• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I guess I was getting greedy wanting Mewtwo and King K to make this roster really good. I ended up getting two other characters I wanted less (Duck Hunt and Bowser Jr. in the stupid Clown Car) and end up losing two of the vets I liked.

Don't be greedy guys.

I really hope this isn't the final roster.

Well Ganondorf wouldn't be in melee otherwise.
To be totally honest, I'd rather have not had Ganondorf in Melee if it meant he was going to be done right in Brawl.

And I feel you, I wanted Mewtwo and Rool more than anyone right now. I did want Jr, and I don't particularly mind the clown copter, but I would have liked the dastardly duo far more.

Last edited:

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
It's funny how Ganondorf has never attacked by punching or kicking in any Zelda game ever and yet in Smash Bros., all of his attacks consist of punches and kicks.

Last edited:

Gre ninja'd

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1693-2965-0889
It just stinks that Ganondorf had the Falcon moveset to begin with, I mean he is the main villain of Zelda. The Great King of Evil should get something of his own for being such a huge entity from the Zelda Universe.
I completely agree, someone as important as him should be a unique character

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
It's funny how Ganondorf never attacked by punching or kicking in any Zelda game ever and yet in Smash Bros., all of his attacks consist of punches and kicks.
His counter part is the same way. Except for in the F-Zero anime I guess.

Unless he does that stuff in GX cause I haven't played it.

Morbi

Scavenger
I don't know.
It is not.

Eh, would've been a robin clone then
Ganondorf is not a Robin clone at the current time, yet he does not use a sword. If anything, enabling him to use a sword in Smash 4 would result in more similarities between him and Robin. Albeit, Robin would be the "clone" in that case as the King of Darkness has seniority.

Gre ninja'd

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1693-2965-0889
It is not.

Ganondorf is not a Robin clone at the current time, yet he does not use a sword. If anything, enabling him to use a sword in Smash 4 would result in more similarities between him and Robin. Albeit, Robin would be the "clone" in that case as the King of Darkness has seniority.
No, ganondorf is a clone of robin, sorry my bias is more obvious than sakurai and his shovel. So who do you guys think will be the last characters on the roster?

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Eh? The kind of sword that Robin uses is more like a Kris. A weapon that was poisoned to help quickly kill enemies. Ganondorf does not use Tomes either to cast his spells, he is that powerful of a Warlock.

If anything, Ganondorf's sword would act somewhat similar to Ike's in that it would execute heavy hitting moves.

Zap tackle

Smash Journeyman
I honestly have no idea what Sakurai had in mind when he made Ganondorf into a Falcon clone. It seems so odd and unfitting...the only similarity the two seem to share is their model in Melee. Though that's to be expected when Ganondorf was to be set as a clone in that game.

It's unacceptable to have him return as a clone in Brawl, and I still do remember the disappointment many fans had when Sakurai *cruelly I must add* revealed Ganondorf's sword to be his taunt. Making him a clone in SM4SH too - it truly makes me feel that Sakurai literally has no inspiration for the Demon King. It was okay in Melee when Sakurai threw in some last minute clones, but over a decade later and Ganondorf's still a clone? What in Hyrule is going on here?

It's truly saddening, I must add. I feel for you Ganon fans, especially after seeing how epic he looked in Hyrule Warriors too.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Eh? The kind of sword that Robin uses is more like a Kris. A weapon that was poisoned to help quickly kill enemies. Ganondorf does not use Tomes either to cast his spells, he is that powerful of a Warlock.

If anything, Ganondorf's sword would act somewhat similar to Ike's in that it would execute heavy hitting moves.
This might sound circular, but maybe we should just leave it at: Ganondorf is a semi-clone of Captain Falcon and call it a day.

Gre ninja'd

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1693-2965-0889

I was thinking more of when ganondorf made the ball of magic that you could use the bottle to hit back cause why not, add that and his sword and we might as well call him the king of tacticians, and do any if you find Impa likely? I know one monkey on the boards wants her, but what about everyone else?

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I was thinking more of when ganondorf made the ball of magic that you could use the bottle to hit back cause why not, add that and his sword and we might as well call him the king of tacticians, and do any if you find Impa likely? I know one monkey on the boards wants her, but what about everyone else?
His powerful magic for stunning and ranged attacks. His sword for up close and powerful attacks, that sounds pretty nice.

Morbi

Scavenger
I also crave the deadman's volley.

So Bowser can get updated
Pit can get updated
But not Ganondorf?!
Ganondorf is too prominent to receive an update; but seriously, Sakurai is making this game for me just in case it was not apparent. Why do you think Dark Pit is (presumably) on the roster. Sakurai came up to me and asked, "what changes do you, Morbid, want from Ganondorf?" To which I responded, "add some darkness effects to his smash attacks and call it a day. No sword, please."

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Pit can get updated
But not Ganondorf?!
I think that's what bothers me the most. Bowser was updated to look and move more like his mainline Mario game counterpart. Pit was given moves from his most recent game. DK even got the classic roll attack from DKC1. But Ganondorf, who arguably should get an overhaul more than anyone else doesn't?

Gre ninja'd

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1693-2965-0889
His powerful magic for stunning and ranged attacks. His sword for up close and powerful attacks, that sounds pretty nice.
I'd rather have that than falcondorf, but I don't think that would bode well for Isaac, even if he doesn't have the greatest chances already

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
I think that's what bothers me the most. Bowser was updated to look and move more like his mainline Mario game counterpart. Pit was given moves from his most recent game. DK even got the classic roll attack from DKC1. But Ganondorf, who arguably should get an overhaul more than anyone else doesn't?
The best part is, he was the ONLY character that really needed a new move set.

Zap tackle

Smash Journeyman
Pit can get updated
But not Ganondorf?!
Bowser really needed that update tbh. His bulkiness and sluggish movements in the past Smash games truly was a disgrace to the Koopa King.

On the other hand, I really don't see a reason as to why Pit should be updated. So many other characters (including Ganondorf) needed moveset revamps. I wonder where Sakurai got all that inspiration for Pit....oh wait. I'm going to bet Sakurai is still in Kid Icarus: Uprising mode. It's a fine game by its own merits, but tbh - the overindulgence of KI content really is starting show.

Additionally, Pit had a really great and inspired moveset to start off with from Brawl.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
To be fair, the move-set is subject to change. I do believe that we are being a little hasty operating under the assumption that he has "no changes." Did we see all of his normals in the game-play footage? No. In that event, it is not objectively true as of current. Even if we did see all of his attacks return, I would defer to my first point, the game-play footage is not necessarily what we are going to get in the final build.

Gre ninja'd

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1693-2965-0889
The best part is, he was the ONLY character that really needed a new move set.
I'm guessing that you forgot our top tier friend from brawl. And another sword and magic user would take Isaac out if the equation, we need a real Mage now, not a sword and magic guy, we need a real Mage, and don't count zelda, I want a Mage that is actually good.

Last edited:

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman
What compromises would you be willing to accept in order to cram stuff into the game?

Ex.
Dixie as Diddy Alt.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Bowser really needed that update tbh. His bulkiness and sluggish movements in the past Smash games truly was a disgrace to the Koopa King.

On the other hand, I really don't see a reason as to why Pit should be updated. So many other characters (including Ganondorf) needed moveset revamps. I wonder where Sakurai got all that inspiration for Pit....oh wait. I'm going to bet Sakurai is still in Kid Icarus: Uprising mode. It's a fine game by its own merits, but tbh - the overindulgence of KI content really is starting show.

Additionally, Pit had a really great and inspired moveset to start off with from Brawl.
I can understand putting Uprising content in, but JHC, there's a limit. The series has more enemies in Smash Run than even Mario. While there's lots of stuff we don't know about yet, the franchises are so lopsided in terms of overall representation now that's it's just ridiculous. I still haven't forgotten Pit being shown in the initial trailer, and Yoshi making his debut almost a year later.

I can agree that Bowser needed a revamp as well. When you picked Bowser in Melee, the game just laughed. I appreciate his overhaul, but is it really too much to ask to fix his voice as well?

Speaking of Bowser and Yoshi, I find it ridiculous that the apparent reason for holding off on showing Yoshi was because he's more inline with his mainstream self, yet Bowser was shown in the very first trailer with even greater changes.

Last edited:

Weeman

Smash Crusader
We're getting Lucifer the great Morning Star as the Shin Megami Tensei rep/ ATLUS rep.
Along with Hades so that we get the 666 dynamic duo.
They're both Captain Falcon clones.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
To be fair, the move-set is subject to change. I do believe that we are being a little hasty operating under the assumption that he has "no changes." Did we see all of his normals in the game-play footage? No. In that event, it is not objectively true as of current. Even if we did see all of his attacks return, I would defer to my first point, the game-play footage is not necessarily what we are going to get in the final build.
Havent we only seen him in his idle stance inside an off-screen bubble? That doesnt really say much.

IMO, Ganondorf just needs a little more luigification and hes fine. Change a few specials, like his up b for some levitation for example, get rid of that god awful u tilt and hes fine. He just needs to move away from some of those contortionist/flexible moves that Falcon uses and hes good.

Morbi

Scavenger
What compromises would you be willing to accept in order to cram stuff into the game?

Ex.
Dixie as Diddy Alt.
Ganondorf with is old move-set.
Wolf as a clone of Fox, for real this time.
Mewtwo's omission... once again.

Honestly, I would be willing to compromise anything for more content.

Gre ninja'd

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1693-2965-0889
Cutting Little Mac, Rosalina and Luma, Duck Hunt Dog, Bowser Jr., Dr. Mario, Dark Pit, Mega Man, Pac Man, Wii Fit Trainer, and Greninja for the Ice Climbers to return.
Do not cut megaman and greninja. Absolutely not. Not my fav pokemon and my childhood hero. Never. Cut mario, luigi, peach, bowser, link, the rest of the original 12 and rob. Take them instead. Please understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom