• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niala

Smash Ace
Stupid question: The characters we've seen so far will be available from the start in addition to unlockables who won't be announced, right?
We don't know for sure yet. The characters on the website minus Lucina were all available openly in the demo, but that doesn't necessarily mean that's the starting roster.

Although it appears that's the case, for sure.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
As much as I'd like to see Mach Rider, I don't think it's happening. Also, I was shaky on Ridley's inclusion ever since that PotD. You all are the ones that convinced me that he has a huge chance. :troll:

I am looking at you @ Morbi Morbi :evil:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
There's so much love in this thread today:love:
Its amazing!
Now its time for me to spread the love

My favorite moment was during the reveal that will go down in history...PAC-MAN!!!
The pacman thread was a celebration that day.
When thought all hope was lost after the e3, and prepared to call it a night, I noticed a message on the pacman thread that said "Pacman confirmed! " I was shocked, and skeptical, until I saw it ll over the place, nintendo Twitter just revealed pacman!!! I jumped all around the house, did the worm on the floor, and had a mini seizure on my bed XD. I finally saw him after 10 min of waiting, and there he was in Glorius 3d classic form. The trailer was magic. I was in tears as I saw pacman chomping away at characters with Pacman' s signature theme in the background. Pacack was having a seizure on the keyboard lmao, and ever pac supporter was going nuts in the thread. It all happened so fast. My childhood favorite, made it in smash. Beautiful.

Anywho, I wanna give a shout out to my fellow pac-supporter bros that I went through this crazy ride with.

Wall of love text in 3...2...1...

@Pacack : your love and connection to pac-man is amazing man. You have a good heart and always kept the pacman thread live with your humor happy-go-lucky attitude. A true friend to the end. Me and you were some of the loudest and most enthusiastic supporters!
:rotfl:

@BridgesWithTurtles your skepticism of pac-man's inclusion was off-putting at first, but your true care for the character and his inclusion always shined through (especially when he was revealed :laugh:). You had the best reasons for pacman's inclusion, and always treated us pac-supporters and the detractors with the same amount of kindness.

@Bauske An old school Pac-man fan with a love for his old and new school incarnations. Your friendly attitude and enthusiasm were always refreshing. Your knowledge on Pacman surpasses even mine 0_o . I also really liked how you could keep a cool head during a Pac-Man inclusion argument.

@CyberWolfJV TheGuy07 A newer member to the pac-fan crew, but we quickly discovered how much you loved him. Your optimism towards his inclusion was always so contagious:laugh:. I also like how you have no problems with the new pacman. That takes some dedication.

@Smash Daddy The OP of the Pacman thread and an awesome one at that. Your care for the character kept our thread alive, and you were always there for the good and bad times of the thread. Even though you didn't know as much about the character as some of us, you were always very supportive of the character. And you really helped me with the technicalities of my Pacman movesets.

@8-peacock-8 One of the first members I met on the forums. As a klonoa and Pac-supporter, you saw both sides of the conflict and maintained your love and support for both (even though it was mostly lloyd supporters that didn't like us). Your hilarious personality helped to lighten the thread even more.

@ JamesDNaux JamesDNaux
How did I forget? You always stood up for the idea of pac in smash, and stressed how deserving he was of a spot. You may not have had as much of a personal connection to pacman as me and some of the other supporters, but the amount of compassion you have for the character would suggest otherwise. Your snarky attitude also made the thread a lot more lighthearted :estatic:.

@BluePikmin11
Your hipster roster choices and unique ideas added pizazz to the pacman thread. You were one of the first to realize the Moveset potential that pacman had, and always helped to pitch in a cool idea that would help us visualize how the pac would work.

@Arcadenik last but not least, probably the most jolly person in the entire pac-supporter community :grin:. You never failed to keep our spirits up, and never gave up on Pacman's chances and ability to work in the game. You definitely contributed very much to the life of the thread, and your "I was wrong thread" was perfect!

And all my love goes out to every other pac supporter out there like @Zzuxon , @YoshiandToad , @APC99,
@Swampasaur,
@WVdUde,
@Reila,
@Mega Bidoof
and many others!!
I wish I knew you guys well enough to write something about:(, but I guess I will in due time (if only I had time to be on Smashboards more often...).

Regardless, you guys are the best, and made this speculation truly enjoyable and magical.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I'm still holding out for Wolf and ICs.

No need to tell me how wrong I am, I'll just wait until release.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I can't wait to fight someone of you with the online mode of Smash!
My Kirby is ready!
Let's hope that there won't be too much lag.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

My guess for the final 5 is that it's going to be mainly returning characters
1: Ice Climbers (Get the Brawl Jigglypuff treatment for placement)
2: Lucas
3:Wolf
4: Mewtwo
5: MAYBE Ridley. Or Snake

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
Smash memories?

Well, very first video game for me was Super Smash Bros. Melee at like four years old. I mained and still do main Bowser. Only characters I ever unlocked were Roy and Dr Mario I think. Imagine my surprise when I found out that Pichu, G&W, Mewtwo, and more were in the game. Still one of my favorite games.

Also shoutouts to @WingedSnagret for being a total Pikmin bro and @ Morbi Morbi for being pretty darn cool in general.

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
my smash memeories well:

Brawl was the first video game I ever played.

When I realised I main game & watch, even though all my friends said he sucked.

When Little Mac was in smash as a playable character.

My friend played as Lucas and i would be Ness and we'd preform really freakin' awesome team combos together (he would send people in the air, and then my ariel combos took them back to the ground)

Playing the first Smash Bros. and loving it

Playing melee only to realise I suck at it because of playing brawl first (i got better later)

When my friend told me Raichu was in the game by playing a million brawls or finishing the Subspace Emmisary 20 times on intense
(boy did i waste my life on that)

Getting all challenges complete

ahh memories, its great to be a kid

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I wasn't included in the Pac-Train? That's depressing.

I absolutely love him being there, I even made those icons and renders before he was confirmed...

Morbi

Scavenger
My most cherished Smash memory, if that is still the topic of discussion, was Ganondorf's reveal. In the pre-Melee era, I was quite immature; in fact, I was only approximately seven years of age. Clearly, I lacked essential cognitive functions and the ability to use the internet; however, I never thought that Ganondorf was a possibility. I did not believe that essential characters such as Bowser, Zelda or Peach would be playable either, given their roles in within their own franchise, especially at the time. People take their inclusions for granted when they assert that Brawl's newcomer roster was superior. I was not as surprised to see Young Link, as he is one of the main characters of Legend of Zelda. Before the introduction of Melee, only the most prominent characters within each series were added, the only exception being Jigglypuff, I suppose. Essentially, Melee is one of my favorite titles as I was able to go into the experience "blind." I had no knowledge of the content within the game prior to actually earning everything there was to earn.

Ganondorf is my favorite video-game character. I believe that he is one of the first video-game characters that I adored and he was my first taste of Legend of Zelda as I "started" the series at his boss battle. My mother had taken my sister to a Gameforce whilst I was attending elementary school, there she decided to purchase Ocarina of Time. There was a file already complete, I suppose. So my sister started with that file, it was something that we did when we were younger, we would examine the previous owners progress for whatever reason. I digress, upon my return, she was in his castle, already in the battle. She needed some help to defeat him. I vaguely recall falling off the edge multiple times before deflecting deadman's volley properly. As an advocate of antagonists, Ganondorf was one of the first that I became attached to, therefore he means a lot to me personally.

This leads us back to Smash. I was already quite pleased with everything the game had to offer, the unlock-able characters were great; however, after being exposed to characters such as Dr. Mario, Young Link, Pichu or Falco, personal favorites, that only reaffirmed that that game would focus on variations of main characters. So I was not expecting anything on par with the King of Darkness, or even Mewtwo. Marth was the biggest disappointment from Melee as I was not aware of who he was. The same could be said about Captain Falcon and Ness, that is relevant later. After playing Classic mode to get a feel for him, Roy was unlocked. I was utterly disturbed to say the least. Two (repugnant) anime swordsmen?! Honestly, Roy was my favorite and I interpreted him as compensation for what Marth offered. As many our age, we believed that Marth was a woman and once we learned the truth, we felt betrayed. Roy had fire and explosions, how could he not be the better character? The better man, even? In fact, to this day, I adamantly believe that Roy is better for free-for-all. Regardless, that is not the point, the point is that I condemned my favorite character without being aware of it. The precedent established a pattern of clone characters, secondary characters even. Characters that I did not even realize existed.

At this point in my file, I had unlocked everyone aside from Ganondorf, Mewtwo, and Game & Watch. The last two unlocks we were "graced" with were Marth and Roy, at the time, I was not overly fond of them. Obviously that has changed drastically over time. Something was amiss... It happened, everything changed. After playing versus for awhile, the ever so coveted "Challenger Approaching" screen loomed in the distance. This was what my sister and I had been working towards, the next character! The excitement was palpable, it saturated ever fiber of our beings. At each "Challenger Approaching" banner, my sister and I would attempt to discern the character that was masked in a silhouette. Obviously our overt lack of Nintendo knowledge influenced our detrimental accuracy. For instance, Dr. Mario's silhouette was reminiscent of a "tiger man" from our perspective, we thought that perhaps he was a wrestling-esque character. Quite incorrect we were, indeed.

This silhouette was different than the rest. It was easy to establish that it was a man... with a sword... he seemed as though he was positioned in an action pose. By the gods! It was yet another generic anime swordsmen. I was not pleased in the slightest. For a moment, I even wished that that character was not in the game. I still regret that do this day even though it was not pertinent to his fate. Yes, I was as petty back then as I currently am. Nothing has changed in that regard. So, before starting the match, I made my disdain extremely apparent by letting out the most exasperated sigh that I could muster, the game began to load, the seconds felt like years (not really though). It was... no. How could this be? Was I mislead? Was it a trap?!

Ganondorf.

He deserves his own paragraph. So I left it at that. I was trembling in fear as the King of Darkness instantly dropped me with very little effort. I could hardly focus. I could hardly believe what my eyes had the luxury of witnessing! I theorize that some endorphin that was not supposed to be present in my system was excreted. I forgot to mention it earlier; however, Link was my main. So there were some role-playing implications as well. After a quick break to allow my body to recover, after the hyperventilating ceased, after I cleaned the piss off of myself (that did not really happen, to clarify), I had issued the King of Darkness one last challenge. I had never been as determined to win a match as I was at that very moment. I am not a very competitive person either, but this, this was about pride (and earning the honor of playing as Ganon). It meant everything to me at the time. And as you probably guessed, I won that **** and gained Ganondorf's respect. He, in turn, allowed me to use him with dignity and elegance.

Honestly, this was my most cherished memory in Smash history. Nothing will ever usurp the King of Darkness' inclusion. I would also like to interject something fairly important. We were mislead. Ganon did not even use his sword, that silhouette was a thirst trap. I was not even aware that he was a clone as the others were. Obviously his specials were reminiscent of Captain Falcon's specials; however, I had not used Captain Falcon at all in Melee. I barely used him in Smash 64 either. But I was used to his Smash 64 iteration in conjunction with Ganondorf being a heavy weight and utilizing some of his own moves such as the U-tilt... he felt vastly original and unique. I learned Captain Falcon through Ganondorf. Deal with it, punk!

With that, I have one more notion that I would be privileged to assert before the release. If you do not use Ganon because you are a whiny, pretentious, self-entitled, spoiled little brat that believes that Ganondorf "deserves" better because he is not reminiscent of his Legend of Zelda form... **** you. If you do not enjoy playing as him, do not play as him.

?????????????

Smash Master
If someone said you could pick Wolf to return exactly as he was in Brawl, or Krystal with a completely unique moveset but Wolf doesn't return, which would you pick?

MagnesD3

Smash Master
If someone said you could pick Wolf to return exactly as he was in Brawl, or Krystal with a completely unique moveset but Wolf doesn't return, which would you pick?
Wolf, he deserves it more.

Not to be rude, but I suspect you'll be getting what you expect.

Even if we get 5 characters.
Probably knowing my luck.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Wolf has a completely unique moveset and I actually like him, so that's easy.

?????????????

Smash Master
Wolf, he deserves it more.
I agree. At the end of the day, I care more about which character I am playing as rather than what their moveset is. I believe there was a reason Wolf was already picked over Krystal in Brawl, that returning Wolf is a higher priority than a Star Fox newcomer, and that generally Wolf is a better character within his series.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Not to feed Magnus's ego, but I'm going to go with Wolf as is.
Mainly because he already has a unique moveset.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I'd go with Wolf. No need to replace what isn't broken.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Final Five:
Mewtwo
Wolf (I don't think he's cut)
K. Rool / Dixie
Ridley
Isaac

I still think its more likely the roster will expand into 10 columns than fill the arbitrary slots in the final row, though.
You and I have the EXACT same ideal final five! o.o

I wish it would happen. Although I'm not sure exactly how I would react, because it would just be too good to be true. lol

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I wasn't included in the Pac-Train? That's depressing.

I absolutely love him being there, I even made those icons and renders before he was confirmed...
Ah I totally forgot man:facepalm:
You are a huge supporter, I remember that you were an important part of the thread too when it came to his main supporters. Sorry, I had a headache while writing that and just stopped. I would have loved to recognize everybody

Morbi

Scavenger
Krystal is the ideal choice for two reasons:

1. Everyone else voted for Wolf.
2. Krystal is blue, that is essentially the only reason that Falco was chosen over Wolf in the first place.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom