• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
I am honestly not confident with Wolf being in SSB4... why would Fox have a move named after Wolf instead of "Diagonal Fox Illusion"? I mean, does Ness even have a move named after Lucas?
Why on earth would this matter? It was a move that belonged to Wolf before it was given to Fox as a custom, of course it's still going to be called Wolf Flash, that's the name of the move. It's a simple name, it does nothing to Wolf's chances, as other characters have customs that mimic existing characters moves. (Like Mario and Luigi) Same as how PK Freeze is still PK Freeze, it's still Lucas's move, changing the name to "Lucas Freeze" would do absolutely nothing to Lucas's chances.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Why on earth would this matter? It was a move that belonged to Wolf before it was given to Fox as a custom, of course it's still going to be called Wolf Flash, that's the name of the move. It's a simple name, it does nothing to Wolf's chances, as other characters have customs that mimic existing characters moves. (Like Mario and Luigi) Same as how PK Freeze is still PK Freeze, it's still Lucas's move, changing the name to "Lucas Freeze" would do absolutely nothing to Lucas's chances.
Exactly, the game is starting to get hacked, it may not be long now, also there are now 900 Wolf supporters on the thread.:colorful:(there would be more if Slippy hadn't crashed my computer:glare:)

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Brawl Lucas = Custom Ness

PK Freeze = PK Freeze
PK Fire = PK Fire Burst
PK Thunder = Lasting PK Thunder
PSI Magnet = Forward PSI Magnet

They didn't mind renaming Lucas's moves... so why not rename Wolf Flash "Fox Flash"?

Also, there's also that they used Wolf's Assault look instead of his Brawl look for his SSB4 trophy and Star Fox codecs. Of the cut Nintendo characters, they seem to reuse the Brawl models for Squirtle, Ivysaur, Pokemon Trainer, Lucas, and Ice Climbers in SSB4... but not Wolf.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere

PK Freeze = PK Freeze
PK Fire = PK Fire Burst

They didn't mind renaming Lucas's moves... so why not rename Wolf Flash "Fox Flash"?

Also, there's also that they used Wolf's Assault look instead of his Brawl look for his SSB4 trophy and Star Fox codecs. Of the cut Nintendo characters, they seem to reuse the Brawl models for Squirtle, Ivysaur, Pokemon Trainer, Lucas, and Ice Climbers in SSB4... but not Wolf.
It could be a last minute placeholder model. Besides that Wolf model is ugly and insulting and must be rectified with a playable Wolf in smash bros Wii U/3DS. (We are only 99 supporters away from 1000) Mewtwo's current trophy looks less detailed than the 50 facts model we saw.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970

PK Freeze = PK Freeze
PK Fire = PK Fire Burst

Because Lucas's moves had the same names as Ness's moves in Brawl, of course they had to change them. :laugh:

And to the second, I ask again, why does this matter? They used the Assault Model for Wolf, they also have the Assault model for every other Star Fox character as a trophy, it was probably just for consistencies sake, none of the other veterans have a situation like that. As for the codecs, it was probably changed due to the fact that Wolf is no longer playable, simple as that.

It could be a last minute placeholder model. Besides that Wolf model is ugly and insulting and must be rectified with a playable Wolf in smash bros Wii U/3DS. (We are only 99 supporters away from 1000) Mewtwo's current trophy looks less detailed than the 50 facts model we saw.
No offense, but you'll have to get into the tens, if not hundreds of thousands before Nintendo actually starts caring, and even then it probably doesn't matter. Wolf is a veteran of Smash Bros from a series getting rebooted, they realize he's got fans.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Because Lucas's moves had the same names as Ness's moves in Brawl, of course they had to change them. :laugh:

And to the second, I ask again, why does this matter? They used the Assault Model for Wolf, they also have the Assault model for every other Star Fox character as a trophy, it was probably just for consistencies sake, none of the other veterans have a situation like that. As for the codecs, it was probably changed due to the fact that Wolf is no longer playable, simple as that.

No offense, but you'll have to get into the tens, if not hundreds of thousands before Nintendo actually starts caring, and even then it probably doesn't matter. Wolf is a veteran of Smash Bros from a series getting rebooted, they realize he's got fans.
I'm just bummed cause my computer crashed midway while I was getting supporters. 1000 would be a nice mile marker though, it helps boost morale and attract more supporters. I'm hoping that we can get people to request him at Apex, since Nintendo is sponsoring the event. If all the competitors said on many live broadcasts " I want Wolf playable in Super Smash Bros for Wii U and Super Smash Bros for 3DS as his own playable character" that would send the message across much louder. Its hard to wait, especially without pic of the day.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Do these really look like Brawl models? What they did with cut veteran trophies was if the character had a good 3D model outside of Brawl they used that model, if they didn't then they just stick with their Brawl model.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Do these really look like Brawl models? What they did with cut veteran trophies was if the character had a good 3D model outside of Brawl they used that model, if they didn't then they just stick with their Brawl model.
Squirtle, Ivysaur, and current Mewtwo look decent, Wolf... the 3ds model look hideous, considering I've noticed numerous graphicle errors with it, the Wii U one isn't exactly great, considering its plagued with its codec counterpart. Lucas and Ice Climbers however look like they're from brawl.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Squirtle, Ivysaur, and current Mewtwo look decent, Wolf... the 3ds model look hideous, considering I've noticed numerous graphicle errors with it, the Wii U one isn't exactly great, considering its plagued with its codec counterpart. Lucas and Ice Climbers however look like they're from brawl.
What do you mean when you keep stating things like this, "codec counterpart?"

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Those are the Pokedex 3D Pro models.
Lucas, Wolf, Pokemon Trainer, and the Climbers didn't get any models since Brawl, so they use Brawl's models (with texture changes).

mark welford

Smash Ace
Exactly, the game is starting to get hacked, it may not be long now, also there are now 900 Wolf supporters on the thread.:colorful:(there would be more if Slippy hadn't crashed my computer:glare:)
I knew we could do it. Now if we could take a bigger but harder step at Apex. May I see the list of supporters? And did you gather some from other websites?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

PK Freeze = PK Freeze
PK Fire = PK Fire Burst

Man, I'd easily trade :4darkpit::4drmario::4lucina: and also :4mii::4wiifit: for :wolf: any day of the week!

Am still hoping for Lucas though...

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I wouldn't trade anybody for anybody.

Not trying to promote a sense of moral superiority here, I'm just genuinely content with what we have and would not want to incense any fans, in all fairness.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'm pretty sure cutting Dark Pit, Lucina, Dr. Mario, and Mii Swordfighter wouldn't free up enough resources to add Wolf.
:wolf: was probably the last character added to Brawl. I think with how little time they had after Brawl got delayed, that those exact sacrifices would indeed give them enough time and resources for Wolf. They can take away Smash Tour to if they feel like. I doubt that I'd ever play that.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
:wolf: was probably the last character added to Brawl. I think with how little time they had after Brawl got delayed, that those exact sacrifices would indeed give them enough time and resources for Wolf. They can take away Smash Tour to if they feel like. I doubt that I'd ever play that.
Now THAT is a much better compromise. I hate any mode that randomly decides who I get to play as >_>

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
Only part of the game which I despise. Still, I wonder if they could complete Wolf and Lucas in the time it took for Smash Tour.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Only part of the game which I despise. Still, I wonder if they could complete Wolf and Lucas in the time it took for Smash Tour.
They'd probably give the priority to Mewtwo, but I think it's a fair assumption that if we didn't have Smash Tour, the clones and the Miis we'd have Mewtwo. And quite possibly either Wolf or Lucas.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The only thing I liked about Smash Tour is the final battle where each player plays with several characters. You know what I'm talking about, right?

:4bowser::4luigi::4mario::4peach:vs.:4ganondorf::4link::4sheik::4zelda:vs.:4charizard::4greninja::4lucario::4pikachu:vs.:4myfriends::4lucina::4marth::4robinm:

THAT should be a new Vs. mode along with Smash, Special Smash, and 8-Player Smash. I would call it Royal Smash (named after "battle royale" and of course WWE's Royal Rumble).

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
The only thing I liked about Smash Tour is the final battle where each player plays with several characters. You know what I'm talking about, right?

:4bowser::4luigi::4mario::4peach:vs.:4ganondorf::4link::4sheik::4zelda:vs.:4charizard::4greninja::4lucario::4pikachu:vs.:4myfriends::4lucina::4marth::4robinm:

THAT should be a new Vs. mode along with Smash, Special Smash, and 8-Player Smash. I would call it Royal Smash (named after "battle royale" and of course WWE's Royal Rumble).
That mode is great. I'd love that idea... as a mode you can play as normally. Smash Tour is just horrendous.

Honestly, all of the subevents in Smash Run are basically the same thing. Why can't the Jump and Run modes be usable normally?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Those are the Pokedex 3D Pro models.
Lucas, Wolf, Pokemon Trainer, and the Climbers didn't get any models since Brawl, so they use Brawl's models (with texture changes).
Wolf uses his model from Assault.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
Yeah, but they are saying THAT model is hideous and is disrespectful to Wolf and his fans... and that can only be rectified with a playable Wolf.
To be fair, it is a downgrade from his Brawl model. Why they didn't use that model instead of his Assault model is honestly beyond me.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
To be fair, it is a downgrade from his Brawl model. Why they didn't use that model instead of his Assault model is honestly beyond me.
Because Wolf is not playable.

Yay for circular reasoning. :troll:

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
Because Wolf is not playable.

Yay for circular reasoning. :troll:
Lucas if I am not mistaken used his Brawl model. You could argue that he had no other usable 3D model, except the Earthbound 64 one (which was horrendous anyway), but it still highlights the fact that Brawl models can be used for cut characters and I would argue that his Brawl model was after Assault and superior to his Assault model.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Lucas if I am not mistaken used his Brawl model. You could argue that he had no other usable 3D model, except the Earthbound 64 one (which was horrendous anyway), but it still highlights the fact that Brawl models can be used for cut characters and I would argue that his Brawl model was after Assault and superior to his Assault model.
Most Smash models are superior to original game models anyway.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
His Brawl model is a redesign. They probably wanted a canon design from the actual games for a trophy, I guess

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It's because Wolf actually has a decent 3D model to use, like Squirtle and Ivysaur.

Lucas, Ice Climbers and Pokemon Trainer did not, so they had to use Smash models.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Yeah, but they are saying THAT model is hideous and is disrespectful to Wolf and his fans... and that can only be rectified with a playable Wolf.
bad fur texture, not a very appealing color, his smile looks really bad, some inconsistancies ex. his left palm is jagged and looks really bad, on the 3ds his right eye sometimes disappears when tilting his trophy, his vest is miscolored next to the left side of his head. It just seems like a rushed model, plus the big disgrace is the codecs, saying the same things he said when he was playable, even being hinted at being playable, only he isn't. What if New Pork returned,but not Lucas, What if Squirtle and Ivysaur were Pokeballs, what if summit came back,but not Ice Climbers.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
bad fur texture, not a very appealing color, his smile looks really bad, some inconsistancies ex. his left palm is jagged and looks really bad, on the 3ds his right eye sometimes disappears when tilting his trophy, his vest is miscolored next to the left side of his head. It just seems like a rushed model, plus the big disgrace is the codecs, saying the same things he said when he was playable, even being hinted at being playable, only he isn't. What if New Pork returned,but not Lucas, What if Squirtle and Ivysaur were Pokeballs, what if summit came back,but not Ice Climbers.
The model is from Assault, unless you're claiming that his appearance in that game was also disrespectful and rushed.

For the codecs, why on earth would they change them? They already have all the existing conversations, why would they redo them, that's a waste of precious development time.

What if Charizard got split into his own character, but Squirtle and Ivysaur got cut? What if Lucas and Ice Climbers were cut, but the music from their games was kept? What if any cut veteran was kept in the game as a trophy, even though they weren't playable? Wolf isn't some sort of special case in this regard.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I'm pretty sure they didn't care about the model qualities when they picked the trophies.

Like who would even care about the texture quality and polygon count of a trophy

Last edited:

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
The model is from Assault, unless you're claiming that his appearance in that game was also disrespectful and rushed.

For the codecs, why on earth would they change them? They already have all the existing conversations, why would they redo them, that's a waste of precious development time.

What if Charizard got split into his own character, but Squirtle and Ivysaur got cut? What if Lucas and Ice Climbers were cut, but the music from their games was kept? What if any cut veteran was kept in the game as a trophy, even though they weren't playable? Wolf isn't some sort of special case in this regard.
The model is BASED on his Assault look, its not actually from assault.

Assault end credits,

Brawl codec,

Smash Wii U codec,
The codec is flat out displaying on stage that Wolf was downgraded. A public humiliation, like Wolf being taken out of a dungeon, and placed in a stockade, where the townsfolk can mock him and throw rotten food at him, while the other cut characters remain in the dungeon, locked away. This may not have been the intended purpose, but its the way some fans see it.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
The model is BASED on his Assault look, its not actually from assault.

Assault end credits,

Brawl codec,

Smash Wii U codec,
The codec is flat out displaying on stage that Wolf was downgraded. A public humiliation, like Wolf being taken out of a dungeon, and placed in a stockade, where the townsfolk can mock him and throw rotten food at him, while the other cut characters remain in the dungeon, locked away. This may not have been the intended purpose, but its the way some fans see it.
Nope, it's definitely the Assault model. Only difference is his earpiece/eyepatch thing being on the other side of his face, and the fur textures being slightly less detailed. (Why they did that I have no idea, bit of a waste of time. Well... time as in the 2 minutes it would have taken to do it :p ) The trophy is the same quality and style as the other Assault character trophies.

And I mean this with no disrespect, but I was almost crying from laughter at that ridiculous description. Of the Smash fanbase, most people probably don't even know about that codec. And even then, you have to use it at a specific part of the stage to see Wolf. And even THEN, the majority of people don't care about the model being changed. It was changed because Wolf is no longer playable, which everybody playing the game already knew. It's not some public display of "Oh, here's this character that used to be playable, but now he's not! Sucks to be fans of this character!" It's an Easter Egg. Something that, by definition, is hidden in the game.

Wolf being in the codecs is nothing special, I could make your exact same argument about every veteran character that was a trophy. You may think that some fans feel that veeeeerrrrrry specific way about Wolf, and to be fair you are probably right. But I could probably count the number of those fans on my fingers. Most people don't, most people who want Wolf want him back because he's a veteran, he was fun to play as in the past, not because it's a "Public humiliation towards his character".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom