• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
They are also male, Lords, and they predominantly use swords.

So he also has red hair? :roypm:
Lets see for a grand ol comparison

Marth, Blue hair, sword user
Alm, Blue hair, sword user
Cecilia, Red hair, Magic/Sword user
Sigurd, Blue hair, mounted Sword/Lance promoted character
Seilph his son, Blue hair, mounted Sword/Lance but started as a lord with just a sword
Leif, Brown hair, Sword user, but in FE4 promoted to a mounted unit who could use literally everything but Dark Magic
Roy, Red Hair, Sword user
Eliwood, Red hair, Sword user then lance mounted
Hector, Blue hair, Axes got Swords on promotion
Lyn, Green hair, Katana styled sword use. Gets Bows on promotion
Ephraim, Blue hair, Lances
Eirika, Blue hair, Swords
Ike, Blue hair, Swords. In his sequel late game Swords/Axes
Micaiah, Silver Haired, Light Magic/Staves
Sothe (He semi counts) Green hair, Knives
Chrom, Blue haired Swords promotes to be able to use lances. Has reclass options that include mounts, bows, Axes
Lucina same as above except more weapon chances due to more reclass options
Robin, Magic/Swords any hair color, default white. Endless reclass options

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
It's worth noting that "lord" is a fan-made term...

So that would make their similarity main characters of their respective games.
Which is an unfair comparison. We aren't going to add some side character just because they aren't a blue haired lord.

I have faith that Sakurai will come up with something interesting for Chrom.

Oh, and I doubt that anyone will have trouble figuring out who's who.

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
Lyn, Green hair, Katana styled sword use
She also can use bows on promotion.

What I'm getting from your list isn't that it's IS's fault or Sakurai's fault, but poor timing where the most recent main character happens to be a Marth(ish) expy.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
She also can use bows on promotion.

What I'm getting from your list isn't that it's IS's fault or Sakurai's fault, but poor timing where the most recent main character happens to be a Marth(ish) expy.
My bad I forgot to mention Lyn's bow usage. Thanks for catching that, will rectify

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Chrom is going to be overshadowed by Shulk anyway, so the poor guy is going to be screwed either way.
Well Awakening and Xenoblade were surprise hits, I think it's going to be relatively equal on who uses whom between those 2 camps

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I completely agree to this sentiment, I cannot wait to see what he has planned.
I see what you did there. ;)

I must admit that I love the idea of Robin, Anna, and Lyn in Smash, over Chrom probably.
However Robin's shtick can be taken up by Isaac, which I would prefer.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I see what you did there. ;)

I must admit that I love the idea of Robin, Anna, and Lyn in Smash, over Chrom probably.
However Robin's shtick can be taken up by Isaac, which I would prefer.
Well, you have to consider whether it's more likely to get a character representing Fire Emblem Awakening or one representing Golden Sun.
Honestly, I think Chrom is the least likely of the three main Awakening characters to be included...at least by himself.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I think that Chrom is most likely, mainly because he is the most advertised and recognized, and I am a firm believer in Gematsu.
So I consider an Awakening rep inevitable, and Chrom is it IMO.

So a Golden Sun rep is more likely than Robin or Lucina in that case.
However I don't think Isaac is very likely.
It's sad, because his mix of Psynergy and swordsmanship can make for a badass moveset.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Lucina is both the most advertised and recognized. The latter because, of course, she resembles the most iconic character in the series.
Can't argue with that. But the most iconic character in the series is already in Smash.

However Chrom and Lucina are advertised equally. The Monster Hunter DLC, for example, features them both. And they are both featured front and center on the boxart.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Can't argue with that. But the most iconic character in the series is already in Smash.

However Chrom and Lucina are advertised equally. The Monster Hunter DLC, for example, features them both. And they are both featured front and center on the boxart.
Well, Chrom is one of the main characters so it would be weird to omit him from that.
But Lucina is on the artbook, soundtrack, has an action figure, has DLC about her backstory, etc.
At the very least, she is most certainly more popular among the developers of the game. Perhaps IS would suggest Lucina over Chrom when Sakurai inevitably asks what Awakening character to use.

And, well, we all know how that went with Miyamoto's love for Pac-Man. He missed the boat once, but not this time.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Well Awakening and Xenoblade were surprise hits, I think it's going to be relatively equal on who uses whom between those 2 camps
That's not really what I meant.

Chrom is constantly pressed as the embarrassment of the character selection due to not contributing much, but is still expected by virtue of the information we have.

Shulk gets much less of that, what with the Monado by itself being appealing enough, and other details like the visuals. But even without thinking of that you can atleast appeciate that a high quality RPG is getting the attention it deserves.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
@ Kenith Kenith
Lucina makes sense as a choice, based on all that.
But I believe Gematsu, so if Sal says Chrom I'm expecting Chrom.
I don't want to get into any Gematsu arguments but there's no changing either side's opinion unless it's confirmed or disconfirmed.

As for Shulk I'm excited to see how he looks.
I'm not impressed by the character models in Xenoblade so I'm hoping Smash improves on that.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
@ Kenith Kenith
Lucina makes sense as a choice, based on all that.
But I believe Gematsu, so if Sal says Chrom I'm expecting Chrom.
I don't want to get into any Gematsu arguments but there's no changing either side's opinion unless it's confirmed or disconfirmed.
Well, you haven't said anything regarding whether or not the Gematsu leak is dated, which is what I think.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Well, you haven't said anything regarding whether or not the Gematsu leak is dated, which is what I think.
I do think that it's dated: it referenced a debate on whether to keep Ness or Lucas.
Also "Pokemon from X/Y".

However I don't think any character decisions have changed.
Sakurai said the roster was finalized a while back.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I do think that it's dated: it referenced a debate on whether to keep Ness or Lucas.
Also "Pokemon from X/Y".

Well, the leak is clearly from a time when the roster wasn't finalized. Greninja and Ness/Lucas wasn't decided.

It's unlikely, but it's possible not everything went according to the original plan.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Also "Pokemon from X/Y".

You don't think any character decisions have changed, yet you point out the "X/Y Pokemon"?

Morbi

Scavenger
Chrom is going to be overshadowed by Shulk anyway, so the poor guy is going to be screwed either way.
I am not entirely sure about that, maybe Shulk is the more popular choice in the speculation community. However, in the case of about 80% (random arbitrary number) of the consumers, both are going to get overshadowed by characters like Greninja and Rosalina.
:4pacman:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
You don't think any character decisions have changed, yet you point out the "X/Y Pokemon"?
Greninja was the last character decided, I would imagine. "Pokemon from X/Y" was tentative until Gamefreak sent Sakurai the Greninja art. Sakurai didn't even know who the characters were.

Chrom, Shulk, and Chorus Kids were decided beforehand, so I would think they're finalized too.

I don't know, I just don't think they would change Chrom into Lucina.
Chrom may look similar to Ike and Marth, but you said yourself that Lucina resembles Marth too.
That's probably the only reason he'd be changed.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Perhaps that is Greninja's official nickname, "Pokemon from X and Y." It has a certain ring to it!

Well, the leak is clearly from a time when the roster wasn't finalized. Greninja and Ness/Lucas wasn't decided.

It's unlikely, but it's possible not everything went according to the original plan.
Unlikely that a leak that alludes to a roster not yet finalized would be subject to change? WHAT am I reading? I understand that you are trying to be humble, but seriously? It is blatantly overt that there are going to be changes pertaining to the roster.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
That's not really what I meant.

Chrom is constantly pressed as the embarrassment of the character selection due to not contributing much, but is still expected by virtue of the information we have.

Shulk gets much less of that, what with the Monado by itself being appealing enough, and other details like the visuals. But even without thinking of that you can atleast appeciate that a high quality RPG is getting the attention it deserves.
Ohhh I gotcha now, I apologize for missing your meaning, Xenoblade does deserve this 10x over too

I fell in love with the game the moment I controlled Dunban in sword valley lol

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I am not entirely sure about that, maybe Shulk is the more popular choice in the speculation community. However, in the case of about 80% (random arbitrary number) of the consumers, both are going to get overshadowed by characters like Greninja and Rosalina.
:4pacman:
Nope, those folks are just going to pick Pikachu and spam Thunder, as with every other game in the series. If anything, people will spew Rosalina and Greninja "suck".

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Unlikely that a leak that alludes to a roster not yet finalized would be subject to change? WHAT am I reading? I understand that you are trying to be humble, but seriously? It is blatantly overt that there are going to be changes pertaining to the roster.
Yeah... I usually try to avoid making unnecessary controversy, so I word my statements like that.

Morbi

Scavenger
Nope, those folks are just going to pick Pikachu and spam Thunder, as with every other game in the series. If anything, people will spew Rosalina and Greninja "suck".
I suppose that is (very) possible. Maybe Mega Man was the more operative example, everyone seems to love Mega Man.

Yeah... I usually try to avoid making unnecessary controversy, so I word my statements like that.
Equivocation?

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I just doubt that they would cut Chrom, Shulk, and Chorus Kids if they were planned from the get-go, okay?

It's possible that the roster has changed in those areas, but I highly doubt it.
If anything changes it would likely be last minute additions and exclusions. Those characters specifically don't seem like cuts.
Anyone who supports a character that isn't Chrom, Shulk, or Chorus Men is going to stir up controversy.
That's really stupid to say.

Just because you believe Gematsu doesn't mean you can't support characters outside of it.
I support K. Rool, Ridley, Isaac, Paper Mario, among tons of other characters.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I just doubt that they would cut Chrom, Shulk, and Chorus Kids if they were planned from the get-go, okay?

It's possible that the roster has changed in those areas, but I highly doubt it.
If anything changes it would likely be last minute additions and exclusions. Those characters specifically don't seem like cuts.
I agree with this sentiment despite the notion that there is nothing objective to support it. I am just certain that there are more characters than those three given the fact that the leak alludes to information over a year old at this point. Anything Can Change.

:4marth:+:4myfriends:=:4lucario:/:4greninja:+:4sonic:
Carry the :4megaman:

... and we have Chrom!

Last edited:

Weeman

Smash Crusader
I agree with this sentiment despite the notion that there is nothing objective to support it. I am just certain that there are more characters than those three given the fact that the leak alludes to information over a year old at this point. Anything Can Change.

:4marth:+:4myfriends:=:4lucario:/:4greninja:+:4sonic:
Carry the :4megaman:

... and we have Chrom!
You forgot to divide by :falco:

Hong

The Strongest

I know. I'd love to see a game that went past a few months in development that went exactly as according to plan. Anything can change. I am sure if a small pint-sized studio can construct an HD character from scratch, with voice acting, and have them in a working build for the public that is reasonably balanced and all finished within a month, I would like to think a team at the scope and magnitude of the one behind Smash 4 can make revisions within at the very least the first year of development.

A lot of people take the "roster was finalized in 2012" comment too literally. How horrible it would be if the ideas you wrote up within the first few months of game development had to be followed to a tee. O.O That would be absurd. Mr. Sakurai is stubborn, but that is quite literally nigh impossible, and horribly impractical. If anything, i am sure he had a much better starting draft this time than he did with Brawl. But I don't think there will be a game in history that can be in development for longer than a year and not have to make some serious adjustments. A lot of characters, features, modes, etc. just don't work, whether it's because they literally don't work, they're not fun, they're not interesting, or they came up with better ideas.

I 100% believe that information was leaked, but no matter what characters are on there I won't be so bold as to assume them in the product until they are shown in a working form dated past 2014. Gosh, look at the graveyard of characters for both Melee (Lucas, Leif) and Brawl (forbidden seven), and who knows how many characters who have flopped that we have never heard of. Whether it's because they ran out of time, things didn't work as intended, or there was a change in plans, all that matters is game development is never, ever, ever a flawless prospect.

Which is good, because it's bad enough to have to ship something that you're not fully satisfied with.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
So, what Shulk does....

Anyway, as a fun 'what-if' scenario for fun to relieve some of this tension, I've been re-playong Ocarina of Time, and I realized that she never uses her hard in smash, which is essentially (outside arguably her up-B) her only canon tool. Bust out some charge moves that play songs and have elemental effects or some sheet like that would be bannanas. Anyway, I can dream right?

Just tell me hearing serenade of water as a torrent of water erupts from the ground wouldnt be dope

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Have to stop you there.

Lucina is both the most advertised and recognized. The latter because, of course, she resembles the most iconic character in the series.
Lucina is mostly advertised and recognized when she's disguised and referred to as Marth. So it makes more sense to add that version of her, but why bother doing that when you already have Marth?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Lucina is mostly advertised and recognized when she's disguised and referred to as Marth. So it makes more sense to add that version of her, but why bother doing that when you already have Marth?
Because

a) She's not Marth
b) She's advertised mostly as Lucina.
c) She's not Marth.

Morbi

Scavenger
I suppose that is the beauty of alternate costumes, we can have both. :awesome:

Because

a) She's not Marth
b) She's advertised mostly as Lucina.
c) She's not Marth.
This man makes a compelling argument if I do say so myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom