• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Characters Least and Most Effected by HD Lag

Status
Not open for further replies.

White Bread

Smash Cadet
We all, unfortunately, have experienced vary degrees of lag on HD TV's. I was talking to Moonkey yesterday, at a local Play n Trade tournament, about which characters were most effected (and least) by very significant HD lag. We disagreed, to my surprise, I said characters like Fox and Falco we most effected, and he said Ganon and Falcon were the most. I think we both agreed that Marth was the least effected by HD lag.
I would say something like this:

Most effected:
Fox, Falco, Jigglypuff (idk why).

Least:
Marth, C. Falcon, Ice Climbers... Sheik maybe

I didn't really have much of a chance to screw around before the tournament, so I think I may have not done as well because of this HD lag. ( I picked Fox, because we weren't allowed to counter pick, and FD only.)

So what does everyone think about how each character is effected by HD lag, or, as I suspect, does anyone even care?

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
To me it depends somewhat on one's playstyle. Someone relying on visual ques might have more trouble vs someone that relies chiefly on muscle memory imo. I have trouble with perfect wavelands as Ganon on HD TV's and it really affects my game since Ganon isn't nearly as fast without wavelanding (which do not require speed, but they do require precise timing which is very difficult with lag imo). In contrast, the ledgedash (ledgehop waveland) is mostly muscle memory for me and lag doesn't effect this quite as much.

thataintflaco1338

Smash Journeyman
We all, unfortunately, have experienced vary degrees of lag on HD TV's. I was talking to Moonkey yesterday, at a local Play n Trade tournament, about which characters were most effected (and least) by very significant HD lag. We disagreed, to my surprise, I said characters like Fox and Falco we most effected, and he said Ganon and Falcon were the most. I think we both agreed that Marth was the least effected by HD lag.
I would say something like this:

Most effected:
Fox, Falco, Jigglypuff (idk why).

Least:
Marth, C. Falcon, Ice Climbers... Sheik maybe

I didn't really have much of a chance to screw around before the tournament, so I think I may have not done as well because of this HD lag. ( I picked Fox, because we weren't allowed to counter pick, and FD only.)

So what does everyone think about how each character is effected by HD lag, or, as I suspect, does anyone even care?

Lol I love how you put words in my mouth

I didn't say the most, but I said they were still effected by it.

Ganon, that is. Ace summed it up pretty well.

Zodiac

Smash Master
This is melee, ALL of the characters are effected by lag pretty extensivley, the only ones I would say are more effected are the faster characters.

Sheik
fox
falco
falcon

HawaiianJigglyPuff

Smash Ace
Falco definitely.
But you really could just say everybody...I missed so many l-cancels playing ganon on my friend's HD. -_-

But Jigglypuff definitely needs no lag in order to do well.

I money matched my friend yesterday (on his stupid HD TV) against his Marth...I bet him I could 4 stock him.

I got hit by the tip of his sword (Marth) 3 times. X_X
That shouldn't have happened. HD is teh lamez.

I lost my stock before I even took one.

Edit: I like this thread because I have to deal with HD **** at my friends' houses all the time.

White Bread

Smash Cadet
I think that if a character's metagame techs are all about watching the TV closely, as opposed to muscle memory, it won't really be that affected as long as you stop yourself from using muscle memory.

That's why I think Falco and Fox are more affected because they require a lot of both.
Where as, in my opinion, Marth and Falcon don't suffer as much because most of the techs are about watching the TV closely and can be adapted to in a few matchs.

I also noticed that if I was just pillaring with Falco agianst a level 1, I had no problem. It was just when I had to combine muscle memory AND I had to watch for visual ques.

thataintflaco1338

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I guess your right, don't be so strident, though.
*****, I'll be strident if I want. Ganon gets ***** by lag, all day. :(

I also noticed that if I was just pillaring with Falco agianst a level 1, I had no problem. It was just when I had to combine muscle memory AND I had to watch for visual ques.
Yeah well when you're playing another scrub that doesn't do anything its obviously gonna be hella easy lol

White Bread

Smash Cadet
Yeah well when you're playing another scrub that doesn't do anything its obviously gonna be hella easy lol[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't call a level 1 a scrub: Level 1 'scrub' is the only player that has expirence against every single smasher in the world. Just so you know, scrub.:)

White Bread

Smash Cadet
i never get affected by hd lag,muscle memory all dai XD

but if i had to say a char,maybe jiggs(try to hit a rest -_-)
Idk, Sikass and I play on a TV that lags by about 1 frame. That is reasonable, I couldn't even tell until very recently.

So maybe that's the kind of HD lag your dealing with, this was about 3 to 4 frames, Moonkey thinks it was closer to 5. That is insane.

I also think shooters are more effected then Smash by HD lag....

thataintflaco1338

Smash Journeyman
Considering I've played CAL and CEVO for like every FPS, I can contest that FPS games are much more effected by lag. You don't have to worry about your ping and fps rate in smash lmfao

It was like 4 3/4 frames man, trust me.

Binx

Smash Master
everyone is hurt by HD lag, I personally just spam fsmash with Marth, he has so much range damage and knockback on his fsmash and the only real ways to punish it out of shield are to time a wavedash OoS really well, which obviously won't work as well on a laggy TV. Fsmash all day.

There are a lot of things that are significantly effected by 4 frames of lag in smash, if you can't notice it you suck. Chain grabs, wavelanding, most tech chases, and some grab timings against aerials are all effected by HD lag of even a few frames.

Ja

Smash Journeyman
Man, I bed matched my friend (winner gets bed, loser sleeps on the floor), and it was on an HD tv. I wish I had known it was an HD tv, or I wouldn't have done it. Anyways here's what I learned from last night.

In the CF vs. Sheik matchup, sheik suffers, because she doesn't have the time to react to cf, and ftilt all his approaches. CF can basically through out knees, and you won't have time to tilt or shield. Sheik can't do her **** tech chases, it's pretty bad for the sheik.

In CF vs. Marth matchup, it's a bit more fair, b/c fsmash is harder to punish, marth's fairs aren't punishable. CF also can't combo as well. Marth's jab, and fair are fast enough that he can stop CF from spamming knees.

Young Link vs. Marth, not sure what to say about this other than it's a little harder dodging projectiles on a laggy tv. Young Link is still a bad character, and the Marth stuff from the CF matchup still applies.

Note when I say something isn't punishable, I mean it is punishable only be "being psychic".

Vsin

Smash Apprentice
It only doesn't matter if you're used to it. If a CRT guy suddenly got stuck on a HD, he would get horribly screwed over so badly it wouldn't be funny. Meanwhile, someone who plays on an HD day in day out is probably completely used to it.

On a sidenote: HD passively breeds anticipation, while CRT passively breeds reaction. Because on an HD, anyone who plays on it still does notice the lag. As such, that person learns to read attacks and counter them that way. Meanwhile, CRT players counter using reactions, as "instant" input allows them to do frame-perfect stuff.

So to end the sidenote, HD player on CRT > CRT player on HD, because the CRT guy's reactions are milennia behind on a HD, while the HD player can still read the play on a CRT (though the timing will feel off for a bit).

LLDL

Smash Hero
Character most affected is Fox, character least affected is Donkey Kong

I also think shooters are more effected then Smash by HD lag....
Melee is THE most affected game in HD. Some say DDR, but you can delay your timing to still get AAA's regardless of HD lag.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
IT ALWAYS MATTERS. There really is no argument here, lol. Here's one example of many: You're Sheik, and you just knocked your opponent down. They either have to stand in place, tech roll right, tech roll left, or getup attack. Let's say your goal at the time is to dash-grab/wavegrab/combo them as a tech chase. Instead of you reading your opponent's reaction and acting accordingly (immediately), you are forced to guess where he will be next and hope that your next move hits, as well as hope that whatever combo you choose after that follows every bit of their DI through straight luck (within a 3-5 frame window?). IT IS NOT THE SAME.

mostwins

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4742-8002-0115
Ironically my Fox is much better when i play on my parents vizio. normally my fingers are just a tad too slow for him but the lag actually helps me out. My falco turns into absolute garbage from the lag. on the whole id say the floaties arent really hurt too bad by it.

anyone else expereince something similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom