• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark welford

Smash Ace
Well you know considering they were the first to be shown in Brawl, the Melee opening, the SSB4 trailer (when going into the 3DS) , and are the ones in the Mega Man trailer, I would consider them to be the main characters of Smash Bros.

Sonic should never be at that level in the smash universe.

He's a guest! Guests should only get one character.

I'd like to retract that statement, since I miscalculated.
well I guess by now you do not know how sakurai thinks or works he does not care about all that

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
well it would not be a stretch to say that sonic ... has more popularity than ... pokemon
Not just a stretch, it would be wrong. I'm going to quote myself.

Me too, it is a shame when Sales dictate the system eh?

If that is not enough, here is a list of other things Pokemon has going for it:
-Easy translation into smash fighters
-Huge marketing capabilities (to draw in more fans, as well as by Game Freak, seen to get Smash fans into Pokemon)
-Vast Empire (Manga, TV, Movies, Trading Cards, Figures, Apps, Clothing, Merchandise beyond compare)
-800+ extremely diverse characters
-20 Years of history
-Worldwide Popularity
-Many types of characters it could represent beyond the basic Pokemon (trainers, rangers, breeders, coordinators, etc)
-Much in the main games to represent (abilities, items, weather and battlefield, double/triple/horde batles, typing, gender, contests, sports competitions, happiness, personality, trading, evolution-all different ways- etc)
-Multitude of types of games to choose from (Main RPG, Ranger, Mystery Dungeon, Snap, Pinball, Trozei, Puzzle League, Coliseum, ... the list is endless)

Sales are not the only factor. Popularity, Size, History, Impact, Relevance, Recency, Diversity, Adaptability, Growth.
Pokemon is unlike ANY other video game franchise, because it is far more than a video game franchise- it is studied on global economic trends as a phenomenon which is still not fully understood on a consumer trend and has not been replicated to this day.

How many reps does it deserve? Well, a good number. It is certainly on a scale to be evaluated separately from all other franchises as it is in a category all its own. A Pokemon added will appeal to a huge audience, regardless of which it is- an audience likely bigger than another given character added. I would not be surprised if it got more than six representatives, not surprised in the slightest, and it would be more than warranted, it would be earned.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
your just being biased I see right through it
I absolutely have a bias towards Pokemon, no doubt about it.
That does not mean that it is not more popular than Sonic.

But given that I've read more than one of your posts, have seen the lack of care in your responses, and am anticipating not even a shred that you will attempt to back up your argument.

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
I'm not the only one who thinks we are in dire need of villains right? Bowser is really the only villain in the game so far (dedede is always that evil). Even with meta, wario, and Ganon, that only makes five villains. I think it's too few for sure

mark welford

Smash Ace
I absolutely have a bias towards Pokemon, no doubt about it.
That does not mean that it is not more popular than Sonic.

But given that I've read more than one of your posts, have seen the lack of care in your responses, and am anticipating not even a shred that you will attempt to back up your argument.
way more people know who sonic is and look at yourself your a grown man in a pokemon costume

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
way more people know who sonic is and look at yourself your a grown man in a pokemon costume
Pikachu or Sonic?
Eh, not entirely.
And knowledge of the franchise mascot alone does not in the slightest bit dictate which is more popular.
In fact awareness alone does not equate to popularity at all. Hitler is infamous, very well known. I would not say he is popular in 2014.

Yep, grown man in a Pokemon costume *avatar*. I've got the most AMAZING halloween story from it too. Any fan that wants to ask me about it needs to some time, because it is actually unbelievable.

I'm not the only one who thinks we are in dire need of villains right? Bowser is really the only villain in the game so far (dedede is always that evil). Even with meta, wario, and Ganon, that only makes five villains. I think it's too few for sure
Nope; you have seen the public statements for a 'villains trailer,' no? They are wanted. They are needed.
It is honestly almost making me believe in these boss battles as characters.

Last edited:

mark welford

Smash Ace
no you are not we have more females than villains where is wario, ganondorf and wolf

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
Yea sonic is a name everyone knows. I can show my family a picture of sonic and they'll say "that's sonic the hedgehog!"
Pikachu or Sonic?
Eh, not entirely.
And knowledge of the franchise mascot alone does not in the slightest bit dictate which is more popular.
In fact awareness alone does not equate to popularity at all. Hitler is infamous, very well known. I would not say he is popular in 2014.

Yep, grown man in a Pokemon costume *avatar*. I've got the most AMAZING halloween story from it too. Any fan that wants to ask me about it needs to some time, because it is actually unbelievable.
Sonic is definitely on another level. Everyone from kids to elderly know sonic the hedgehog. Pokemon games may sell more, rate higher, etc. but sonic the character is extremely popular. That said, this is entirely irrelevant and we should be talking about how smash 4 is villain malnutritioned

mark welford

Smash Ace
Yea sonic is a name everyone knows. I can show my family a picture of sonic and they'll say "that's sonic the hedgehog!"

Sonic is definitely on another level. Everyone from kids to elderly know sonic the hedgehog. Pokemon games may sell more, rate higher, etc. but sonic the character is extremely popular. That said, this is entirely irrelevant and we should be talking about how smash 4 is villain malnutritioned
thank you you sir are right and I call wolf's name at night and get no answer and I cry

DarrylTrainer

Smash Apprentice

Pikachu is a way more recognizable character than Sonic. Everyone I know (including elders and toddlers) know who Pikachu is. Meanwhile, I'll be wearing a Sonic or a Link shirt and they say the have no clue who they are. So many times, that has happened. Of course, I look at them like they're stupid because they're extremely popular characters, but not more than Pikachu. The only one more recognizable is Mario, bias or not.

mark welford

Smash Ace
Pikachu is a way more recognizable character than Sonic. Everyone I know (including elders and toddlers) know who Pikachu is. Meanwhile, I'll be wearing a Sonic or a Link shirt and they say the have no clue who they are. So many times, that has happened. Of course, I look at them like they're stupid because they're extremely popular characters, but not more than Pikachu. The only one more recognizable is Mario, bias or not.
all I have to say is age comes with recognition I can show my grandma a picture of sonic she'll know who he is

Hot Uncle Sparky

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4356-0645-2703
Even though I didn't want Takamaru, this still hurts me... I wanted Pipe Burst to be the real deal; playable bosses!

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Looks like it.

I still have a theory at least one AT will start as an AT and then upgrade during the game, just to be that much more surprising.
My jaw would drop if something that extravagant happened. It would be an entrance to remember, that's for sure.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I honestly didn't have much of an interest in Takamaru. I never played the game nor do I really like the inclusion of region exclusive characters. I think he's getting a US VC release though, but anyway I'm sorry to all those who really supported him.

Now I'm feeling a little more confident about Mach Rider! *crosses fingers*

mark welford

Smash Ace
Warning Received
this might be off topic but I just noticed that the number font on the villager's shirt is kinda in bulls font.
tell them d.rose we want wolf

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
The only newcomers left that I'm expecting are Shulk and a Rhythm Heaven character, so disconfirmations like this are a lot less painful to go through since I'm expecting it.
I don't think I'll ever be ready for a King K. Rool disconfirmation though

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Looks like it.

I still have a theory at least one AT will start as an AT and then upgrade during the game, just to be that much more surprising.
That probably wouldn't happen. Why waste the development time on two separate positions for one character when you can just make him playable? That doesn't make much sense to me.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112

Now the world's smallest violin solo for the most popular choice for a retro newcomer.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
That probably wouldn't happen. Why waste the development time on two separate positions for one character when you can just make him playable? That doesn't make much sense to me.
because

My jaw would drop if something that extravagant happened. It would be an entrance to remember, that's for sure.
Shock value.
I think once promoted AT becomes playable, it would be replaced with a different character as its functioning AT.

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Man....Takamaru was one of the bigger wanted characters and he was just deconfirmed that quickly....another one bites the dust.

I'm scared for my Bandana Dee.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Man, if this ever happened to K. Rool, I don't know what I'd do. :(
Same for Bandana Dee for me. You might think his support is small, but he is the 4th most talked about newcomer on the boards. Behind Ridley, Shulk, and your King.

It makes me scared.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
because

Shock value.
I think once promoted AT becomes playable, it would be replaced with a different character as its functioning AT.
...but why? What character is so worth the shock value to waste valuable development time to do that? What makes Takamaru so special that they would do that? This isn't Sonic levels of popularity. This is a retro character that most people don't even know about if Miiverse is any indication.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I am unsure- the main page has been strange all day the past few days.
Suddenly now the characters, who were already all shrunken down to be tiny sizes each, now have an entirely different color and the 'warning' sign in bold for new characters.

Maybe they really did just reveal him poorly.
...but why? What character is so worth the shock value to waste valuable development time to do that? What makes Takamaru so special that they would do that? This isn't Sonic levels of popularity. This is a retro character that most people don't even know about if Miiverse is any indication.
I never said for Takamaru.

And it would not be wasting development time if the character were then taken over by another AT *as if it were a skin, which for certain other characters could just be a model rip*

domokl

Smash Lord
Brace yourself for disconfirmation week guys. just like stage week it will be a ride.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
I'm a bit worried about Duck Hunt Dog now. Even though he's on the lower end of my requested characters list, his deconfirmation would still be big let down for me. My body would be ready, but my mind would be shattered. He just makes 45 flavors of sense as a retro addition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom