• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
If Microsoft wants Banjo in, they'll be very cooperative. This would likely include a low licensing fee, I'd bet all the 3rd party characters had generous licensing fees. Because they want their character in smash.
How on earth would that make it hard for Banjo to be in future smash games? It'd make it as easy as it could possibly be.
Nintendo isn't aiming for "highest profit of all DLC characters", if they were they wouldn't have made Roy. That being said, Banjo and Kazooie would turn titanic profits, especially when you throw in Amiibo sales and potential VC titles. Mewtwo and maybe Ridley might beat them in terms of sales.
You're making quite a few assumptions here about the business between Microsoft and Nintendo. Microsoft could very easily overcharge Nintendo for Banjo, especially when you get into things like the Amiibos where a share of the profits would have to go back to that company. Plus, nothing says that they'd be willing to allow their games in Nintendo systems as they have nothing to gain in allowing that and could just as easily refuse to put them on Nintendo and keep them on their systems so that fans interested in Banjo would go to them.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
You're making quite a few assumptions here about the business between Microsoft and Nintendo. Microsoft could very easily overcharge Nintendo for Banjo, especially when you get into things like the Amiibos where a share of the profits would have to go back to that company. Plus, nothing says that they'd be willing to allow their games in Nintendo systems as they have nothing to gain in allowing that and could just as easily refuse to put them on Nintendo and keep them on their systems so that fans interested in Banjo would go to them.
All your concerns would be quite valid if Microsoft had not already expressed interest in Banjo being in smash. The only assumption I'm making is that Microsoft wants Banjo in, which we know to be true.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
All your concerns would be quite valid if Microsoft had not already expressed interest in Banjo being in smash. The only assumption I'm making is that Microsoft wants Banjo in, which we know to be true.
I don't see how this helps anyone. If a company wants money/advertisement/is smart, they will jump at the chance to have their character in Smash.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
And nothing about that says they'll be easy partners in it, the only thing it says is that it'd be cool to have him in (and of course they'd say that, what do they have to lose?). The fact of the matter is the quote says nothing about fees, negotiations, Amiibo support (if any), among other things, and pretending they don't exist is just ignoring all of the potential problems that Banjo very well may have.

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I don't see how this helps anyone. If a company wants money/advertisement/is smart, they will jump at the chance to have their character in Smash.
I think there is some kind kind of communication error here. You say that like I don't know, but not only do I know, it is the foundation of my case. MS would practically bend over backwards to make Nintendo amicable to this deal for exactly the reasons you just said.

@ Arcanir Arcanir , If MS wants Banjo in smash, which they do, then they will be easy partners with Nintendo. They will make negotiations and fees easy for Nintendo, because they want Nintendo to agree. To do that, they need to make Nintendo happy.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I think there is some kind kind of communication error here. You say that like I don't know, but not only do I know, it is the foundation of my case. MS would practically bend over backwards to make Nintendo amicable to this deal for exactly the reasons you just said.
No.

You're assuming things.

They may like the idea, but that doesn't mean they're gonna bend over backwards.

You're equating things that aren't equatable.

StormC

Smash Hero
Everyone wants their character in Smash but that doesn't mean everyone will agree to Nintendo's terms, whatever those are.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
No.

You're assuming things.

They may like the idea, but that doesn't mean they're gonna bend over backwards.

You're equating things that aren't equatable.
I was being hyperbolic to illustrate my point. My point is that negotiating would not be that difficult because Ms would be cooperative. Nintendo is in a good position because MS wants banjo in smash more than Nintendo does.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I was being hyperbolic to illustrate my point. My point is that negotiating would not be that difficult because Ms would be cooperative. Nintendo is in a good position because MS wants banjo in smash more than Nintendo does.
What if Nintendo doesn't even want Banjo in Smash for the reasons before. Then Banjo has no chance.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
What if Nintendo doesn't even want Banjo in Smash for the reasons before. Then Banjo has no chance.
Definitely possible, but I doubt it.
That being said, if negotiations do happen, but go south, it would almost definitely be Nintendo's fault. They might go to hard line, capitalize too much on their advantaged position And give MA to little.

Do you know this for a fact?
Yes.
They want Banjo in smash.
Therefore...
They'd be cooperative.
That is how negotiation works.
Sorry for the double post, on a phone.

Last edited by a moderator:

StormC

Smash Hero
Yes.
They want Banjo in smash.
Therefore...
They'd be cooperative.
That is how negotiation works.
What if they don't agree on the licensing fees? What if they want to get involved in DLC/Amiibo price cuts? There are so many factors with things like these, especially something unprecedented with two first party companies cooperating.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06...ters-receive-no-priority-for-super-smash-bros

Adding third-party characters should be considered a very special case. In the last game, when we added Sonic and Snake, there were lots of different hoops to jump through as far as getting approvals and making sure all the parties involved were happy with the way things went. You can consider it a very special circumstance for that to happen.
This is amplified even further by it being Microsoft, not a third party.

Why would Nintendo go through all of this trouble to license a character that won't even perform exceptionally well in their home country?

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
What if they don't agree on the licensing fees? What if they want to get involved in DLC/Amiibo price cuts? There are so many factors with things like these, especially something unprecedented with two first party companies cooperating.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06...ters-receive-no-priority-for-super-smash-bros

This is amplified even further by it being Microsoft, not a third party.

Why would Nintendo go through all of this trouble to license a character that won't even perform exceptionally well in their home country?
1. MS and Nintendo cooperating on Rare Ip is not unprecedented. Heck, you can see that from Spencer's post.

2. The last thing you said is insightful.
Because ninty can say that exact thing at the negotiating table. See, Nintendo holds all the cards. It would be extremely easy to say no to MS, for many of the reasons we've been discussing. That is why they probably wouldn't need to. MS has 2 choices, be highly cooperative, or not get their guys in smash

ShichibukaiJimbe

Smash Apprentice
I'm sure Nintendo is really interested in adding a character that will be living marketing for a direct competitor, helping them ressurect a franchise on another console all just for them.

Step 1: Banjo in Smash
Step 2: license is reinvigorated so M$ can make money with their ip and anything they do related to it
Step 3: Nintendo won't get any of it and it will compete with their stuff
Step 4: ???
Step 5: Profit! (only for M$)

WOOOOOOOW What an amazing plan!!!

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
MS wouldn't mind Banjo. That is literally all Banjo has going for him. Just like Shantae, Quote, Shovel Knight, Snake, Meat Boy and many many others. Just because Microsoft wouldn't mind means Nintendo will put him in. People who think Banjo, a character from a dead franchise, genuinely has a good chance are in more denial than Geno fans will ever be. Remember how Activision asked for a ton of cash to let PSABR use Spyro and Crash? Sony had to say no as they simply refused to pay that much.

Talpr1

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo will only consider Banjo if he gets enormous support(like, twice or three times that of the second most voted character). Otherwise, adding a first party character just is the easier thing to do, expecially considering that one of the most voted first party characters, King K. Rool, shares a lot of fans with Banjo as they're both characters made by Rare.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Nintendo will only consider Banjo if he gets enormous support(like, twice or three times that of the second most voted character). Otherwise, adding a first party character just is the easier thing to do, expecially considering that one of the most voted first party characters, King K. Rool, shares a lot of fans with Banjo as they're both characters made by Rare.
And the fact that unlike K.Rool, Banjo's ****ing dead

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
My, CliffJumper always seems to land himself in trouble whenever he visits here. :laugh:

As for Banjo, he's dead, as much as it's painful to say it, but the interest in him is still strong if the Yooka-Laylee kickstarter is any indication. Most of the fans are probably hoping Nintendo takes note of that.

:231:

ToddCam

Smash Journeyman
Maybe this analogy works... a car salesperson wants to sell you a car. You want to buy a car. Both sides benefit. What in that scenario implies it will be easy?

Now throw in that the salesperson has loads of people who want to buy the car, and they only have a few they can sell. And you already have three cars, so not exactly a desperate need.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I'm not going to speak for Nintendo and say that they would want Banjo in (though their rumoured trophy case suggests they would) and nor can I guarantee Microsoft would be willing to bend over backwards but the fact that it serves as promotion for a character they now own and who has known fan support already means that they could afford to lose money on the deal and still profit off other games because of it.

Banjo is no more dead than F-Zero and ROB. His circumstances may be different as a third party and there are plenty of ways that Nintendo or Microsoft could screw this up but an agreement could also be of benefit to everyone involved. Claiming Banjo is impossible is as dumb as acting like he's certain.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Remember DLC characters are going to have Amiibos of themselves, Sakurai straight up confirmed this with the development of :4mewtwo::4lucas::4feroy::4ryu:.

Banjo's amiibo will be about as worthless as :4littlemac:&:4wiifit: but none of the extra help like being on extra Nintendo games.

But the amiibo isn't B&K's biggest issue, it's that well Banjo isn't a major franchise and even if he gets new games, you still have to realize that he's about as irrelevant than most indie franchises but has the advantage of being from a bigger company and what would Nintendo get in return. They have all the Rare games that they wanted which all :4dk: and they don't need Diddy Kong Racing since they have their own version which cut out Banjo and Conker.

He has a chance but his chances about as unlikely as Shovel Knight's. And worst than Shantae and even Rayman who I'm super low on.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well for the ballot thing

The suposive leak with

Waluigi
Paper mario
King k rool
Chibi robo

And considering
Takamaru
Wolf
Inkling

Well i still think its fake due to the assist teophy characters but.

Now i may want to consider this but, I think we jumped the gun slightly sakurai may not just go with the most voted for.

He may also pick fan picked characters for unquieness and popularity from the ballot not just most voted for

The king fits the bill because hes all of that unquie and popular.

So everybody lower than wolf and king k rool and isaac shoulden't be pushed asided as failed immediatly

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Well for the ballot thing

The suposive leak with

Waluigi
Paper mario
King k rool
Chibi robo

And considering
Takamaru
Wolf
Inkling

Well i still think its fake due to the assist teophy characters but.

Now i may want to consider this but, I think we jumped the gun slightly sakurai may not just go with the most voted for.

He may also pick fan picked characters for unquieness and popularity from the ballot not just most voted for

The king fits the bill because hes all of that unquie and popular.

So everybody lower than wolf and king k rool and isaac shoulden't be pushed asided as failed immediatly
Congratulations, you are now Mr Obvious! However, popularity is the most important thing when selling DLC. Sakurai will likely look at the top 5 or so and pick the most unique ones

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Congratulations, you are now Mr Obvious! However, popularity is the most important thing when selling DLC. Sakurai will likely look at the top 5 or so and pick the most unique ones
What im saying is deeper than that.

Top 10-20 most voted for and pick the most unquie, and ones not deconfirmed already, and probably throw away the veterans that not pre-planned. (except wolf or snake if voted for enough.)

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
What im saying is deeper than that.

Top 10-20 most voted for and pick the most unquie and ones not deconfirmed already and probably throw away the veterans that not pre-planned (except wolf or snake if voted for enough.)
It's almost the same thing everyone has been thinking with one single exception

Seriously, does no one know what a ****ing comma is anymore?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
After looking at recent Kamen Rider info, I noticed ghosts and such are very popular in Japan as of late. Coincidentally, I've been thinking about Yokai Watch possibly getting a character in a future installment or DLC if Jibanyan's popularity is that high

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Banjo's amiibo will be about as worthless as :4littlemac:&:4wiifit: but none of the extra help like being on extra Nintendo games.
Implying most of us actually care about the functionally and don't just collect them to be giant man children.

On the topic of the supposed leak, I don't think ATs being made into playable characters for DLC is impossible, just improbable because it might be an issue when playing against people who don't have the DLC. Either way, if any of the ATs were to jump that fence, Waluigi is the only one that would be seriously considered because of how immensely popular he is world wide. People like Takamaru are probably already in consideration for the next game.

Pakky

Smash Hero
It's almost the same thing everyone has been thinking with one single exception

Seriously, does no one know what a ****ing comma is anymore?
My god, was all that necessary? Anyway, I wonder if this whole leak thing is indeed true would it eventually lead to a Waluigi game. Wishful thinking but yeah, I wonder. I'm also wondering how everyone forgot about Dig Dug (Taizo Hiro) when considering what would be Namco second rep if they were to get one.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I didn't forget about Dig Dug.
I just massively prefer Nightmare.
On one hand, we have Dig Dug

On the other nad, Nightmare

I'd rather have a badass sword demon over the guy who made inflation fetishes a thing for Deviantart to play with. I alsosaw this
'IGN listed him as a character they wished to see in Super Smash Bros. Brawl as a playable guest villain, though noted he was also "too extreme" for the series'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom