• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smady

Smash Master
Throwing rupees is enough, when you also look at what else he does in his game. I've come around from hating the character to actually not minding if he gets in, and his potential for a moveset is largely what swayed me.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
What's everybody's stance on whether or not we'll get another Zelda rep now that Zelda and Sheik are split?
I'm doubtful of it. Even before the Direct not a lot of people expected a Zelda newcomer, and now that it's likely Sheik will have her own slot, the likelihood of a Zelda newcomer seems to have dropped. There's also the issue of who would be the next Zelda character. Toon Zelda seems to have been butchered by the Direct, and a Skyward Sword character like Ghirahim seems unlikely at this point. I would think Tetra or perhaps Tingle would be the most likely candidates, but even then, neither of them are a big priority. My guess is that we just won't see a Zelda newcomer this time around. Hopefully they do something big with Ganondorf to make up for that...

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Throwing rupees is enough, when you also look at what else he does in his game. I've come around from hating the character to actually not minding if he gets in, and his potential for a moveset is largely what swayed me.
I'm perfectly fine with him getting in as long as he doesn't scream KOOLOO-LIMPAH!!
With every attack.

LordJackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lordjackal92
I would think Tetra or perhaps Tingle would be the most likely candidates, but even then, neither of them are a big priority..
I've been reconsidering the priority thing for a while. A lot of the characters we've seen seem to buck the priority trend and go for unique gameplay over everything else; Villager, WFT, Rosalina, there were bigger fish than all of those reps but we're seeing them in. Largely, I'd assume, because there aren't a whole lot of other characters like them. That's why I'm pulling for Tingle.

Smady

Smash Master
I've been reconsidering the priority thing for a while. A lot of the characters we've seen seem to buck the priority trend and go for unique gameplay over everything else; Villager, WFT, Rosalina, there were bigger fish than all of those reps but we're seeing them in. Largely, I'd assume, because there aren't a whole lot of other characters like them. That's why I'm pulling for Tingle.
Largely same here; Tingle is fairly unique among the WW/PH/ST selection of characters and has a spin-off series of games, which I remember hearing Sakurai was a fan of, or that he liked the character. To be honest, Tingle would be one of the better newcomers added in terms of actual personality, even if he's really, really campy.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Nah. That'd just be a highly spammable taunt :troll:
I'd probably end up getting band from online from quitting to much after hearing that taunt once!
I'd end up quitting every time I saw Tingle in a match.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Imagine having the Zelda roster be the Hero of Hyrule, the Princess of Destiny, the Survivor of the Sheikah's, the King of Evil, the Hero of Winds, and a 35 year old man who thinks he's a fairy.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
But how would Pokémon Trainer work?
Sending out pokemon (Pidgeoto, Beedrill, etc) for specials, using Items/Key Items (Bicycle, Old Rod, maybe Repels) for normals. maybe even switching it up a little and have an item for a special and a pokemon as a normal.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Somewhat late with this, but oh well.

For me, the Villager is the best newcomer so far, he's really wacky and Animal Crossing is a big series that really deserved it. I've only ever played a single AC game (New Leaf) and I only played it because of Villager making it into Smash, and I do like him, but I just didn't really want him.

I know Mega Man was the big fan favorite and most requested, and I was expecting him to show up, but I had never played a Mega Man game before then. I actually had no idea who he was until around Brawl speculation when he was popping up everywhere. His moveset looks really great though and I look forward to him.

Little Mac is... Interesting, to say the least. I'm not a fan at all and I only put him in third place because I dislike everyone under him more. His moveset certainly looks unique and refreshing, but I just can't say I like him. Even if I had played Punch-Out, I still wouldn't have wanted him, he's just... I don't know how to put it.

Rosalina by far has the most interesting gimmick, but I'm completely put off by her as a character. Maybe I'm just the genwunner equivalent of a Mario fan, but I just hate that this new face has become big enough to be included in Smash. It just feels like Nintendo pushing and I don't like it at all.

Greninja was saved the spot of last place by Miss Fit easily taking that cake. I like how he looks gameplay wise, and he was my starter of choice in X (along with Charizard), and I do like him as a Pokemon... But him being in Smash just rubs me the wrong way. I could just be angry about the loss of the Trainer though.

Of course that leaves Miss/Hee Fit in last place, I highly doubt that needs explanation. Sure it was neat as a "surprise! no one thought of this character!" thing, but the novelty has really worn off with the majority of the newcomers doing the same thing. She isn't even unique playstyle wise so there's really nothing redeeming.

I'm not trying to be negative about this, but this is really getting bad. Particularly with people going as far as trying to find unwantedexpected characters, and even believing something like Chorus Men will be in... The standards are really starting to drop to Miiverse level, I'm half expecting people to think Goku has a chance. The rest of the game looks great, the modes, stages, etc. But the characters are the meat of the game, and the single most important aspect for me, I'm not going to say the game is bad... But I really wouldn't want to waste my money on it if the one thing I care about isn't up to snuff, you know? I get that there are people who like it for the gameplay, but this is still about the characters at heart. If I was worried about the gameplay, I'd go play some other fighting game.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
What's everybody's stance on whether or not we'll get another Zelda rep now that Zelda and Sheik are split?
We have our fifth complete fighter in Sheik now.
I doubt we'll see a sixth for Zelda before we see one for Mario though.
Imagine having the Zelda roster be the Hero of Hyrule, the Princess of Destiny, the Survivor of the Sheikah's, the King of Evil, the Hero of Winds, and a 35 year old man who thinks he's a fairy.
Sums up the Zelda franchise pretty perfectly.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I'm not trying to be negative about this, but this is really getting bad. Particularly with people going as far as trying to find unwantedexpected characters, and even believing something like Chorus Men will be in...
WHAT THE HELL IS THAT SUPPOSED TO MEAN?

I've always kinda expected someone from rhythm heaven, for logical reasons. Is this supposing that I am stupid? That I don't have any reason to expect such a character other than shock value? Well sir, you are in for a mildly pleasant (but still rude) awakening. The fact that You think expecting that is just as bad as Goku is something you need to know is completely incorrect and wrong.

I know there's opinions but COME ON man. ;)

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
No one would be rooting for Chorus Men if it wasn't for Sal's leak. Literally no one. I've seen support for Marshal, Wrestler, Rhythm Girl, Monkey, and more. But I've seen literally nothing for Chorus Men until recently.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Look, I know you are upset, but calling everyone's expectations and wants "miiverse level" doesn't really help your case. It just seems like you're taking it out on us.

No offense, but you ARE trying to be negative.You are treating us like we are part of the problem.

Do you see what this "characters makes the game" mentality is doing to you? Sure, maybe it is, but that doesn't mean you have to follow it. You said it yourself, everything else is good. So if you let that mentality go, you might be able to find some positivity again.

All of this is just a suggestion. You don't have to follow my advice.

I just hope whatever you do, you stop taking your anger out on everyone. :/

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
No one would be rooting for Chorus Men if it wasn't for Sal's leak. Literally no one. I've seen support for Marshal, Wrestler, Rhythm Girl, Monkey, and more. But I've seen literally nothing for Chorus Men until recently.
Well, even though I might be wrong, I still think that leak could be taking about Marshal.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I couldn't help but try and yes this is total bull crap but this would be awesome.
http://askhelixfossil.com/#t805tj
then this forum would die from all the reveals and deconfirmations.

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Stuff like that should go in the social thread under the "smash for Wii U" boards, if you didn't know.
I was still referencing characters though.
It was just a joke anyway I'm not seriously gonna believe a "Helix Fossil".
I mean I'm not a total Idiot.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
WHAT THE HELL IS THAT SUPPOSED TO MEAN?

I've always kinda expected someone from rhythm heaven, for logical reasons. Is this supposing that I am stupid? That I don't have any reason to expect such a character other than shock value? Well sir, you are in for a mildly pleasant (but still rude) awakening. The fact that You think expecting that is just as bad as Goku is something you need to know is completely incorrect and wrong.

I know there's opinions but COME ON man. ;)
Didn't expect such a harsh response, but I guess it was expected, there's no way to avoid people attacking you over the internet because of an opinion...

Am I wrong for thinking it's Goku level? Not really, if you can "call people stupid" for wanting Goku, what difference is it when someone does the same for this? I'm not calling anyone here stupid, your thinking of that only proves the mentality that it's alright to call Miiverse stupid for wanting Goku, but not someone else for a different character. It's all nothing but a matter of opinion, like Ridley fans thinking toobiggots are stupid and toobiggots thinking Ridley fans are stupid.

Don't take my opinion as a personal attack.
Look, I know you are upset, but calling everyone's expectations and wants "miiverse level" doesn't really help your case. It just seems like you're taking it out on us.

No offense, but you ARE trying to be negative.You are treating us like we are part of the problem.

Do you see what this "characters makes the game" mentality is doing to you? Sure, maybe it is, but that doesn't mean you have to follow it. You said it yourself, everything else is good. So if you let that mentality go, you might be able to find some positivity again.

All of this is just a suggestion. You don't have to follow my advice.

I just hope whatever you do, you stop taking your anger out on everyone. :/
How does my opinion make me upset? I'm not taking anything out on anyone, like I said above, if you can think Goku is a stupid idea, what's wrong with me thinking Marshal is a stupid idea? Double standards everywhere.

...What it's doing to me? The characters do make the game, if I wanted to play a fighting game, I'd play a fighting game, I play Smash because I want to play as (insert character here), you do know that's the major focal and selling point, right? Yeah, everything else looks good, but say you don't like steak, and you get steak for dinner with your favorite side dish, was it a good meal because of the side dish even though you hated the main course?

I've already found plenty of positive things, didn't you see me saying that Villager and Mega Man look good? There are plenty of things to look forward to, like I said, I'm not calling the game bad, just sharing my opinion. Sheesh, if you say one bad thing about it people think you're trashing the whole damn thing.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Didn't expect such a harsh response, but I guess it was expected, there's no way to avoid people attacking you over the internet because of an opinion...

Am I wrong for thinking it's Goku level? Not really, if you can "call people stupid" for wanting Goku, what difference is it when someone does the same for this? I'm not calling anyone here stupid, your thinking of that only proves the mentality that it's alright to call Miiverse stupid for wanting Goku, but not someone else for a different character. It's all nothing but a matter of opinion, like Ridley fans thinking toobiggots are stupid and toobiggots thinking Ridley fans are stupid.

Don't take my opinion as a personal attack.
How does my opinion make me upset? I'm not taking anything out on anyone, like I said above, if you can think Goku is a stupid idea, what's wrong with me thinking Marshal is a stupid idea? Double standards everywhere.

...What it's doing to me? The characters do make the game, if I wanted to play a fighting game, I'd play a fighting game, I play Smash because I want to play as (insert character here), you do know that's the major focal and selling point, right? Yeah, everything else looks good, but say you don't like steak, and you get steak for dinner with your favorite side dish, was it a good meal because of the side dish even though you hated the main course?

I've already found plenty of positive things, didn't you see me saying that Villager and Mega Man look good? There are plenty of things to look forward to, like I said, I'm not calling the game bad, just sharing my opinion. Sheesh, if you say one bad thing about it people think you're trashing the whole damn thing.
Alright next question whos got one let's get off of THAT topic.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Agreed. The Chorus Men are off the wall even for Sakurai. Maybe if they're well done in implementation I'll be convinced, but...really? Chorus Men?
There is probably some sort of rhythm style of fighting going to be involved with them. Maybe my ideas of Lip might be realized after all, with powering up through chaining attacks not only increasing damage output but also upgrading certain attacks for extra efficiency.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Okay...

Let's all calm down people...

So... Shulk, Chrom and Palutena look like shoe ins now.

Those three are popular characters. What do you think?

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
And this is why Tingle is a badass. I just don't see why Americans event hate this guy.
He is an AWESOME character but his GawdDang voice is just too much for me.
Especially when he's like 35 Years Old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom