• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
To be fair, a leak can be one hundred percent accurate and still not be a true leak- there is not really a way to know if it was a leak or a guess, even if all of the stated information game to fruition.
Wait, what?

mark welford

Smash Ace
the most realistic roster = no more newcomers barring dark pit and shulk?
whatever you say
shulk I am alright with but with dark pit I do not really what happens to him everyone else I listed I do not agree with. this is my 111th post! LOL thought I point that out

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I think "full of" is an exaggeration, but I'll respect your distaste for them regardless.
I actually like clones and semiclones, is just that I don't understand why people add like 4 or 5 of them because Lucina.
Maybe just one more is likely, but Lucina was an exception, in my opinion.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
I actually like clones and semiclones, is just that I don't understand why people add like 4 or 5 of them because Lucina.
Maybe just one more is likely, but Lucina was an exception, in my opinion.
I understand, and didn't want to go overboard myself, either. I wanted to go with characters that could have potentially gone through the same process as Lucina, which is especially shown through Dark Pit.

Morbi

Scavenger
Hate to derail the thread into another Dark Pit discussion, but after some thinking, I feel Dark Pit is either a boss (which is reasonable given the logic that supports the concept) or a playable character. Not an alt.

Reasoning:

1. Dark Pit Staff; It's going to be a part of him somehow. Can't really wield it if he's an alt.
2. Three Sacred Treasures; Only Pit uses them. Dark Pit does not wield them. Yes, there are examples in Smash where canon is broken, even by the Treasures themselves (they've been destroyed), but having Pittoo use them seems rather awkward.
3. Palutena Bow and Silver Bow have different properties in Uprising, with stronger melee capability and stronger projectiles at closer range (opposite of every other Bow) as an example. Unless Sakurai's completely ok with keeping the two Bows at the same exact properties, there's a Lucina-esque issue at hand.
I feel precisely the same way, good friend. It is somewhat ironic that it is least likely than he returns as a glorified alternate costume, it is, of course, possible. However, the allusion in the trailer more likely than not, entails something more prominent for him. Final Smash a la Nook is out of the question. So a stage-boss is certainly logical.

mark welford

Smash Ace
I will explain why certain characters irritate me it is not the characters themselves it is the fans that irritate me the begging b*tching and crying they do that is what irritates me and that their is more important things than just these characters also fans must realize if these character do not make it in it is not the end of the world and even if the characters don't make it in the world will keep spinning people will still go about their daily lives.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
I will explain why certain characters irritate me it is not the characters themselves it is the fans that irritate me the begging b*tching and crying they do that is what irritates me and that their is more important things than just these characters also fans must realize if these character do not make it in it is not the end of the world and even if the characters don't make it in the world will keep spinning people will still go about their daily lives.
I'm irritated by obnoxious fans just as much as the next guy, but I'm not going to let that change/forge my opinions on who I think is fit for Smash. I'm proud to call myself, for example, a Ridley supporter, but, I must admit that seeing those drooling monkeys on Miiverse is still humiliating. :S

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
The more I think of the prospect of Dark Pit, the more I think I'd be okay with him. I enjoyed Uprising in general and liked the characters.

I DO think however that people are getting a wee bit ahead of themselves. He's no shoe in.

Jman0625

Smash Cadet
NNID
jman0625
3DS FC
1762-2784-3619
So I'm new to this discussion about how many characters are we predicting for this game? Like 48-53? Also I agree that Shulk and Choir Boys (I believe that is their in game name)/ Marshall have a fair shot. Also are people here more pro K Rool or Pro Dixie?

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
The information could be correct; however, that does not necessarily mean that the source had insider information. It implies that perhaps he guessed and was fortunate enough to be completely and utterly accurate.
K', thanks for clearing that up. The way that was worded condused me a bit there.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Should I bother naming what's wrong with this? Nah, that's probably a bad idea. After all, can't miss the roster party:

I quite enjoy the layout, it is very aesthetically charming, and the characters to the left (Mario, DK, Kirby, Pikachu, Link) make utmost sense.
I remain steadfast that the Mii characters cannot possibly be a regular character icon, but must be a separate tool bar elsewhere.
I think that Masked Man is a poor choice, or if so he would just go by his actual name despite the spoiler to a game no one can play anyway (and Lucina proves spoilers, still, mean nothing in this game).

So, in keeping with that design, because I think it is awesome, I'd say- take out Mii fighters and make it a space bar near the top or bottom (along with a random space bar which I believe is personally best suited as not an icon, but that is debatable), move WFT over to the edge, and in the stead of Mii's and Masked man put retro character and Isaac in.
Bottom row I would remove Snake and Random for Mewtwo and a character of your choosing.
Up top, I'd switch out Impa for either Vaati or Ganon (well, I'd prefer o switchout Sheik for Vaati, if I made the game) and Id move Dark Pit into the dumpster for Paper Mario or Captain Toad.

Character substitutions aside, it really would just be the absence of Snake, Masked Man, Dark Pit, Impa. But masked man and the mii fighters look strangest to me.

Morbi

Scavenger
The more I think of the prospect of Dark Pit, the more I think I'd be okay with him. I enjoyed Uprising in general and liked the characters.

I DO think however that people are getting a wee bit ahead of themselves. He's no shoe in.
Who believes that he is a shoe-in? I would like to meet this man and shake his hand. :troll:

I am glad that you are more open to it though, it means a lot that you are actually considering it.

KageJuin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1349-7001-8814
Morbid Altruism. Man. I missed you
I love how you present some evidence.
I feel most people don't understand what sakurai is saying because they don't WANT to see a certain character on the roster.
If you use logic and all the information that is present it is easy to piece it together.

In early dev stages there was no greninja, just pokemon X/Y as he revealed during an interview.
He also showed that he puts all characters he considers ON AN INTERNAL ROSTER.
If the leak was based off of this roster then Chrom HAD to be one it, since Sakurai tried to make something out of him, but decided Robin is way more interesting, while he can't over represent Fire Emblem either.

Man... click the link in my sig people. Sakurai's Secret will set your closed minds free :p

HOORAY FOR DARK PIT!!!

he is all but confirmed.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Who believes that he is a shoe-in? I would like to meet this man and shake his hand. :troll:

I am glad that you are more open to it though, it means a lot that you are actually considering it.
As long as he himself would play differently from Pit and would be justified as a "semi-clone", I think I'll be fine with it. As long as he literally wouldn't be like a straight up clone (because he honestly isn't one in game). I think they'd change the upperdash arm and the final smash at the least.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Reasoning:

1. Dark Pit Staff; It's going to be a part of him somehow. Can't really wield it if he's an alt.
2. Three Sacred Treasures; Only Pit uses them. Dark Pit does not wield them. Yes, there are examples in Smash where canon is broken, even by the Treasures themselves (they've been destroyed), but having Pittoo use them seems rather awkward.
3. Palutena Bow and Silver Bow have different properties in Uprising, with stronger melee capability and stronger projectiles at closer range (opposite of every other Bow) as an example. Unless Sakurai's completely ok with keeping the two Bows at the same exact properties, there's a Lucina-esque issue at hand.
I agree, but I remember having a good debate, many many pages back, about Paper Mario where it was you that claimed he could be a clone of Mario. I also stated similar reasons why he wouldn't appear as a clone.

I'm not saying Paper Mario can't be a clone, but I'd like to say that it's possible for Dark Pit to be a clone.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
So I'm new to this discussion about how many characters are we predicting for this game? Like 48-53? Also I agree that Shulk and Choir Boys (I believe that is their in game name)/ Marshall have a fair shot. Also are people here more pro K Rool or Pro Dixie?
1) People go either 51 slots, 53 characters (Mii Fighters being 3 characters in one slot) in a 4x13 with random or 5x11 for 56 in 54 with random, most commonly. I believe in the former with Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Snake being the only cuts from Brawl, Shulk and Marshal being 2 newcomers and the other 2 being a mystery ("Realistically" expecting Bandanna Dee and K.Rool)
2) They're Chorus Men in japanese and Glee Club in english.
3) It's pretty polarizing both ways, not sure which side has more people. People argue K.Rool because he's a villain and Dixie because Lucina was lucky to move from an alt to a clone.
Welcome to Smashboards.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Hate to derail the thread into another Dark Pit discussion, but after some thinking, I feel Dark Pit is either a boss (which is reasonable given the logic that supports the concept) or a playable character. Not an alt.

Reasoning:

I wouldn't expect him to use all of these things though, notably the staff doesn't sound like an essential even if it might be important to him in the game itself, he is most certainly going to be a clone after all and looking at Lucina it doesn't seem like they have to make them all that distinct. They're probably going to take some liberties to make Dark Pit easy to develop I imagine, not unlike what they did with Ganondorf.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I agree, but I remember having a good debate, many many pages back, about Paper Mario where it was you that claimed he could be a clone of Mario. I also stated similar reasons why he wouldn't appear as a clone.
Yes, but the argument was the concept that he could be a clone vs. the concept that he couldn't be a clone.
I agreed that it would make more sense for Paper Mario to not be one, but that there was still the possibility that he could be one.

However, we're not talking Dark Pit's capability of being a clone, which he easily can be, we're talking about his capability of being an alt, which would mean that he has absolutely no difference whatsoever from Pit aside from voice.
Which would be more than reasonable if it weren't for what I listed.

If it were the possibility of being a clone, then those issues wouldn't be so prevalent. Even as a clone, he could still use the Dark Pit Staff somewhere (much like Paper Mario can still have a hammer as a clone), could have a different Final Smash, and could have the different properties in his weapons.
Can't really do all of that as an alt.

Last edited by a moderator:

Morbi

Scavenger
I honestly feel if he is playable, he'd have to be 100% unique. There would be no other reason to not have him revealed at E3 imo.

With that said, I don't think he is playable.
Unfortunately, there is no way that Dark Pit will ever be "100%" unique. He has to have some similarities, similar to Wolf. He is his own character; however, he has similar specials and whatnot.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Yes, but the argument was the concept that he could be a clone vs. the concept that he couldn't be a clone.
I agreed that it would make more sense for Paper Mario to not be one, but that there was still the possibility that he could be one.

However, we're not talking Dark Pit's capability of being a clone, which he easily can be, we're talking about his capability of being an alt, which would mean that he has absolutely no difference whatsoever from Pit aside from voice.
Which would be more than reasonable if it weren't for what I listed.

If it were the possibility of being a clone, then those issues wouldn't be so prevalent. Even as a clone, he could still use the Dark Pit Staff somewhere (much like Paper Mario can still have a hammer as a clone), could have a different Final Smash, and could have the different properties in his weapons.
Can't really do all of that as an alt.
Alright, I see now. Yes I agree, in this case scenario, that would indeed make it impossible for Dark Pit to be an alt.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
I quite enjoy the layout, it is very aesthetically charming, and the characters to the left (Mario, DK, Kirby, Pikachu, Link) make utmost sense.
Thank you, the design took forever to figure out. Finally, I found a 57 slot layout, and went to bed. :p Dark Pit, you were NOT worth it xD lol jk

I remain steadfast that the Mii characters cannot possibly be a regular character icon, but must be a separate tool bar elsewhere.
I completely agree, but I'm content with my current design, and way too stubborn to go back to the drawing board! xD

I think that Masked Man is a poor choice, or if so he would just go by his actual name despite the spoiler to a game no one can play anyway (and Lucina proves spoilers, still, mean nothing in this game).
The "Masked Man" name has always been up in the air for me. I know next to nobody cares, and even I'd rather his actual name, but just to be safe, you know?

Anyhow, by no means do I consider him likely, don't get me wrong. He's my second most wanted, though, and I really don't see hm as all that unreasonable. Poor in terms of likelihood, definitely, but I, personally, don't believe he's a poor choice overall because he's an interesting character that's very different from MOTHER's two current representatives. From that, he'd have a fun and interesting moveset. Plus, I'm all but convinced that E3's MOTHER 3 joke means they're seriously considering localization, if not already working on it.

So, in keeping with that design, because I think it is awesome, I'd say- take out Mii fighters and make it a space bar near the top or bottom (along with a random space bar which I believe is personally best suited as not an icon, but that is debatable), move WFT over to the edge, and in the stead of Mii's and Masked man put retro character and Isaac in.
Bottom row I would remove Snake and Random for Mewtwo and a character of your choosing.
Up top, I'd switch out Impa for either Vaati or Ganon (well, I'd prefer o switchout Sheik for Vaati, if I made the game) and Id move Dark Pit into the dumpster for Paper Mario or Captain Toad.

Character substitutions aside, it really would just be the absence of Snake, Masked Man, Dark Pit, Impa. But masked man and the mii fighters look strangest to me.
I'll take the Space Bar thing into consideration for sure, that's a good idea. But, I'm rather tired at the moment, so I'll do it later.

With the suggestions themselves, all of them make sense to me (except for Captain Toad, sorry mate), but, being as stubborn as I am, I'll stand by my wish roster as it is. I try to keep it reasonable, though, which is why I bother showing it. I don't think anything on it is too far out there, even with some obviously biased choices like Masked Man and Dark Pit (ironic, cause I used to hate Dark Pit as a choice).

Morbi

Scavenger
Were not really too keen on Dark Pit yet, we just think he's either a boss, assist, or playable 50/50 at this point.
I certainly agree with this sentiment; wholeheartedly, in fact!

Let me fix that:
Speculation =/= "All but confirmed"
IMPRESSIVE!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDgD-2f-zjs[/collapse]

Thank you, the design took forever to figure out. Finally, I found a 57 slot layout, and went to bed. :p Dark Pit, you were NOT worth it xD lol jk

I completely agree, but I'm content with my current design, and way too stubborn to go back to the drawing board! xD

The "Masked Man" name has always been up in the air for me. I know next to nobody cares, and even I'd rather his actual name, but just to be safe, you know?

Anyhow, by no means do I consider him likely, don't get me wrong. He's my second most wanted, though, and I really don't see hm as all that unreasonable. Poor in terms of likelihood, definitely, but I, personally, don't believe he's a poor choice overall because he's an interesting character that's very different from MOTHER's two current representatives. From that, he'd have a fun and interesting moveset. Plus, I'm all but convinced that E3's MOTHER 3 joke means they're seriously considering localization, if not already working on it.

I'll take the Space Bar thing into consideration for sure, that's a good idea. But, I'm rather tired at the moment, so I'll do it later.

With the suggestions themselves, all of them make sense to me (except for Captain Toad, sorry mate), but, being as stubborn as I am, I'll stand by my wish roster as it is. I try to keep it reasonable, though, which is why I bother showing it. I don't think anything on it is too far out there, even with some obviously biased choices like Masked Man and Dark Pit (ironic, cause I used to hate Dark Pit as a choice).
I was the same way, Dark Pit was actually one of my least wanted newcomers as well, mostly because I supported Hades. That has obviously changed quite a bit.

Last edited:

Sebz

Luchador Extraordinaire

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Imadearosteryay

Explinations for the strange characters;
9-Volt: biasbiasbiasbiasbiasbias I LOVE 9-VOLT :U
Ghirahimimimimimimimim: I wanted to. :T
Black Shadow: Steal Ganon's moveset, give Ganon some swords/dark magic, everyone wins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom