• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
There is nothing wrong with generalizing if it's what happens most of the time, and it's mostly human nature to go with the flow. It's the only reason the situation with this character turned out the way it did, from having almost NO support, to having a busting topic.
My problem with you right now is thinking that the only reason people support these characters is because they just accept whatever Sakurai throws at them and that they're only following.

Impossible to to actually like the idea of these characters after thinking about their possibility. Damn, man, all those people at the Greninja and WFT boards MUST be boarding a bandwagon. Hell, did anyone think of Captain Falcon and Ice Climbers before? Nope, anyone who likes them will just accept anything. What about Snake? NO ONE thought of him!

Last edited:

Grimnir

Smash Apprentice
I've seen it claimed a couple of times now that Villager was a heavily fan requested character (and one of the few who actually made it this time around). Now, I didn't hang around Smashboards much in the pre-Brawl days, but on the official Nintendo forums and Gamefaqs, there were essentially two camps regarding Animal Crossing characters: one that wanted Tom Nook and one that considered the idea of AC characters fighting to be blasphemy. And then there was a much smaller K.K. Slider support base.

It wasn't until after Smashville was shown which pretty much disconfirmed Tom Nook and K.K. Slider that "Villager" (going by many different fan names) started to get some attention. Even though he/she was also shown as a background character, the logic was that since there were several of them in the background, it wouldn't be inconceivable that one could still be playable.

So was Villager really a popular request on Smashboards, or is it just another example of revisionism?

D

Deleted member

What are you talking about? I'd say that the only character that exceeds Marshal in fever is the monkey.
So Marshal shows up in the Rhythm Test and Night Walk and suddenly he's the most prominent character other than the monkeys?
Not buying it.

And thanks for hating my ideas <3
I'm not hating your ideas, I'm hating the bull**** behind the logic.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Villager was one of those "yeah he should be in, but it probably won't happen," kind of characters. Kind of like what I fear Ridley might become.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
So Marshal shows up in the Rhythm Test and Night Walk and suddenly he's the most prominent character other than the monkeys?
Not buying it.

I'm not hating your ideas, I'm hating the bull**** behind the logic.
He's also in many of the results for the fever stages. not so much the first ones, but later on he comes up in a lot of em, if I recall.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Villager was at one time a popular request for Brawl (though he wasn't usually called Villager), but Sakurai successfully put an end to that.

Tom Nook had popularity as well, but I believe Villager was the more popular choice. Though most who supported an AC character supported them for the sake of being an AC character, not that character in particular, so I remember people not caring if we either got Villager or Nook.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I believe there might've been some requests for the "player character", but I mostly saw Tom Nook.

Last edited:

Niala

Smash Ace
Villager was one of those "yeah he should be in, but it probably won't happen," kind of characters. Kind of like what I fear Ridley might become.
Why fear that scenario? It clearly worked out for Villager, perhaps in the next installment it will work out for Ridley. Embrace the unlikelihood like a shiny child and smother it with your love 'til it's fate is abreast with that of the Villager's.

D

Deleted member

He's also in many of the results for the fever stages. not so much the first ones, but later on he comes up in a lot of em, if I recall.
So far, I've looked at all of the Superb screens. He's not in a single one outside Remix 10.
Need to check the OK screens and the Try Again screens.

queenrosetta

Smash Apprentice
So far, I've looked at all of the Superb screens. He's not in a single one outside Remix 10.
He's like the leader of the game along with the nerdy one and the girl. He kinda runs the show. I just played it all the way through.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
ah, well I played remix ten soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many times, it might have appeared to me he was in more.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
That's not proof of anything except herd mentality.
Well think of it this way.
Us Chorus Kid fans never considered them a possibility before the leak. They weren't even a thought in my mind: a WTF character, as you will.

But when the leak came out, people started to think about how they would play, and really fell in love with the idea of a rhythm based trio. Their facial expressions and overall wackiness and potential are their selling points, and I love them for that, along with many other supporters.

And some people genuinely like Rhythm Heaven. It's a really fun and awesome series, and you would never know that unless you tried it out for yourself. Pick it up at a nearby GameStop, it's relatively cheap.

So @ Hippopotasauce Hippopotasauce , @ Spinosaurus Spinosaurus , @Opossum, @TumblrFamous, @Zzuxon, and a ton of other vocal Chorus Kid supporters can back me up on that. Don't insult a fanbase, man. Chorus Kids are awesome characters and I will love every second of their inclusion.

Just because the leak made me see the light doesn't mean that their likeliness is the reason I support them.
It's because of their potential and the amazing series that they come from.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Us Chorus Kid fans never considered them a possibility before the leak. They weren't even a thought in my mind: a WTF character, as you will.

But when the leak came out, people started to think about how they would play, and really fell in love with the idea of a rhythm based trio. Their facial expressions and overall wackiness and potential are their selling points, and I love them for that, along with many other supporters.

And some people genuinely like Rhythm Heaven. It's a really fun and awesome series, and you would never know that unless you tried it out for yourself. Pick it up at a nearby GameStop, it's relatively cheap.

So @ Hippopotasauce Hippopotasauce , @ Spinosaurus Spinosaurus , @Opossum, @TumblrFamous, @Zzuxon, and a ton of other vocal Chorus Kid supporters can back me up on that. Don't insult a fanbase, man. Chorus Kids are awesome characters and I will love every second of their inclusion.

Just because the leak made me see the light doesn't mean that their likeliness is the reason I support them.
To be honest if I weren't a fan of Rhythm Heaven I probably wouldn't be a fan of them. It's not a character that convinces easily.

epicgordan

Smash Ace
He's like the leader of the game along with the nerdy one and the girl. He kinda runs the show. I just played it all the way through.
Dude! Why is this such a debate? We have Marshall, and we have his two friends; the nerd, and the girl (who is labeled Chorus Girl). Does this mean anything? They ARE the Chorus Kids! They just have updated looks is all! And even if we apply Game & Wario, Sakurai could still go for their Rhythm Heaven Fever appearances.

Also, considering the fact that Game & Wario feature Wario, G&W, and Chorus Kids, could this mean that...they will be grouped in the same franchise category? Well, guess that screws up EbonyWolf--whatever he's called--perfect 47+Random setup he has for both the Wii U and 3DS since now he has to do it all over again, huh? Again, gives Ridley, Mewtwo and a few others a fighting chance, gematsu leak or no.

And that's what I'm going to do; I'm predicting a 50-character roster give or take a slot or two. 52 if we count the Mii Fighters as separate. 54 if each of the Chorus Kids turns out to be a separate fighter. After all, I am also predicting Ridley, Mewtwo, and one retro joke character at least. Maybe it'll be...VIRTUAL BOY!!!

Louie G.

Smash Hero
To be honest if I weren't a fan of Rhythm Heaven I probably wouldn't be a fan of them. It's not a character that convinces easily.
I know.
But them being likely isn't the only reason anyone supports them.

Oh, and PS to everyone here.
Chorus Kids > Marshal any day of the week.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Support for Chorus Men is made up a mix of those who became taken with the idea, whether its the playstyle or the characters themselves (or both), and those that don't hate them but support them mostly because they expect them.

Same as most characters. It's just in this case none of this really started until the second leak.

queenrosetta

Smash Apprentice
Dude! Why is this such a debate? We have Marshall, and we have his two friends; the nerd, and the girl (who is labeled Chorus Girl). Does this mean anything? They ARE the Chorus Kids! They just have updated looks is all! And even if we apply Game & Wario, Sakurai could still go for their Rhythm Heaven Fever appearances.

Also, considering the fact that Game & Wario feature Wario, G&W, and Chorus Kids, could this mean that...they will be grouped in the same franchise category? Well, guess that screws up EbonyWolf--whatever he's called--perfect 47+Random setup he has for both the Wii U and 3DS since now he has to do it all over again, huh? Again, gives Ridley, Mewtwo and a few others a fighting chance, gematsu leak or no.

And that's what I'm going to do; I'm predicting a 50-character roster give or take a slot or two. 52 if we count the Mii Fighters as separate. 54 if each of the Chorus Kids turns out to be a separate fighter. After all, I am also predicting Ridley, Mewtwo, and one retro joke character at least. Maybe it'll be...VIRTUAL BOY!!!
I actually wasn't debating I was just pointing out he was a big part of fever. Might want to chill out

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Support for Chorus Men is made up a mix of those who became taken with the idea, whether its the playstyle or the characters themselves (or both), and those that don't hate them but support them mostly because they expect them.

Same as most characters. It's just none of this really started until the second leak for the Chorus Men.
Again, it's just asinine to say that all of the supporters support Chorus Kids solely because they're probably getting in.
Sure, some people do, but others (such as myself) have really fallen in love with the concept.

D

Deleted member

Well, they convinced me easily. I've never played a rhythm heaven game(but I had heard of them before the leak) but after watching some videos, I think it's really cool and I would love to see the Chorus men in.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Also, considering the fact that Game & Wario feature Wario, G&W, and Chorus Kids, could this mean that...they will be grouped in the same franchise category?
That's what I'm thinking. Likely the Chorus Kids reveal trailer will feature both Wario and G&W, since Rhythm Heave and Warioware have connections to each other (including certain space bunnies) and G&W does appear in both franchises pretty commonly. (ESPECIALLY Warioware)

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Again, it's just asinine to say that all of the supporters support Chorus Kids solely because they're probably getting in.
Sure, some people do, but others (such as myself) have really fallen in love with the concept.
I didn't say all the supporters support them because they're probably getting in. I said the support is a mix of two groups, those that legitimately like some aspect of the character, and those that support them because they expect them.

epicgordan

Smash Ace
I actually wasn't debating I was just pointing out he was a big part of fever. Might want to chill out
I can't chill out! I just can't wait until Monday morning! Heck, I'll probably wake up far earlier than usual just to check out the reveal trailer!

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I didn't say all the supporters support them because they're probably getting in. I said the support is a mix of two groups, those that legitimately like some aspect of the character, and those that support them because they expect them.
I was talking about that sword breaker dude.

And I'm waiting for someone to bring up Marshal again, because I like some healthy debate.

epicgordan

Smash Ace
I was talking about that sword breaker dude.

And I'm waiting for someone to bring up Marshal again, because I like some healthy debate.
Can't you just accept that Marshall IS one of the Chorus Kids? It's like denying that Clark Kent isn't Superman just because he's wearing glasses.

swordbreaker

Smash Journeyman

You have no idea where I'm coming from, I got both of these games when they came out and I still don't feel that Chorus Kids is a good choice. THIS is what I'm talking about, the herd mentality is NOT liking RH, its liking the character Sakurai chose to represent the series and not listening to what most of the fans desired to see. Basically not caring as long as RH gets a rep. It doesn't matter what you say, CK was not vocally desired. Now that they may be in, all these people are coming out of the wood work saying he is a great choice when really he arguably isn't, even for his own series. The issue is that Game and Watch already fills the visual aesthetic that he does, so why not choose the Monkey, or the Girl? But now that we have the bandwagon mindset taking effect, he won't ever know if Monkey, Girl or Wrestler were the better choice.

Last edited:

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Can't you just accept that Marshall IS one of the Chorus Kids? It's like denying that Clark Kent isn't Superman just because he's wearing glasses.
Marshall's design is definitely directly inspired by the Chorus Kids, but there's nothing saying that he or the other two are one. It could easily go either way.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Marshal's one of the Chorus Kids, but what's the point of having one Kid if you can have all three?
The Chorus Kids' original design is definitely the most iconic, not Marshal.
Oh... I don't quite understand why you quoted me then...
I had a good explanation but I completely forgot.

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
You have no idea where I'm coming from, I got both of these games when they came out and I still don't feel that Chorus Kids is a good choice. THIS is what I'm talking about, the herd mentality is NOT liking RH, its liking the character Sakurai chose to represent the series and not listening to what most of the fans desired to see. Basically not caring as long as RH gets a rep. It doesn't matter what you say, CK was not vocally desired. Now that they may be in, all these people are coming out of the wood work saying he is a great choice when really he arguably isn't, even for his own series. The issue is that Game and Watch already fills the visual aesthetic that he does, so why not choose the Monkey, or the Girl? But now that we have the bandwagon mindset taking effect, he won't ever know if Monkey, Girl or Wrestler were the better choice.
You don't know if chorus kids are a great choice or not yet... We have no idea how they'll play. You have every right to dislike him, but arguing about their inclusion is pointless.

Last edited:

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
You have no idea where I'm coming from, I got both of these games when they came out and I still don't feel that Chorus Kids is a good choice. THIS is what I'm talking about, the herd mentality is NOT liking RH, its liking the character Sakurai chose to represent the series and not listening to what most of the fans desired to see. Basically not caring as long as RH gets a rep. It doesn't matter what you say, CK was not vocally desired. Now that they may be in, all these people are coming out of the wood work saying he is a great choice when really he arguably isn't, even for his own series. The issue is that Game and Watch already fills the visual aesthetic that he does, so why not choose the Monkey, or the Girl? But now that we have the bandwagon effect taking effect, he won't ever know if Monkey, Girl or Wrestler were the better choice.
Really none of the Rhythm Heaven characters have a single thing over eachother, which is why it never mattered to me which one got in. I guess with Wrestler you could have some kind of grappling moveset, or with Karate Joe you could make it entirely karate based, but pretty much every other character has the same potential anyways. Doesn't really matter if they were expected or not.

There's a DJ Yellow thread that was made before the Chorus Kids were rumored, would it make it justified to you if it were DJ Yellow that was rumored to be in just because one person had the idea of it?

swordbreaker

Smash Journeyman
You don't know if chorus kids are a great choice or not yet... We have no idea how they'll play. You have every right to dislike him, but arguing about their inclusion is pointless.
Sakurai is already getting chewed out on twitter, most people I know of who supported as specific RH character were not happy with this choice. All that is left are people who would take what they could get out of the series and that's like saying you'll take any character out of Mario, even if Mario doesn't make it.

Really none of the Rhythm Heaven characters have a single thing over eachother, which is why it never mattered to me which one got in.
This is not true at all. The monkey appears almost EVERYWHERE cameo wise that the chorus men do only the monkey got a hat in Mii Plaza, appears in a variety of more games in the series, comes in different colors, has different apperances (like the punk form with sun glasses).

Last edited:

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
Sakurai is already getting chewed out on twitter, most people I know of who supported as specific RH character were not happy with this choice. All that is left are people who would take what they could get out of the series and that's like saying you'll take any character out of Mario, even if Mario doesn't make it.
That doesn't justify calling chorus kids a 'bad choice'. We still know nothing about them.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
@ S swordbreaker
Have you ever stopped to think about that the reason they had no support was because no one in their right mind would have thought that a trio would work prior to the leak?

You know, when duos were still questionable (especially with the concept "taking away" from the Ice Climbers' gimmick)?
Psstt... I support Alph, Brittany Charlie, one of the very few, but yeah your point still stands.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
I've heard thoughts from a lot of people who would like a Rhythm Heaven character but would hate if Wrestler got in, or if it were Karate Joe that got in, or Marshal. There isn't a single character that anyone could really agree on, and in the end it's people being needlessly picky for something they'd be lucky to get in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom