• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alph Aran

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AlphSquad
I'm highly confident that AC is very popular, especially with this being targeted at the casual audience.
It's got 2 spinoffs and 4 main games, I'm highly sure it's well known to most people.

Are you the guy who posted the ZSS Gamepad Miiverse drawing. :L
I just saw it recently when I was updating the Miiverse Drawings thread.
Yes. I apologize for any face-palming, "WTF?", or anything of the sort I've caused you.

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
You know what the perfect amount of more DLC characters would be? 8. Why? Well...
-Inkling
-Bandanna Dee
-Isaac
-Dixie Kong
-King K Rool
-Wolf
-Ice Climbers
-Snake

We just need these 8, and this will be the ultimate Smash roster.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
So... What do you guys think would have happened character wise if Capcom was a part of Nintendo? In this hypothetical situation, I'm just gonna say everything that happened in the way of characters for each game did not change, and the Capcom characters were just added, and that everything that happened with Capcom still happened (For example Capcom gained the Clover characters, and the MVC series exists). So...(Bold indicates a reoccurring character through the rest of the series. I will probably be way off on when a series started, and I'm too lazy to look them up, so don't get mad if I put characters in before they existed, or if characters are long overdue/lost popularity so it wouldn't happen when I added them.)
Super Smash Bros.:
Arthur
Mega Man
Ryu

Super Smash Bros. Melee:
Darkstalkers Character(s)
Jill Valentine???
Wesker
Roll
Chun Li

Super Smash Bros. Brawl:
Zero
Tron
(NOT THE MOVIE!!!)
Amaterasu
Veiutiful Joe
Akuma
Dante
(It took me waaaaaay too long to think of him.)
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3Ds/Wii U:
Chibiterasu
Trish
Haggar???
(I'm out of ideas)

Sort of unrealated but what do you guys think would have happened if the Forbidden Seven were playable in Brawl. My theory is (assuming Plussle & Minun were part of the group):
Obviously Dr. Mario returned.
Mewtwo and Roy's DLC status would not have changed.
Toon Zelda/Toon Sheik(or Tetra) would have been cut.
Dixie Kong would have been her own character.
Plussle & Minun would have been cut, and Pachirisu would have been at least planned for the game. (Possibly instead of Greninja).

Last edited:

Roberto zampari

Smash Journeyman
Do you think that Bayonetta is too hot to be in Smash Bros?
Hotter than Zero Suit Samus?

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
It's nothing to do with too hot. It's an argument on Bayonetta being known for being deliberately risqué and that to take this out of her moveset to appropriately tone her down for Smash would be unfaithful to her character.

To properly hammer home risque vs hot, fully naked Wario wouldn't be allowed in for beig too risque and is certainly not going to be hotter than ZSS.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
You know what the perfect amount of more DLC characters would be? 8. Why? Well...
-Inkling
-Bandanna Dee
-Isaac
-Dixie Kong
-King K Rool
-Wolf
-Ice Climbers
-Snake

It's a nice thought, but that's not counting the 4 we had before. I agree though that this is about as perfect as it gets.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
-Inkling
-Bandanna Dee
-Isaac
-Dixie Kong
-King K Rool
-Wolf
-Ice Climbers
-Snake

Well no, your missing a certain Metroid rep that Sakurai deems that it would ruin his character *COUGH COUGH HACK HACK RIDLEY*

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
-Inkling
-Bandanna Dee
-Isaac
-Dixie Kong
-King K Rool
-Wolf
-Ice Climbers
-Snake

It is a great roster though realistically, we could potentially see 5 of those characters in the game; Snake, Wolf, K. Rool, Bandana Dee, and Isaac.

Reason being for the other 3 is that limitations hinder the IC's from coming back, Dixie most likely won't get in because 2 DLC reps of the same series won't probably happen, and Inklings are better off being newcomers for Smash 5.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I wish we had more details on exactly how big Sakurai's team is. If they've already cranked out four characters by this timeframe, I'm wondering if the last of the preplanned characters (if any) will be released in August and we could see a ballot character as early as October. Which makes me wonder how long Sakurai waited before picking the first ballot character.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
-Inkling
-Bandanna Dee
-Isaac
-Dixie Kong
-King K Rool
-Wolf
-Ice Climbers
-Snake

You could add an additional 30 fan favourites and I guarantee it wouldn't be deemed perfect by everyone. We're unappeasable.

Solid selection though.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
It's not how "hot" she is, it's that she's far too indecent and suggestive to get in, plus she's a super risky move to add by PR standards as some people would (quite reasonably) get offended that she was added to a Everyone ten and up game, which would in all honesty include me. Nintendo probably wouldn't ever make that big of a risk, there's just too much room for things to go wrong, and they would without a doubt lose some potential customers and end up creating at least some controversy.
Edit: Grammar

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Oooh my god, Bayonetta doesn;t HAVE to get naked, you can make her bullets have a magic heart around them, it's not that hard to tone her down for a game like smash
just like it's not that hard to make Ridley an appropriate playable size

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Oooh my god, Bayonetta doesn;t HAVE to get naked, you can make her bullets have a magic heart around them, it's not that hard to tone her down for a game like smash
just like it's not that hard to make Ridley an appropriate playable size
Nudity isn't the half of her problems.
There's her general attitude and the fact she isn't iconic unlike the other third parties.

Also:

Alph Aran

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AlphSquad
Nudity isn't the half of her problems.
There's her general attitude and the fact she isn't iconic unlike the other third parties.

Also:
Yeah. Nudity isn't one of the problems I have with Bayonetta. There's just how she is as a character and the plot of her games. I still won't bash on her because I respect all genuine character choices for DLC made by other people.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
You can never please the entire Smash fanbase, but you can please as large a chunk of it as possible. Contrary to what's implied whenever this point is brought up, all characters are not made equal in terms of how wanted they are and how badly their exclusion will sting...Goomba not being present doesn't bother a fraction of the number of people Ridley not being present does.

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I know a lot of people in this thread constantly use the Definitive Unused Fighter List as a resource. I wanted to make sure you guys were aware that I recently made a huge update to it.

If you have any additional information, please send me a PM.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
-Inkling
-Bandanna Dee
-Isaac
-Dixie Kong
-King K Rool
-Wolf
-Ice Climbers
-Snake

You could add an additional 30 fan favourites and I guarantee it wouldn't be deemed perfect by everyone. We're unappeasable.

Solid selection though.
Spot-on.

Case in point: where is my Wonder Red?

DROPPED.

@ Wintropy Wintropy back me up here

Nah but you get the idea.

Last edited:

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
I've decided to make a list of the top 5 joke characters, characters that have a bunch of votes, but are NOT going to be in smash bros due to not originating in a video game, nor having any major connection to Nintendo. Here is the list

Number 5
Rosalin....Elsa,

People really want her in because smash lacks ice users, but just cause she was in the highest grossing animated film doesn't mean she should be in smash, so just Let it go.
:troll:

Number 4
Barney

After he was leaked by Bill Trinen, Barney has gotten more requests than ever, so fans can satisfy there need for purple dinosaurs, also this is going to be one of his alts,

:troll:

Number 3
Goku

Anime characer, didn't originate in a video game, doesn't have any significant connection to Nintendo.
Well its true.

Number 2
Shrek

Looks like everyone wants a green swamp creature, and well they also want to get ogre. I don't think Sakurai believes that Shrek is love or Shrek is life though, but there was that leak of a character called Bad CGI Shrek, so......:awesome:

If Shrek and Goku are 2 and 3, who's number 1?

Number 1
Monkey Fist,

:facepalm:No not that one,This one,

By having his monkey ninjas break into peoples houses and vote for him on the ballot, he was able to surpass Shrek and Goku by a landslide, too bad for him he's not gonna get in, didn't originate in a video game, does he even appear in a video game?, obscure, and Diddy, who was arrested on conspiracy with the monkey king charges, is already in.

I think I did a pretty good job.:troll:

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Does anyone hate it when people say "Smash doesn't need anymore Pokemon/Mario characters."
Seriously, what's the problem with them. They say "They have too many reps"
You know why, because they are the two best selling franchises that Nintendo has and in video game history. That's why they have 6 (Pokemon) 7 (Mario unless you include Yoshi).
It's worse when people say "they have too many 1st gen Pokemon"... like so what? It's one of the most popular generations and the generation that started it all... even if we have :4pikachu::4charizard::4jigglypuff::4mewtwo::squirtle::ivysaur: those detractors would still get hyped if we got 1, 3, or even 10 more 1st gen Pokemon anyway.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
You know, I think I've figured out why Sakurai doesn't make Ridley a fighter in Smash; he's never been given a proper personality in the main Metroid games. Give him a voice and a personality to use in a mainline title and I bet that Sakurai would have an easier time making moves for him if Ridley was actually given personality that can be seen as more than animalistic instinct.

The quote that caused this realization was this;
It’s a pretty logical train of thought for anyone who has been playing games for many years. However, simply thinking about including a character in the game and the act of actually crafting the character and making them work are two entirely different things. It’s quite difficult for me because most players only think about whether a character is in the game and fail to consider the difficulties of bringing that character to life.

How should I bring out the character’s personality? How should I make them move? Can I devise a consistent, comprehensive style for them? What techniques can I come up with to help them stand out from the other fighters? Moreover, do those techniques fit the character and their original game? And, above all, can I make the character fun to play? If I just slap together a moveset, that character wouldn’t be very enjoyable. Conversely, on a big project like this one, there isn’t a lot of time allotted for trial and error when creating characters. I decided on nearly all the types of newcomers I wanted to include at the time of the game’s conception. Pac-Man was of course also present in the game’s incipient stages.
Tha third-to-last sentence is what drives one nail in; time constraints were Ridley's biggest obstacle this time, not so much Sakurai's "bias" or anything. Sakurai wants a good moveset for Ridley before putting him in, and yes we can make our own, but Sakurai is his own man and he'll do what he thinks works for the character.

I'm actually starting to think that the stage hazard role was just a way to put him in the game and not lose the work they'd done on his model, hence why Pyrosphere's Ridley hazard is so awkwardly rigged at points (lower jaw >_>) and more prone to glitches than the other hazard bosses are; it seems more...rushed, more haphazardly done. Almost like he was...shoved into the role as a last resort?

I could totally be reading too far into it, but that's what I'm starting to think.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
@ PushDustIn PushDustIn really awesome stuff you have there. Read through it. The Chrom bit is pretty interesting.

My guess is he had a moveset at the level of something like Roy, but Robin out prioritized him. Knowing the popularity Chrom had, they included him in other parts of the game.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
You know, I think I've figured out why Sakurai doesn't make Ridley a fighter in Smash; he's never been given a proper personality in the main Metroid games. Give him a voice and a personality to use in a mainline title and I bet that Sakurai would have an easier time making moves for him if Ridley was actually given personality that can be seen as more than animalistic instinct.

Tha third-to-last sentence is what drives one nail in; time constraints were Ridley's biggest obstacle this time, not so much Sakurai's "bias" or anything. Sakurai wants a good moveset for Ridley before putting him in, and yes we can make our own, but Sakurai is his own man and he'll do what he thinks works for the character.

I'm actually starting to think that the stage hazard role was just a way to put him in the game and not lose the work they'd done on his model, hence why Pyrosphere's Ridley hazard is so awkwardly rigged at points (lower jaw >_>) and more prone to glitches than the other hazard bosses are; it seems more...rushed, more haphazardly done. Almost like he was...shoved into the role as a last resort?

I could totally be reading too far into it, but that's what I'm starting to think.
Ridley's personality has been subtly shown in the games, especially Other M, and the canonical manga, some playable characters lack personality.

Ridley's moveset would reflect how he fights in Metroid, meaning he's an aggressive brute?

Ridley was teased in 2013, we saw that he was functional in April, Ridley couldn't have been rushed as he's the main Pyrosphere gimmick, if anything, Sakurai was lazy about him.
If Ridley's boss hazard inclusion was last minute to put him in the game, why did the rip Other M's textures? Every Ridley fan would tell you this: They'd rather have no Ridley in Smash 4 period than that thing we got

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
It's worse when people say "they have too many 1st gen Pokemon"... like so what? It's one of the most popular generations and the generation that started it all... even if we have :4pikachu::4charizard::4jigglypuff::4mewtwo::squirtle::ivysaur: those detractors would still get hyped if we got 1, 3, or even 10 more 1st gen Pokemon anyway.
Not to mention Gen 1 was when the Pokemon boon happened, many of the Pokemon are household names and recognised today. A lot of their popularity is permanent and stable whilst many of the later Gens hot topic Pokemon faded from popularity pretty quick.

There are some exceptions obviously; Lucario, Blaziken and Gardevoir being three big ones off the top of my head, but the fleeting popularity of Zoroark, Deoxys and Victini can't really hold a Litwick to the majority of Gen 1 Pokemon's names.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750

You are absolutely correct about personalities. We are working on translating Sakurai's GDC slides, and in there he says personality is the key to making good characters over and over again. If a character is interesting they will get in. If they aren't...(then you have Chrom :()
However the caveat is that they MUST stay true to their game rules. Parameters from their games are carried over in order to best represent that game design as much as possible. Just look at Megaman for clear evidence. (also upcoming translation!!)
I really don't think Sakurai should get so much flake for not including Ridley as a fighter. Between almost putting him in as an AT in Brawl, it's clear that he's really struggling with how to please his fans and keep him true to the source material.

@ PushDustIn PushDustIn really awesome stuff you have there. Read through it. The Chrom bit is pretty interesting.

My guess is he had a moveset at the level of something like Roy, but Robin out prioritized him. Knowing the popularity Chrom had, they included him in other parts of the game.
That's pretty much it. I think he had a moveset mostly like Ike, with Marths recovery. Since he wasn't a clone he couldn't be an alt, but he didn't bring enough personality / uniqueness as a character to warrant a newcomer, non-canon inclusion.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
If I'd be asked how to do Ridley, I'd be able to whip up enough ways to keep him balanced and enjoyable. However, Sakurai isn't me, he thinks differently, my idea is making him pretty damn light and give him attacks that have...violent animations, I admit, Ridley's character is such a contrast to Smash, meaning it's difficult to have him in there, though I believe that as Wolf had a rather brutish moveset, it CAN be done, just not now

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Every Ridley fan would tell you this: They'd rather have no Ridley in Smash 4 period than that thing we got
I'm not saying we should be happy with what we got, I'm just saying that Ridley's role was, judging from it's notable glitches, obviously was not given the same time as, say, Metal Face, Dark Emperor or Yellow Devil, so it was most likely more rushed. Even in the tease, Ridley still looked quite incomplete, and this was only a year before the games release (which is what makes me think Ridley may have been scrapped sometime between the proposal and the Pyrosphere tease).

And the stock icon is also Brawl Ridley, when they could have easily just lopped off the head of the boss portrait and used that, or even just reused the Other M render. It screams of "I'M NOT FINISHED!".

However the caveat is that they MUST stay true to their game rules. Parameters from their games are carried over in order to best represent that game design as much as possible. Just look at Megaman for clear evidence. (also upcoming translation!!)
I really don't think Sakurai should get so much flake for not including Ridley as a fighter. Between almost putting him in as an AT in Brawl, it's clear that he's really struggling with how to please his fans and keep him true to the source material.
Of course, I'm not demonizing Sakurai in any way; the man does a lot for us. It's just that...well, being belittled for opinions tends to make people bitter; and often that bitterness is deflected at someone who, in one way or another, accidentally or not, vindicates the ones doing the belittling and makes them even more pushy with their mocking.

It's a case of coincidence vindicating abuse towards a group of people based on opinion, and some people take that far enough to go well over mocking and into cyber-bullying territory. Sakurai certainly wouldn't condone the abuse of fans based on opinion (the man seems pleasant enough to be around, after all), but the mentality of the meme has become a giant cancerous tumor upon the character's chances because of it's widespread nature. It's sort of the inverse of the Chrom/Robin debates; where a lot of people thought Gematsu was infallible and Chrom was confirmed, only for the inverse to occur (Robin confirmed, Chrom is a Final Smash). Except Ridley didn't get that happy ending. Instead, he was relegated to being an NPC again, which, again, only vindicated the people laughing at the fandom.

Really, we're just bitter at the fanbase, and Sakurai's reasonings being disturbingly similar is rubbing us the wrong way.

Gen 1 Pokemon really are the most popular ones, there was a poll about greatest Pokemon of all-time (it included Gen 6 as well, although no Pokemon from it made to the Top 25), in which all Pokemon in Top 5 were from Gen 1 (Charizard, Mewtwo, Blastoise, Mew and Gengar) and 14 Pokemon in Top 25 were from Gen 1.

EDIT: They also had a poll about worst Pokemon of all-time, in which only one Gen 1 Pokemon (Zubat) made it to the Top 25.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
If Sakurai seriously considered Ridley as a fighter, I think he would have said so, not say he felt he was better as a boss.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I'm not saying we should be happy with what we got, I'm just saying that Ridley's role was, judging from it's notable glitches, obviously was not given the same time as, say, Metal Face, Dark Emperor or Yellow Devil, so it was most likely more rushed. Even in the tease, Ridley still looked quite incomplete, and this was only a year before the games release (which is what makes me think Ridley may have been scrapped sometime between the proposal and the Pyrosphere tease).

And the stock icon is also Brawl Ridley, when they could have easily just lopped off the head of the boss portrait and used that, or even just reused the Other M render. It screams of "I'M NOT FINISHED!".

Of course, I'm not demonizing Sakurai in any way; the man does a lot for us. It's just that...well, being belittled for opinions tends to make people bitter; and often that bitterness is deflected at someone who, in one way or another, accidentally or not, vindicates the ones doing the belittling and makes them even more pushy with their mocking.

It's a case of coincidence vindicating abuse towards a group of people based on opinion, and some people take that far enough to go well over mocking and into cyber-bullying territory. Sakurai certainly wouldn't condone the abuse of fans based on opinion (the man seems pleasant enough to be around, after all), but the mentality of the meme has become a giant cancerous tumor upon the character's chances because of it's widespread nature. It's sort of the inverse of the Chrom/Robin debates; where a lot of people thought Gematsu was infallible and Chrom was confirmed, only for the inverse to occur (Robin confirmed, Chrom is a Final Smash). Except Ridley didn't get that happy ending. Instead, he was relegated to being an NPC again, which, again, only vindicated the people laughing at the fandom.

Really, we're just bitter at the fanbase, and Sakurai's reasonings being disturbingly similar is rubbing us the wrong way.
I think in general there has been a lot of misconceptions with how Sakurai has designed Smash and what he looks for in terms of character design and selection.

However, we must realize that Sakurai can't just throw characters in haphazardly. It would look like a MUGEN rip off, and there would be no theme connecting all the world's. There is a lot of thought that goes into character selection with Sakurai spending ~4 months in Brawl and Smash for 3DS / Wii U just to come up with all the moves.

Personally, I'm a fan of obscure/ one series characters getting into Smash. I was really happy to see The Villager get in because he represents a part of Nintendo that was previously unrepresented (in a fighter role). I think Smash succeeds the best when its really universes clashing. However, I try my best to separate my own bias between what I expect Sakurai to actually do.

I'm sorry that Sakurai's reasoning looks like the meme "Ridley is too big". But Sakurai is a professional game designer.

I really hope I don't come off as a jerk, I'm just trying to explain his rational as best as possible. Since I've read a ton of his Famitsu columns and interviews in Japanese, I'm starting to get a better understanding of how the guy thinks. Of course my interpretation could be totally off, as I'm not him.

The way that various fan bases interact with each other and the whole mentality of "my character >>>> your character" is extremely toxic though. Many fans see character selection as a zero sum game, (almost like the security dilemma! Gives me an idea for a write up :3) which is absolutely not the case. Yes development time and money is limited but just because character A got in doesn't mean character B won't. There's a lot of factors that Sakurai has to balance.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

Metal Face is supposed to give you a point in time matches. They cut that.
Sakurai started on Mewtwo at around October, yes? He was released 6 months later, but with multiple characters. Ridley clearly wasn't rushed but lazily done. Otherwise Ridley wouldn't have been hinted at for more than a year

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
-Inkling
-Bandanna Dee
-Isaac
-Dixie Kong
-King K Rool
-Wolf
-Ice Climbers
-Snake

This is probably the best and most reasonable DLC roster I've seen, and you know what I don't care how care how many charcaters we'd really get I'd really like for this roster to be the case for DLC, and if this being all we'd get, you know what I would take it. I know this is just a speculation character thing but seriously I would love for this to be the DLC roster.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I think it's really unfortunate the Smash fanbase seems to think Sakurai is some crazy ebin man who puts random characters in just for ****s and giggles, and how this justifies their favorite obscure character.

A lot of people like to point fingers at Ice Climbers when it comes to "anything can happen!", even though they're ignoring why the ICs were in Smash to begin with (To rep old NES action games, and because of their gimmick).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom