• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Yes, but the poster child for Animal Crossing is the Villager, YOUR character. Chrom is the posterboy for Awakening, and plays a huge role in the game.
Ooh, are we talking about Robin?

Well, I would say that Robin has a role in the game that's just as important as Chrom. They're both main characters of the game, so in that sense, they're both just as viable as Smash candidates.

Gune

Smash Lord
Seeing how these games are having more focus on making everyone good and powerful wouldn't it make more sense to take out the character that is mostly there as a joke?
Honestly both Mewtwo and jiggs were somewhat joke charecters at one time, but sakurai is focusing on balancing so I wouldnt think he would cut someone because of what they used to be.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Ooh, are we talking about Robin?

Well, I would say that Robin has a role in the game that's just as important as Chrom. They're both main characters of the game, so in that sense, they're both just as viable as Smash candidates.
Oh, I'm not saying Robin is not important. But when it comes to advertising the game, IS would probably want to have the posterboy, the recognizable character in Smash. Chrom, in my eyes, is easily more recognizable and more well-known than Robin. Which is why I think he'll have the edge over him/her.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
See I don't understand why they would cut a completely original character, from a game that was rated very highly? Unless time constraints of course. The only character that was replaced was really Young Link because Toon Link is pretty much the same character and was more recent. I don't even think Chrom will be the awakening rep. If they do get one it'll be Robin, the character that you create. That would be like picking Tom Nook over Villager. You create Villager and Robin, not Chrom and Tom Nook.
That analogy doesn't quite work. Tom Nook is an important NPC, but he's just that: an NPC. He's always a secondary character to Villager, who is the main character and as TumblrFamous said, the main posterboy as you do everything through him and the game is promoted with him. Villager is always going to be more important then Tom Nook, and thus he was the better choice between the two.

Yes, Robin is very important in Awakening and is one of the main characters, but Chrom is as well and he also gets a lot of focus in the game. He's also the one that IS pushes, we see more of the character in advertisements for the games then we do Robin. So all in all, Chrom is the one that is more the posterboy between the two, and thus the one that's more likely for IS to default to if they wanted to represent the game.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Oh, I'm not saying Robin is not important. But when it comes to advertising the game, IS would probably want to have the posterboy, the recognizable character in Smash. Chrom, in my eyes, is easily more recognizable and more well-known than Robin. Which is why I think he'll have the edge over him/her.
Oh, there's no doubt that being the poster boy gives Chrom the edge, I think. I just don't think Robin should be counted out because of that. They do both promote Awakening, after all. I might even argue that Robin would promote Awakening better, but...

D

Deleted member

Joke characters can still be good.
Let's not forget Melee Jiggs.

Plus Jiggs has pretty much transcended joke status to just... series staple status, and it's unlikely that will change now.
I'll be laughing a lot if by the time Smash Bros 5 gets announced, people will still think Jigglypuff will get cut.

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
Here's a question, but basing on what Bkuppa has been ranting about, are you people feeling "cheated" that certain characters that have been clamored in massive numbers are being snubbed in favor of a bunch of characters that are included for the surprise factor?
Not really. Villager, Rosalina, and Greninja made me more excited for the game than most of the "most wanted newcomers" would have. The only most wanteds that I really want are Ridley and to a lesser extent K. Rool.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
If he liked joke characters that much Pichu wouldn't have been planned on being cut for Brawl right from the beginning without even trying to add him. Jigglypuff was one of the last characters added, and she only got added because near the end of development they still had enough time to add her along with Toon Link and Wolf due to being easy to make additions, so why not? She's probably low priority again, and I don't know if they'll have enough time to add her this time, I think there will be other characters (easy to make characters or not) that will out prioritize her.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I'm just wondering, but how many of you expect Ganondorf to have a full makeover of his moveset?

As for me, I expect him to have alot that was in Brawl, but maybe change his Neutral and down B. I also think he'll have a sword, but most of his A-attacks will remain the same, only just used with the sword.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
If he liked joke characters that much Pichu wouldn't have been planned on being cut for Brawl right from the beginning without even trying to add him. Jigglypuff was one of the last characters added, and she only got added because near the end of development they still had enough time to add her along with Toon Link and Wolf due to being easy to make additions, so why not? She's probably low priority again, and I don't know if they'll have enough time to add her this time, I think there will be other characters (easy to make characters or not) that will out prioritize her.
Two things.

Pichu was just a terrible character concept in general in addition to being a clone of Pikachu. He wasn't needed.

2nd, the problem with the low priority argument is that we have no idea why she was low priority in the first place. We also have no proof on whether or not Jigglypuff is low priority again. We can make assumptions, but thats all they are. Assumptions.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I'm just wondering, but how many of you expect Ganondorf to have a full makeover of his moveset?

As for me, I expect him to have alot that was in Brawl, but maybe change his Neutral and down B. I also think he'll have a sword, but most of his A-attacks will remain the same, only just used with the sword.
I fully expect it, I hope they give Ganondorf a Classic revamp.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Not really. Villager, Rosalina, and Greninja made me more excited for the game than most of the "most wanted newcomers" would have. The only most wanteds that I really want are Ridley and to a lesser extent K. Rool.
I agree, the rest just weren't my cup of tea. I'm not saying they're bad choices or anything.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I wasn't excited for any of the newcomer reveals, honestly the veteran reveals were more exciting for me. I just don't really like the newcomers.

Mega Man and Villager are the best of the group for me though, but I'm still hoping we get some actual good newcomers.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
For me the characters that I wanted added in this Smash were Mega Man, Ridley, King K. Rool and Shulk, Mega man is in and looks fantastic, Ridley seems deconfirmed, King K. Rool is in the Limbo and Shulk could probably join the roster if the leak is real, so if I get at least Mega Man, King K. Rool and Shulk, maybe I will forget again Ridley not be included (it has been 15 years that I want Ridley playable, yes that long since Smash 64) to be fair all the newcomers look superb and the only one that for me dosen´t click in Smash is WFT.
.n_n.

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
Really? You weren't excited about Mega Man or Little Mac's reveal?
Speaking for myself, I wasn't hyped for Mega Man at all. He was kinda meh in my opinion, but I've never played a Mega Man game either. Little Mac is kinda cool, but I like him more for his trailer. :ohwell:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
My thoughts on the newcomers so far are:

Mega Man's reveal was so hype for me, but Rosalina is the character I wanted most and is the one who has me most excited. Mega Man is a close second, but Rosalina...well she's just my bottom *****, homie! And if I'm being completely honest, Rosalina is literally the only pure Nintendo character that I really wanted in the game before I got into the discussions here and what not (not counting veterans). I wanted Mega Man, but he's third party. And I still want Layton, but he is third party (even if he does have ties to Nintendo from a more legal/production related stand point).

Wii Fit Trainer and Villager were characters I didn't think of and to be honest, I honestly don't care about them as characters, but their inclusions made me laugh. Wii Fit Trainer was an ingenious idea, and Villager's moveset looks great.

Little Mac was a character I knew people wanted, but I hadn't played his games. But his trailer was amazing and got me excited, and I do want to try him out.

Greninja is...meh. I want to stress that I don't mind him being in the game, but he REALLY wasn't the right choice for the Smash Direct newcomer reveal. He should have been a secret, unlockable character. That Smash Direct got me hyped and was amazing, but Greninja had NOTHING to do with it, and to be honest, Charizard was more exciting to me. And this seems to be what the majority on the West side of the internet seem to think. Many people just didn't know who the character was. He's just not had the time to mesh with people yet, which ruins the hype potential. He came too soon, IMO.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Two things.

Pichu was just a terrible character concept in general in addition to being a clone of Pikachu. He wasn't needed.

2nd, the problem with the low priority argument is that we have no idea why she was low priority in the first place. We also have no proof on whether or not Jigglypuff is low priority again. We can make assumptions, but thats all they are. Assumptions.
Yes assumptions, we all assume that certain characters are likely or unlikely, that's the point. I assume Jigglypuff was low priority because she wasn't seen as very necessary when compared to other characters.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
This reminds me of a discussion experiment I came up with a while back.

Who would you choose if every represented series in Smash Bros had exactly three or less characters?

Ex. Mario, Peach, Bowser.
Sorry to bring this back up after so many pages, but here's my take:
Mario: Mario, Luigi, Bowser
Zelda: Link, Zelda, Ganondorf
Pokemon: Pikachu, Lucario, Charizard
Metorid: Samus, ZSS, Ridley
Kirby: Kirby, Meta Knight, Dedede
DK: Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, King K. Rool
Wario: Wario, ???(don't know enough about Wario to comment on it myself)
StarFox: Fox, Falco, Wolf
Kid Icarus: Pit, Palutena
Animal Crossing; Villager
Fire Emblem: Marth, Ike, Gharnef
F-Zero: Captain Falcon, Samurai Goroh
Pikmin: Olimar, ???
Earthbound: Ness, Lucas, ???
Punch Out: Little Mac, ???
Sonic: Sonic, Tails, Knuckles
Mega Man: Mega Man, Zero, Bass.EXE
Metal Gear Solid: Snake, Raiden, ???
'Misc:' ROB, Mr. G&W, Ice Climbers, WFT
Apologies if I forgot a series or anything like that.

Last edited:

Smady

Smash Master
If Mewtwo is in the game, that'd be a far better choice for a Smash Direct newcomer.

All the fans watching the game know who that is, he's probably the most popular newcomer for Pokemon. I don't understand the logic behind the Greninja reveal, aside from the fact that he's a genuine newcomer, and maybe Sakurai doesn't feel Mewtwo deserves in a sense a re-reveal over genuine newcomers.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I don't understand the logic behind the Greninja reveal, aside from the fact that he's a genuine newcomer, and maybe Sakurai doesn't feel Mewtwo deserves in a sense a re-reveal over genuine newcomers.
If that were the case, why reveal Charizard like that except as a fake-out?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
If Mewtwo is in the game, that'd be a far better choice for a Smash Direct newcomer.

All the fans watching the game know who that is, he's probably the most popular newcomer for Pokemon. I don't understand the logic behind the Greninja reveal, aside from the fact that he's a genuine newcomer, and maybe Sakurai doesn't feel Mewtwo deserves in a sense a re-reveal over genuine newcomers.
Sakurai already confirmed that he was thinking about Mewtwo, and how he might integrate Mega Evolutions into him. Mewtwo warrants a CGI trailer just because so many people want him back, but they could really justify it if Mega Evolutions are incorporated into his moveset.

Smady

Smash Master
@ Robert of Normandy Robert of Normandy Because it was part of the transformation changes covered in the Direct. ZSS and Sheik got the banner treatment but no trailer, that was all for Greninja's sake, not Charizard.

@ ChikoLad ChikoLad I agree it's justified, but Sakurai may have a pattern he wants to follow when it comes to veterans, even ones that were removed in the previous game.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Knew the "entitled" epithet would be brought up the moment I (or anyone else) attacked what's looking to be the final roster for not having K. Rool, Ridley, or maybe even Mewtwo. Naturally, I think that's a load of garbage; Smash is far and away Nintendo's largest fanservice game, one that rose to prominence as a result of featuring said fanservice, and if that fanservice begins to decline in quantity or quality, there's every reason to let that be known in a public forum. Yeah, expectation that the fan favorites will get into the game do form kind of naturally when popularity polls are released for previous games, and when the developer repeatedly states that he listens to fans. One or two newcomers out of a dozen like I know are about to be named off in response to this post is pretty lackluster as far as listening goes IMO.

Oh, and I don't believe this constitutes ranting...it's a run-of-the-mill criticism at most, though I do expect that, once the final roster is unveiled, more colorful posts will have to be made if they are to be noticed at all among the flood of "OMG PERFECT ROSTER" posts.

Last edited:

Smady

Smash Master
This reminds me of a discussion experiment I came up with a while back.

Who would you choose if every represented series in Smash Bros had exactly three or less characters?

Ex. Mario, Peach, Bowser.
Sorry to be late, but I also couldn't pass up this fun thing.

Mario: Mario, Luigi, Bowser
Zelda: Link, Zelda, Ganon
Pokemon: Pikachu, Meowth, Mewtwo
Donkey Kong: Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, K. Rool
Metroid: Samus, Ridley, Mother Brain
Kirby: Kirby, Meta Knight, Dedede
Wario: Wario, Captain Syrup, Waluigi
Star Fox: Fox, Slippy, Wolf
Kid Icarus: Pit, Medusa, Hades
F-Zero: Captain Falcon, Black Shadow, Deathborn
Fire Emblem: Marth, Levin, Gharnef
Pikmin: Olimar, Louie, Charlie
Earthbound: Ness, Poo, Porky
Punch-Out!!: Little Mac, King Hippo, Soda Popinski
Sonic: Sonic, Tails, Robotnik
MegaMan: MegaMan, Protoman, Dr. Wily
Metal Gear Solid: Snake, Raiden, Ocelot
Yoshi: Yoshi, Baby Bowser, Kamek

That was fun, hardest part was Pikmin, as I like to have a villain in the mix, and there are none applicable in that series. I also tried to keep it so there wouldn't be any unnecessary cloned sets but again Pikmin, as well as Star Fox made it impossible while keeping the list within the realms of possibility.

Last edited:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I actually love all the newcomers so far. There are two I like the most but I'll get to them...

Anyway, here are my thoughts in order of reveal.

Villager: As an Animal Crossing fan, I do appreciate this. I love this way more than Tom Nook probably could've been. That's coming from a Raccoon lover. His wacky moveset just looks so fun. I also like the Dream Home final smash. Though, who knew Tom nook was terrible at making buildings...

Mega Man: As someone who isn't a mega man, I appreciate him, but he personally isn't my cup of tea. Still, I love the amount of fanservice he has been given. <3

Wii-fit Trainers: Honestly, I love the wii fit trainers! They look like incredibly fun characters. I don't know which one I want to play as more, the male of the female. The female one is adorable, while the male one is hilarious. xD I just can't wait to try them out. Might be my secondary. That is...if the next slot doesn't take it.

Rosalina: The most important thing about her is that she is hot controls a luma that can offer more areas of attack. The lumas are cutie pies to boot. <3 I'm really looking forward to how she plays because she certainly has such amazing looking attacks. I'm probably the only one who also likes her final smash. Also, she is pretty attractive.

Little Mac: Don't have much to say on him. He has a nice selection of attacks and brings awesome music tracks with him. :3

Greninja: Delphox is still my favorite out of the 6th gen starters, but not even I can deny Greninja's awesomeness. He is incredible. He also knows substitute which earns a +10 in my book. He is quite the excellent Pokemon choice.

Smady

Smash Master
Everything so far has been either TP Zelda or the cel-shaded side series, so I imagine Ganondorf will be the Twilight Princess villain, while maybe Tingle can add a rep to the Toon Link one? I have serious doubts Gihrahim could get in when Link/Zelda don't remotely look as they do in Skyward Sword, which is a little sad as Ghirahim could have a very fun set.

Basically Tingle or bust. Although we have been surprised before.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Everything so far has been either TP Zelda or the cel-shaded side series, so I imagine Ganondorf will be the Twilight Princess villain, while maybe Tingle can add a rep to the Toon Link one? I have serious doubts Gihrahim could get in when Link/Zelda don't remotely look as they do in Skyward Sword, which is a little sad as Ghirahim could have a very fun set.

Basically Tingle or bust. Although we have been surprised before.
inb4 Vaati

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
What's everybody's stance on whether or not we'll get another Zelda rep now that Zelda and Sheik are split?
As much as I'd like one there doesn't seem to be a very good relevant Zelda character to put in Smash
(this is all in assumption that Ganon is returning btw)
Tingle could be one but he doesn't seem like a fighter to me.
And while Ghirahim is cool he doesn't seem like that relevant of a character I mean he's only in one game so far.
But that's just my opinion.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
As much as I'd like one there doesn't seem to be a very good relevant Zelda character to put in Smash
(this is all in assumption that Ganon is returning btw)
Tingle could be one but he doesn't seem like a fighter to me.
And while Ghirahim is cool he doesn't seem like that relevant of a character I mean he's only in one game so far.
But that's just my opinion.
Are you aware that Tingle fights in his own spin-off games?

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Are you aware that Tingle fights in his own spin-off games?
Quite aware.
But throwing Rupees doesn't seem to be enough.
(I haven't played his games so I don't have any other examples.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom