• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Over Takamaru. Over Lip. Over Mach Rider. How does it feel, retro fans? How does it feel? :troll:
Honestly it'd feel logical and deserved.

A retro character known all over the world that was ported with Super Mario Bros on the NES getting in over two Japan exclusives and what is essentially Captain Falcon's predecessor?

Yeah **** that lot; the dog is by far the only retro that hasn't had a recent revival I'd consider an All Star. Him and Balloon Fighter anyway. Excitebiker and Mach Rider probably a distant third and fourth.

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
Well, Ghirahim down. That sucks, but at least he's an AT. Better than nothing, I guess, at least they had him in mind.

About that "10 characters I want the most, let's see..."

1. Ridley
2. King K. Rool
3. Ganondorf
4. Isaac
5. Wolf
6. Mr. Game & Watch
7. Wario
8. Mewtwo
9. Shulk
10. Chorus Kids / Duck Hunt

I'd have thrown Ghirahim in there, but...

Mabataki

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4167-4743-1372
Alright i'll post my top 10.
Well 3 of my top 10 already got in (Greninja, Rosalina, and Little Mac) so here is my top 7
1. Rayman
2. Bowser Jr
3. Dixie
4. K Rool
5. Isaac
6. Tails or Knuckles
7. Weavile (not likely at all but you can't say he wouldn't be cool)

JFM2796

Smash Journeyman
I never thought a Zelda newcomer was likely or even necessary (especially compared to DK and Metroid) so I'm not phased at all by this deconfirmation.

In the off chance Zelda does get a newcomer, at least Ganon is now more likely.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I never thought a Zelda newcomer was likely or even necessary (especially compared to DK and Metroid) so I'm not phased at all by this deconfirmation.

In the off chance Zelda does get a newcomer, at least Ganon is now more likely.
You mean Impa. If Throphy Theory works for Ridley, then it works for Impa to.

Newcomers I'm still hopeful of are for me:

Impa
King K.Rool
Dixie Kong
Isaac
Paper Mario

And there's Mewtwo of course.

Am hoping to see at least half of them as playable characters.

KageJuin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1349-7001-8814
I am so happy Girahim is NOT in.
I hope Vaati makes it in on uniqueness and relevance to the series muahaha

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
3 Zeldas playable? I don't think so. And I see no reason to believe that Ganon would be anything else than Ganondorf's Final Smash.

Impa is all that's left. Especially considering the Trophy Theory.
You're acting as if three Zeldas is an impossibility. This reminds me of a Fortune Cookie I once ate...

The only certainty is that nothing is certain.

Last edited:
NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
If we are going to get a Zelda newcomer and Ghirahim is sadly out of consideration, I'd love to see a Goron. Darunia, maybe. I know he's not as relevant as Impa, for example, but it would be nice. Vaati or Zant would be cool too.

I'd rather not have Tetra or Toon Zelda. We have two Zeldas already, I want more variety.

xyt4n

Smash Cadet
My Top 10 characters, which I am missing are:
01. King K. Rool
02. Mr. G&W
03. Bomberman
04. Wario
05. Mewtwo
06. Ridley
07. Paper Mario
08. Medusa
09. Krystal
10. Vaati

Seriously, we need a LoZ and DK Newcomer and the Star Fox Franchise should have at least 3 characters in this game.
The LoZ does not get any love from Sakurai. We have only 2 unique characters, the remains are just clones.. So sad.
And if Mewtwo does not get in this game, because of Lucario..

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
My Top 10 characters, which I am missing are:
01. King K. Rool
02. Mr. G&W
03. Bomberman
04. Wario
05. Mewtwo
06. Ridley
07. Paper Mario
08. Medusa
09. Krystal
10. Vaati

Seriously, we need a LoZ and DK Newcomer and the Star Fox Franchise should have at least 3 characters in this game.
The LoZ does not get any love from Sakurai. We have only 2 unique characters, the remains are just clones.. So sad.
And if Mewtwo does not get in this game, because of Lucario..
At least he put Gdorf in. He wasn't going to be in at all at first.

Anyway, as a non-zelda fan I just want Lana.

Last edited:

zauberdragon

Smash Journeyman
I didn't really have any strong opinions on Ghirahim. Skyward Sword is, how shall I put it, not my favourite Zelda game but I thought Ghirahim was popular and unique enough to warrant a slot.

My personal pick for a Zelda newcomer has always been Tetra. Her sass levels are off the chart.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
3DS Roster.png

Ok, Im pretty sure the leaked roster is not the final one (call it a gut hunch), and this is my guess on what is. How happy would y'all be on it? Also, feedback? Went for a more Melee design...

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
A few thoughts,

If the leak is real I am fine with a 48 character roster, maybe 49 with mewtwo, cause that would mean I was right about predicting roster size.

However, I hope the rumors/speculation about Dixie, Ridley and a few others being in and having no Lucas DLC are not true, because that would not only mean I was wrong about the roster size, but I would not get my Lucas back.

I either wanna be right, or I wanna be happy :p

I'm glad everyone can finally shut up about Ghirahim.

If the leak is true I am theorizing that Dark Pit, Doctor Mario, and Lucina were all originally intended as elaborate alt costumes, but in the interests of fleshing out the roster Sakurai decided to give them separate slots since they were already designed and easier to add in than giving Wolf and Lucas their spot back since they would have required work from scratch. This would also have meant the roster would have been originally 45 characters, which is very consistent with Sakurai's original comments about balancing issues and having a smaller roster, and more consistent with my original prediction of a 44 character roster.

Last edited:

Niala

Smash Ace
I think the worst thing about this Ghirahim AT reveal is that now he stands no chance in the future, unless, of course, he starts making random appearances in the main series all over the place. Right now is his prime, in the future he won't hold the relevance he does now, and likely won't pull a Little Mac.

Saddest day in Smash speculation for me tbh

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
I have to say, I'm thrilled for the Duck Hunt Dog. I've seen many support him over the years and I'm glad that this leak looks to confirm him. He looks to be quite the unique character as well!

My apologies to the Ghirahim fans. Sakurai is really playing out the cards very slowly.

Last edited:

xyt4n

Smash Cadet
Sheik ain't a clone.
This will be my first SSB, so I'm not very familiar with the characters. But I heard something that Sheik and Zelda are very close to eachtothers. Maybe the final Smash?

At least he put Gdorf in. He wasn't going to be in at all at first.

Anyway, as a non-zelda fan I just want Lana.
Lana is so cute! I would love it, to have her in SSB, but she is from Hyrule Warriors, so I dont think she has a chance.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
This will be my first SSB, so I'm not very familiar with the characters. But I heard something that Sheik and Zelda are very close to eachtothers. Maybe the final Smash?

Lana is so cute! I would love it, to have her in SSB, but she is from Hyrule Warriors, so I dont think she has a chance.
The only thing that makes me think she might end up in Smash 5 is because she's on the Box art of the game, meaning she might have some importance later on in the series. I hope so, cause then I'd have a reason to play a main Zelda game.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
So, I was completely wrong on putting him on my roster.

Really I was sure he was the one teased. Like now, I don't know because I actually would need to confess it: I'm mostly neutral on impa because I don't know her. I never beat skyward sword until the end and I don't think I'll do it one day.

As for vaati, I like him, but I still wonder if he could still get in while not being from skyward sword. The tease seems to hint at skyward sword character and Impa is the last one related to the music and the trophy in a common way.

So, I guess his spot would be taken by Impa, but I'll be very cautious on this one. Being wrong once is really annoying so I think you'll understand if I say [quite likely] instead of [pretty likely]. It's purely for safety.

The fact that I don't now her may have to do with this.

As for the scope of this deconfirmation, it's clear that speculation is coming to an end soon. Maybe thee's other big like this and as I just got a quite confusing tease...

I'll have to be careful from now on.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I'd still rather see Mach Rider over the Duck Hunt Dog, but I'll admit that he is probably the most iconic retro character.

I can't rate anymore rosters. I don't really like the "leaked" characters too much as well as some of the decisions. It's good to see others enjoying the characters though.

Last edited:

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
@ TCT~Phantom TCT~Phantom
Your roster is huge with 60, though I cannot complain with it. My happiness level is the same level my roster rating would be. My rating of your roster is: :4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon: out of 10 HYESZ!
Broken record line: You have lots of newcomers, 21 exactly, since I don't count Mii Fighters anymore on the main roster.
I'm happy not only with the newcomer amount, but also Sceptile's inclusion because my opinion of him is subjective.

In reality I don't see all 3 Chorus kids playable when IC's have their issues & that's 2 climbers, not 3. Again with the huge roster comment it's huge but it's mostly what the fans want. I don't believe every veteran will return though it would be fantastic. That's all from me.

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
View attachment 22435
Ok, Im pretty sure the leaked roster is not the final one (call it a gut hunch), and this is my guess on what is. How happy would y'all be on it? Also, feedback? Went for a more Melee design...
The leak roster is meant to be the final one, considering it's supposed to be a picture of the ESRB DVD that has to show all the content. The leaker isn't actually playing the game.

Anyways I personally think the final roster will have all the Brawl vets except Squirtle and Ivysaur and maybe Snake.
As for others, I think Mewtwo, King K, Duck Hunt Dog (I don't believe the leak, I've thought this for a while now), Shulk and maybe Isaac and Ridley will be the last batch of newcomers. Some hidden, some not.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Mario and Dr. Mario look the same, is that what you are saying?

Besides that, Dr. Mario doesn't look like he is smiling like Mario is.

Gre ninja'd

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1693-2965-0889
I guess I'll do my top 10 most wanted characters
1. Shulk
2. K Rool
3. Duck hunt dog
4. Mewtwo
5. Ridley
6. Ganondorf
7. Jigglypuff
8. Vaati
9. Game & watch
10. Bandana dee

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I think the worst thing about this Ghirahim AT reveal is that now he stands no chance in the future, unless, of course, he starts making random appearances in the main series all over the place. Right now is his prime, in the future he won't hold the relevance he does now, and likely won't pull a Little Mac.

Saddest day in Smash speculation for me tbh
Personally I think this is exactly why he and other one-time Zelda villains are never picked, they just aren't worthwhile inclusions going forward, especially not in comparison to the rest of the Zelda cast.

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman
No, no, nooooooooo! Sweet Mary mother of Jesus Joseph and Muhammad!

Ghirahim!

If Ghirahim dies, then he's bringing K.rool, Ridley, impa, vaatii, mewtwo, and Dixie with him! Muwahahah!

Never surrender!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom