• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
This site makes me laugh sometimes.

So, we're here talking about Ryu. Ryu is the main man of Street Fighter. Street Fighter is a famous and long tenured game that has seen success for a very long time. Ryu is a big name video game character, you can't really dispute that.

If Sakurai and Nintendo are going to approach a 3rd party company to use their character, they're not going to pay for some low ball character. They're going to get big name characters that a butt ton of people will recognize. This is, unfortunately for those who support them, where Indie characters and not as well known 3rd parties like Bayonetta and Professor Layton fall. They could get them, sure. But a large portion of people will react with a, "huh?" or , "Who's that?".

That doesn't mean the characters are bad. But it means that there's a big difference in 3rd party characters here. Certain characters just don't stack up. Trying to compare for example, Shovel Knight to Ryu is apples and oranges.

I believe that a big thing with 3rd Parties, that Sakurai has mentioned, is that basically, "3rd parties are interesting because they aren't Nintendo characters". If that's the case, then why is it that people want characters from other companies that are, "Nintendo"? It goes against what they're supposed to be. They're supposed to be taken as "a character from another company". That doesn't mean go super extreme and land Master Chief or Jak and Daxter. But, within the realm of possibility, 3rd parties should be gaming icons. Every 3rd party thus far has shown that. Ryu and Snake fit that just fine. Wasn't a great part about Snake in Smash that he brought parts of his universe with him? It was magical, and something gaming had never seen before. Now people want him to stay out because, "He's not Nintendo". Exactly. He's a character from another company that is super iconic and can add to the All-Star feel.

As far as Snake goes, I really want him back now more than ever. Not only would he add to the all-star 3rd party cast we have, but he would finish off veterans if Wolf comes back too. Obviously, we'd still be missing the 3 Pokemon and the Ice Climbers. But the Ice Climbers have technical hurdles to deal with, and adding 3 more Pokemon as DLC? Ew. As much as I like Pokemon, no thanks. The roster doesn't need 9 Pokemon on it.

But basically, my point is that 3rd Parties aren't meant to be completely affiliated with Nintendo. If Nintendo is going to get a character, they're going to go big or go home. They're not going to spend money on a contract for a character that hasn't made it big in gaming. The 3rd party cast so far shows that.

Not to mention that the third party character that the people want will more than likely will just end up getting disappointed at the end of high hopes. I'm talking about the real impossible ones. Even with the ballot Nintendo and Sakurai aren't going to go out their way for some unrecognizable third party. Third parties shouldn't make someone go "Wait who in the heck is that?" It shouldn't be just for advertising for a certain series, if that's the case then why even bother in the first place? If they already have the name then it shouldn't already be for the advertising, because the name is already out there and are very well known. People don't seem to understand that theirs legal issues when it comes down to third parties. People say its fine cause the creator of that said IP say its okay through Twitter, Tumblr, or Facebook and think it'll work just like that. People are you not aware that some kind of a contract has to be involved when using third party characters? Sakurai said many times that third parties have to be very iconic and classic to make it into the Smash roster. They can't just go for anyone. Third parties are either go big or go home characters.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617

Not sure if this was talked about, but @ Chandeelure Chandeelure said that these were more leaked files by the guy that datamined the Roy and Ryu files. It just says "Mario" a bunch of times, which are more than likely placeholders for the actual characters. So this MIGHT mean we will get at least 5 more unknown DLC characters.
4, one is Paper Mario :)

But I would laugh if it wasn't a joke :)

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I wouldn't mind seeing at least one modern era third party as a playable character instead of just giving the ones from the nineties and eighties the time of day to be honest..... But that's just my opinion...

As for the new data mining info that came today, seems like pretty interesting stuff. Would be interesting to see who else they may have planned for pre-ballot DLC.

Last edited:

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
Not to mention that the third party character that the people want will more than likely will just end up getting disappointed at the end of high hopes. I'm talking about the real impossible ones. Even with the ballot Nintendo and Sakurai aren't going to go out their way for some unrecognizable third party. Third parties shouldn't make someone go "Wait who in the heck is that?" It shouldn't be just for advertising for a certain series, if that's the case then why even bother in the first place? If they already have the name then it shouldn't already be for the advertising, because the name is already out there and are very well known. A lot of fans use the "advertising reason" as an excuse for certain characters. If they use advertising then that means that they're not that big enough of a name by themselves without help from Nintendo or Smash.

People don't seem to understand that theirs legal issues when it comes down to third parties. People say its fine cause the creator of that said IP say its okay through Twitter, Tumblr, or Facebook and think it'll work just like that. People are you not aware that some kind of a contract has to be involved when using third party characters? Sakurai said many times that third parties have to be very iconic and classic to make it into the Smash roster. They can't just go for anyone. Third parties are either go big or go home characters.

Last edited:
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905

Not sure if this was talked about, but @ Chandeelure Chandeelure said that these were more leaked files by the guy that datamined the Roy and Ryu files. It just says "Mario" a bunch of times, which are more than likely placeholders for the actual characters. So this MIGHT mean we will get at least 5 more unknown DLC characters.
I'm guessing that, after Lucas, Roy and Ryu, we'll be getting two newcomers; which might be King K.Rool and maybe Ridley (if Sakurai decides to try again). If not Ridley, than it'll probably be Wolf, and then the elligible character in the Ballot with the most votes outside of those already chosen.

That's if we do get 5 more characters. :p

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

Oh boy, I can't wait until we receive our all time favorite choice for a DK rep. And his name is none other than Brash the Bear. :troll:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
So according to those placeholders... 5 more DLC characters. Lucas, Roy, Isaac, Wolf, and K Rool please
you forgot ryu, so I would put him instead of isaac.

But after....yeah, pretty much it.

Though, if these are really dlc befoe ballot, I think Paper Mario would be most likely. It's clear for me that wolf and kkr goes before...

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
That's probably 5 more DLC characters BEFORE the ballot. Since the ballot would not be considered at this time.

I'd wager the last two are probably Wolf and K. Rool. They'll want a hype new character to release sometime towards the end of the ballot, and they'd most likely announce another character alongside Ryu at E3. Roy, well, we pretty much know when he's getting announced. Lucas has already been announced.

Granted, this doesn't mean we'll get the same number of characters from the ballot. We'd probably still only get 2-3 since, well, most of these characters are veterans, much easier to make. They have a nice amount of characters to release until the ballot closes and a bit after that, then they can release 2-3 ballot characters early next year and that'd likely be the end of DLC.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Who are your guys' essential additions, whether it's for Smash 5 or DLC? Mine are Ridley, K. Rool and Dixie.
The characters I really want the most are:

Toad
Dixie Kong
Tingle
Meowth
Simon Belmont
Captain N
Wandering Heroes (cat/dog/bunny Miis from StreetPass Mii Plaza)

But I'd be happy with the following characters even though I'm not actively supporting them or I'm neutral toward them:

King K. Rool
Ridley
Isaac (or a Golden Sun rep)
Infantry Unit (or an Advance Wars rep)
Inkling
Muddy Mole
Takamaru
Lip
Mike Jones (StarTropics)
Impa
Ganon
King Hippo
Medusa
Waddle Dee
Krystal
Mallo (Pushmo)
Deoxys
Paper Mario
Pauline
Donkey Kong Jr.
Ryu (Street Fighter)
Ryu (Breath of Fire)
Arthur (Ghosts 'n Goblins)
Amaterasu (Okami)
Bomberman
Goemon (The Legend of the Mystical Ninja)
Tails
Knuckles
Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)
Prince of Persia
Rayman
Shantae
Banjo-Kazooie (hopefully based on their N64-era designs)
Quote (Cave Story)
Shovel Knight
Chocobo (or a pre-FF7 Final Fantasy rep)
Slime (or a Dragon Quest rep)
Crono (Chrono Trigger)
Fantasy Life (I love this game!)

I know it's a lot... but I play a lot of games for over 25 years. :awesome:

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
Why is it so uncool to be a Ridley supporter and why doesn't he have his own thread?

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Why is it so uncool to be a Ridley supporter and why doesn't he have his own thread?
A butthurtsplosion happen and it went to ground 0. Aka locked for good.

Last edited:

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I'm more excited about the possible 7 additional stages for the 3DS version. Hot dog.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Who are your guys' essential additions, whether it's for Smash 5 or DLC? Mine are Ridley, K. Rool and Dixie.
1. Brash the Bear
2. Bubsy the Bobcat
3. Big the Cat
4. Monita
5. Lucky Cloe

1. King K. Rool
2. Banjo Kazooie
3. Princess Daisy
4. Medusa
5. Black Mage

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I certainly rather keep Lyn as an AT, I just love when she starts swinging her blade with the combination of "TASTE MY BLADE!"
It's very satisfying.
You like that voice? It's so unfitting for a supposedly 15/18 year old woman.

:231:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
It's fine to be a Ridley supporter. The thread was locked due to his confirmation as a stage boss and that was a bit of.... a touchy subject.... :/
Yes. A touchy subject... it really was a spectacle... never saw so many anal fissures in one place before or after... I think Sakurai was a little too rough if you know what I mean.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
You like that voice? It's so unfitting for a supposedly 15/18 year old woman.

15, just to make sure it's stated. Her age was never explicitly said in the original game but that is what was listed on her Brawl trophy and thus is our canon answer.

...Also she was written in as one of three protagonists in a game that chronologically occured before the previous title despite her character not even so much as being mentioned by name or having any bearing on FE6. It was just kind of a bizarre choice since she ends up dropping off the face of the earth between FE 7 and 6.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
15, just to make sure it's stated. Her age was never explicitly said in the original game but that is what was listed on her Brawl trophy and thus is our canon answer.

...Also she was written in as one of three protagonists in a game that chronologically occured before the previous title despite her character not even so much as being mentioned by name or having any bearing on FE6. It was just kind of a bizarre choice since she ends up dropping off the face of the earth between FE 7 and 6.
I'm pretty sure her age was changed to 18 in the Western release. (And let's be honest, she doesn't doesn't look like a 15 year old at all. :p) The Brawl trophy was a mistake, I believe.

Oh, and I know that . She was specifically created for FE7 with Western audiences in mind, which is why she doesn't even have a passing mention in FE6.

Let's just say that the thread descended into absolute madness and chaos. He does have a group though: Ridley's Mansion

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
So, either we get the three known characters, plus Wolf and some unknown veteran/planned newcomer, with ballot characters to be inserted later, or we get Wolf and a single ballot winner. Interesting.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I'm curious about the "7 additional stages" as well. I still think ALL DLC will be for both versions, though, including stages.

So, either we get the three known characters, plus Wolf and some unknown veteran/planned newcomer, with ballot characters to be inserted later, or we get Wolf and a single ballot winner. Interesting.
I highly doubt its a "single" ballot winner.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
This is a copy-paste from what I said on the leaks thread - which I was about to say here as well -

I had a thought as I recalled someone's Miiverse post regarding All-Star Mode on Wii U. The post purported they were on the last stage where you fight :4mario::4luigi::4littlemac::4dk::4pacman:(If I recall correctly), and far in the background where all the defeated trophies are, it looks like there could be space for potentially 6 more fighters... (rough estimate)

Seeing this, I have a belief that we may see 6 (Mewtwo, Lucas, Ryu, Roy, Wolf and some other guy) characters planned outside the ballot and perhaps 4 from the ballot. (Most likely K. Rool, Isaac and two others) Maybe some food for thought.

Attachments

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I can't wait for the sick twist where Wolf isn't going to be in the game at all, like Mewtwo in the initial release.

You just know it's going to happen.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
I highly doubt its a "single" ballot winner.
It might not even be safe to say a "winner" at all, sakurai could just pick and choose the ideas out of those he finds interesting. Odds are extremely high we will never know the number results, and with sakurai being sakurai he could do whatever he wants with it. I dont think we should get our hopes up that its gonna just be "most votes, gets in", it will help get notice for sure, so thats the best it can do right now. We'd be lucky to get more then two based on the ballot

I think ryu and roy may be the last 2 we get this year honestly, till they work on any after for next year.

Last edited:

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Hm with this info things certainly get interesting, i would hope those place holders are pre-ballot, so when they add 2-3 from the ballot, most people would be satisfied.

If not, I expect alot of salt, godspeed mods if thats indeed the case.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
the most likely choices in my mind are wolf and chorus kids.Then were probably getting k rool and isaac and the other ballot picks later down the road

D

Deleted member

Too many third party debate around here...
If we get 2 third party characters after ryu will be already a miracle.
Exactly. We'll be lucky to even get Snake back, let alone a second third-party newcomer after Ryu. Third-party supporters of potential newcomers should support characters under the expectations that they're trying to build a fan base for inclusion in a proper Smash 6 because I doubt there will be anymore third-party newcomers like Mega Man this game.
Bandana Dee 100% Confirmation. :yeahboi:
I would totally be okay with this. Beside, a spear user would be pretty neat.
For me personally? Well I do need to see Roy and Ryu come to fruition if only because I don't want Sakurai to scrap DLC characters (not that I would expect him to). Other than that, there's no one else that is essential to me thought I am heavily pushing King K. Rool (if only because he's the last newcomer I want that could realistically be DLC).

Although what's also essential for me is that if they pass off a character as being voted from the ballot, they actually have to be popular suggestions. I'm not saying they have to be #1 since I'm aware that doesn't mean the character wins a spot as DLC, but I think it's reasonable to expect that one of King K. Rool, Isaac, Snake, or Dixie Kong gets in as DLC (Inklings as well if they're announced as DLC after the point where they wouldn't be blatant promotion for Splatoon).

Very, very interesting indeed if true.

According to the data, Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy, and Ryu are in. Wolf is almost certainly in here as well, which leaves one last newcomer. It's probably a scrapped newcomer, but what if Isaac was actually held back to sell as DLC? It makes sense to assume that's what happened to Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy, and probably Wolf. Isaac was among the Top 10 most wanted characters pre-Brawl according to observations from @ChronoBound (and even before E3 2006 he said this) so he likely scored very well in the same poll that got Sonic in Brawl and Mega Man in SSB 3DS & Wii U (yes that same poll). It's worth noting that Ridley and King K. Rool probably would have paled in comparison due to Ridley not being all that popular in Japan and at the time of the poll (2006), we had not seen Diddy confirmed yet and people were rallying behind him at the time. I can only think of Isaac as a newcomer that would have done really well and still haven't made the roster yet. But we'll see when the sixth character gets announced. Personally I would love to see it's King K. Rool just so that my last realistic hope gets fulfilled as soon as possible, but I really do think that it'll be Dixie Kong if a DK character was planned by now. If she does happen, we probably won't be seeing King K. Rool until Smash 5. Pichu I feel also has an outside chance of being that sixth character. But should they actually get the Ice Climber to work, it's them.

Also I don't think the last spot is the ballot character; I highly doubt we're getting just one from the ballot given that it is lasting six months overall. Six characters being planned before the ballot and 2-3 characters later on is much more likely.

Last edited by a moderator:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So... quick tally everyone.

Do you think we'll get...

1. Six characters total, including the ballot character?

2. More than six as these characters were chosen before the ballot?

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]

Option 2 my swampazard overlord! (Least i hope its 2, cause then like i said before... salt)

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
This six character thing should come as no surprise, I mean the website itself is suggesting at least 4 more characters past Mewtwo and Lucas. Whether this accounts the the ballot or not is to be the major issue here.

My gut says no, since it seems too early for them to be using it as a reference if they wanted to keep it open till October. So I guess your second option Swamp. Unless the ballot is just a way to find out if people are going to want to buy the characters they already decided that they were going to make.

D

Deleted member

I can't see us getting just one ballot character at this point, especially when it is going on for six months. Two to three characters seems more reasonable to me. Plus I have a hard time imagining just six when we have a second Capcom character and a fifth Fire Emblem character probably joining the roster.

Eight to nine characters is what I expect.

Last edited by a moderator:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

We already have 4 characters in development pre-ballot, and I think the ballot will probably give us 3 characters. So more than 6, yeah.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think Mewtwo's balance is a good indication to see how much they where working on in the time they where so called 'only working on Mewtwo'. Just maybe, maybe Mewtwo being horrible yet again is a good thing. In a way that they didn't give his balance propper time because they where working on a lot of different things.

Yes, I still think Mewtwo is real bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom