• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
My biggest concern is Ganondorf. It's bad enough that he's still a clone, but it will be an absolute travesty if he's a travesty again.
At this point, Im hoping any Zelda character is high-top tier, they have all been so bad for practically every installment (barring Shiek and somewhat Ganondorf in Melee) Frankly, as a huge LoZ fan, I find it a little insulting.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
At this point, Im hoping any Zelda character is high-top tier, they have all been so bad for practically every installment (barring Shiek and somewhat Ganondorf in Melee) Frankly, as a huge LoZ fan, I find it a little insulting.
I can deal with being below average (Hell, I used Melee G&W/Mewtwo/Bowser for years), but Brawl Ganondorf was just so bad.

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
DI is a lot weaker than in brawl, so it's good that they added finishers into jabs, because you wouldn't be able to get out of one without the finisher.
This will help Zelda so much. Her smash attacks were ruined by DI, thank god for this.

silvR1995

Smash Journeyman
NNID
silvRboLt1995
3DS FC
0834-0571-4339
In brawl he was pathetic. I pray that he's improved and at least closer to melee ganondorf than brawl, and I've heard rumors of a general nintendo direct tomorrow, is it true?
It might just be the English version of the Japanese Direct.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
I do not understand the Banjo-Kazooie comparisons. Kazooie had all kinds of specialized skills. Call me when a duck can shoot 5 different types of eggs from its mouth, carry a fat bear like Banjo, and do a beak bomber attack. You guys are grasping. I would just appreciate the dog for what he is. He's good enough to have his own identity, even if he doesn't have a real name.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
This is my hope as well (though im expecting a US only Duck Hunt Dog trailer... yay ... :( )
That would actually be pretty cool.

Shulk being mostly Japan popular, while DHD being mostly western popular.
Not to mention I need that trailer to happen, because I already set myself to believe that DHD would be a trailer-less hidden character.

Gre ninja'd

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1693-2965-0889
I do not understand the Banjo-Kazooie comparisons. Kazooie had all kinds of specialized skills. Call me when a duck can shoot 5 different types of eggs from its mouth, carry a fat bear like Banjo, and do a beak bomber attack. You guys are grasping. I would just appreciate the dog for what he is. He's good enough to have his own identity, even if he doesn't have a real name.
Bango and kazooie were planned for smash bros melee, but were scrapped because rare was bought. I know duck hunt dog isn't a fat bear/badger, but finding a way to add different elements from a character that can't be in the game on one who can seems nice. And you're saying duck hunt dog and the duck doesn't have those skills on their game, which is absolutely correct, but two words blow that whole statement out I the water. Falcon. Punch.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Bango and kazooie were planned for smash bros melee, but were scrapped because rare was bought. I know duck hunt dog isn't a fat bear/badger, but finding a way to add different elements from a character that can't be in the game on one who can seems nice. And you're saying duck hunt dog and the duck doesn't have those skills on their game, which is absolutely correct, but two words blow that whole statement out I the water. Falcon. Punch.
We'll see what sort of liberties they take. As far as I can tell, "Duck Hunt" is a blank slate.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
I agree, the only thing we know for sure is that there is a dog and a duck in the render.
Most likely. But there may be certain liberties taken from the fact that it is a Dog/Duck combination. Much like how ROB was given lasers, a common thing among futuristic robots, DHD could have the dog throw birds that attack as projectiles, he could have a howl or roar for an attack buff, the bird could do some pecking, etc. Also, if they're as similar to BK as we think they are, there are a bunch of liberties that we could assume.

But yes, most likely a blank slate that Sakurai will work from scratch.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
On a different subject, i always see so many mad that some series arent getting as much series representation as others. And that got me thinking, what about punch out and little mac?

Sure hes new and not from a veteran series, but think about, all we really have are him (his costumes), the boxing ring, and the music for said ring. We have yet to even see a scrap of anything else, even a trophy. Whats the deal with that?

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Well, that pic of the day is interesting. I think it's pretty obvious that Sakurai is aware of the leak, and this is his way of saying there's more.

mark welford

Smash Ace
what I want to know what does the PotD means for ice climbers and wolf? since it being locked means there is more possibly them I really hope so.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
what I want to know what does the PotD means for ice climbers and wolf? since it being locked means there is more possiblt them I really hope so.
The only supposedly "cut" character I think is still in is Wolf. IC and Lucas I really think are gone... at least from the release roster, but they could potentially be added later as DLC.

Zynux

Smash Lord
To those who grasp straws for their characters:

Grasp some more. There's still may be hope on the horizon.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Link? This got me curious about them being in Melee

CoolEric258

Smash Cadet
In brawl he was pathetic. I pray that he's improved and at least closer to melee ganondorf than brawl, and I've heard rumors of a general nintendo direct tomorrow, is it true?
Well there's no acknowldegment by Nintendo, so that's proabably a lie.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Link? This got me curious about them being in Melee
They always seemed like an addition that should naturally happen. At that time, Banjo-Kazooie and Diddy where probably just as expected to be in Melee as the likes of Bowser and Peach...

But that dream has basically gone to ****.

Maxilian

Smash Ace
They always seemed like an addition that should naturally happen. At that time, Banjo-Kazooie and Diddy where probably just as expected to be in Melee as the likes of Bowser and Peach...

But that dream has basically gone to ****.
Actually even if Banjo-Kazooie was very popular for melee it wasn't really a shoe-in, and he was never in the same place as Diddy-kong, even if Banjo-Kazooie was more popular, he didn't have a path made for Smash like Diddy and when Nintendo lost rare, it was even worse for him, personally it doesn't bother me that Banjo-Kazooie is not in the game but it wouldn't bother me either way if he were on the roster... he would have been one of those character that i don't really care about (like IC)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Actually even if Banjo-Kazooie was very popular for melee it wasn't really a shoe-in, and he was never in the same place as Diddy-kong, even if Banjo-Kazooie was more popular, he didn't have a path made for Smash like Diddy and when Nintendo lost rare, it was even worse for him, personally it doesn't bother me that Banjo-Kazooie is not in the game but it wouldn't bother me either way if he were on the roster... he would have been one of those character that i don't really care about (like IC)
Well, assuming Rare wouldve stayed with Nintendo. It would be common logic that we would have gotten Banjo-Kazooie in Smash. At least when Brawl came rolling in. Diddy would probably still make it in Melee before them though. And I believe Diddy was quite likely one of the characters that couldn't make it in Melee for these bull**** reasons.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Best thing about the leak is that Mario has 7 characters now, so the idiotic Mario needs the most slots argument in relation to Pokemon is out the window in regards to Mewtwo.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I just don't want this overload of Mario characters to have any effect on additions of other big franchises. Namely; :4zelda: and :4dk:.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I'm probably in the minority here as I absolutely love the newcomer list so far (Shulk, Villager, Lucina, Palutena, Little Mac, and Megaman were all in my top 10) but I still think it's really odd that Zelda and especially Donkey Kong haven't gotten a newcomer yet. Impa and Dixie would REALLY help to round out the newcomer roster. So would Ridley but I've lost a bit of faith in him (he and Megaman were my two most wanted when the game was announced.)

I think K. Rool and Isaac are more likely as DLC at this point. It would make sense to include a few hype newcomers for post release content.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Impa and Dixie for the much-needed female representation. Both are extremely unlike the 'traditional' female roles as well. And then we could also have King K.Rool and Ganon / Ghirahim / Vaati as the villain representation. I do not see why they wouldn't expand the roster and my dong with these additions if they would bring so much in Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom