• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Characters you think are really good?

Yams

Smash Journeyman
I've been really enjoying Mario. I think he has really good combo potential and a strong aerial game. Also, I never really see her mentioned, but I really like Wii Fit Trainer as well.

D

Deleted member

Geez, seeing everyone say ness isn't very good makes me feel good, since I don't think i have lost yet while using him.

Donkey_Inferno

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Donkey_Inferno
3DS FC
4768-7553-7018
Bowser Jr. and Greninja are the business. I love them a bunch. Also love Robin, DHD and ZSS.

KeketheBasedCat

Smash Apprentice
DK's ground spin is comically good i agree. Ive slapped several people silly with that move becuase they just charge in trying to overpower it. i dont think you can without a projectile, ive never been punched in it.
I just severely hate the Free Fall after he punches though. Thats never been a thing, and i used it as a sideways meteor smash against recovery in the past. Cant do that now because i go freefall. Wtf?
Do you mean his signature neutral-B move? The chargeable punch? Cause that definitely put you in free fall in Brawl, at least. Not sure about PM or Melee off the top of my head.

Malcolmnex

Smash Apprentice
as u may guess id say bowser Jr. but opponent wise, the most challenging are Rosalina and robin. robin is camp god and i literally have to dodge the full game, duck hunt is the same but robin has the bonus of being great upclose.

rosalina is difficult because luma always gets in the f***ing way of my combos.....

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
Greninja is the best character I have played as so far. I'm surprised there is not more buzz around him. I think Bowser Jr. will be pretty boss too with the games you can play with mecha koopas.

CitizenSNIPS

Smash Cadet
I think Sheik is pretty easy to use and extremely good. Whenever I play her I ask myself why I'm not using her as a main. I think the new ledge mechanics improve her survivability too which was probably one of her bigger weaknesses inthe previous games.

Duckhunt Duo also seems pretty good. Good range and power with melee attacks, nice projectiles and quick aerials.

XxBlazingSpeedxX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
XBlazingSpeedX
From what I've seen online the only characters that really give me trouble are Sheik, Greninja, ZSS And Fox. I did play one person who used Duck Hunt extremely well though too. And I'm not sure if it's the match up or not but Little Mac to me isn't THAT good because of his terrible ledge game. Ooohhh I forgot the Mario's have been good too!

I main Samus btw

Last edited:

EarthBoundRules

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4399-0517-2480
Sonic, Greninja and ZSS seem very good after playing against them. I expected the latter two to be good, but I'm a bit surprised about Sonic.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Yoshi is definitely really strong now. Almost every aspect of his game got buffed, and his unique aspects no longer feel like insurmountable drawbacks. So far, I actually find myself the most drawn to him of any character on the roster, which is crazy. I never thought I would consider maining the Yosh after Melee and Brawl.

SmashXX

Smash Cadet
Zelda is really good, I just wish she had less landing lag on her aerial neutral A and forward/ back air kicks as well as a bigger hitbox for Din's Fire like she had in Brawl.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
ZSS, DH, Rosalina, Sheik, Bowser and Captain Falcon

I think ZSS is the best though. DH is annoying to face. Rosalina is an unknown at this point, but better than expected... Sheik/Falcon/Bowser are much better than in Brawl.

Tojiro2

Smash Rookie
:4littlemac: :rosalina: and :4duckhunt:

Although a lot of bad players use littlemac, i can easily see him being very strong used by someone above decent

RedLithium

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4441-9091-9424
i really like jigglypuff, mario and yoshi, falcon and shiek feel really good too once you get used to them since their play style is diferent from their melee counterparts

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
It's much easier to ask who isn't good - but even that is a hard question. Every character seems to have definite strengths and weaknesses. That said, I think that Mario, Peach, Bowser, Link, Ganon, ZSS, Palutena, Ike, Little Mac, Zard, Puff, Duck Hunt, Lucina, Marth, Shulk and Pac are all pretty good.

EarthBoundRules

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4399-0517-2480
Along with Sonic, another unsuspecting character that seems extremely good is Yoshi. I can't seem to take a stock off a good Yoshi.

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
Ness.

I actually didn't read the thread. Has this been discussed?

harbinqer

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5343-9989-0010
Killers: :4bowser: :4littlemac: :4greninja: :rosalina: :4zss:
If-used-correctly killers: :4megaman: :4mario: :4pit: / :4darkpit: :4rob:

Emphasis on :4rob:
Ran into A LOT of trouble in For Glory with him

Last edited:

Naisora

Smash Apprentice
I'm honestly worried about bowser tbh. So far I've only played against scrubs who use them, but despite being scrubs, they still did decent, for scrubs that is. I fear the thought of him falling into the hands of a good player.

harbinqer

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5343-9989-0010
I'm honestly worried about bowser tbh. So far I've only played against scrubs who use them, but despite being scrubs, they still did decent, for scrubs that is. I fear the thought of him falling into the hands of a good player.
Same issue here
I've played against scrubs who switch over to :4bowser: after losing a couple times in a row
Still won but the change provided quite a bit more trouble than usual

Naisora

Smash Apprentice
Same issue here
I've played against scrubs who switch over to :4bowser: after losing a couple times in a row
Still won but the change provided quite a bit more trouble than usual
Exactly, thats what I mean. I win the games but its too close you know, shouldn't be that close if the player isn't that good. Although I also think thats an issue from the game, since in general the game feels easier imo.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
The characters that cause the most trouble for me currently are:4sheik::4bowser::4fox::4dedede::4shulk:

Runner ups are :4zss::4bowserjr::rosalina::4littlemac::4dk:

As for the characters I play myself, :4falcon::4samus: seem the best.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Pit, Palutena, Lucina, Greninja, R.O.B., Zero Suit Samus, Ludwig, Duck Hunt, Shulk, Bowser, Wario, Rosaluma, Olimar, Pac-Man, Wii Fit Trainer, Yoshi, Villager, Link, Donkey Kong, Ness...

Yeah, there's a lot of top-drawer talent in this game.

Last edited:

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
:4bowser::4dedede::4diddy::4duckhunt::4greninja::rosalina::4sheik::4sonic::4yoshi::4zss:

At a cursory glance from having seen them, competitively and casually, as well as played them, I'm expecting all of these to show up in one way or another in the top lists. They all have exhibited incredible prowess in terms of mobility and options. They can dominate most stages with little effort and come with relatively minimal drawbacks along with it.

Last edited:

evoxpisces

Smash Rookie
Pac-Man I think is awesome. Yoshi got a lot better. Bowser is a lot better. Shulk is pretty great. Greninja is fun and pretty good too.

Drexel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Valk54
3DS FC
4527-9856-8570
For me there are quite a few good characters, but the ones that stand out for me are:
:4drmario::4greninja::4littlemac::4kirby::4bowser::4yoshi::4lucario::4falco::4sheik::4peach::4mario:

Dr. Mario is a combo beast with the old Melee set returning at long last. Quick aerials, and great side smashes, (I think they are stronger than Mario's). Great throws too. I would put him high-tier for sure as he is my main, I love him.

Greninja was one of my initial favorites and I still love him. Also has great aerials, very agile, great recovery, and his projectile is quite good as it can be steered up or down slightly. He also has a very good up smash. Also think he would do nicely in high-tier.

Little Mac is one that I have never lost with yet. If you know how to play to his strengths in speed and power on the ground he can wreck. However, he is really easy to edgeguard if you hit him in the air off stage towards the edge of the screen, and he struggles against spacies like Falco and Marth. I'd put him upper-mid tier/mid tier because of this.

Kirby is also quite good. He is faster than he was in Brawl, great aerials as always and good recovery as well as a great combo game. His grab range is pretty awesome too along with his throws. He also got freedom with controlling his hammer. I say high-tier for him.

Bowser got what he sorely needed. More agility, stronger flamethrower, extremely powerful side smashes. I love him and he should be in high tier.

Yoshi also got some nice boosts. Strong aerials, especially the Dair can rack up huge damage along with good smashes. His egg roll also got faster and stronger. I say upper-mid tier for him.

Lucario plays well in comeback situations. He may not be the fastest or the strongest at first but if you get behind in terms of damage, Lucario becomes a KO monster. If you can stay alive with him at higher percentages, look out. Upper-mid tier.

Falco is much like he was in Brawl with some minor differences. His gun is slower, and his Dair spike has lag now, but I find it easier to land, also he got stronger throws I think. He still retains a good combo game though and still has nice aerials. Upper-mid tier.

Shiek is quite agile, and got some nice new tricks with the grenade and the bouncing fish attacks. Definitely high tier.

Peach...*shudders* I personally hate and cannot play as her, but she definitely got stronger. Her parasol is now threatening, she has a stronger counter attack and still is very floaty and has nice aerials along with a nice recovery. High tier.

Mario is much like Dr. Mario, (or vice versa if you prefer), except he is better at edgeguarding with his F.L.U.D.D, but he doesn't have as good of a combo game due to that, but it is still nice. High tier for him as well.

Cammed Z28

SB-Jgd = My FG gamer tag
3DS FC
2852-9484-2780
I can't tell if I'm bad at the game and I'm losing because of that, or because I'm maining Ness who is a bad character. Is Ness bad or do I just suck? Can someone confirm?
I have been maining :4littlemac:and I encountered a player who was :4ness:and he mopped the floor with me. It didn't matter if I played defense or offensive strategies the player was damn good at reading and his full use of Ness's capabilities.

What made the loss sting is I actually laughed out loud when I saw :4ness: as my opponent. Judgement FTL

A good player most def can use Ness well and win

shogungari

Smash Apprentice
I don't care what they say, Rosalina is not the fourth lightest character. No way she can survive to 250% if that were true. Not to mention Luma hits like a truck attached to an airplane. You don't mess with a giant goddess.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Rosalina, Pac-Man, and Little Mac.

Rosalina is my pick for best character in the game. Her ability to control the stage is absolutely insane and Luma shenanigans have just completely tripped me up on more than a few occasions.

Pac-Man is really being slept on. Fire Hydrant is amazing, disjointed aerials combined with his floatiness, fruit for camping, great recovery & the surprisingly little amount of end lag he has on many of his moves makes him extremely effective.

Little Mac is self-explanatory. He's an absolute nightmare in the hands of a good player.

Last edited:
Top Bottom