• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman
Why are we still talking about leaks?
Chrous Kids and Shulk still have great chances regardless of the leak
Whenever it is true or false, it's probably outdated and should not be taken as the final verdict

Gematsu. DIE.

Last edited:

MeekMeek93

Smash Cadet
This is by far the most reasonable one I've seen, and this is almost my prediction. The only one I would add is Mewtwo.

Also, I will admit that Isaac is my one wish-list character - I don't think he'll be in, but I would love it.
Thanks for the feedback! I still don't think Mewtwo will make it back. If he were to return to Smash, he would likely be a boss for the Kalos Pokémon League or something (just speculating). The reason why is because we have seen that the maximum number of characters a franchise can have in Smash is about 5. We've seen that with the Mario and Zelda series, and even though the Pokémon series had 6 representatives in Brawl, three of them were used for one slot. Pokémon already has 4 slots, and obviously Jigglypuff will make it back in to bring the rep count to 5. Plus, I think that if Mewtwo were placed back in, then Lucario would be taken out since they kind of share similar movesets (not really but they're attacks sort of line up with each other the most out of all the other Pokémon reps). So no Mewtwo since there can only be, at the most, 5 reps per franchise. We've seen that with Mario, Zelda, and now we're seeing that with the Pokémon series.

I put Isaac in because he was an assist trophy in Brawl who gained lots of attention over time. Also, we didn't see him with the other Assist Trophies at all during the Smash Direct, and he was even absent from the demos at E3 and Comic Con. Smash promoted Little Mac from an assist to a character, why not do the same for another assist?

Also if my theory is correct, then we might see Takamaru get promoted from an assist in Smash 4 to a character for Smash 5 haha.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
No one is counting out the first half of the leak. This is the thing that people keep failing to realize. The first half was legit! Its the SECOND half that has absolutely nothing going for it. Palutena? Everyone expected her, and she was already leaked anyway (the fact that the leak later turned out to be a good fake meant nothing, it was months before it was determined to be fake). Pokemon from X/Y? Not a valid argument, anyone could guess that. Chrom? Never on the final roster. You don't just make a "mistake" like that, and if its outdated, how the hell is it outdated before the roster was even finalized?
The information is believed to be about 2 years old. Which would suggest that it was early on in development. We have no way of knowing how far Chrom made it, as a Japanese man using the word "considered" is far different from our usage of it. We simply don't know.

@ Johnknight1 Johnknight1 and @thethirdkoopa have been discussing it, and they believe it might have been a miscommunication between teams. They believe that there are different teams working on different characters, hence why Sal hasn't gotten everybody, and that the plans were changed without everybody knowing. That isn't uncommon in game development apparently. TK would know. He's a game developer.

Misinformation? The rest of the leak is completely invalid and cannot be relied on for speculation.
Of course it can be used in speculation. If this guy is in the know in development, then there is legitimacy to the second leak, regardless of whether or not those characters were easy guess. Everybody knows Palutena was pretty much a given. Pretty much everybody. However, if the second leak has nothing going for it, how did he change the name from Mii to "Mii Fighter" just before E3?

Not to mention, why risk everything with Chorus Men? An off the wall character that would automatically wreck everything.

Chorus Men and Shulk are still possible, but the chances of Chorus Men are slim-to-none as there's plenty of other more notable Rhythm Heaven characters who'd be far more likely to be playable. And since any moveset with these characters would have to be developed from scratch anyway, it doesn't particularly matter which character is made playable.
I don't see how any of that makes them any less likely. The only other character that I could see getting in over them is Marshal, and that would be because of technical issues.

If these were early plans, then Sakurai getting the rights to Shulk (as others have said) would pretty much lead to him being playable unless things went sour. As I said, Chorus Men are probably going to be in the game, and again, if the Chrom part is true, then that could be identical to what happens with a Rhythm Heaven character in general. Basically, X character was considered/planned, but we chose this character instead. That could easily happen with Rhythm Heaven.

I'd bet anything that if Chorus Men were revealed in April, that everybody would be believing the leak. Even if Chrom isn't playable. Chorus Men will and in my opinion always have been the hinge for this leak. It all hinges on them.

Khoru

Smash Champion
okay but why does everyone continue to say "chorus men"
it's like instinctively saying "gekkouga" or "reflet"

D

Deleted member

To be fair, we have someone here (I think it was Young Horsetail) who kept referring to Greninja as Gekkouga just because it sounded better to him.

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
So we're sharing dream rosters now?

Go big or go home. And yes, I know my icons are a mess and inconsistent, been meaning to fix that but haven't got around to it.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord

I don't know if we still do predictions after Chrom was deconfirmed, but I want to know
on a scale of 1 - 10, how likely is this outcome?

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I'm actually going to tell you why I didn't want to do roster, but it might change now.

I don't like mixing want and expect. The character I want the most was pretty much in the dark for speculation. This means that I had no particular reasons to even expect him if I put him on my roster. The problem is that I'm just way too biased to not put him in so I'd better not do any roster.

But with that stage, I have a reason to expect him now. So, I might do a roster at one point.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
My "Dream Roster" would probably offend people. So, I'd rather not post it. Even though, it's a Dream Roster.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
I think I'd actually be alright with a Toon Zelda, a short and fast Magic user could be pretty fun to play as

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
If people doubt that either of the 2 first Sal leaks were true at some point, then they're stupid.

It's pretty simple.

Brawl had a legitimate leaker (I forget her name) who leaked THE ENTIRE PLAYABLE ROSTER but thought Gardevoir was Rosalina.

Because she got that one detail wrong, people called her a liar, and threatened her in various ways.

The fact people think one missed detail = everything is a lie shows how utterly brain dead they are.

They truly are the lowest common denominator of posters and speculators on this site, which says something considering how much the Smash 4 boards lacks in emotional intelligence a lot of the time.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
If people doubt that either of the 2 first Sal leaks were true at some point, then they're stupid.

It's pretty simple.

Brawl had a legitimate leaker (I forget her name) who leaked THE ENTIRE PLAYABLE ROSTER but thought Gardevoir was Rosalina.

Because she got that one detail wrong, people called her a liar, and threatened her in various ways.

The fact people think one missed detail = everything is a lie shows how utterly brain dead they are.

They truly are the lowest common denominator of posters and speculators on this site, which says something considering how much the Smash 4 boards lacks in emotional intelligence a lot of the time.
What do you mean by thinking Gardevoir was Rosalina?

100% agree though. I think he has credibility. I always bring up the Pokebeach leak: probably 90-95% accurate info, with a couple of messed up or downright false information. Still very viable.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
This whole paragraph is wrong. No one replaced anybody. Chrom was only considered and never planned.
Sorry, that was the intention to say that, came out differently.

The whole argument I was trying to make was that the leak was outdated, and while Chrom was considered, he didnt make it in, Robin and Lucina did.

Point is, Xenoblade has only one character they can add (anyone else would be pretty "wtf") while Chorus men could be replaced with any number of RH characters, much like how FE has a ton of viable options for additions. Chorus men may have been considered at one point, much like Chrom, but could have been passed over for someone else, just like Chrom.

Of course, if you dont think the leak was true in any sense, lets just agree to disagree about that.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger

It's pretty simple.

No. We were quite intelligent and correct, if we blatantly disregarded EVERY aspect of the leak, we might have been "stupid."

My complaints

1. Dark Pit and Toon Zelda
2. Tap Dancer
3. No DK newcomer

Other than that, it's not really that unique.
Do you have a logical reason that explains why Dark Pit is not plausible?

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
At this point, i honestly believe gematsu is all we're getting, and anything else would be a bonus at this point.
(but people want to speculate so i just roll with it)
Do you have a logical reason that explains why Dark Pit is not plausible?

(/s)

Last edited:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
What do you mean by thinking Gardevoir was Rosalina?
This girl who leaked stuff for Brawl thought the Pokéball Pokémon Gardevoir was an Assist Trophy character that was Rosalina.

They got it mixed up, and it was dubbed "FAKE! FAKE!" by morons.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
At this point, i honestly believe gematsu is all we're getting, and anything else would be a bonus at this point.
(but people want to speculate so i just roll with it)

(/s)
Funny thing, that's exactly what people said right before Lucina and Robin were announced (and Chrom disconfirmed).

Morbi

Scavenger
Do you have a logical reason that explains why Dark Pit is plausible?
Indeed. Have you not read any of my posts? Or are you admitting that you blatantly adhere to confirmation bias? There is quite a lot of circumstantial evidence in favor of Dark Pit. It might not yield anything; however, it certainly separates him from the other "impossible" characters (I would argue that anyone is inept at speculation if they disregard a character because they do not personally find them to be likely, no one here is an authority on the matter). I digress, Dark Pit was featured prominently in Kid Icarus Uprising, a fairly popular 3DS title that was rebooted none of than Sora Ltd. It might not be obvious at first glance, but this is, in fact, the same team that develops Smash! Imagine that. Regardless, this game turned him into an original character from a Smash palette (which gives him Smash relevance and by extension a reoccurring role). Dark Pit was featured in an unprecedented cliff-hanger that insinuates another part of the trailer, or at least that something is amiss. While we are speaking about Dark Pit in Smash, Sakurai gives Kid Icarus preferential treatment which refutes the "Sakurai is biased for his own series that is not really even his own series even though he decides the entire Smash roster." Completely and utterly arbitrary, but it is quite popular, so people cling to it with their wretched malformed hands. Kid Icarus is treated as one of the bigger Nintendo series within Smash as it is a front-runner overtly compared to Mario, Legend of Zelda, Pokemon, Kirby, Star Fox and whatnot. Dark Pit could most accurately be compared to the equivalent of Shulk in regards to actual evidence composed of tweets and pictures. I will admit, Shulk has Project Rainfall over Dark Pit; however, it is odd that there is such a discrepancy in their favors based on this one sentiment when Dark Pit has much more observable merit. Lastly, he perfectly satisfies what a clone would satisfy. A quick and easy character that is somewhat popular, as evidenced by one of the tweets. I am going to include this quote and all of its context so that it is easier to comprehend.

I would assert that there is only one way to interpret this; however, the good people of Smashboards have defied the laws of language once more and decided that there are multiple methods by which to understand the information.

Here is the simple answer: similar =/= congruent

Initially, I had considered including Lucina as one of Marth's alternate costumes. After all, she has a close relationship with him in FE:A. In such cases, even if two characters' names and voices differ, as long as they function the same way, I assign them as alternate costumes. The Wii Fit Trainers, Villagers, and Robin are examples of this setup.

However, even though Lucina shares her physical stats and techniques with Marth, the characteristics of their attacks differ. When two such similar characters function in an even slightly different manner, I give them a separate spot on the roster since that will affect battle records and whatnot. In that sense, you could say she was very lucky to join the fray!

Feel free to pretend as though he is impossible though. :troll:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
No evidence at all?

- Chrom is not in the game
- Shulk was not revealed on Monday.
The former was 1 wrong character, the latter was in the 4th leak.

Also, one wrong doesn't make the whole thing wrong. Besides that, Sakurai's words back up as proof that Chrom was planned roughly 2-3 years ago.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Also, one wrong doesn't make the whole thing wrong. Besides that, Sakurai's words back up as proof that Chrom was planned roughly 2-3 years ago.
Actually, the quote was that he considered him but decided not to use him.
At no point did he say Chrom was planned.

Anyway, well, it looks like we're talking about Dark Pit again. I'm out of here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom