• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriven

Smash Journeyman
If all Nintendo All-Stars made it, what would the sequel possibly be?

?????????????

Smash Master
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate; a collection of all video game all-stars from all companies.

Also, a final word on the topic of my rants against Wolf...

I'm not going to say that my wording wasn't offensive or personal, because it clearly was. But, strongly worded as they were, I felt they were appropriate responses to the previously made statements and the remainder of my comments pertained to the topic.

With the exception of the comment on devastation. That one simply set me off as an inappropriately strong complaint for something as mundane as "choices made in a video game," and I did personally gripe about it because I believed it was overly immature, and I was probably harsh in doing so.

In any case, I can't change what I previously have said. And so, I admit that I was inflammatory and closed-minded as to the experiences and perceptions of other individuals.

Last edited:

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Sure, sounds good! Lucario is my best friend's main, so I'm pretty used to fighting him.

Of course Lucario is a deserving Pokemon, but I don't think he's on the same level as Pikachu or Charizard.
Hyesz! I would like to add you in the near future & play friendlies, I've got experimenting to do with his AuraBoost% mechanic so I'd need re-touching up on that before playing ya. But ahead of time Thanks for Playing~

I was adulting in my first reply to you, it doesn't bother me that much. Lucario is high up there in the Pokemon world, I'd like to say he's almost behind Mewtwo in 4th place. I find it funny for Charizard's story is his origin in Smash to be a Pokeball summon, few people mention it at all. I think every pokemon that's shown up in the Smash Brothers titles are all deserving pokeball or fighter.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
It's not that I'm saying they're insignificant characters, or that they aren't Nintendo All-Stars, but I don't believe they are "necessities" when it comes to creating a crossover game. Of course, I'm glad there's the time, room, fan support, and developer interest to have them!

I also forgot Lucario on my list.
I'm just curious, you listed that Little Mac and ROB would not be All Stars, but from your exclusion of them I'm assuming you consider Pit, and G&W to be? I'd argue that Little Mac is at least on Pit's level, (Definitely above Ness) and ROB's got about as big an impact as G&W did for Nintendo.

Meh, guess it's more of personal interpretation of what an All Star is.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
@ MagnesD3 MagnesD3
:4bowser::4falcon::4charizard::4dedede::4diddy::4dk::drmario::falco::4fox::ganondorf::4greninja::popo::4myfriends::ivysaur::jigglypuff::4kirby::4littlemac::4link::4lucario::lucas::4lucina::4luigi::4mario::4marth::4megaman::4metaknight::mewtwomelee::4mii::gw::ness2::4olimar::4palutena::4pacman::4peach::pt::pichumelee::4pikachu::4pit::rob::4robinm::4robinf::rosalina::4samus::4sheik::sheilda::4shulk::snake::4sonic::squirtle::4tlink::4villager::wario::warioc::4wiifit::wolf::4yoshi::younglinkmelee::4zelda::4zss:
If Nintendo All-Stars is a term used for the history & merit Nintendo characters have earned, then all of these characters are worth having as All-Stars including more.
:roymelee:
I moved this one out of the way for you, seems you misplaced it amongst the others in a state of confusion.

?????????????

Smash Master
I'm just curious, you listed that Little Mac and ROB would not be All Stars, but from your exclusion of them I'm assuming you consider Pit, and G&W to be? I'd argue that Little Mac is at least on Pit's level, (Definitely above Ness) and ROB's got about as big an impact as G&W did for Nintendo.

Those ones were tricky for me. I'd normally include Pit on my list, but damn, Uprising was cool. Maybe I just believe you should have at least one character in a series that represents multiple, and with Palutena now (and potentially Dark Pit), Pit does that.

To me, G&W represents an entire generation, while ROB is a single NES accessory.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
@ MagnesD3 MagnesD3 I was not quoted to give you a reply, but as a spectator of watching the game my best friend played, it looked quite fun & the action / fighting / scenes were fairly decent. I liked Star Fox Adventures, even though it wasn't supposed to be a Star Fox game.:upsidedown:

Also the term "Nintendo All-Stars" is baffling me, I may need explaining about the term so I don't use it incorrectly. I thought all of these characters were Super Smash Brothers / Sisters that are all proud Nintendo All-Stars?
:4bowser::4falcon::4charizard::4dedede::4diddy::4dk::drmario::falco::4fox::ganondorf::4greninja::popo::4myfriends::ivysaur::jigglypuff::4kirby::4littlemac::4link::4lucario::lucas::4lucina::4luigi::4mario::4marth::4megaman::4metaknight::mewtwomelee::4mii::gw::ness2::4olimar::4palutena::4pacman::4peach::pt::pichumelee::4pikachu::4pit::rob::4robinm::4robinf::rosalina::roymelee::4samus::4sheik::sheilda::4shulk::snake::4sonic::squirtle::4tlink::4villager::wario::warioc::4wiifit::wolf::4yoshi::younglinkmelee::4zelda::4zss:
If Nintendo All-Stars is a term used for the history & merit Nintendo characters have earned, then all of these characters are worth having as All-Stars including more.

I was okay with your logic & posts until now.:urg: Your opinion is decent, but that last forgotten addition pains me pizzadude. Lets add codes on 5mash & I'll 1-1 you?:4lucario: I'll start with a 70% handicap for the fun of it too.
Yeah star fox adventures is good fun, the things that needed more depth were the fighting system and the space missions and I hate the fact you dont get to fight a certain boss.

As for nintendo all star I use the term if I think a character has earned the title I wont give it to just anybody but I will say im not very lenient when I use the term like others may. As an example I definitely dont consider Pichu an all star.

?????????????

Smash Master
Pokemon are tricky for me. Given that they are all equally usable in their games and could each potentially be someone's greatest and favorite character, I somewhat believe that all Pokemon are all-stars.

Morbi

Scavenger
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate; a collection of all video game all-stars from all companies.

Also, a final word on the topic of my rants against Wolf...

I'm not going to say that my wording wasn't offensive or personal, because it clearly was. But, strongly worded as they were, I felt they were appropriate responses to the previously made statements and the remainder of my comments pertained to the topic.

With the exception of the comment on devastation. That one simply set me off as an inappropriately strong complaint for something as mundane as "choices made in a video game," and I did personally gripe about it because I believed it was overly immature, and I was probably harsh in doing so.

In any case, I can't change what I previously have said. And so, I admit that I was inflammatory and closed-minded as to the experiences and perceptions of other individuals.
If only I had warned you with a simple, "can't let you do that" quote, this all could have been avoided.

Pokemon are tricky for me. Given that they are all equally usable in their games and could each potentially be someone's greatest and favorite character, I somewhat believe that all Pokemon are all-stars.
Especially Gengar, my personal favorite which happens to be the greatest.

Yeah star fox adventures is good fun, the things that needed more depth were the fighting system and the space missions and I hate the fact you dont get to fight a certain boss.

As for nintendo all star I use the term if I think a character has earned the title I wont give it to just anybody but I will say im not very lenient when I use the term like others may. As an example I definitely dont consider Pichu an all star.
My definition of a Nintendo all-star: every character that appeared in Super Smash Brothers, the Nintendo all-star game.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
You people sure do know how to make a joke out of anything. :laugh:

New characters rise to stardom eventually. That's why they'll probably never run out of good characters to add. Next time, we might see Splatoons, for example.

Kriven

Smash Journeyman

In my opinion, Little Mac and ROB are less all-star than Pit or Game & Watch for a couple reasons.

Quickly: Game & Watch is the mascot of an entire console (I guess? Product line would be more appropriate, I suppose), and while ROB had the potential to do something similar, he ultimately fell very short of the aspirations that went into desiging him and he ended up as little more than a plot device and peripheral for only one or two games.

Little Mac is a different scenario, because it depends what one's personal criteria for an all-star is. I wouldn't view Little Mac as an all-star because he's just a boxing champion. Kid Icarus saved multiple existential planes on multiple occasions, and Ness has greater depth of character than the majority of the Nintendo line-up by virtue of starring in an RPG (something typically reserved for spin-offs). From my perspective it's a character's accomplishments and personal history that give them their status, and by that alone Doc Louis is more of an all-star than Mac. He's certainly a more identifiable character, because he's the one through which the player relates to the world. He's our mentor, our friend, and in a lot of ways our father figure (when playing as Mac). It's his voice that carries us from level-to-level and guides us to victory, not Mac's.

Taking into account history and fiscal success, however, Little Mac is given the edge over Louis simply because at the end of the day it's his franchise. But again, his greatest accomplishment is punching out a real guy. That's great, but it doesn't do much to make him an all-star.

Super Smash Bros., like Justice League in comic books, has the propensity to take a underdog (say, the Ice Climbers) and make them an All-Star, and I'm okay with that because the progression of a character from B-Rank to A-Rank is part of what goes into that factor. So today's Tier Two could easily be tomorrow's Top Tier (note I'm talking significance, not play).

Just my thoughts, though I know you didn't address me.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Pokemon is a unique case where being Iconic and popularity have a huge part to play. With the ones who of course are important to the games as a whole. I consider Pikachu, Red, Blue, Charizard, Mewtwo and Lucario to all be all stars and off the top of my head thats probably it (maybe meowth?) (Jiggilypuff should stay because its unique and it has a ton of fans based on its previous inclusion, she is more of a smash star than anything.)

Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
Pokemon is a unique case where being Iconic and popularity have a huge part to play. With the ones who of course are important to the games as a whole. I consider Pikachu, Red, Blue, Charizard, Mewtwo and Lucario to all be all stars (Jiggilypuff should stay because its unique and it has a ton of fans based on its previous inclusion, she is more of a smash star than anything.)
I additionally consider Meowth to be a star, though I do get plenty of opposition on that opinion.

Kriven

Smash Journeyman
Where Pokemon are concerned, I typically look at the anime (and take this with a grain of salt, since I haven't looked at the aime since the Unown movie).

So at one time I would have considered all of Ash's primary team to be All-Star-worthy Pokemon (as well as Charmander), in addition to Jigglypuff, Meowth, and Vulpix. Of course any that has been the focus of a movie (Zoroark, Darkrai, Mew) should also be considered. Any evolutions related to these Pokemon get a leg up on the competition (Pichu, Wigglytuff, etc.) Pokemon, however, has kind of a revolving door of importance depending on which ones are used to bring in the new set of games and which ones develop on the ever-infinite anime.

I would also give, in the future, certain importance to the Pokken Fighters who become tournament regulars.

Morbi

Scavenger
Where Pokemon are concerned, I typically look at the anime (and take this with a grain of salt, since I haven't looked at the aime since the Unown movie).

So at one time I would have considered all of Ash's primary team to be All-Star-worthy Pokemon (as well as Charmander), in addition to Jigglypuff, Meowth, and Vulpix. Of course any that has been the focus of a movie (Zoroark, Darkrai, Mew) should also be considered. Any evolutions related to these Pokemon get a leg up on the competition (Pichu, Wigglytuff, etc.) Pokemon, however, has kind of a revolving door of importance depending on which ones are used to bring in the new set of games and which ones develop on the ever-infinite anime.

I would also give, in the future, certain importance to the Pokken Fighters who become tournament regulars.
If Vulpix is an all-star, Togepi had BETTER be considered an all-star by your definition.

Kriven

Smash Journeyman
Off the top of my head, the significant Pokemon of Generation One are:

Squirtle
Blastoise
Bulbasaur
Ivysaur (A later addition due to its involvement in Brawl)
Charmander
Charizard
Butterfree
Pidgeotto
Pikachu
Raichu
Ekans
Arbok
Koffing
Wheezing
Clefairy
Vulpix
Meowth
Primeape
Haunter
Psyduck
Geodude
Muk
Onix
Krabby
Kingler
Hitmonlee
Hitmonchan
Chansey
Horsea
Goldeen
Magikarp
Staryu
Starmie
Mr. Mime
Scyther
Magikar
Gyarados
Lapras
Ditto
Eevee
Snorlax
Mewtwo
Mew

And of them the most important would be:

Squirtle
Charizard
Pikachu
Mewtwo
Mew
Snorlax
Meowth
Psyduck
Jigglypuff

After that it's kind of a various set of draws.

Last edited:

bballstar23

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2383-6686-1312
You people sure do know how to make a joke out of anything. :laugh:

New characters rise to stardom eventually. That's why they'll probably never run out of good characters to add. Next time, we might see Splatoons, for example.
I agree with this. Think about how many characters included in Sm4sh didn't even exist back when Brawl was in development. Or even think about some of the newcomers that many didn't even consider as potential characters around that time. Given that, I'm sure there will be plenty of Nintendo talent to choose from. There's still a wealth of "All-Stars" to choose from that might not make it into this title, so I'm sure when the next generation of Smash is under development, there will be a huge pool to select from. Plus there's always the retro characters that can be revisited. If Nintendo is smart, they can keep using Smash to their advantage to revive overlooked and interesting franchises like they did with Kid Icarus (and to a lesser extent you could argue Punch Out! since Little Mac was an assist trophy in the last game).

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
:roymelee:
I moved this one out of the way for you, seems you misplaced it amongst the others in a state of confusion.
Ahh, whew. Thanks Duke, your appendage sword joke was also needed. Smiles & likes are appreciated. Way to look out for me. I must of confused it with him:
Wario's so good he's on the list twice :chuckle:
Smashboards thinks so too! Little Mac should be on here twice as well.:awesome:

Had that spin-off game got more attention / sequels, General Scales would of been a fine character to be included in everyone's Smash Roster Wishlist. I would of put General Scales in my wishlist indefinitely. Looking at my list of characters I only listed them in only as Super Smash Brothers & Sisters, not as Nintendo's greatest All-Stars.:ohwell: Pichu definitely does not scream "All-Star" but was an introduction to Baby Pokemon & Eggs. Not big enough however.
My favorite Pokemon is Sceptile.
:shades::shades::shades::shades::shades::shades::shades::shades::shades::shades: This pleases me. I question my all-time favorite Pkmn ever since you posted who yours is. Man. . .I loved Scyther for a while, but Sceptile is my favorite Hoenn & possibly my favorite as well.

To the general topic atm, Ash's primary pokemon he chooses all I feel deserve a place. Pikachu Charizard & Sceptile in the anime all have defeated a Legendary pokemon down the road, so that is all that's needed to be said.:awesome:

But really, Pokemon is such a big topic this topic could last for 20+ pages.

PlayfulMushroom

Smash Apprentice

Squirtle
Blastoise
Bulbasaur
Charmander
Charizard
Butterfree
Pidgeotto
Pikachu
Raichu
Ekans
Arbok
Koffing
Wheezing
Clefairy
Vulpix
Meowth
Primeape
Haunter
Psyduck
Geodude
Muk
Onix
Krabby
Kingler
Hitmonlee
Hitmonchan
Chansey
Horsea
Goldeen
Magikarp
Staryu
Starmie
Mr. Mime
Scyther
Magikar
Gyarados
Lapras
Ditto
Eevee
Snorlax
Mewtwo
Mew

Squirtle
Charizard
Pikachu
Mewtwo
Mew
Snorlax
Meowth
Psyduck
Jigglypuff

Watch out, we have a genwunner here D: MOST of the Pokemon you listed hasn't been relevant in like 10 years.

Kriven

Smash Journeyman
Watch out, we have a genwunner here D: MOST of the Pokemon you listed hasn't been relevant in like 10 years.
I'm pretty sure I prefaced that list by saying: "The most important of Gen. One are..."

I'm not about to list the two-hundred significant Pokemon across all six generations. I went with the basics.

If I say Deoxys and Gardevoir are way up in my top twenty will you be happy?
andheracrossohbabyheracross

Last edited:

EmeraldDragonair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmeraldDragonair
For Nintendo All-Star pokemon I would include:
-Anything on the box of a main series game.
-Mew and Mewtwo.
-Meowth.
-Jigglypuff.
-Lucario.
-Togepi.
-Eevee.
-Blaziken??
-Maybe some others that I have missed.

Their popularity has defied their generation. Most people think of Lucario when they think of Gen 4. Same with Togepi and Gen 2. In a few years we will see if Zoroark and Greninja deserve to be on this list. Maril, Psyduck, Pidgetto, etc would have once been here, but their anime relevance is long gone, and unlike Jigglypuff they don't have Smash holding them up.

That's not to say they aren't Pokemon All-Stars, but they don't fit (imo) as Nintendo All-Stars.

Kriven

Smash Journeyman
This topic is pretty weird, because for a long while characters like Dixie Kong wouldn't be cosidered All-Stars because they hadn't been relevant in a long while, but characters like Daisy were absolutely all-stars, and whenever they showed up it was like the developers were breaking rules. Now Daisy holds almost no water, but Dixie is strongly back in style.

I'm way interested in seeing how the growing number of Pokemon spin-off games influence the involvement of Pokemon characters in the grand scheme of Nintendo.

PlayfulMushroom

Smash Apprentice
I'm pretty sure I prefaced that list by saying: "The most important of Gen. One are..."

I'm not about to list the two-hundred significant Pokemon across all six generations. I went with the basics.

If I say Deoxys and Gardevoir are way up in my top twenty will you be happy?
andheracrossohbabyheracross
Oh, sorry xD I just scrolled through the thread and saw the words "important" and a load of Gen.1 pokes. My bad.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

Squirtle
Blastoise
Bulbasaur
Charmander
Charizard
Butterfree
Pidgeotto
Pikachu
Raichu
Ekans
Arbok
Koffing
Wheezing
Clefairy
Vulpix
Meowth
Primeape
Haunter
Psyduck
Geodude
Muk
Onix
Krabby
Kingler
Hitmonlee
Hitmonchan
Chansey
Horsea
Goldeen
Magikarp
Staryu
Starmie
Mr. Mime
Scyther
Magikar
Gyarados
Lapras
Ditto
Eevee
Snorlax
Mewtwo
Mew

Squirtle
Charizard
Pikachu
Mewtwo
Mew
Snorlax
Meowth
Psyduck
Jigglypuff

Great list for the anime, but where are the rest of them?
Dragonite was certainly a big idea. As was Ditto. Alakazam and Gengar. Machamp. Chansey.
The list really just shows the anime. What about the actual game, the trading cards, and more?

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
This topic is pretty weird, because for a long while characters like Dixie Kong wouldn't be cosidered All-Stars because they hadn't been relevant in a long while, but characters like Daisy were absolutely all-stars, and whenever they showed up it was like the developers were breaking rules. Now Daisy holds almost no water, but Dixie is strongly back in style.

I'm way interested in seeing how the growing number of Pokemon spin-off games influence the involvement of Pokemon characters in the grand scheme of Nintendo.
In my opinion relevancy has no effect on ones all star status as long as they are important.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

Daisy was never a better option than Dixie, if even a momentary peak into Nintendo's history every came into play.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Pokemon Spin-off games haven't gotten a lick of promotion into Smash, not even the PMD series or the Colosseum series. I only see the core games of Pokemon in Nintendo's plan for Pokemon in Smash.

Unless we say that the ZERO trophy in Melee showcasing Pokemon Snap & the pokemon models based off their appearances in the Stadium series for their 3D look. . .that's all we've goten so far.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

Again, relevancy =/= recency. Daisy as a whole nowadays is spinoff exclusive, she's only had one main game appearances to date. Dixie Kong was the secondary start of one game, the star of another, and recently came back into style. K. Rool was always the main antagonist of the DK series until Returns, even in spinoffs. Granted, Dixie lost her position for a long time, as if you discount spinoffs, she's only had three major roles to date.

However, in all of them she's a main playable character. Daisy only appeared in one main game, and she was only a story character, she wasn't even playable. If you discount spinoffs, Dixie has far more leverage than Daisy. If you count spinoffs, Daisy has more appearances, but Dixie still has more prominence as a whole, and has more moveset potential and popularity.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I have a question for those that were around during the Pre-Brawl times. Did characters such as Diddy, Meta Knight, Wario, Dedede and Sonic ever have a significant amount of detracting arguments as to why they couldn't/shouldn't be in Brawl back then? If so, what were they?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom