• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character With The Easiest/Hardest Learning Curve

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
I don't play many characters, but wouldn't the ICs be one of the hardest (n00b question)?

link2702

Smash Champion
yoshi is without a dobut the hardest, he's been that way since smash64.

you gotta know just what the hell you're doing with him else you'll get slaughtered bad.

I know many people(myself included) who just gave up on yoshi cuz he's so awkward to try and get used to playing as.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
well, I'm kind of guessing here, but it might be like this:

easiest: mario, Kirby

hardest: Ness, Pika(?)

Melee

easiest: mario

hardest: Ness, Yoshi

Brawl

easiest:Kirby

hardest: probably Olimar

Hive Mind

Smash Journeyman
Don't get me wrong, but I'm pretty sure that there was a thread like this before.
Anyway, easiest = GaW hardest = Icees

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Hardest? Sonic, Snake, ICs, Wario.

Easiest? Everyone else. ;)

bleyva

Smash Ace
Easiest: Snake, just surround yourself in walls of tilt/projectile hitboxes and youll win 90% of the time.

Hardest: I find Ganon, Yoshi and Samus pretty difficult to use effectively, for different reasons.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Brawl:
Easiest- DeDeDe
Hardest- Toon Link

Melee:
Easiest- Marth
Hardest- Fox

Smash64:
Easiest- Kirby
Hardest- Link

Imo.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
yoshi is without a dobut the hardest, he's been that way since smash64.

you gotta know just what the hell you're doing with him else you'll get slaughtered bad.

I know many people(myself included) who just gave up on yoshi cuz he's so awkward to try and get used to playing as.
I see this a lot, but I had no trouble at all diving into Yoshi. Maybe I just got lucky? XD

For me, I'd say that Icies are the hardest.

The easiest is G&W. I never even play as him and I could probably use him decently. I find him very easy to get into.

Uffe

Smash Hero
In my opinion:

Very High learning curve: Sheik, Yoshi, Ice Climbers, Snake, Sonic, , Zero Suit Samus, Diddy Kong

High learning curve: Bowser, Peach, Ganondorf, Pikachu, Samus, Lucario, Wario

Average learning curve: Mario, Luigi, Donkey Kong, Link, Zelda, King Dedede, Fox, Captain Falcon, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard, Jigglypuff, Ike, Ness, Lucas

Low learning curve: Toon Link, Pit, ROB, Falco, Wolf, Kirby, Olimar, Marth, Mr. Game and Watch

Very low learning curve: Metaknight

If I were to set up a graph showing this, it would look something like this:

VHLC>>HLC>ALC>LLC>>VLLC

To explain each:

VHLC: Playing as these characters straight forward will pretty much result in you getting the crap kicked out of you. A lot of thought and practice has to be put in to be good with these characters and there's an enormous differences between those that know how to play them right and those that don't. Usually involve learning a decent number of techs, strategies, and proper spacing to really excel with them.

HLC: Take a lot of thought and practice but not quite to the degree as the those with a VHLC. Also, you can still be successful with them even if you aren't completely familar with them but it's not all that likely. These characters have their techs too but they aren't completely essential for a win usually (like with Pikachu's QAC).

ALC: Like the name suggests, average. They have their minor quirks but they usually aren't too hard to pick up. Usually you just have to be familar with the characters' strengths and weaknesses to use them with a decent amount of competence.

LLC: These are characters that you can get familar with within a few matches or simply by watching videos. Many of the strategies used by these characters are universal too and not overly complex which makes them even easier to pick up. As you may have noticed, most of them are on the high tier spectrum on the board too which would explain why a lot of them are popular secondaries.

VLLC: Count the number of fingers you have. Are there ten of them? Can you move them? Now, can you hold a controller? Good, then you're good to go. :laugh: I'm somewhat kidding but Metaknight has a lot more options than most characters thanks to his awesome offstage game, high priority attacks, lack of lag for a majority of his attacks, and his 5 methods of recovery. It also helps that he can almost quite literally shut down nearly half of the cast with some of the things mentioned above. Switching from another character to Metaknight is almost literally a day process.
Glad I found this.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Olimar can't be that hard. I had a friend pick him up quick and does great with that character.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Hardest, hmm...

*IC's= Without putting lots of effort into learning these guys, you will utterly suck. These guys need real practice to keep that feeling-in-your-gut when you need to regrab after a throw to continue your infinites AND to keep up with your opponent if either grabs aren't working, or Nana died.
*Yoshi= Oh lord, he is so awkward. I believe he's easier in Brawl than in the other games, but he has so many techs that you HAVE to know, and you HAVE to learn how to zone and space, or else you'll be forced to pull out the sad excuse for a shield he has... Which you should avoid as much as possibility lets you.
*ZSS= I might be biased here, but let's see what I have to say at least. She can't punish with grabs practically, doesn't kill with smashes, her recovery moves are awkward (tethers are the main recovery options, plus her downB footstool), her attacks are weak and must be used in conjunction (combos) in order to successfully rack up damage, and can't bair OoS or out of a shorthop to punish mistakes. You have to play a bit different than usual and avoid the "Smash Time!' feeling you'll probably get.

And easiest to use, hmm... MK and Kirby? I don't say Snake because even if he is pretty easy to use, it takes some skill to actually use him competitively.

Frio

Smash Champion
I'd say Diddy or Sonic. Sonic because he seems really weird to play as. Diddy cause of his general play style requires brawl Knowledge

Sulfur

Smash Apprentice
Are you guys serious? I'm trying not to just say my main is the hardest, like most of the people in this thread.
But, I don't see how Pokemon Trainer wouldn't be top? You have to learn 3 characters, and worry about matchups, switching strategies, and more.

Easiest- Falcon. Always seemed pretty simple to me.

ThreeSided

Smash Ace
Glad I found this.
THANK YOU for finding that. Everyone always seems to forget the difficulty that is Zamus. -_-

Dat' **** is HARD!!!

Also, MK isn't the easiest. He's probably in the top 5, but not first or second. =P Well, ASSUMING we aren't talking about how much skill with the character it takes to WIN, but rather the amount of time and effort it takes to basically "master" (in a loose sense) the character.

So under that definition, I would say that the two easiest characters are G&W and Kirby.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Sonic being difficult to pick up... I can see the arguments but it's kind of blurry to me... All you need to know is how to control his movement and his options, which while vast are only somewhat rewarding and still limited... also realizing what works and when, that is something I can agree with being difficult if you're on your own.

Being successful with him is kind of headdesk worthy too.

As for who is the easiest and isn't MK...? probably Kirby.

I've seen people say how G&W is a 2-D character (no pun intended), but me to me he just feels so weird... but I guess it's just me not wanting to have to bare with a somewhat simplistic and straightforward playstyle... Bear dance anybody? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXUcOei3FUM

This game is not hard to pick up and play... I can probably do well enough to get around (barely, or just shy of) with the likes of Snake/ICs/Etc. While I can't promise you I'd win a set against an(y) opponent in-tourney/bracket, I can do well enough to at least... take them down 2-stocks mid %? I probably sound like I'm bragging but I hope you can understand what I mean that with enough basic knowledge of this game you should be able to pick up any character and put up a fight... but winning with more than 1-2 characters is an entirely different story.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
THANK YOU for finding that. Everyone always seems to forget the difficulty that is Zamus. -_-

Dat' **** is HARD!!!
I didn't find her that hard to pick up. It's only because she's so different to everyone else. If you work at it, you can play her to a semi-decent level in 5-6 weeks.

Answering the question:

Easiest: Kirby

Hardest: Olimar or Ice Climbers

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I didn't find her that hard to pick up. It's only because she's so different to everyone else. If you work at it, you can play her to a semi-decent level in 5-6 weeks.
How can you call this easy to learn, a month and a half? :confused:

Some characters are easier to learn, you can pick up IC's and learn the cg's at around the same time you can learn ZSS to a semi-decent level.

Just saying, not meaning disrespect.

A~Kid/ToonethLinkage

Wants His Own Custom Title
All of you guys are so different. IMHO I think the hardest are DEFINITELY Toon Link, Yoshi, and IC's

I find Snake, Sonic, and Olimar EASY. IMO The easiest is DEFINITELY Kirby.

Also I don't think ZSS was that hard. I became DECENT with her in 2 days. Maybe I'm just lucky. =\

Mikey Free

Smash Rookie
On the harder side of things i would have to go with ice climbers and snake. Between chain grabs and all of snakes traps and techniques they have a massive learning curve to use them correctly.

and for the easiest learning curve im going to have to say like wolf..i had no problem at all picking him up and getting really good with him.

FUNKLAB

Smash Cadet
I made a thread like this on AIB and we determined that easiest were GnW and Kirby, and most difficult were Snake and ICs.

Uffe

Smash Hero

Answering the question:

Easiest: Kirby

Hardest: Olimar or Ice Climbers
Some people seem to work with her pretty well, but most fail to use her correctly.

JUDGE

Smash Lord
hardest: IC AND SNAAAAKE

easiest : most of the other chars

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Hmm this is weird, although it is the general consensus that Yoshi has a high learning curve, I found him incredibly easy to pick up and learn as a main.

IMO, Snake was extremely hard (that means to play at a level that doesnt just involve ftilt-ftilt-ftilt-ftilt-ftilt-utilt-KO) Lucario, and Zelda (Im biased I know, but getting LK timing and FW positioning is pretty hard) were hard too.

Easiest Id say Pit was easiest for me, one of the reasons why hes by one of my mains since the game came out cus he came to easily to me.

Top Bottom