• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Does anyone feel like Sakurai just hates Mewtwo? I mean he did make it a bad fighter in Melee, and then he threw it into the trash, never to be seen again.
I would more so blame the negative reception the fans (yes, THE FANS) gave to the character, giving the impression that the character was a mistake to the developers.

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
It's not baffling that Ridley isn't playable. That was always highly probable. The baffling thing is that he got some strange special treatment. We still haven't seen his in game model or seen Sakurai address him directly or by name. The "tease" that he was a boss was strange because everyone knew it was Ridley, but he didn't just come out and say "Ridley is a boss and not playable. Stay tuned for more on this later." Everyone would have been over it by now if he had just done that, but he didn't. He danced around the subject and we still don't know why he did or what purpose it could possibly serve. That's what seems "baffling" in this situation -- that every other NPC that was popular or highly requested had a direct disconfirmation to go with our first glimpse of them (Chrom is a prime example of this). Soon we'll know if the Wii U Connectivity rumor is true, which it probably isn't. If it is, we'll know exactly why Ridley wasn't confirmed as a boss (because he isn't). The more likely route, however, is that he is just a boss and that we get what we see. People will then pester and question Sakurai on his reasoning for doing so, especially with one of the most requested and sought-after characters. I don't see why he would want that or what the purpose would be, but we'll know soon enough.
But was it special treatment? Perhaps he just has a new model or game mechanic as a boss, or in-stage hazard? Everyone just assumes they know what Sakurai's intention was, but they don't know what it was. So my point still is that people got hyped up and dug into something that was never necessarily there in the first place, which is fine, but to be "baffled" by his exclusion tells me that the hype just took over.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

After the day SSB Wii U comes out, I guess we can legitimately begin to speculate about Smash Next's content.

As for me however, after yesterday's Armageddon, I've pretty lost all of my desire to speculate.

Last edited by a moderator:

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
Speculation has been fun, the characters have all been pretty much revealed, and I believed in the leak 100% from day one, kind of shocked that it turned out to be the real roster and I think the roster is alright, I'm not complaining :grin: and at least I'll have Hyrule Warriors to play soon to pass the time until the US release of Smash Bros. 3DS :awesome:

Now it's time to...

Last edited:

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
It's sad to think that, with the exclusion of Ice Climbers, the Ice Climber "series" is now the first Nintendo series to lose all playable representation in Smash.

Niala

Smash Ace
It's sad to think that, with the exclusion of Ice Climbers, the Ice Climber "series" is now the first Nintendo series to lose all playable representation in Smash.
MGS, too. Although it's a third party, it still lost its only character.

Oh, he'll find some way to dish out another menu screen.
I think this is my favourite thing in the past 20 pages, btw.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I will miss the fan item

But dixie deconfirmed thats great news for king k rool fans

Because the final pre-release potd confirms patches (im still 100% sure we would have to pay for the missing 4. Though)

Dims

Smash Cadet
So, what does everybody think of DLC?

Yay? Nay? Possiblay?
Yay!... Possiblay!... Hopefullay...

I am theorizing that the last 4 "spots" on the CSS are gonna be taken by DLC or a free update on Wii U release.
If that is actually the case, my guesses are on Mewtwo, Chorus Men, Ridley, and maybe K. Rool? Just because he was so requested and Dixie was deconfirmed by trophy. I'd rather have Impa though... Pretty sure the five I mentioned does not have trophies (that's been found anyways) which seems a little suspicious, so that may also back it up.

It may just all be wishful thinking though. I am happy with the roster as it is now anyways! It went way over my initial expectations!
Except for not including Mewtwo ;_;

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
So, what does everybody think of DLC?

Yay? Nay? Possiblay?
YAY!!!
because sakurai know what most people wants also he didnt get too much time for making new charcters so he did put so many clones in this game we should just wait sakurai until he finish making DLC charcters then the roster will be PERFECT

Miffa

The Money Man
NNID
DeanMiffa
Oh, a bit off topic, I know, but what about the Target Smash? Does it return?
Its not in the 3ds version maybe in Wii u Version.
YAY!!!
because sakurai know what most people wants also he didnt get too much time for making new charcters so he did put so many clones in this game we should just wait sakurai until he finish making DLC charcters then the roster will be PERFECT
Dlc u will probaly have to pay for should be added Nintendo don't do free dlc very often.

Miffa

The Money Man
NNID
DeanMiffa
Hum... This game has some hard cuts to deal...
Making it run on a 3DS cartridge maybe means lots of modes had to be cut i guess and will be put in the wii u version like Target smash and event mode is my guess.
i think the vetrans(:wolf::popo::ivysaur::squirtle::lucas:maybe:mewtwopm::roypm:) will be free DLC
i think we will pay for :snake:(kojima loves money) and newcomers
Every company likes money they would be not for profit if they didn't. The free DLC for Vets could happen but do we knot the ICs can run on the 3DS since Sakurai did mention problems with them and that's probably the reason there cut.

Aberdeano

Smash Rookie
So I think there's proof that we have more characters coming. It takes a while to explain, so here's my video on it:

Essentially, that padlock has no reason to exist if this really is the full game.
I understand the padlock idea but I think one of the other things you mentioned could be an even bigger clue. Why is All-Star mode open from the start? It's always been locked until all characters are unlocked. But if there are more characters to come which are optional/dlc/not there from the start, then it would be unfair to close All-Star mode for people that aren't able to buy/download them. Do you think the only way to get round this was to make All-Star mode roster independent?

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
After the day SSB Wii U comes out, I guess we can legitimately begin to speculate about Smash Next's content.

As for me however, after yesterday's Armageddon, I've pretty lost all of my desire to speculate.
I still don't get why we assume another smash when the current one JUST (and quite litterally) got released.

You know, Sakurai told something that I really love for saying it. He said:

"It was tough for me to see that every time I made a new game, people automatically assumed a sequel was coming. Even if it's a sequel, lots of people have to give their all to make a game, but some think the sequel proccess happens naturally."

He said that in like 2004 and 10 years after, it's the pure truth for some people on smashboards.

Like, this quote really is the main reason I don't assume anything that isn't announced, hinted or have any speculation material. Like, wait that it's announced to discuss about this. You really have to realise how just making ONE instalmement is implying for Sakurai and every person in his team.

That's why I never assumes sequels and especially for smash. I'm just even happy to get this game release, there's no point of assuming another one in years. That's not how it works.

LordJackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lordjackal92
I'm sad that the fan is not a returning item.
Well, Sakurai hates fans. Duh.

I understand the padlock idea but I think one of the other things you mentioned could be an even bigger clue. Why is All-Star mode open from the start? It's always been locked until all characters are unlocked. But if there are more characters to come which are optional/dlc/not there from the start, then it would be unfair to close All-Star mode for people that aren't able to buy/download them. Do you think the only way to get round this was to make All-Star mode roster independent?
Yeah, that's what I think the whole thing is. It's the only way I can see All-Star mode being made the way it is. Otherwise it would just be what it always was.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I still don't get why we assume another smash when the current one JUST (and quite litterally) got released.

You know, Sakurai told something that I really love for saying it. He said:

"It was tough for me to see that every time I made a new game, people automatically assumed a sequel was coming. Even if it's a sequel, lots of people have to give their all to make a game, but some think the sequel proccess happens naturally."

He said that in like 2004 and 10 years after, it's the pure truth for some people on smashboards.

Like, this quote really is the main reason I don't assume anything that isn't announced, hinted or have any speculation material. Like, wait that it's announced to discuss about this. You really have to realise how just making ONE instalmement is implying for Sakurai and every person in his team.

That's why I never assumes sequels and especially for smash. I'm just even happy to get this game release, there's no point of assuming another one in years. That's not how it works.
Yeah, considering how much hype and money Smash makes for Nintendo, there's going to be another one eventually. Just like there's always going to be another Mario game.

Too bad K.Rool has been desconfirmed via trophy too.. -.-
Ah, that stinks. Can you please post a link to the image of it or did you just see it in a stream?

Last edited:

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
oh great, we get trpohies of requested characters that didnt make the cut, are they gonna show mewtwo next?

Last edited:

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
So, was this Sakurai's last Smash game? I recall hearing some saying that this would be his final one, but I don't remember seeing any sources for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom