• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
Cherished Smash memories...
Getting my N64 and Smash for Christmas
Staying up all night at my best friend's house playing Melee on his huge basement TV.
Finding out via a friend that a new Smash game was FINALLY in the works.
Gaining Wolf, the only Brawl newcomer I actually wanted :crying:
The awesome Charizard/Greninja trailer
Lucina, even if she's a clone
Seeing a revamped Bowser that doesn't suck

:fox64::link64::samus64::luigi64:
:mewtwomelee::foxmelee::ganondorfmelee:
:wolf::ganondorf::charizard::zelda::sheik::ike::lucario::warioc::diddy::samus2:
:4charizard::4bowser::4greninja::4lucina::4lucario::4sheik::4pacman::4zelda::4luigi::4robinf::rosalina::4samus::4littlemac::4myfriends::4diddy::4falcon::4sonic:

Last edited:

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
My final 5 predictions:
-Dixie Kong
-Impa
-Ridley
-Mewtwo
-Chorus Men.

I want Ice Climbers, but this is my prediction and I don't think they will come back -sob- Maybe dlc?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
TAKE MY ROSTER.
Leaked Roster.png

Same as before, but no Ridley.
Please understand.

The final five are:
- Ice Climber (Popo) (Overhauled, treated as newcomer like Charizard)
- Wolf
- Mewtwo
- Chorus Kids
- Dixie Kong

Lucas is Ness's alt.
Alph is Olimar's alt.
Koopalings are alts for Bowser Jr.
Nana is Popo's alt.

Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
What characters did you not know prior to SSB games?

In 64, I had no clue who Samus, Captain Falcon, and Ness were, and I had only knew Kirby by name.

In Melee, I had never previously heard of Ice Climbers, and I had no idea who Marth, Roy, and Mr.Game&Watch were.

When they were first showing off Brawl stuff (right before I got into speculation), I only knew of Pit because of his Melee trophy, I didn't know who Lucas or Ike were (although it was easy to guess they were MOTHER and Fire Emblem characters), and I only knew Snake by name.

As for this game, I already knew everybody; probably because I got involved with speculation.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Smash Bros. memories? Let's go with my favorite for each one.

My first time playing the N64 version at a friend's house after begin intrigued by the commercial. Played as Mario, and just spammed the fireball, since that's all I was told how to do. IIRC, my friend, his brother and his sister were Link, Kirby, and Jigglypuff respectively.

My older brother talking nonstop about how cool Melee was before we owned a Gamecube. He was particularly enthralled with Roy. And yet when we finally got the game, he never used him. Him constantly beating me gave me a burning, unending hatred for Shiek and Peach.

Wario being confirmed for Brawl. For whatever reason, I wasn't really following E3 in 2006, so I totally missed the Brawl trailer. Once again, my brother showed it to me. Meta-Knight, Pit, and ZSS were all 'oh cool' for me, and then I saw the bike. My heart skipped a beat, as it showed the front with the W on it. Then it showed Wario in full, and I just yelled "YES!". I was a little confused as to why he was in his WarioWare clothes, but I didn't really care that much. After all, my favorite game character of all time was now in a Smash Bros. game.

Mega Man's confirmation. I've been gaming since I was 6 years old, yet nothing gaming-related in that entire span of time has made me as happy as that Mega Man trailer.

In the weeks leading up to E3, I was nervous. Mega Man was by far my most wanted newcomer. But there were all sorts of arguments against him, like Capcom trying to retire him, and overall irrelevance. Only thing I could cling to was Sakurai's quote about the possibility of a Capcom character.

So on the morning of June 11th, I woke up early, and couldn't get back to sleep due to excitement. Eventually, I started Skyping a few friends to talk about expectations and hope. The Direct started, and all the other stuff was shown. Then Iwata said they had one more game. Every muscle in my bodied tensed. The new trailer started, we saw all sorts of cool stuff, including Villager's introduction, which I half expected. Trailer ended, and I was thinking "They pulled this with Snake before."

"WARNING: CHALLENGER APPROACHING"

"Alright, it's now or never." I remember thinking to myself. The camera zoomed up to show a very familiar looking silhouette. "No, it can't be..." I said out loud. Helmet comes on, eyes light up, camera zooms out. My heart stopped.

"Mega Man
Joins the battle!"

I yelled out "YES!!" and literally began to jump around like a goddamn fool while trying to watch the trailer at the same time. A friend of mine who is also a Mega Man nut was on Skype at the time, and while I could only keysmash in absolute elation, he was in utter disbelief. I couldn't even correctly type anything on my Facebook due to my hands shaking so much.

Apologies for being so long-winded/overdramatic with the last one. As pathetic as it sounds, it was a big deal to me.

Last edited:

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
What characters did you not know prior to SSB games?

In 64, I had no clue who Samus, Captain Falcon, and Ness were, and I had only knew Kirby by name.

In Melee, I had never previously heard of Ice Climbers, and I had no idea who Marth, Roy, and Mr.Game&Watch were.

When they were first showing off Brawl stuff (right before I got into speculation), I only knew of Pit because of his Melee trophy, I didn't know who Lucas or Ike were (although it was easy to guess they were MOTHER and Fire Emblem characters), and I only knew Snake by name.

As for this game, I already knew everybody; probably because I got involved with speculation.
Melee was my first game I ever played, and Mario was the only character I knew. My parents didnt like video games and I went to my friends house and played with him, and I was amazed. Took me a long time to learn everyone's names though lol.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Are we sharing fond Smash memories over here?

- Pokemon Trainer blowing my fricking mind as a reveal.

- Sonic Vs. Mario for the (almost) first time! WHOOOOA!

- Yoshi Vs. Mario Vs. Sonic battles with my two best friends.

- Watching my friend fluff up his Falcon Knee in Melee, and getting more and more frustrated as he forgot how I could...ya know...roll out the way?

- Return to Smashboards after 11 years away.

- Becoming hooked on video games in the first place upon playing Smash 64.

- Being introduced to it via the then 13 year old boy who would much later become best man at my wedding this year. Smash even got a nod in the speech since it's how we first became friends. We meet once a week to play some Smash, and we're planning to do likewise for Smash 4.

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
- Being introduced to it via the then 13 year old boy who would much later become best man at my wedding this year. Smash even got a nod in the speech since it's how we first became friends. We meet once a week to play some Smash, and we're planning to do likewise for Smash 4.
Wow. This is awesome.

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman
N64 version.

1998-1999 or whatever.

My brothers and I would play "picture matches." Where we would try to do cool things and pause when our characters were in cool positions. We loved the movable pause screen.

We would try to get inside the Great Fox starship because we heard a rumor you could. Never did.

Without knowing about any concept in gaming about "'maining a character" we actually came up with the concept on our own. We called it, "magic guys." The character only you are allowed to be. My magic guy was Mario. My brothers and cousin were DK, link, pikachu.

We still joke and call our mains our "magic guy."

Last edited:

mark welford

Smash Ace
my fondest memories of smash are:
1. watching my brother play melee I was 3 the year melee came out.
2. my dad giving me and my sisters $100 dollars to spend on whatever we want and I used my $100 dollars on video games and melee was one of those!
3. being excited for brawl because I was a sonic fanboy at the time and I was 10 when brawl came out.
4. getting brawl for my 11th birthday
5. not knowing until 2-3 months ago how much I loved wolf.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Wow. This is awesome.
True story!

We've been meeting weekly for the best part of the 15 years to play Smash together. Incidentally the two ushers and my other best man(I had two) were also friendships forged via Smash Bros Melee and Brawl and thus Smash to me is more than just a mere game; it's a symbol of those long lasting friendships.

This is the most cheesy anime-esque thing I have ever said.

I don't regret it at all.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
True story!
We've been meeting weekly for the best part of the 15 years to play Smash together. Incidentally the two ushers and my other best man(I had two) were also friendships forged via Smash Bros Melee and Brawl and thus Smash to me is more than just a mere game; it's a symbol of those long lasting friendships.
This is the most cheesy anime-esque thing I have ever said.

I don't regret it at all.
As an advocate of Friendship is Magic, I see no problem with talking about friendship so positively.
Smash brings people together. In-game and out.

ActionHankBeard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ActionHankBeard
Final 5..?
Hmmm...

Impa - the time seems right for a true Zelda newcomer. She's grown into her own character and in recent games she's shown that she's capable of of some pretty cold feats. I don't really think there's much significance to the trophy thing. It just seems coincidental. Not to mention predictable.

Mewtwo - Honestly I didn't expect see him again after he didn't show for Brawl. Until we Saw Dr. Mario back. It'll suck if Dr Mario, a clone, is the only returning fighter from Melee. Especially w/ the added potential of Mewtwo's X & Y forms.

Lucas - After the Alph alt reveal people think that he'll be demoted to an alt skin for Ness. I can't imagine Sakurai doing that to a once playable character though. Ninten makes more sense because he looks just like Ness. Plus the two played entirely different from each other w/ the exception of a few specials (Like the Mario Bros) Either he'll return or he'll get the axe.

Ice Climber(s) - I'm starting to think the Ice Climbers will be made into singular character. The Pairing mechanic seemed like a cool idea in theory, but it crippled the characters. It looks like they got it right w/ Rosalina & Luma. So I expect Nana and Popo to return as one character and your be able to select either one like the Villager or Wii Fit Trainer. The Alph alt has only made me think this was even more likely.

Dixie Kong - I don't even expect her to be in. It'll probably end up being some Rhythm Heaven character. But if it's not, she seems like the logical 3rd DK member. I'd prefer Ridley over her but I just don't think he'll make the cut.

SANCHOCO

Smash Apprentice
As an advocate of Friendship is Magic, I see no problem with talking about friendship so positively.
Smash brings people together. In-game and out.
I've lost friendships over these games, as much as I do in other games(Mario Party, Mario Kart). It got to the point where they have plotted against me and take me down first every time we have a match lol XD

mini paincakes

Smash Journeyman
My last 5:
Mewtwo (Expect + Want)
Ridley (Expect + Want)
Dixie/ K. Rool (Expect + Want)
Snake (Want)
Ice Climbers (Want, but really unlikely imo)

Wolf, Lucas, Chorus Men and a Zelda Newcomer all get honorable mentions as other possibilities for the final 5.

Also, if we're still talking about mains.

SSB::mario64::pikachu64:

SSBM::jigglypuffmelee::marthmelee::gawmelee:

SSBB: :warioc::gw:

SSB4 (possible mains): (Ridley), :jigglypuff:,:4greninja:,:4shulk:,:gw:,:warioc:,:4sheik::4zss:,:snake:

Depends who is actually good.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
My fondest smash memories:
1. Finding Super Smash Bros. Melee in the video game bin at Walmart years ago, I was 10 at the time.
2. Found out that I had to have a memory card in order to have the characters that I unlocked to be saved on there.
3. Finding out who Link, Ness, Fox, and Captain Falcon were and played their respective games and have been fans of each series since.
4. Finally getting the hang of using Captain Falcon as one of my mains :grin:
5. Leaving my Gamecube on all night in order to unlock Mewtwo, then using a Falcon Punch to blast him off the stage in order to unlock him. :laugh:
6. The happiness that I felt when I heard that Brawl was announced. :bee:
7. When my friend said that Sonic wasn't going to be in Brawl, then saw the look on his face when Sonic was confirmed. :p
8. The strange look on my face when I first saw R.O.B. in Subspace Emissary for the first time.:lol:
9. I predicted when Xenoblade Chronicles came out, that the main character, Shulk, would make an appearance in the 4th Smash Bros. game and I was right. :eek:
10. How happy I was when Shulk was finally confirmed. :awesome:

Last edited:

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I've lost friendships over these games, as much as I do in other games(Mario Party, Mario Kart). It got to the point where they have plotted against me and take me down first every time we have a match lol XD
I hate Mario Party more than you could possibly imagine. I dunno what pinhead at Nintendo thought a game where you can play really well for the whole game and lose on the last turn was a good idea. I literally very nearly did lose a friendship over it.

Assuming there are five more characters, I have no idea what to expect. The only one that I think has a decent chance at the moment is Mewtwo. Ridley is (unfortunately) already gone in my eyes, and if the Ice Climbers can't work, I can't see the Chorus Boys working either.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Final Five:
Mewtwo
Wolf (I don't think he's cut)
K. Rool / Dixie
Ridley
Isaac

I still think its more likely the roster will expand into 10 columns than fill the arbitrary slots in the final row, though.

Groose

Smash Champion
Ha, I'm about to do the same thing to. I'm actually buying the JPN version on the Eshop on Friday, because I don't want yall to spoil Mewtwo's return for me!

There are two people I'd really like to thank, them being @ Groose Groose and @andimidna cause without them, I know I wouldn't have had as much fun on the boards as I've had this entire time. It's been exactly since last Christmas since I joined. I heard a guy on Gamefaqs has a friend who is giving him a copy today, so I'm hurrying up to disappear. I may slyly put up my Roster Satisfaction in RMC later tonight, but that will most likely be my final post here until the day of wrecking.

I'd really like to thank every one! I know I had some whiny moments about Micaiah, Pac Man, the Ice Climbers, the Koopalings, and more, but I think I've made some really good friends out of all you guys. It's been a blast! And I can't wait to kick your butts in Smash, since you know, I get a head start! I hope you guys have a fun time on JPN release day

Just remember. This isn't goodbye. It's just a see ya later. I love you guys!

Thanks!

The Light Music Club!!!!

I'd like to post a clip from the show my name came from as well:

@The Light Music Club:

After the game launches and you discover everything for yourself, make sure you come back and say "Wasup!" We'll have the Rate Their Chances Social up by then, and you'll definitely be permitted to join. It's an honor that I helped make someone's speculative experience enjoyable, and I wish you the best of fun with the new game.

SANCHOCO

Smash Apprentice
Final 5:
None, that was the final roster :troll: (i'm kidding guys!)
But I suck at speculations so I decide not to give a list.

As for memories:
-Seeing that N64 commercial, laughing at the whole thing and then wanting the game.
-Playing it for the first time and enjoying it
-rivalries were made/friendships were broken
-Getting Melee and realizing that I STILL didn't have a memory card to save(and therefore lose all my unlocks)
-Maining sheik like a boss and taking names. More friendships were lost
-Keeping the Gamecube on for hours because I didn't want to lose the characters I unlocked(again didn't have a memory card)
-Realizing HOW DAMN LONG IT WAS TO GET MEWTWO
-Happy and when I finally got a memory card!
-FINALLY UNLOCKING MEWTWO FOR GOOD!
-Gambling addiction with the trophy machine
-Excited for Brawl
-Disappointed about the delay
-Hype with new characters coming(SONIC AND SNAKE)
-Disappointed about the delay AGAIN
-Played Sonic and discover Ike was my new main and somehow had more joy with Brawl Ganondorf than Melee Ganondorf(weird I know)
-TRIPPING -flips table-
-Tabuu O_O
-Friendships were lost some more
-Realized how bad online was with lag/hax(people like wario and giga bowser were there) that I stopped trying altogether.
-Still hyped for smash regardless of leaks and what we learned
-HYPE TRAIN STOPS FOR NO ONE(until the game is released anyways)

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I haven't thought he was guaranteed for a long time, though.
At this point, it seems like a disservice to pretty much everyone to not have Ridley playable, but that's just how Sakurai plays.

?????????????

Smash Master
After a long time, I've updated the Tetra support thread. She's still my most wanted Zelda newcomer, and she's not out yet!

Jallis370

Smash Cadet
Stupid question: The characters we've seen so far will be available from the start in addition to unlockables who won't be announced, right?

SANCHOCO

Smash Apprentice
Well... not really.

But how often do I get to use that emote?
fair point lol XD
I was going to say, we have strayed so far to the dark side that the only choices we have are the dark side and the darker side:awesome:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom