• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Shulk was actually one of the more popular characters before Gematsu. He and Isaac were about the same level, iirc.
But it wasn't till the Gematsu leak that he really got as popular as he is now. Sure, you had requests for him, but not to the point it is now.

Xenorange

Smash Lord
Because sceptile has no merits compared to the rest of the pkmn...except puff, I mean, he was the 2nd place of his generation, also unless we have 7 pkmn reps then he has little chances of beating mewtwo or puff for a spot
Sceptile's pretty popular when you compare him to his other grass starter counterparts. The way I see it his only shot is if Gamefreak and Sakurai feel the need to complete the trio. If they do then I feel his chances are strong.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Plus Chrom had a trifecta to deal with. In terms of fans

His own daughter and Robin are also popular wants not to mention all the OTHER Lords in the franchise, especially Roy.

Chrom isn't my first FE pick by all means but I feel he'd match well with Marth and Ike considering they are both referenced in his game. So having the trio would probably be the best overarcing FE trio in terms of the overall Lord trio you could have, despite the fact others may look more unique or be more so with different weapons. I feel Chrom will be getting quite the unique moveset that alot of people don't see possible right now.

Then again almost everyone thought Rosalina would be a Peach clone and look where we are now

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
Sceptile's pretty popular when you compare him to his other grass starter counterparts. The way I see it his only shot is if Gamefreak and Sakurai feel the need to complete the trio. If they do then I feel his chances are strong.
And all grass starters often have the 2nd or 3rd place compared to the fire starters, I don't think they are gonna add a character just for the sake of completing a trio

swordbreaker

Smash Journeyman
Can everyone stop hating on the Chorus Kids?
They have a lot of fans, people who would actually enjoy playing as unique and fun characters like them.

Go check out the Chorus Kid thread if you need proof of that @ S swordbreaker .
That's not proof of anything except herd mentality.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
That's the thing, if they do, we have no clue that they will. GF has shown that they're not above playing favorites over the others, just look at Charizard as of recent years, so that may not matter to them. Sakurai could care, but from what we've seen, he hasn't picked either Charizard or Greninja because of their typing, instead they were picked because they were either popular/promoted or that Sakurai liked what the character can do. The trio and their typings was not highlighted in his reasoning, so there's little support that the GWF trio theory may matter.

That's not to say that Sceptile wouldn't be a cool candidate, I like the Pokémon and I plan on using him in the remakes, but I do think the GWF trio idea is being used way too much as a crutch to justify his inclusion. It's still basically a fanmade theory at this point, one that we do not know matters in the minds of either Sakurai or GF. So it's not nearly enough to push him to being a frontrunner as much as he has been, particularly if we're talking upwards to 90%.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
the leak is the only reason to expect chorus kids.

Marshal, on the other hand, was a big part of fever, and served as that game's mascot, sorta.

I've been rallying for marshal since before the second part of the leak, so imagine how I feel when someone who is fundementally different from marshal, while still semmingly looking similar to him gets leaked and everyone herds to that one instead of the one that actually makes sense.

not fun.

....and thats why I don't like chorus men.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
Except he was. Shulk's thread had more replies than Chrom's before the leak.
Because even then Chrom was just as much of an accepted thing as he is now, lol.

And I LOVE being called a pessimist when I was curious of a character's previous fanbase. Next thing you know, people will hate me for wanting Mach Rider over Takamaru.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Well, "replies" I'm gonna be honest don't mean that much if you think about it. It just means there was more posts. And that could easily go into other reasoning.
What matters more is their influence, and in my time here I've seen Chrom pop up more than Shulk.

Marshal, on the other hand, was a big part of fever, and served as that game's mascot, sorta.

I've been rallying for marshal since before the second part of the leak, so imagine how I feel when someone who is fundementally different from marshal, while still semmingly looking similar to him gets leaked and everyone herds to that one instead of the one that actually makes sense.

not fun.

The thing that makes me laugh the most about them is that we would've hated them if it wasn't for the leak. We've had a history of hating characters out of left field before like ROB and WFT, even if said fire was brief. But yet somehow we're not only okay with Chorus Men, but actively support them.

I'm more just tired, not angry or annoyed, just tired when it comes to general character and rosters discussions, they've stop being enjoyable for the most part. Sadly this is the direction I was seeing things going for the most part, happened when the final roster for Brawl was released, there was ample outrage over it as they're will be this time around. Some of it going as far as ruining my view on certain characters to the point where I care little if they ever get into the game one way or another at this point.

I guess to be fair, whether any character I wanted got into the roster was never going to deter me from getting game. Even if none of the character in my signature got in period. So I suppose I cannot understand the outrage of people who put so much of themselves into wanting certain characters to be playable. I'm sorry to say this but I find that sometimes the issue is taken far too seriously.
And this is why I cared less about who we got and just went along with it. It saves sanity.

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I'm more just tired, not angry or annoyed, just tired when it comes to general character and rosters discussions, they've stop being enjoyable for the most part. Sadly this is the direction I was seeing things going for the most part, happened when the final roster for Brawl was released, there was ample outrage over it as they're will be this time around. Some of it going as far as ruining my view on certain characters to the point where I care little if they ever get into the game one way or another at this point.

I guess to be fair, whether any character I wanted got into the roster was never going to deter me from getting game. Even if none of the character in my signature got in period. So I suppose I cannot understand the outrage of people who put so much of themselves into wanting certain characters to be playable. I'm sorry to say this but I find that sometimes the issue is taken far too seriously.

Xenorange

Smash Lord
That's the thing, if they do, we have no clue that they will. GF has shown that they're not above playing favorites over the others, just look at Charizard as of recent years, so that may not matter to them. Sakurai could care, but from what we've seen, he hasn't picked either Charizard or Greninja because of their typing, instead they were picked because they were either popular/promoted or that Sakurai liked what the character can do. The trio and their typings was not highlighted in his reasoning, so there's little support that the GWF trio theory may matter.

That's not to say that Sceptile wouldn't be a cool candidate, I like the Pokémon and I plan on using him in the remakes, but I do think the GWF trio idea is being used way too much as a crutch to justify his inclusion. It's still basically a fanmade theory at this point, one that we do not know matters in the minds of either Sakurai or GF. So it's not nearly enough to push him to being a frontrunner as much as he has been, particularly if we're talking upwards to 90%.
You may be right, it just feels wrong to exclude Grass. It feels like something is missing.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Huh? That's not true at all.

All Marshal did was guide you through the tutorial and appeared in the credits.

Chorus Kids had two minigames, with the first one being the first actual minigame after the one that's designed to teach you how to play the game.

It doesn't matter which are more important, but if you're gonna go with that then DEFINITELY the Chorus Kids. Chorus Kids are as much of a mascot to the DS game as Marshal is to Fever.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
That's not a super accurate way of determining general popularity. For one, it's only on here, and for another, a thread can consist of a few hyper devoted supporters who post often or many supporters who only voice their opinion on occasion and everything in between. For a while Little Mac and Palutena didn't have the most sizeable of threads when compared to some other characters, but they were among the highest of popularity.

I'd say Chrom overall is more popular than Shulk, as more people are familiar with both his series and his specific game. Though I'd also say a very large portion of his popularity comes from expectation bleeding into want and people supporting him due to his stellar game, not the character himself. If we had hypothetically gotten a more recent FE with a different, more diverse protagonist, especially a female one - the popularity would definitely have flocked to her from Chrom.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
You may be right, it just feels.... wrong to exclude Grass. It just feels like something is missing.
I don't really see it, I just don't think it's that necessary to make sure everyone is covered.
And besides, if people really want a Grass Starter, there's always Ivysaur.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
the new characters are cool, but besides Mega man, they were mostly supposed to be surprise characters. Even little mac was meant to surprise the japanese audience. I've gotten bored of surprises, and would like someone I liked BEFORE seeing them in smash.

K. Rool is the perfect example, cause he's so popular woldwide, as well as the DKC games getting revived. it even seems he won't be playable at this point.

depressing, really.

that said, I really am enjoying the new characters, but I need one to fill the void in my heart.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
It's hard to gauge popularity based strictly on post numbers. It's heavily dependent of vocal nature of the fanbase and what else that fanbase deals with. Even though I criticize the Ridley thread for being bloated and repetitive, a decent chuck of it's posts result in address detraction to the character themselves.

It can also have a lot to do how a character changes over time. Xenoblade has been getting more attention lately as I've heard about many people playing it that didn't before which does impact a character perspective even in a year, and I don't even know if the leak was the only reason for it.

The Awakening Characters have been extremely difficult to follow between Lucina, Chorm, and Robin that have swapped attention multiple times based on several different factors. So it's not even concrete in all cases over a period of time.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
And this is why I cared less about who we got and just went along with it. It saves sanity.
This. Prior to the game announcement I only really cared about Little Mac, despite wanting many more (like a rhythm heaven rep, heh). Hell, even if Mac didn't get revealed, I'd still look forward to the game. I'm really open minded about the roster, despite not really liking a lot of who got in terms of their characters They're certainly not who I'd pick, but that's why I like the roster.

Being so narrow-minded doesn't help, and I don't like speculation as a result and would really like to avoid it. I just feel like I'm wasting time from that.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Huh? That's not true at all.

All Marshal did was guide you through the tutorial and appeared in the credits.

Chorus Kids had two minigames, with the first one being the first actual minigame after the one that's designed to teach you how to play the game.

It doesn't matter which are more important, but if you're gonna go with that then DEFINITELY the Chorus Kids. Chorus Kids are as much of a mascot to the DS game as Marshal is to Fever.
he also was in most of the results screens for the remix stages if you got great, if I recall.

Also, Marshal was recontented as being a character in the first rhythm heaven, the one for game boy advance. he's also the first character seen in Fever, but on the other hand the chorus kids were the SECOND minigame, not even counting the flick tutorial.

the Japanese game for fever has a connection to the first game, through the credits scene (it has GBA marshal and Wii Marshal in it.). Nostalgia like that is usually considered important, wouldn't you say? I mean I would.

a Chorus kid does appear in fever, but its only a cameo in the munchy monk rhythm game. it doesnt compare to Marshal overall.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
What we're looking at would have passed for a dream roster in the Brawl days. I think we've moved the goal post just a little since then.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
he also was in most of the results screens for the remix stages if you got great, if I recall.

Also, Marshal was recontented as being a character in the first rhythm heaven, the one for game boy advance. he's also the first character seen in Fever, but on the other hand the chorus kids were the SECOND minigame, not even counting the flick tutorial.

the Japanese game for fever has a connection to the first game, through the credits scene (it has GBA marshal and Wii Marshal in it.). Nostalgia like that is usually considered important, wouldn't you say? I mean I would.

a Chorus kid does appear in fever, but its only a cameo in the munchy monk rhythm game. it doesnt compare to Marshal overall.
I think you're putting too much stock into the that little sprite guy from Tengoku for supposedly being Marshal, despite actually appearing in Fever WITH Marshal and cameo'd in Cheer Readers with an updated appearance. I don't think they're the same at all.

The only connection is that Marshal replaced him as the character for Night Walk, which was really the credits in Fever.

Speaking of cameos, Chorus Kids were in Game&Wario and were in the roll call credits of the game as well. The only Rhythm Heaven characters to be in it iirc.

Last edited:

swordbreaker

Smash Journeyman
I think you're putting too much stock into the that little sprite guy from Tengoku for supposedly being Marshal, despite actually appearing in Fever WITH Marshal and cameo'd in Cheer Readers with an updated appearance. I don't think they're the same at all.

The only connection is that Marshal replaced him as the character for Night Walk.

Speaking of cameos, Chorus Kids were in Game&Wario and were in the credit of the game as well. The only Rhythm Heaven characters to be in iirc.
Rhythm Monkey however, exceeds the Chorus Men's appearances (even making it into the Mii Plaza as a hat). There was even support for the monkey on this very board. Monkey also appeared in Game and Wario. It's okay to admit that Sakurai makes mistakes.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481

I like the Chorus Kids more than Marshall, because they would represent all the Rhythm heaven games that involve groups.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Rhythm Monkey however, exceeds the Chorus Men's appearances (even making it into the Mii Plaza as a hat). There was even support for the monkey on this very board. Monkey also appeared in Game and Wario. It's okay to admit that Sakurai makes mistakes.
I'm only going against the idea that Marshal is more important than Chorus Kids, not about him getting in.

As I said, I don't think any RH character would be a mistake, not even Chorus Kids. Don't tell me what to do.

I can fault Sakurai for many different reasons, as I have done before; roster choices is just not one of those reasons.

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077

The only connection is that Marshal replaced him as the character for Night Walk, which was really the credits in Fever.

Speaking of cameos, Chorus Kids were in Game&Wario and were in the roll call credits of the game as well. The only Rhythm Heaven characters to be in it iirc.
Wait, there was an updated version of the guy from the first one in cheer readers? Never knew that.

And the point about then in game and wario is something I remember seeing once, only once before, but still it's a valid point.

I have been bested.

In my eyes Marshal will always be the mascot, but now I see more reason for the chorus men to be included.

I like the Chorus Kids more than Marshall, because they would represent all the Rhythm heaven games that involve groups.
Marshal has a group too...

Oops double posted sorry about that

Last edited by a moderator:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Wait, there was an updated version of the guy from the first one in cheer readers? Never knew that.
Yeah, it's in Remix 7. Go check a perfect play of it on Youtube if you want to see it.

It's pretty brief though.

swordbreaker

Smash Journeyman
I'm only going against the idea that Marshal is more important than Chorus Kids, not about him getting in.

As I said, I don't think any RH character would be a mistake, not even Chorus Kids. Don't tell me what to do.
We are not arguing about RH characters, we are arguing about the Chorus Kids. Read the post, did I tell you to do anything? I told you that it was okay to admit something. Also the issue is that Sakurai did not choose a RH character that reflected what was wanted, and that bandwagoners make it hard to judge if something was a good choice. Kind of like being in a board meeting with a bunch of yes-men, or the emperor's new clothes.

D

Deleted member

not fun.

Didn't know "big" now means "small".

No seriously, Marshal plays a smaller role in Fever than even Mandrill does.

I understand that the Chorus Kids don't themselves have a large role in their game (but since you're going the "mascot" clause, they are essentially the mascots for Rhythm Heaven DS), but I absolutely hate it when people try to claim Marshal is the better choice for false reasons.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Yeah, it's in Remix 7. Go check a perfect play of it on Youtube if you want to see it.

It's pretty brief though.
Oh THATS who that was. Didn't even recognize him lol

Didn't know "big" now means "small".

No seriously, Marshal plays a smaller role in Fever than even Mandrill does.

I understand that the Chorus Kids don't themselves have a large role in their game (but since you're going the "mascot" clause, they are essentially the mascots for Rhythm Heaven DS), but I absolutely hate it when people try to claim Marshal is the better choice for false reasons.
What are you talking about? I'd say that the only character that exceeds Marshal in fever is the monkey.

And thanks for hating my ideas <3

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
We are not arguing about RH characters, we are arguing about the Chorus Kids. Read the post, did I tell you to do anything? I told you that it was okay to admit something. Also the issue is that Sakurai did not choose a RH character that reflected what was wanted, and that bandwagoners make it hard to judge if something was a good choice. Kind of like being in a board meeting with a bunch of yes-men, or the emperor's new clothes.
Stop the generalization.

I can admit Sakurai makes mistakes, which he has done many times. I'll give you a list if you want of things he did that really ticked me off, even in this very game. Roster choices though? Not something I can fault anyone for, no matter what game.

D

Deleted member

PSA: Marshal is definitely not the guy from the first Night Walk.

That guy is this guy from Nintendo's media player system for GBA/DS called Play-Yan.

swordbreaker

Smash Journeyman
Stop the generalization.

I can admit Sakurai makes mistakes, which he has done many times. I'll give you a list if you want of things he did that really ticked me off, even in this very game. Roster choices though? Not something I can fault anyone for, no matter what game.
There is nothing wrong with generalizing if it's what happens most of the time, and it's mostly human nature to go with the flow. It's the only reason the situation with this character turned out the way it did, from having almost NO support, to having a busting topic.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
PSA: Marshal is definitely not the guy from the first Night Walk.

That guy is this guy from Nintendo's media player system for GBA/DS called Play-Yan.
yeah, we just established they were not the same guy.

that's interesting that they used a media player mascot in rhythm heaven though. makes sense.

D

Deleted member

@ S swordbreaker
Have you ever stopped to think about that the reason they had no support was because no one in their right mind would have thought that a trio would work prior to the leak?

You know, when duos were still questionable (especially with the concept "taking away" from the Ice Climbers' gimmick)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom