• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Where have you been? There has not been enough Vaati in my life.
At home, not wanting to use my Wii U for SmashBoards since it's painfully slow. My family isn't home for the rest of the day so I'm just using their laptop for today. I'll get a new laptop whenever I find one that I think is good, which may be a while, due to my lack of knowledge of computers.

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
@ StormC StormC this want chart is outdated anyway, Snake has been rerated a few days ago and is now in the top 10 of want...

...and above everyone besides Wolf and King K. Rool. I think this is another proof of his popularity.
Just saying.

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3
Rosalina was never a good argument against it, however.
Like I said, the leaker listed characters in separate intervals.

Rosalina wasn't in the first interval and was revealed before the second interval, making it redundant to mention her within that interval.
Speaking of Rosalina and Chrom....

Maybe Sakurai added Rosalina instead of adding you know who for the same reason. "Too similar" to Peach.

D

Deleted member

Maybe Sakurai added Rosalina instead of adding you know who for the same reason. "Too similar" to Peach.
I doubt that it was ever a case of Rosalina vs. Daisy like it was with Robin vs. Chrom.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
But James Bond was considered for Melee! That obviously means that every non-video game character is possible! :troll:
I wish that happened so we could have had Bond vs Snake (especially after MGS3 (yeah that was Big Boss not Solid Snake but whatever)).
Also this:

Last edited:

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3
I don't think that you-know-who was even considered.
She was probably never considered...

But one interesting thing of note (that might or might not mean nothing) is the item trophy characters in Smash Tour.

We have Timmy and Tommy, Tetra, Dixie Kong, Proto Man, Magnus, Mecha Fiora, Sonic and the Black Knight (Fire Emblem) and Baseball Daisy.

I know it isn't "in the flesh", but these characters have some form of representation.

Alph Aran

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AlphSquad

It's like no one in the Smash dev team ever knew about the Mario Strikers games.

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3
It's like no one in the Smash dev team ever knew about the Mario Strikers games.
All references to it were completely axed in Smash 4. What's interesting about Brawl's trophies is that Striker Daisy was the only form of Daisy as a trophy. And solo Daisy in Subspace (sticker) was her Striker outfit. Peach's palette swap also outright removed the flower details.

Now this might not mean anything, as she wasn't in the fighter files at all. But it is an interesting tidbit.

Calane

Smash Ace
Snake more likely than Isaac or Bandana Dee? No way.

Sakurai literally said everything from here on out is fanservice and opened a ballot to hear fighter suggestions.

Are we still hung up on "Sakurai is Willy Wonka?" He has made it clear many times he listens to fans and it shows with a lot of his character inclusions. This is nonsense.
Sir, I'm saying that characters that many people want may not happen. That's all I'm saying. Don't be over confident and expect characters to make it, because when it doesn't happen, it hurts. What I'm basically saying is, don't expect your favorites to make it, that way it'll be a good surprise if they do make it, and it won't sting as much if they don't. Sakurai is strange. His idea of "fanservice" is probably the return of Young Link for all I know. Also, many of the "most likely" characters are people I don't want anyway. So either way, I'm going to be disappointed. That's why I gave up on wanting certain characters to make it. What's "fanservice" for you and others may not be "fanservice" for me.

Fanservice for me would be characters like Takamaru, Isaac, Bomberman, and Lip. I doubt really any of them are going to happen or have much of a shot at all. Isaac is the only one that might happen, and I even doubt that.

StormC

Smash Hero
I mean, the logical conclusion from "fanservice" is that he would add the most popular characters which means they would please the most people...and the ballot gives him the opportunity to measure said popularity.

Whether or not you like the popular picks has no real bearing on what most of the population wants. Personally, K. Rool, Snake and Wolf are my top 3 and the rest are all over the place. So if you're just salty that your favorites aren't popular...sorry? That's the nature of the beast with DLC.

Troykv

Smash Master
My personal most wanted characters include Bandana Dee, Adeleine, King K. Rool and Micaiah.

But only one is wanted for everybody.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I really can't see Snake returning anymore, with Kojima leaving Konami. I definitely wouldn't mind seeing him back though, especially as my 2nd most wanted character.

Calane

Smash Ace
I mean, the logical conclusion from "fanservice" is that he would add the most popular characters which means they would please the most people...and the ballot gives him the opportunity to measure said popularity.

Whether or not you like the popular picks has no real bearing on what most of the population wants. Personally, K. Rool, Snake and Wolf are my top 3 and the rest are all over the place. So if you're just salty that your favorites aren't popular...sorry? That's the nature of the beast with DLC.
Wouldn't say I'm "salty", just a little disappointed with some of the character choices. I actually don't care for K. Rool, Snake or Wolf, but I know many people want them. If they happen, I'll be happy for those who wanted them. As for the characters I want? Eh, they'll probably not happen, and that's fine. As long everyone else is reasonably happy, I guess I should be too with whatever the outcome of all this is.

StormC

Smash Hero
Most everyone agrees Isaac is the most likely newcomer after K. Rool so I wouldn't say you have nothing to look forward to.

Calane

Smash Ace
Most everyone agrees Isaac is the most likely newcomer after K. Rool so I wouldn't say you have nothing to look forward to.
It's possible, I suppose. I'm not getting my hopes up, though. In any case, I did get Mega Man in this game, so even if no one else I like makes it, that's at least enough to make me happy when all's said and done.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
See, DLC has to sell, so to overturn an objective measure of "who will sell," aka popularity, the team would need a darn good reason to do so (such as that character being owned by a third party or being Ridley levels of difficult to develop). If a character has none of those obstacles, odds are they won't get snubbed just based on developer preferences. Heck, as much as Sakurai's bias gets (rightly) questioned, he hasn't added "the character he wanted most in Smash 2" even fourteen years later (Mach Rider) nor his favorite Fire Emblem lord in Nabarl (or however you spell it).

Last edited:

Calane

Smash Ace
Yes, because the fact we have a ballot in which people send in characters they truly want to see, Sakurai would think "Better make Young Link playable instead of K.Rool"
In case you couldn't tell, that was a joke. I was saying that Sakurai's "fanservice" might not be what we expect. Or maybe I'm just stupid and Sakurai will grant everyone's wishes and dreams perfectly and we'll all skip happily into the sunset.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
In case you couldn't tell, that was a joke. I was saying that Sakurai's "fanservice" might not be what we expect. Or maybe I'm just stupid and Sakurai will grant everyone's wishes and dreams perfectly and we'll all skip happily into the sunset.
Problem with your statement. Sakurai has access to the ballot results. How would he not know who people want? When he says fanservice, he likely means popular requests, he'd know who these are because of the ballot

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
King K. Rool and Isaac both seem as top contenders this time around. Paper Mario, Bandana Waddle Dee, and Inkling would all make great choices for DLC as well. As long as at least two them end up being playable by Smash DLC's end, I'll be completely content with the wait until Smash 5... Smash 5 with a new director is the only way we're going to get Ridley at this point... Sakurai, you Too Biggot... :urg:

Do people still vote for Shovel Knight and Shantae, by the way? I don't understand the line of thinking behind that. They're third-parties that have only been around since after the millennium, haven't done anything significant to innovate the platforming genre, and have nonexistent support in Japan. They're likeable and have existent fanbases, sure, but do people really think they deserve spots over the other first-party big-names like K. Rool and being grouped in the same batch as gaming icons like Pac-Man, Ryu, and Sonic?

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Do people still vote for Shovel Knight and Shantae, by the way? I don't understand the line of thinking behind that. They're third-parties that have only been around since after the millennium, haven't done anything significant to innovate the platforming genre, and have nonexistent support in Japan. They're likeable and have existent fanbases, sure, but do people really think they deserve spots over the other first-party big-names like K. Rool and being grouped in the same batch as gaming icons like Pac-Man, Ryu, and Sonic?
Shantae is still popular here and there. Shovel Knight support has nearly died down.

But yes, people just want to see their favs in Smash. (Hey, I'd still take Goku.)

Calane

Smash Ace
Problem with your statement. Sakurai has access to the ballot results. How would he not know who people want? When he says fanservice, he likely means popular requests, he'd know who these are because of the ballot
That's true. I'm just not going to fully expect all the most popular characters to make it. Expectations lead to disappointment. For some odd reason, he might not add all the most popular characters, or maybe he will. Either way, I'm not going to act like these popular characters have it in the bag.

I'm just pessimistic, so don't mind me.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
That's true. I'm just not going to fully expect all the most popular characters to make it. Expectations lead to disappointment. For some odd reason, he might not add all the most popular characters, or maybe he will. Either way, I'm not going to act like these popular characters have it in the bag.

I'm just a pessimistic, so don't mind me.
ooooh, that's what you meant! Your wording confused me, I highly doubt that we'll get THE most requested characters, but it makes sense to add them. Being a pessimist can be a good thing, otherwise I wouldn't be able to give the finger to people who called me ******** for saying Chrom wouldn't be playable

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Shantae is still popular here and there. Shovel Knight support has nearly died down.

But yes, people just want to see their favs in Smash. (Hey, I'd still take Goku.)
Just bothers me I guess that people want to use their votes on a third-party who is, for all intents and purposes, more of a fad than they are an icon. The Shantae games are really good, but that doesn't immediately justify putting her in Smash Bros. In terms of representing Nintendo's history and having fundamentally unique gameplay, Shantae doesn't particularly do either as well as the myriad of other options still out there.

We already got Goku, by the way.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Yeah, I don't think Sakurai is just gonna hit a checkmark next to all of the most popular candidates, but ones like K. Rool and Isaac stand as the most likely when you clear out characters who have third party and/or development issues holding them back.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
King K. Rool and Isaac both seem as top contenders this time around. Paper Mario, Bandana Waddle Dee, and Inkling would all make great choices for DLC as well. As long as at least two them end up being playable by Smash DLC's end, I'll be completely content with the wait until Smash 5...Smash 5 with a new director is the only way we're going to get Ridley at this point... Sakurai, you Too Biggot... :urg:
Sakurai is more than just a too bigot, he's a Class A troll.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Sakurai is more than just a too bigot, he's a Class A troll.
And at least Chrom got, "Well we had him planned for a bit but Robin turned out to be more interesting"
All Ridley got was "I felt he worked better as a Boss" no "Well we tried to make him playable but it was difficult"

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
So when looking at represented franchises in Smash, and balancing sales with history, popularity, and impact... is this accurate?

S Tier
Mario

A Tier
Pokemon
Zelda
Wii

B Tier
Donkey Kong
Kirby
Metroid

C Tier
Animal Crossing
Star Fox
Fire Emblem

D Tier
(the rest)

Not necessarily indicative of how they're represented in Smash, but if people were to rank the series' importance, would this be about accurate to y'all?

Wii is kinda a combination of Wii Fit, Miis, and any other miscellaneous Wii brand content.

Alph Aran

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AlphSquad
So when looking at represented franchises in Smash, and balancing sales with history, popularity, and impact... is this accurate?

S Tier
Mario

A Tier
Pokemon
Zelda
Wii

B Tier
Donkey Kong
Kirby
Metroid

C Tier
Animal Crossing
Star Fox
Fire Emblem

D Tier
(the rest)

Not necessarily indicative of how they're represented in Smash, but if people were to rank the series' importance, would this be about accurate to y'all?

Wii is kinda a combination of Wii Fit, Miis, and any other miscellaneous Wii brand content.
About right. I have my own thoughts that Zelda should be right next to Mario, given how much positive attention it repetitively gets from the gaming community/business as a whole.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Honestly I'd put Pokemon as S tier as well. I think it beats Mario in average sales per game and is still head and shoulders above the other A tiers.

StormC

Smash Hero
Animal Crossing should be one tier higher, the franchise has certainly gone up the ranks to Kirby and Metroid with its 4 successful games.
Yeah, Animal Crossing is in kind of a weird place. It's newer than the other series and has less games, but has sold really damn well proportionately. I mostly would place it slightly lower because I don't think the average person would recognize Animal Crossing before Kirby and Metroid (but in Metroid's case that might ironically be because of its inclusion in Smash).

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I'm highly confident that AC is very popular, especially with this being targeted at the casual audience.
It's got 2 spinoffs and 4 main games, I'm highly sure it's well known to most people.

About right. I have my own thoughts that Zelda should be right next to Mario, given how much positive attention it repetitively gets from the gaming community/business as a whole.
Are you the guy who posted the ZSS Gamepad Miiverse drawing. :L
I just saw it recently when I was updating the Miiverse Drawings thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom