• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me

This is why I want Bandana Dee as a playable character.

If we get him as a playable character, there is a chance that we might get a Rainbow Curse stage to go along with it. COULD YOU IMAGINE HOW NICE THAT WOULD BE?
I would not mind Bandana Dee and all that, but we're pretty much guaranteed Rainbow Curse representation either way.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
If I had to pick, I'd pick the veterans. I enjoyed playing as Lucas and Wolf, and I'd only really want to play as Isaac out of those newcomers.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
I guess Isaac's the only reason I picked the 2nd pack. Never was attached to the Ice Climbers, Wolf or Lucas.

Now if only that pack had K. Rool instead of Dixie, Isaac, and someone from Advance Wars instead of Chorus Kids, I would have absolutely no doubt in my choice.

Hopeful we get both though, the veterans have their own place after all.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I'd pick the veterans.
Dixie Kong is already a smash tour item, and I'm thinking the chorus men were originally planned, but had the same programming difficulties as the Ice Climbers.
Can you elaborate on how making the jump from trophy to character is possible, but being a minor feature in a minor mode that's connected to a trophy anyway is not?

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
Because Smash Tour also has fighter icons that can be picked up that ARENT assist items.
And this prevents it how? Replacing Dixie Kong in Smash Tour would be extremely easy, she gives the fighter an extra jump, there are plenty of Smash Bros trophies that they could swap her with.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
And this prevents it how? Replacing Dixie Kong in Smash Tour would be extremely easy, she gives the fighter an extra jump, there are plenty of Smash Bros trophies that they could swap her with.
I don't doubt you're reasoning at all, I just doubt Sakurai would really go through the trouble, that's all.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
No matter what the three newcomers would be, I would choose them over any combination of possible returning veterans.

D

Deleted member

Just swap Dixie with Tiny if she's DLC. No harm no foul.

It's not like replacing an Assist like some want to believe may happen.

Last edited by a moderator:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
As far as those three veterans or those three newcomers, I'd take the newcomers any day. I kinda liked Wolf, but Lucas and Ice Climbers? Not really.

I don't care about Chorus Kids at all, I don't think they were EVER considered, and I don't think they'll ever happen. Dixie and Isaac would sell it for me (even though I'd prefer K. Rool to Dixie by a large margin, I do want both Dixie and K. Rool).

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I don't doubt you're reasoning at all, I just doubt Sakurai would really go through the trouble, that's all.
Replacing an actual trophy takes effort.

But that clearly isn't an issue.

This is an absolutely minor detail. If they want to make Dixie playable, this isn't going to stop them.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
As far as those three veterans or those three newcomers, I'd take the newcomers any day. I kinda liked Wolf, but Lucas and Ice Climbers? Not really.

I don't care about Chorus Kids at all, I don't think they were EVER considered, and I don't think they'll ever happen. Dixie and Isaac would sell it for me (even though I'd prefer K. Rool to Dixie by a large margin, I do want both Dixie and K. Rool).
I have an honest question for you.

What did you think of the chorus kids around the time of Gematsu? Do you ever consider that Gematsu was right all along but at the same time outdated? The Chorus Kids could've had the same programming problem as the Ice Climbers.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
People think it's so clever to put "why not both?" when the point of the question is you can only pick one.

As if everyone wouldn't choose that option. :rolleyes:

D

Deleted member

Seriously trying to figure out if you're just stating the fact or indirectly taking a jab at me/others.
Stating a fact.
-Cliff believes swapping Dixie with another trophy for the Smash Run item is a similar situation to swapping out something like an Assist.
-There are some (including you) that would argue that indeed they would be the same, but in the sense that they are both feasible as opposed to Cliff's notion that they are equally unfeasible.
-I'm stating that the cases are too distinct to be comparable. They are not equally feasible or unfeasible.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
And in a page, (though not a notable surveyed sample), we see that even on Smash Boards, veterans are not the clear option.
Extend the pick to outside the walls of the regular Smash-posters and I wonder how veterans could even have a chance at fairing.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
And in a page, (though not a notable surveyed sample), we see that even on Smash Boards, veterans are not the clear option.
Extend the pick to outside the walls of the regular Smash-posters and I wonder how veterans could even have a chance at fairing.
You do realize your sample size is nine people, four of whom said veterans, one of whom said they didn't really care, and all of whom actually know who Chorus Kids and Isaac are.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
Would you want: Wolf, Lucas, Ice Climbers
or would you want: Dixie, Isaac, Chorus Kids
as DLC's.
Veterans. 100% all the way. Not saying I wouldn't want the newcomers, but those three I want back. (Lucas the most)

You do realize your sample size is nine people, four of whom said veterans, one of whom said they didn't really care, and all of whom actually know who Chorus Kids and Isaac are.
Blame school for my lack of an earlier response. 5-4-1, veterans.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
http://www.gonintendo.com/s/245654-...ject-masuda-open-to-pokemon-warriors-spin-off
The following comes from Koei Tecmo Executive Vice President Hisashi Koinuma...

- thinks the Mario idea could actually work
- sees Mario as a character that would need to branch out from hand-to-hand combat
- game could focus on his distinctive moves
- Mario could "blast enemies off the screen or knock them unconscious"
- game would be balanced so the kids could enjoy it as their first action game experience
- adults could enjoy the game with friends and families as a group

The following comes from Pokemon Producer Junichi Masuda

- open to a Warriors spin-off game if it wasn't too violent
- could work if the player threw out a lot of Pokeballs
- would need a new form of gameplay so as to not feel too familiar
Soon, Waluigi will really gain significance to the Mario series that he needs. :troll:

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Veterans. 100% all the way. Not saying I wouldn't want the newcomers, but those three I want back. (Lucas the most)
Blame school for my lack of an earlier response. 5-4-1, veterans.
Personally I would choose newcomers solely for Isaac.

If he wasn't there I'd go with veterans for Wolf.

So I guess it'd be 5-5-1.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Another thing worth noting is that the three veterans in question don't include Mewtwo.

If he was one of the three veterans chances are the split would be much more pronounced.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Well, Mewtwo is not included because people are already getting him.

I am interested in the split among people who think more DLC will happen. Do you rather what you know or the unexpected?

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

I am interested in the split among people who think more DLC will happen. Do you rather what you know or the unexpected?
Yeah I get why you didn't include him, my response was for DukeNapoleon who asserted that people clearly want newcomers more based on their answers when the veteran choice didn't even include the most popular veteran, and most requested character in general.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Just an aside: Mewtwo is a very interesting case in which he was cut from Brawl and remained gone from the initial Smash 4 roster. I wonder if he will be remade in a way where he feels like a newcomer.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

Unexpected definitely.
If all we got was Mewtwo, a DK newcomer, Isaac, Inklings etc. I would be let down. I love surprise.
And every surprise we got in SSB4 was great. Robin, Mega Man, Duck Hunt, Wii Fit Trainer...

D

Deleted member

I'd rather a mix of the expected and the unexpected.
Too much of one side isn't appealing.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Am really not expecting too many character DLC yet, outside of :popo: and :wolf:. If I see :lucas:back, I think I will have faith in more character DLC. I wouldn't even be upset with more clones, or semi-clones, or characters as alts. For example, various Fire Emblem Lords for :4marth: and :4myfriends:. :younglinkmelee: for :4tlink:. Louie for :4olimar:. Hell, I'd even take Impa for :4sheik: if that what it takes to get her in.

NachoOfCheese

Smash Ace
NNID
NachoOfCheese
Ice Climbers were fully functional on the WiiU version (Sakurai said it himself), but not 3DS, so I doubt their return the most. THIS guy :wolf: however, had a pretty damn original moveset, and with Star Fox 2015 being a thing, perhaps he's relevant? There's the possibility that he doesn't make an appearance in it, but still.
And :lucas:. Not gonna lie, I like Lucas (like all his A moves are totally different from Ness), but I'm not sure. Ness stole his specials so I don't have a lot of hope for him.
Not to sound bleak, but I don't have a lot of hope for future DLC to begin with. Depends on how much money they make from Mewtwo.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
Ice Climbers were fully functional on the WiiU version (Sakurai said it himself), but not 3DS, so I doubt their return the most. THIS guy :wolf: however, had a pretty damn original moveset, and with Star Fox 2015 being a thing, perhaps he's relevant? There's the possibility that he doesn't make an appearance in it, but still.
And :lucas:. Not gonna lie, I like Lucas (like all his A moves are totally different from Ness), but I'm not sure. Ness stole his specials so I don't have a lot of hope for him.
Not to sound bleak, but I don't have a lot of hope for future DLC to begin with. Depends on how much money they make from Mewtwo.
You can't use custom movesets on FG or FF and Lucas custom moves on Ness are honestly useless (except for maybe PKT). If anything, Lucas would be doomed by lack of relevancy and hailing from a small series that is finished, not that.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I
Mewtwo's success can't solely be based on how many people only have one version of the game and buy him separately. That would be far too specific. They'll probably look at online results to see how much he is used, how many people bought both versions, etc.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I would not mind Bandana Dee and all that, but we're pretty much guaranteed Rainbow Curse representation either way.
Not really... we didn't get anything from Kirby's Epic Yarn nor Kirby's Return to Dream Land (both Wii games)... instead we got Dream Land (from the original Game Boy game) and The Great Cave Offensive (from the SNES game).

Sakurai is really biased towards his own Kirby games and he seems to not acknowledge the existence of Kirby games that he didn't work on.

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/245654-...ject-masuda-open-to-pokemon-warriors-spin-off

Soon, Waluigi will really gain significance to the Mario series that he needs. :troll:
Don't forget Daisy, Birdo, Baby Mario, Kamek, Donkey Kong Jr.... oy vey!

At least Toad will keep up his his significance.

I would love Pokemon Warriors... especially if Meowth is playable.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Why do you think Strider and Mega Man X and Venom and Gambit were the most requested characters for UMvC3?
fixed :p When it comes to whether people want veterans or newcomers I think a lot of it comes down to who they are. I just wish Nintendo would make a poll asking what characters we'd want to see as DLC for Smash, like Capcom did for MVC3.

D

Deleted member

Many more than those who will.
It'd be a fair thing to say that a majority who actually care enough about the Mewtwo DLC already have both games or are planning on getting both before the promotional period ends.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Not really... we didn't get anything from Kirby's Epic Yarn nor Kirby's Return to Dream Land (both Wii games)... instead we got Dream Land (from the original Game Boy game) and The Great Cave Offensive (from the SNES game).

Sakurai is really biased towards his own Kirby games and he seems to not acknowledge the existence of Kirby games that he didn't work on.
I know it's been a thing with sakurai to ignore recent successes in Kirby lately, but it's my personal opinion that this charade will end sooner or later.

We probably didn't get anything from Epic Yarn because the Woolly World stage probably stole a bit of it's thunder. But a clay based game like Rainbow Curse looks pretty much unmatched throughout the world of Nintendo.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ice Climbers were fully functional on the WiiU version (Sakurai said it himself), but not 3DS, so I doubt their return the most.
How would you doubt them if they where fully fuctional? Thus had their complete moveset finished. Yes, am pretty sure we are gonna see Ice Climbers back. :popo:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom