• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slushi Simcabi

Smash Cadet
I know a lot of people are hoping for Ridley and K Rool to make it into the final roster. However, with Gamexplain hearing about a Kremlin SR boss and with my roster predictions lining up with the trophy theory, I am starting to feel as if Ridley is going to make it while K Rool will simply be a boss.

However, Ridley evolved from boss to playable so perhaps there is hope for him after all!

Anyone else share my sentiment?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I know a lot of people are hoping for Ridley and K Rool to make it into the final roster. However, with Gamexplain hearing about a Kremlin SR boss and with my roster predictions lining up with the trophy theory, I am starting to feel as if Ridley is going to make it while K Rool will simply be a boss.

However, Ridley evolved from boss to playable so perhaps there is hope for him after all!

At the moment, pretty much every enemy in Smash Run is generic, so I wouldn't worry too much about King K. Rool right now.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Wow a few people mentioned Lip. If she were to get confirmed I'd go nuts, especially since I thought her Stick deconfirmed her. And that made me realize that she's missing in my signature.

Honestly though, I always thought if we did get a retro it be Duck Hunt Dog or Lip. Hopefully we'll see soon.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I think Sakurai made it clear that Pacman is our Historical rep for this entry (wherein the past it was ROB and Game and Watch). This is evident in the references to his play style, but cemented in the parallels drawn between him and G&W versus DK and Mario, down to the year born.

I think our 'retro' rebirth, a la Pit and Ice Climbers, who is just a character who is fun for Nintendo, is still going to be revealed. I say, as it is always fun, it will be Mach Rider, Lip, or Duck Hunt dog. I never count a character out, so I am still ready for it to be the curveball of Balloon Fighter.

Or it could someone have never heard of. Maybe Sukapon indeed. If Rayman actually was in development and then scrapped for Ubisoft bias, I could see them continuing him on through/into Sukapon.

Do you like anything, or do you just go around to rain disdain and aggression on others' creativity and opinions?
It is fine to have your own points of view, but you demand to be pleased and swayed by others yet only retort that you find arguments unconvincing or boring without any citation or actual development into the discussion further.

Who would you like to see added to the game?
Frankly, if we have a retro rep, Lip. People don't count her, but I think she's perfectly valid. She's the mascot of Panel de Pon, er, was, but hasn't appeared in forever in the franchise itself. Panel de Pon also hasn't gotten a game in a while and Lip would be a very unique and interesting character.

As for Duck Hunt Dog... eh, meh. I never found him all that interesting.

I keep hearing this, but its the stupidest thing ever. They know Kraid, who only appeared in two Metroid games, but not who King K. Rool is? Either way, all the Smash Run enemies and minibosses are generic enemies. Even "Kraid" is probably just Mini Kraid. No, there's literally no reason to think that this enemy is K. Rool, when there's a plethora of large Kremling enemies they can use, such as Krusha, Klump, Klubba, Kudgel, Kludge... the list goes on, and on, and on.

My guess would be Krusha or Klump. Which frankly helps K. Rool even more, because so far we just had one Kremling enemy.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Wow a few people mentioned Lip. If she were to get confirmed I'd go nuts, especially since I thought her Stick deconfirmed her. And that made me realize that she's missing in my signature.

Honestly though, I always thought if we did get a retro it be Duck Hunt Dog or Lip. Hopefully we'll see soon.
I've never followed this logic; why would her stick deconfirm her? We have items which replicate character moves all the time.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
I've never followed this logic; why would her stick deconfirm her? We have items which replicate character moves all the time.
Well because it's her only weapon, and it's literally called "Lip's Stick" so it'd be strange for her not to be the only one to have it in the game, unless she can drop it for some reason. At least that's what I think.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
So, with Takamaru dead, I've been thinking about retro characters.

Personally, I didn't really think Takamaru would get in, and I didn't have a retro character on my roster. But now when I look at it further, I don't know what to think.

As I said in the Takamaru support thread, and today's Pic of the Day, I think there are too many recent characters that simply outweigh any potential retroes. The most popular characters are all ones more modern games (Ridley, Mewtwo, K. Rool, Shulk, etc.). Takamaru was the only one with a decent amount of popularity, and everyone else just has their little group of people that support them.

Then again, the retroes that we got in Melee and Brawl didn't have that many people supporting them, did they. I don't know this for a fact, as I wasn't here in the pre-Brawl days, but I doubt that R.O.B. had a huge fanbase. Ice Climbers? Mr. Game & Watch?
The only one I would think had a decent amount of supporters would be Pit. Everyone else was a character that nobody really expected, nor wanted at the time being.

If Sakurai does get in the big names, and still manages to squeeze in a retro character, I'd be fine with it.

I'd think that it would be someone we all know, and have considered (not too obscure), but not someone we really, genuinely thought had a decent chance.
My guesses would be Mike Jones, or someone from an NES one-off (Duck hunt Dog, Excitebiker, Mach Rider, etc.)
Or he could go the Mr. Game & Watch/R.O.B. route, and choose someone on the more WTF side, like Diskun.

EDIT: I completely forgot about Lip. I thought she was pretty much dead because of the stick, but then again, that is exactly something Sakurai would do to surprise us.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Exactly. Other people commented on how Kirby having the Garbage Block disconfirms her, but that doesn't do anything either. Its just a reference to Panel de Pon, doesn't disconfirm her at all.

Staarih

Smash Master
Takamaru was my go-to retro choice, but with that not happening, I'm opening up more to Lip. I appreciate her fanbase but never personally got into her (and I always thought many things "disconfimed" her, like Lip's Stick being an item and Kirby still having the pink puzzle block)... now though, I feel like she'd be a cool retro rep. And another female, of course, which is something Sakurai is really focusing on this time.

Duck Hunt Dog would work for both a wtf-character and a retro rep though, wouldn't mind that. Actually, after Takamaru, I'm suddenly more open with any retro option really, even the likes of Mach Rider, which I never really thought could work in Smash. We'll see!

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
Is it wrong to be a little more excited for Mach Rider? Out of all the retro reps, he was was always my favorite.

Slushi Simcabi

Smash Cadet
Frankly, if we have a retro rep, Lip. People don't count her, but I think she's perfectly valid. She's the mascot of Panel de Pon, er, was, but hasn't appeared in forever in the franchise itself. Panel de Pon also hasn't gotten a game in a while and Lip would be a very unique and interesting character.

As for Duck Hunt Dog... eh, meh. I never found him all that interesting.

I keep hearing this, but its the stupidest thing ever. They know Kraid, who only appeared in two Metroid games, but not who King K. Rool is? Either way, all the Smash Run enemies and minibosses are generic enemies. Even "Kraid" is probably just Mini Kraid. No, there's literally no reason to think that this enemy is K. Rool, when there's a plethora of large Kremling enemies they can use, such as Krusha, Klump, Klubba, Kudgel, Kludge... the list goes on, and on, and on.

My guess would be Krusha or Klump. Which frankly helps K. Rool even more, because so far we just had one Kremling enemy.
That was a little rude.
It's not stupid.

By definition if there is a Kremlin boss there, Rool is a candidate. Along with everyone you mentioned, but still definitely a candidate.

If there is a Kremlin Boss then as the king of Kremlins Rool would technically be the ultimate Kremlin boss. That's just my take anyway.

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Who's ready for disconfirmation week?

My money's on Krystal getting the shiv.
I'm putting my money on someone (anyone) being shown as a trophy.
Just a trophy. One of the most lackluster ways to deconfirm. With other roles in the game, like an assist trophy, you could say "It's ok, at least _______ is an assist and is in the game!"

But when it's just a trophy, it's on the same level of importance as Toadette.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
We have?

Other than Pokemon Trainer and Pokeballs I mean?
We have more basic ones, such as the blaster, which is the same item that Fox, Falco, and Wolf use, or the Home Run Bat, which Ness uses. It could be argued these are different properties or are from different games as representation, but I think if they are identical and function in the same capacity, even visually, that is a weak argument.

Again, though not identical, we have items like the parasol, which gives you the Peach's recovery, and we have a new bomb which mimicks huge aspects of Olimar's final smash.

Then we have items such as the Screwball, which imbues players with Samus' up B, just flat out.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826

I don't understand why you would think Bandana Dee is "uninteresting", but I believe he has by far a more interesting moveset potential than Toad and Chrom combined. Whatever though....I'm not mad....
Really?

I always saw Bandana Dee as a character whose moveset wrote itself. I think you're underplaying his potential.

Granted he probably won't be in, but moveset potential isn't holding him back at all IMO.
Literally every time I see somebody bring up an idea, all I hear is "He can use a spear". That tells me nothing. You can use a spear to stab just like a sword, and Bandana Dee's body type doesn't really lend itself to taking advantage of the range a spear can give you, in my humble opinion.

A moveset that makes itself =/= a fun and interesting one. If all he does is stab and throw spears, it doesn't sound all that exciting. Now, if an actual playstyle were proposed, such as a zoning character (because of throwing spears), then we're actually discussing something that could be interesting. (Also, as @ N3ON N3ON said, I really do think people are overstating his importance to Kirby, and I myself don't see why he should be included over a lot of other choices).

As I've said in general before, if Bandana Dee gets revealed and looks cool, then I'd be convinced. But the ideas I've seen so far don't paint an interesting enough picture, at least for me. The idea is to convince everybody "Hey, you're really gonna want to play as this character". So far, every character has pretty much struck that chord with people. The only one MIGHT be Palutena, and even then we haven't seen her actually in gameplay. The movesets I've seen for Bandana Dee don't really get me excited, but then again, none of us are Sakurai here. I don't expect people to be either.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
@ Mega Bidoof Mega Bidoof
Lol at K. Rool being "modern". I think he's likely and all, and I like him even more than the next guy, just don't lump him in with "modern" characters. Takamaru is more modern than K. Rool given his Nintendo Land minigame.

As for other retro options, I personally only see Mach Rider as a likely candidate. Lip's Stick killed Lip for me, and Muddy Mole is unfortunately very obscure and I don't feel like he'll happen this time.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
@ Mega Bidoof Mega Bidoof
Lol at K. Rool being "modern". I think he's likely and all, and I like him even more than the next guy, just don't lump him in with "modern" characters. Takamaru is more modern than K. Rool given his Nintendo Land minigame.
I was thinking about him as I was writing that post.
The only reason I clumped him with the "modern" characters, was because he is from a modern series. And typically Smash retro characters haven't been part of a franchise already represented in Smash.

As for other retro options, I personally only see Mach Rider as a likely candidate. Lip's Stick killed Lip for me, and Muddy Mole is unfortunately very obscure and I don't feel like he'll happen this time.
Why does everyone go to Mach Rider?
I always thought ExciteBiker was more iconic. And wasn't ExiteBiker considered for Melee before Sakurai decided on Ice Climbers?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Is it wrong to be a little more excited for Mach Rider? Out of all the retro reps, he was was always my favorite.
As my previous signature indicated, I am totally down for Mach Rider. Though considering his similarities to Captain Falcon (F-Zero was inspired by his game after all) They'd have to be creative like they were with Pit if they include him.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I still don't think there's going to be a retro at all.

I think Little Mac is actually the most "retro" we're going to get. Pac-Man also fits in that ideology. Yes, I understand Mac got a new game on the Wii, but his entire trailer was pretty much based on the arcade. That's why there's a shot of it almost right away if you ask me.

Pac-Man didn't get his modern design in Smash, but instead got his Pac-Man World design, which is older and arguably closer to the classic design. I think those two are the retro characters, if we even got a "retro" character at all.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Why does everyone go to Mach Rider?
I always thought ExciteBiker was more iconic. And wasn't ExiteBiker considered for Melee before Sakurai decided on Ice Climbers?
Excitebiker doesn't really have the moveset potential that Mach can plausibly have.
Mach Rider is basically Excitebiker, but better.

And Sakurai has considered Exctiebiker, but also Mach Rider, who happened to be his favorite idea for Melee.

And PS: Mach Rider can be COMPLETELY different from Falcon.

Last edited:

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
Literally every time I see somebody bring up an idea, all I hear is "He can use a spear". That tells me nothing. You can use a spear to stab just like a sword, and Bandana Dee's body type doesn't really lend itself to taking advantage of the range a spear can give you, in my humble opinion.

A moveset that makes itself =/= a fun and interesting one. If all he does is stab and throw spears, it doesn't sound all that exciting. Now, if an actual playstyle were proposed, such as a zoning character (because of throwing spears), then we're actually discussing something that could be interesting. (Also, as @ N3ON N3ON said, I really do think people are overstating his importance to Kirby, and I myself don't see why he should be included over a lot of other choices).

As I've said in general before, if Bandana Dee gets revealed and looks cool, then I'd be convinced. But the ideas I've seen so far don't paint an interesting enough picture, at least for me. The idea is to convince everybody "Hey, you're really gonna want to play as this character". So far, every character has pretty much struck that chord with people. The only one MIGHT be Palutena, and even then we haven't seen her actually in gameplay. The movesets I've seen for Bandana Dee don't really get me excited, but then again, none of us are Sakurai here. I don't expect people to be either.
So, you don't think Bandana Dee can be interesting?

Mii's, Pac-Man, Little Mac and Rosalina all say hello.

I hate this argument that Bandana Dee "having a spear" doesn't make him interesting. The same people who say a spear character is boring want Takamaru so that we can have a samurai. That's an even worse reason to have a character. Plus, every single time we've talked about a character's potential moveset, Sakurai has shown us something better than we could ever dream.

So, in short, don't knock it 'til you try it.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Mach Rider could still happen.. but I'm still barely holding to Muddy Mole at this point. After all, Miyamoto did create him...

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
So is it Mach Rider VS Lip for the Retro Spot now?
I don't think Lip's Stick disconfirms her really
Which of these two ladies will come out on top?

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I don't necessarily agree that Bandana Dee is boring per se, but people can have opinions.
I cringe every time I see people say that Chorus Kids have no potential. But I've learned to deal with it.

Bandana Dee's moveset is pretty obvious; he uses his spear, he can throw it, fly with it, etc. We don't have a spear user in Smash, but honestly Dee's potential is pretty run of the mill. He isn't boring to me, just pretty straightforward and normal in a cast of zany characters with completely unique movesets. And that's not really a bad thing, he just doesn't have anything to really stick out.

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
So is it Mach Rider VS Lip for the Retro Spot now?
I don't think Lip's Stick disconfirms her really
Which of these two ladies will come out on top?
I personally think Duck Hunt Dog is in the competition for the spot with Mach Rider and maybe Excite biker because he sold more I think than Mach Rider did.

Out of Japan-Only retros, Lip is ahead of Ayumi or Donbe and Hikari that's for sure.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
If Mach Rider gets in over Excite Biker, I just hope he gets a White and Orange color to look like Excite Biker.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
So, you don't think Bandana Dee can be interesting?

Mii's, Pac-Man, Little Mac and Rosalina all say hello.

I hate this argument that Bandana Dee "having a spear" doesn't make him interesting. The same people who say a spear character is boring want Takamaru so that we can have a samurai. That's an even worse reason to have a character. Plus, every single time we've talked about a character's potential moveset, Sakurai has shown us something better than we could ever dream.

So, in short, don't knock it 'til you try it.
That's literally exactly what I already said in my own post. If I see him actually playable in the game and he's interesting, then I'll be okay with him. But Spear user doesn't really scream "interesting" to me on it's own.

That's my issue. People just say "he has a spear" and leave it at that. That's hardly enough for people like me to be on board. I didn't even care about Takamaru.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom