possibility they might rise up later on.
As for the Villager, he has some strong stuff, but I just don't know how I feel about it yet.
G&W, however, is my main thus far, and I personally think he has some tools that... if they turn out to be guaranteed that are very very nice. Also the bucket kinda makes him instantly amazing in some matchups xD
Overrated (IMO)::4greninja:
I couldn't beat him the first few games I played against Greninjas online, but once I figured out how his Shadow Sneak worked in practice, he felt very beatable, as his only real approach option is a gimmick that can be shielded and punished.
Idk, maybe it is just me, but he appeared to be strong at first, but after I figured out the gimmick, I have won my last 5ish games against Greninjas. Granted, he might still be good, and his options provide a lot of pressure and mixups, but I personally feel like he is not unbearable to deal with, and is more of a middle-high tier character.

A lot of the other characters feel okay, not too bad, not too good imo. I feel like a lot of the other characters are balanced enough to be usable which is very nice.
**** Tier: :4wiifit:
Maybe it is just because I am G&W, and I can bucket the neutral B, but I played against 2 Wii Fit Trainers online, and it was the most free **** I have ever played, and it didn't feel like it was even really the player. The character just felt so free. I didn't feel under any pressure no matter what the person did.

pezaddict

Smash Lord
Maybe so, but I play characters because I have fun with them, and Yoshi's moveset isn't as fun as it was in Melee and Brawl. You can barely shoot the eggs far at all, from my experience. The little rainbows on the eggs are a nice touch though. Maybe he's better with his A moves, but I'm not interested enough to find out.

Lucario is also really good - powerful attacks (stronger with damage), ranged and close-combat moves, and a great recovery.

Top Bottom