• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I've mentioned before that, yes, Paper Mario probably wouldn't be a clone. I don't think it matters, though, we don't need yet another "alternate version" of an existing character. If we must represent the Mario RPG's, let's get Fawful in here instead.
That really has to do with Sakurai and how he decided to push the general repping of the game.

In fact, own series or not doesn't affect chances.

Also, I did played superstar saga and let's just say that from what I heard before, I found that it was a little too boring compared to what I've heard. So, let's just say I'm neutral on him, but there's one thing I just want to know.

It seems to be implied, but I may make assumptions here. Would people be ok if the M&L series get things like music or even maybe an assist while the Paper Mario one would end up with trophies only?

Because I seem to see recently some perspective that would be a yes, but I really don't get it. For me, it's give Paper Mario a minimum amount of rep to then rep M&L if you want, but getting what happened with SSE again just would be underwhelming. Btw, why choosing this music in brawl? Even as I don't like this series that much, I can confirm that a lot of choices were way better.

I don't know, but it might just be me that has an issue with it.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Happy Mask Salesman as Mokujin for Smash!

But actually, I wanna ask again, what do people feel in regards to a mokujin for smash?
I thought you meant the actual character...

In regards to a Mimic character in Smash, that's actually something I'd like to see.
A character that randomly selects the moveset of a different humanoid character every match.

Then again, I can't think of a character that could pull that off where it would actually make sense.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
That really has to do with Sakurai and how he decided to push the general repping of the game.

In fact, own series or not doesn't affect chances.

Also, I did played superstar saga and let's just say that from what I heard before, I found that it was a little too boring compared to what I've heard. So, let's just say I'm neutral on him, but there's one thing I just want to know.

It seems to be implied, but I may make assumptions here. Would people be ok if the M&L series get things like music or even maybe an assist while the Paper Mario one would end up with trophies only?

Because I seem to see recently some perspective that would be a yes, but I really don't get it. For me, it's give Paper Mario a minimum amount of rep to then rep M&L if you want, but getting what happened with SSE again just would be underwhelming. Btw, why choosing this music in brawl? Even as I don't like this series that much, I can confirm that a lot of choices were way better.

I don't know, but it might just be me that has an issue with it.
If we get music from any Mario RPG's, I'd like music from both Paper Mario and M&L.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
I thought you meant the actual character...

In regards to a Mimic character in Smash, that's actually something I'd like to see.
A character that randomly selects the moveset of a different humanoid character every match.

Then again, I can't think of a character that could pull that off where it would actually make sense.
Yea that's what I was hoping you guys could help out with, I've been out of the current gaming circuit awhile, I'd really love to see a mimic of some kind

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Alright. The model I have may be incomplete, but I'll do my best:

Jab: Hammer
Side Smash: Hammer Slam
Down Smash: Short Stomp
Up Smash: Brick Break

Side Tilt: ???
Down Tilt: ???
Up Tilt: Coin Launch

Nair: ???
Fair: ???
Bair: ???
Dair: Goal Flag
Uair: Coin Launch

Neutral Special: Fireball > Fast Fireball > Big Fireball
Side Special: Green Shell > Red Shell > Blue Shell
Down Special: Mushroom > Fire Flower > Invincibility
Up Special: Jump > Hi Jump > Max Jump

Final Smash: Duck Hunt

It's a work-in-progress, but if enough people actually want to join in, I'll be glad to contact a moderator to create a thread for the character.
Please elaborate. What does these things do? How do they function? Unique properties? I understand that you are still working on it, but just saying Coin Launch and Green Shell isn't good enough. Describe the traits of these moves. Pros and Cons.

All I can say is "Invincibility" sounds pretty broken in a setting such as smash.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Yea that's what I was hoping you guys could help out with, I've been out of the current gaming circuit awhile, I'd really love to see a mimic of some kind
I have an idea.
Playable Alloys in Smash that mimic other character's fighting styles.

Red Alloy copies masculine fighters like Link, Captain Falcon, Samus, Marth, Ike.

Blue Alloy copies feminine fighters like Peach, Zelda, Zero Suit Samus, Lucina, Palutena.

Yellow alloy copies cartoonish humanoids like Mario, Luigi, Fox, Falco, Wario, Villager, Sonic, Mega Man.

Green Allow copies Kirby, Meta Knight, Jigglypuff.

Obviously, unless they create more alloys, not all characters are viable.
There you go. Mimic character.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
I have an idea.

Red Alloy copies masculine fighters like Link, Captain Falcon, Samus, Marth, Ike.

Blue Alloy copies feminine fighters like Peach, Zelda, Zero Suit Samus, Lucina, Palutena.

Yellow alloy copies cartoonish humanoids like Mario, Luigi, Fox, Falco, Wario, Villager, Sonic, Mega Man.

I could get behind this. And its even easier to port in than a real character model. I'd like a canon nintendo rep, but this is a great second option. Alloys for smash!

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I have an idea.

I think Mii's are going to be the new "Fighting Team" this time.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473

This guy should totally be a stage hazard on a Glitzpit Stage. He should do this:
and this
Like in the games.

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Fawful: he would be cool, but I don't think he really merits playability status. Also, I think a moveset would be somewhat hard to implement for him. Still, he'd be an awesome character to see.

Dimentio: Probably one of the most important characters in Super Paper Mario. He has all sorts of magic abilities but honestly, I'd find it a little hard to make a complete moveset that stays true to his character. However, it's not impossible. If Paper Mario were to appear in Smash, I think Dimentio would possibly be the second best character to introduce from that series

Paper Mario: The main antagonist protagonist of a different side of the Mario franchise. While he is still Mario, he's shown to have many other abilities to differ him from his counter-part. This is due to the fact that his series branched off of the main platforming series. Clearly in Smash, it doesn't matter if you are an alternate version of one character so that isn't stopping him. If half of the Zelda series can be composed of alternate versions of characters, then one alternate version of Nintendo's mascot isn't going to kill anyone. I understand if people don't like alternate versions of characters, I'm fine with that, but saying that these alternate characters have no potential or shouldn't be in the game is somewhat ludicrous. People support a wide variety of alternate characters due to one reason; we want to see the content that they're from and how they can implement it into Smash.
Also, I did played superstar saga and let's just say that from what I heard before, I found that it was a little too boring compared to what I've heard.
Really? I thought Superstar Saga was one of the best Mario games out there. I loved almost everything about it. I'd love to see Mario implement stuff from that series into his moveset, but that's a sin here apparently because Mario has to be boring and easy to use.

Last edited:

Doompatron3000

Smash Journeyman
DLC Roster (2).jpg

Characters I believe that could be DLC are in green. These characters would be clones of characters already in the game, which is much easier to create for DLC than unique characters. Although I don't believe we will actually get 9 DLC characters, these characters are the most likely, in my opinion, that could get in as DLC. You're welcome to replace Bowser Jr. with Paper Mario, although I see him, as more of a unique character, rather than another clone of Mario.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
View attachment 19101
Characters I believe that could be DLC are in green. These characters would be clones of characters already in the game, which is much easier to create for DLC than unique characters. Although I don't believe we will actually get 9 DLC characters, these characters are the most likely, in my opinion, that could get in as DLC. You're welcome to replace Bowser Jr. with Paper Mario, although I see him, as more of a unique character, rather than another clone of Mario.
-Every DLC character is a clone
-Claims Paper Mario could be a clone
-No Isaac
-but has Ghirahim so

10/10 great roster.

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
View attachment 19101
Characters I believe that could be DLC are in green. These characters would be clones of characters already in the game, which is much easier to create for DLC than unique characters. Although I don't believe we will actually get 9 DLC characters, these characters are the most likely, in my opinion, that could get in as DLC.
I'd replace either Medusa or Dark Pit, leaning more towards the latter, for a Pokémon, Wario, or Star Fox DLC character.

You're welcome to replace Bowser Jr. with Paper Mario, although I see him, as more of a unique character, rather than another clone of Mario.
Honestly, as a huge supporter for both of those characters, I find Paper Mario more likely to become more unique than Bowser Jr. But that is subjective.

Doompatron3000

Smash Journeyman
I'd replace either Medusa or Dark Pit, leaning more towards the latter, for a Pokémon, Wario, or Star Fox DLC character.

Honestly, as a huge supporter for both of those characters, I find Paper Mario more likely to become more unique than Bowser Jr. But that is subjective.
That's how I feel about Paper Mario. I feel Paper Mario could be a very unique character. This roster is more based on my belief that any DLC coming out would simply be clones of others characters, which is why you don't see Krystal or Sceptile on it.

Niala

Smash Ace
Fawful: he would be cool, but I don't think he really merits playability status. Also, I think a moveset would be somewhat hard to implement for him. Still, he'd be an awesome character to see.

Dimentio: Probably one of the most important characters in Super Paper Mario. He has all sorts of magic abilities but honestly, I'd find it a little hard to make a complete moveset that stays true to his character. However, it's not impossible. If Paper Mario were to appear in Smash, I think Dimentio would possibly be the second best character to introduce from that series

Paper Mario: The main antagonist of a different side of the Mario franchise. While he is still Mario, he's shown to have many other abilities to differ him from his counter-part. This is due to the fact that his series branched off of the main platforming series. Clearly in Smash, it doesn't matter if you are an alternate version of one character so that isn't stopping him. If half of the Zelda series can be composed of alternate versions of characters, then one alternate version of Nintendo's mascot isn't going to kill anyone. I understand if people don't like alternate versions of characters, I'm fine with that, but saying that these alternate characters have no potential or shouldn't be in the game is somewhat ludicrous. People support a wide variety of alternate characters due to one reason; we want to see the content that they're from and how they can implement it into Smash.

Really? I thought Superstar Saga was one of the best Mario games out there. I loved almost everything about it. I'd love to see Mario implement stuff from that series into his moveset, but that's a sin here apparently because Mario has to be boring and easy to use.
Antagonist?...

Anyway, I really do think that Paper Mario would be a wonderful addition. The character has a million things to choose from for his moveset, from partners to attacks to badges, and it all feels like it would flow very naturally in a character design.

I don't particularly care for either of the other two, though. I was never a big Mario&Luigi fan, (don't get me wrong, I've played them all, but I never found them as good as the Paper Mario games,) and Fawful never struck me as important or unique enough. I also find him grating as a character, so there's some level of bias.

Dimentio has a wonderful personality, but his main shtick is the dimensional warping thing he does, the little crystal balls he shoots at you, and... that's about it. I guess he locks you in a box one time and explodes it. I don't know if there's enough there for a character design for Smash, it would be really difficult and probably very liberal.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617

Paper Mario: The main antagonist of a different side of the Mario franchise. While he is still Mario, he's shown to have many other abilities to differ him from his counter-part. This is due to the fact that his series branched off of the main platforming series. Clearly in Smash, it doesn't matter if you are an alternate version of one character so that isn't stopping him. If half of the Zelda series can be composed of alternate versions of characters, then one alternate version of Nintendo's mascot isn't going to kill anyone. I understand if people don't like alternate versions of characters, I'm fine with that, but saying that these alternate characters have no potential or shouldn't be in the game is somewhat ludicrous. People support a wide variety of alternate characters due to one reason; we want to see the content that they're from and how they can implement it into Smash.

Really? I thought Superstar Saga was one of the best Mario games out there. I loved almost everything about it. I'd love to see Mario implement stuff from that series, but that's a sin here apparently.
I was actually surprised to what I heard after.

Like I heard A LOT about text qualities and honestly, it's good, but not that funny. I mean some jokes and references were good and silly, but it wasn't as awesome as I heard it was.

As for battles, I felt it was... way too simple. You have 2 times 2 regular attacks each turn and the 2 times, they are very similar. After, the bros attack basically turned out into being only useful with bosses and honestly, once you learned the inputs which you would by upgrading the attacks after using it repeatedly, you have pretty much 95% of success with the most advanced level so, why the inputs? I don't compare that to action command because it's too different, but I can see the purpose of them: being diverse, you have to learn a bunch of them that have different task. Here, there's 6 attack of 3 pattern of inputs that revolve on either pressing or mashing one of 2 buttons. And the sequence is always the same which just made me bored to use them after a while.

I didn't find the environment that appealing honestly. May be due to gba, but nothing really stuck me visually.

I do have to agree that on some parts, it was good enough to play the game. Final boss is way harder than I tough even after I knew how to beat him. But again, that was too constant. In fact, boss were good, but once you figured them out, that's it! You're done you just repeat the same pattern over and over for a long time (that's why it was good: long fight) which is challenging, but too basic. Also, Love battle themes.

And my biggest complains: the field move switch system. It was just frustrating to use. Why I have to press a trigger several times to only do one task to then press some times to do another and a diferent one after? Even when I figured out that both reset to jump, it wasn't enough. It was so annoying that I was confused several times the exact thing I need (who in front and what the back or front needs?). Not to mention that I enjoyed the funny voice acting, but it got ridiculous here to be insane.

Imagine: every time I press one trigger, I hear a voice. It's funny, but not when you don't even care since you're trying to figure out how to do the setup.

This actually wasted more my time and overall, affected my view on the game as it included frustration.

I really have a very mixed view on my experience, but I still agree would be good in smash. Like at least 3 music from that game were good enough or any assist. It's a matter of priority that I have worries...
Totally me now. Both are worthy in a good way and it's really matter of preferences to who you like. And I do feel the same for Paper Mario, but that's so subjective that it really doesn't changes chances at all.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Mewtwo will likely return.
:mewtwomelee::mewtwopm:
Well, there really isn't any good reason for why he shouldn't return, aside from a bunch of arbitrary theories, and he has all the makings of an excellent addition to the Smash roster. So yes, you could say that his return is likely based on that.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Sakurai's statement regarding Chrom's exclusion says hi.
Yeah, his response was a comparative statement.
That Chrom was not unique enough.
Not that he could not think of anything at all to do in any way.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Sakurai could've given Chrom an original moveset if he wanted to. He just looked at Chrom, looked and Robin, and chose Robin because Robin would bring something totally new. Chrom could've been a completely original fighter, that much is true. Sakurai's complaint was that Chrom wouldn't bring anything new to the table that Ike and Marth didn't already do.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Posting againg what I would consider, the best case scenario for a Roster.
The locked icon would be Shovel Knight.
Of course I do not expect this. I just would yearn for it.

[/quote]

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
View attachment 19101
Four Kid Icarus; Five Kirby; Seven Zelda; and Six Pokemon, which has always been tied for or even exceeded Mario.
Just pointing that out.
Also, *pointing to my avatar* that makes me quite a bit bias.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Posting againg what I would consider, the best case scenario for a Roster.
The locked icon would be Shovel Knight.
Of course I do not expect this. I just would yearn for it.

[/quote]

Poor Snake can't even make it in in the best scenario.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Poor Snake can't even make it in in the best scenario.[/quote]

Fair point, bad choice of words on my end

In the best case scenario I edit history and rectify past mistakes from Brawl, and his inappropriate self never made it into a game he was too mature for and unassociated with :X

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
"In order to make Rayman's trophy, we asked Ubisoft to share their references. We were expecting to receive 2D drawing references for Rayman, but to our surprise, they sent us data of a brand new 3D model that they rendered for this game!! And that was how this trophy was created. It takes a lot of work creating each model, so it's wonderful that the creators contributed their own efforts!!"

This was on the Smash Bros. Facebook. So Ubisoft made their own 3D Model, and sent it to Smash, which implies Smash probably tweaked it a bit. That may explain the two different models.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
eevee, waluigi, impa, team rocket, mike jobes

donbe, captain rainbow, kamek, fossil fighters, skull kid, anna

Poor Snake can't even make it in in the best scenario.
Fair point, bad choice of words on my end

In the best case scenario I edit history and rectify past mistakes from Brawl, and his inappropriate self never made it into a game he was too mature for and unassociated with :X[/quote]

At least replace with him an actual Konami rep. (Bomberman is awesome but he doesn't count, yeah Konami owns him, but he's all Hudsonsoft.)

Doompatron3000

Smash Journeyman
Four Kid Icarus; Five Kirby; Seven Zelda; and Six Pokemon, which has always been tied for or even exceeded Mario.
Just pointing that out.
Also, *pointing to my avatar* that makes me quite a bit bias.
If you read my post you would know a lot of those characters, such as half of the Kid Icarus reps, were possible clones that would appear as DLC. I'm not saying it's going to happen, or it won't happen, I just feel that clones are the easiest characters to make for DLC. Also like pattern, such as the infamous "Mario" theory can't be broken on the 4th game in the franchise, there's only been 3 other games before Smash 4. It's not like there's been 20 games before this one, and the Mario franchise has always had the most, or tied for the most, then changing it now after 20 some games would be messing with a core formula of the franchise.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
The issue I would take with replacing Snake with the truly ... fitting Konami rep, a certain Vampire slayer (is that what they do in that game? I guess that is what it appears to be), is that Bomberman is actually more fitting, and even if Bomberman is Hudson soft, they are owned by Konami, and I cannot see them being given two reps.

If you read my post you would know a lot of those characters, such as half of the Kid Icarus reps, were possible clones that would appear as DLC. I'm not saying it's going to happen, or it won't happen, I just feel that clones are the easiest characters to make for DLC. Also like pattern, such as the infamous "Mario" theory can't be broken on the 4th game in the franchise, there's only been 3 other games before Smash 4. It's not like there's been 20 games before this one, and the Mario franchise has always had the most, or tied for the most, then changing it now after 20 some games would be messing with a core formula of the franchise.
I did read your post. This quotation above me reads a bit angered, which was not my intend- I just gave my opinion. Clone or not, five kirby reps versus six Pokemon seems absurd to me. It's my opinion, and you do not have to agree, DLC or not. If it IS just DLC, then even still, it doesn't make sense to me that Pokemon would not get any representation in that department, being the single most marketable franchise Nintendo owns (proven in point by the entire phenomena of it existing in any form of merchandise you can imagine), and it has the highest potential of characters to actually merit clones. So even still I do not understand your argument.

As for Mario theory, that never held any ground. It was more fanmade than O12, and was self defeating, because Sakurai himself declared his own view that Melee had 26 characters (sheik), and Brawl had 39 (ZSS, the three Pokemon).

Edit: your point was simply that I said Pokemon has always had high representation, and that I criticized your roster for having low Pokemon representation in comparison. To that, I say, it has more to do with Sales of Pokemon and its prominence to Nintendo. But if that is honestly something that even needs to be debated, I will not even bring up the topic, because any world where Kid Icarus has four reps to Pokemons Six (about 4 prominent characters and 2 games compared to 800 characters, 20 games, 15 movies, 15 years of tv, 6 manga, a card game, every promotional item known to man, psychological studies as to how it exists in the market place in such a niche field outside of games, tv, comics---) if that can actually be overlooked, this discussion is not worth having.

Last edited:

Doompatron3000

Smash Journeyman
The issue I would take with replacing Snake with the truly ... fitting Konami rep, a certain Vampire slayer (is that what they do in that game? I guess that is what it appears to be), is that Bomberman is actually more fitting, and even if Bomberman is Hudson soft, they are owned by Konami, and I cannot see them being given two reps.

I did read your post. This quotation above me reads a bit angered, which was not my intend- I just gave my opinion. Clone or not, five kirby reps versus six Pokemon seems absurd to me. It's my opinion, and you do not have to agree, DLC or not. If it IS just DLC, then even still, it doesn't make sense to me that Pokemon would not get any representation in that department, being the single most marketable franchise Nintendo owns (proven in point by the entire phenomena of it existing in any form of merchandise you can imagine), and it has the highest potential of characters to actually merit clones. So even still I do not understand your argument.

As for Mario theory, that never held any ground. It was more fanmade than O12, and was self defeating, because Sakurai himself declared his own view that Melee had 26 characters (sheik), and Brawl had 39 (ZSS, the three Pokemon).

Edit: your point was simply that I said Pokemon has always had high representation, and that I criticized your roster for having low Pokemon representation in comparison. To that, I say, it has more to do with Sales of Pokemon and its prominence to Nintendo. But if that is honestly something that even needs to be debated, I will not even bring up the topic, because any world where Kid Icarus has four reps to Pokemons Six (about 4 prominent characters and 2 games compared to 800 characters, 20 games, 15 movies, 15 years of tv, 6 manga, a card game, every promotional item known to man, psychological studies as to how it exists in the market place in such a niche field outside of games, tv, comics---) if that can actually be overlooked, this discussion is not worth having.
Rereading it a couple of times, I realized that you weren't supporting the Mario theory, it's the way you worded your statement (and how I read it) that threw me off, and I apologize for that. As for why I did not add any Pokemon clones, I honestly really did not think about clones beyond Pichu. Sceptile was the only one I thought of adding, but, then I realized, he would probably be made as a unique character, but, I suppose he could be somewhat of a combination of Charizard and Greninja, so Sceptile could be in under my view of possible DLC I suppose....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom