• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Needles can be punished from 1/3 FD away after shielding, and Falcon's dtilt outranges Sheik's ground options so I don't think crouching would be very useful for her. Pikachu might be Falcon's worst MU though, but we haven't covered the matchup yet on the Falcon boards so I'm not gonna speculate too much about it. Based on my experience it's not worse than -2 though, and not even.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that one reason why I don't think Falcon particularly cares about crouching is that his dash attack and bair still hit any crouch in the game, and bair is safe on shield against any character. Dtilt and falling dair (particularly crossup) are also genuinely good tools in neutral, however they're both risky on shield and can be punished by many characters, although not Kirby or Jigglypuff.
Characters like G&W and Kirby legitimately can duck under Falcon's DA, and force him to space in very telegraphed ways allowing easier perfect shields or anti-airs. Falcon cares a lot about crouching when it takes away some of his biggest advantages in neutral in some specific matchups.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Really? People said Shadow Ball was transcendent and Indigo Jeans's frame data said (charged) Sun Salutation was.
I won't doubt my hitbox data buddy, but uncharged SS is not transcendent and I don't know enough about charged shadow ball, but I do know uncharged shadow ball clashes with things.

It just seemed like you were mistaking high damaging projectiles (samus charge shot, aura sphere) for being transcendent when they out prioritize most things.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
I think Aura Sphere actually may be transcendent (IIRC at least Piercing Aura Sphere is) but the others are not. I've seen them all clank.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Aura Sphere, Sun Salutation, and Shadow Ball all clank even at full charge.

Snaring Aura Sphere is transcendent, Piercing Aura Sphere seems to have "continue on clank" properties (despite not being labeled as such in Master Core) likely due to the nature of its piercing mechanics.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
No. It's probably one of the weirdest moves in the game. The Pits' Upperdash and Electroshock Arms perform a deflect when Reflector hits them and I think someone said some character's reflect, it might have been Mewtwo's Confusion, actually reflects Falco's Reflector, but I don't think it damages Falco at all.
Doesn't sound that weird to me. From what I understand Falco's reflector doesn't have a hitbox when returning. The move itself is probably like reflecting Link's boomerang when it's coming back, it keeps going in it's normal trajectory, but since they have a hit/windbox when returning, they still affect the owner, while Falco's reflector just stops doing anything when coming back so it doesn't do a thing when it's reflected.

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
Characters like G&W and Kirby legitimately can duck under Falcon's DA, and force him to space in very telegraphed ways allowing easier perfect shields or anti-airs. Falcon cares a lot about crouching when it takes away some of his biggest advantages in neutral in some specific matchups.
No one can duck under Falcon's dash attack. If they could it's because of using it too close to them or too far away, but the timing to hit them isn't strict at all. In my eyes the person crouching loses more than they gain for doing it; it's essentially a frame 1-2 spotdodge that only evades grabs, and when there's an essentially 50% chance that you'll be hit by a dash attack instead, it's a bad option.

If they're going to take the percentage lead and crouch all match instead, they'll have to figure out whether Falcon will throw out a bair, dair, nair or empty hop into grab from a shorthop, or react to when he'll release a downwards angled fsmash that'll potentially eat 80% of their shield, or when Falcon is just outside of their dtilt range they'll have to guess whether he uses a downwards angled ftilt, dtilt, utilt or just a frame 6 dash attack that no human can react to.

Literally the only thing you'll get for crouching versus Falcon, whether you do it as a quick evasive move or camping, is avoid his grab by making yourself vulnerable to 90% of Falcon's other approach and spacing options that you'll be less likely to come out on top of than by playing the match normally. It can have its uses, but it's certainly nothing game changing but I'll welcome time to prove me wrong on that.

Forgot Falcon Kick and Raptor Boost but who even uses them ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Falcon Dive would be great though, but unfortunately it doesn't have a low enough hitbox.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod

Snaring Aura Sphere is transcendent, Piercing Aura Sphere seems to have "continue on clank" properties (despite not being labeled as such in Master Core) likely due to the nature of its piercing mechanics.
*GASP* @Indigo Jeans! You liar! :p

Anyway, I thought fully-charged Aura Sphere, Charge Shot, Shadow Ball, Water Shuriken, and Sun Salutation were always transcendent. The fact they do a lot of damage and not a lot of moves can really challenge them doesn't help.

Doesn't sound that weird to me. From what I understand Falco's reflector doesn't have a hitbox when returning. The move itself is probably like reflecting Link's boomerang when it's coming back, it keeps going in it's normal trajectory, but since they have a hit/windbox when returning, they still affect the owner, while Falco's reflector just stops doing anything when coming back so it doesn't do a thing when it's reflected.
The difference is that Gale Boomerang just has a windbox when it comes back or reflected while regular Boomerang and Toon Link's Boomerangs have hitboxes when thrown and returned. Falco's Reflector is more like a yo-yo that hits when kicked out - I wished the kick actually did damage - and doesn't hit while returning, but still has a reflect window while returning.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Been away for a week, had a lot to say about Ness, so here's a spoiler tag outlining some of my responses.

Once I'm not showing a friend something else (ie probably tomorrow) I will shift my focus back to the topic at hand. Just wanted to catch up haha. :)

Side thought: Ness might actually drop in the customs on meta, as the windbox specials seem tailor made to gimp him. Dont even need to stop pk thunder, just move Ness 20 feet away from it.
You should visit the Ness boards sometime buddy, we've more or less come to this conclusion already. :grin: People missed it I guess, because up until this point we've been too excited(/depressed?) about customs to really care. :p

Ness gets destroyed by Kong Cyclone. I have no idea what Sakurai was thinking when he made that move to be quite honest. It's as brainless Brawl Mach Tornado and I actually feel bad when I net KOs with it. It's that stupid.
Oh I LOVE showing this off, I know it's old and I'm a nobody (especially now I'm not even in a scene atm lawlz) but on one especially awful match I was having, this happened - "WHERE'D I GO?"

To be honest I don't think it's that bad for us anymore, even though this happens occasionally. I think a well-timed Nair works against it, but if that fails, Ness actually doesn't suck when recovering against DK, so AD-ing the second hit if you can might not be a bad idea. I don't know, it's been too long since I've faced it.

Most of these characters (excluding Ness) that I mentioned are close quarters. They tend to be in-your-face to deal damage and kill. This is their general zone. Kirby is great at countering this because he has a lot of options to punish players for approaching (such as inhale, and more situationally, final cutter) which tend to stunt the efforts of players like sheik to approach and deal damage/start combos/strings. His options to both approach and stop approaches are what makes him so fair against sheik. He can stop an approach just as easily as he can approach, his moveset gives him the ability to turn a battle in the opposite momentum than the opponent is trying to use to their advantage. He also has the excellent opportunity to use sheik's needles against her.

Generally speaking, the more utility the opponent's neutral special provides, the more Kirby will be fairly matched against the opposing player.

He simply tends to fare well against Rushdown/aggressive or offensive characters like Sheik, Falcon, Diddy, etc due to his ability to punish approaches. The Ness argument is different, it's mostly his ability to avoid projectiles that gives him fair game against Ness. He can easily avoid all of Ness' projectiles due to his strong air mobility. PK Flash and Fire are easy to escape for obvious reasons, and when Ness tries to toss out a PK thunder, he can weave around it and go directly for Ness to punish. Ness' smashes also have only marginally longer range than Kirby's smashes, and tend to take longer to execute, giving Kirby more of an edge with his smash attacks.

Also from my own experience, Ness is a combo sponge when Kirby tosses out his up tilt.

The reason I say he suffers against disjoints is because most characters with disjointed moves tend to attack past his punish options. Thus you have his Marth matchup.
Hmm, I'd be surprised if Ness wasn't able to Nair and trade with Kirby after a few Utilts. He can do this to Mario, Fox and friends, so unless Kirby has something special I'm not sure I see it. It shouldn't be Ness' projectile game we're talking about here (it seems to be the only thing people ever talk about when it comes to this character besides Bthrow and occasionally Dthrow/Fair), I see no reason why Ness will be losing air to air battles with Kirby. Kirby's mobility is on the poorer side; I'm not sure what's to stop us from harassing you for free. Ness kills Kirby at 82% from FD ledge, 115% at centre stage and 138% at the far ledge, which puts Kirby in a jeopardising situation in regards to survivability. You don't really have that much against us offstage either. If anything, I think this is possibly one of our best MUs.

Feel free to dispute this, I have no problem with that; I was just surprised because this isn't a MU I would expect to be that close to even. :)

Oh, @ Trifroze Trifroze - to be fair, G&W goes under a lot more than Falcon's grab - set to start at 20s in. In this, he avoids the grab, the DA, the Bair and the Nair as well as jab and a few other more minor things that Falcon can either affect or will use more rarely. I'm prepared to accept that a timed DA might hit G&W but I'd like to see confirmation in some way. I actually think crouching might be a neat little way to help G&W in a few select MUs. :p

Last edited:

PUK

Smash Ace
NNID
Simlock92
3DS FC
4141-4118-5477
No one can duck under Falcon's dash attack. If they could it's because of using it too close to them or too far away, but the timing to hit them isn't strict at all. In my eyes the person crouching loses more than they gain for doing it; it's essentially a frame 1-2 spotdodge that only evades grabs, and when there's an essentially 50% chance that you'll be hit by a dash attack instead, it's a bad option.

If they're going to take the percentage lead and crouch all match instead, they'll have to figure out whether Falcon will throw out a bair, dair, nair or empty hop into grab from a shorthop, or react to when he'll release a downwards angled fsmash that'll potentially eat 80% of their shield, or when Falcon is just outside of their dtilt range they'll have to guess whether he uses a downwards angled ftilt, dtilt, utilt or just a frame 6 dash attack that no human can react to.

Literally the only thing you'll get for crouching versus Falcon, whether you do it as a quick evasive move or camping, is avoid his grab by making yourself vulnerable to 90% of Falcon's other approach and spacing options that you'll be less likely to come out on top of than by playing the match normally. It can have its uses, but it's certainly nothing game changing but I'll welcome time to prove me wrong on that.
Crouching serves to limit Falcon option, while it doesn't force you to commit.
Basically if you crouch against ZSS Falcon or Ganondorf foe exemple, you force them to use the few moves that can hit you or to go for a hard read.
Whereas you you just have to go from crouching to anything else, beating these option or punishing a wrong read. Also falcon dash grab is hard to punish on spot dodge, while it's really not on crouch.

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
From what I understand, the most important thing crouching avoids is dash grabs, since a lot of dash grabs whiff on low crouches. In terms of beating grabs, it's basically a superior spotdodge.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427

Forgot Falcon Kick and Raptor Boost but who even uses them ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Falcon Dive would be great though, but unfortunately it doesn't have a low enough hitbox.
Just checked. So you actually can whiff just for being too close. Hitbox/model collisions are strange at times. However I still believe from experience that crouching to mix up your approach (I wouldn't crouch to camp unless it was Kirby vs Sheik) is still really good against Falcon when it forces him to space aerials in specific ways which most importantly you can react to the commitment in midrange and punish via whiff punish or perfect shield. Getting hit by a DA from Falcon by itself isn't much to worry about especially for G&W who has a strong recovery for resetting situations and avoid landing in bad positions, slightly bigger deal for Kirby who is pretty bad at returning to neutral on and offstage.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
It looks like Sheik is landing too fast to do a Nair, if that vine is any indicator, as the landing effect plays and she enters the animation, as opposed to Mario/Fox Utilt where it keeps the opponent off the ground.

That might be interesting hahaha

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Does she get enough time to shield? Could she DI it so she could land a bit easier?

Not enough info quite yet, but it's pretty cool at face value, and I'll keep it in mind.

Imagine if this is legit and is enough to give Mewtwo a positive MU against Sheik. :laugh: I secretly want that because I like the idea of a few anti-meta chars in there every so often. :p

Spirst

I'd played around with this and from the times I'd done it in the past, the other player can just land and shield. I don't believe it's legit, no. It's more a scrub check than anything.

PUK

Smash Ace
NNID
Simlock92
3DS FC
4141-4118-5477
yeah and how it's different from eating 30% eraly game cause marion grab u?
Basically you need to perfect space a f8 jab i think. And then you can do what? Utiltxtime then Usmash, while fox can use a f2 jab to do the same thing. Can you even do this? Because if it's just a long combo without finish it's not game breaking.
plus
I'd played around with this and from the times I'd done it in the past, the other player can just land and shield. I don't believe it's legit, no. It's a more a scrub check than anything.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542

Interesting. That probably makes high aura PAS the best projectile in the game for winning projectile wars, matched only by PAC-MAN's key, and PAS has the advantage of not having to wait for full charge to work. What are the min/max damages for the three types of Aura Sphere, BTW?

Firefoxx

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefoxx200
3DS FC
1821-9385-9105
I believe close hit up-tilt legit combos into up smash at kill percents so this might not be an infinite but it could be a KO confirm off jab 1 (though it doesn't look like jab one lifts people up high enough for up-tilt to be guaranteed)

Last edited:

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
yeah and how it's different from eating 30% eraly game cause marion grab u?
Basically you need to perfect space a f8 jab i think. And then you can do what? Utiltxtime then Usmash, while fox can use a f2 jab to do the same thing. Can you even do this? Because if it's just a long combo without finish it's not game breaking.
plus
The jab is frame 6 for what it's worth. I never said it's game breaking just wanted to hear some opinions. Why I think it's interesting so I posted it. I said look at the percentages because of this is working. Utilt lock at mid percentages? That's different than Mario and fox.

Though this isn't something new apparently just the first time I've seen it. According to @ Chiroz Chiroz they can DI into the strong hit of utilt. So it's not a true lock and it's been known since day 1.

Cassio

Smash Master
How good your crouch is depends on how low you go to the ground, but also depends on your other options when crouching. Crawl, Dtilt (as a move and the punish you gain from it), etc.

Anyways, even though pika doesnt have the lowest crouch, he has a top level crouching position for a lot of reasons, which may affect the falcon MU.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Before sure.

Not now.
Frame data is still in tact, banana ruins everyone on the ground, awesome OoS options, F Smash still kills and is easy to land after a banana if your name isn't Luigi, and even though F Air and U Air are nerfed they are still amazing moves in their own right. ZeRo will most likely continue to dominate with him. Besides, Sheik's kill power got further nerfed. And Mii Brawler is basically only good because nobody really knows the character.

That, and am an obvious Diddy loyalist with an enourmous bias for my character.

NachoOfCheese

Smash Ace
NNID
NachoOfCheese

To be honest I don't think it's that bad for us anymore, even though this happens occasionally. I think a well-timed Nair works against it, but if that fails, Ness actually doesn't suck when recovering against DK, so AD-ing the second hit if you can might not be a bad idea. I don't know, it's been too long since I've faced it.

Hmm, I'd be surprised if Ness wasn't able to Nair and trade with Kirby after a few Utilts. He can do this to Mario, Fox and friends, so unless Kirby has something special I'm not sure I see it. It shouldn't be Ness' projectile game we're talking about here (it seems to be the only thing people ever talk about when it comes to this character besides Bthrow and occasionally Dthrow/Fair), I see no reason why Ness will be losing air to air battles with Kirby. Kirby's mobility is on the poorer side; I'm not sure what's to stop us from harassing you for free. Ness kills Kirby at 82% from FD ledge, 115% at centre stage and 138% at the far ledge, which puts Kirby in a jeopardising situation in regards to survivability. You don't really have that much against us offstage either. If anything, I think this is possibly one of our best MUs.

Feel free to dispute this, I have no problem with that; I was just surprised because this isn't a MU I would expect to be that close to even. :) [/collapse]

Oh, @ Trifroze Trifroze - to be fair, G&W goes under a lot more than Falcon's grab - set to start at 20s in. In this, he avoids the grab, the DA, the Bair and the Nair as well as jab and a few other more minor things that Falcon can either affect or will use more rarely. I'm prepared to accept that a timed DA might hit G&W but I'd like to see confirmation in some way. I actually think crouching might be a neat little way to help G&W in a few select MUs. :p
Bruuuuuuuuh that's what I mean. Kong Cyclone is the kinda move you can throw out whenever you want. Use it, grab some popcorn, and enjoy the show XD

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
The jab is frame 6 for what it's worth. I never said it's game breaking just wanted to hear some opinions. Why I think it's interesting so I posted it. I said look at the percentages because of this is working. Utilt lock at mid percentages? That's different than Mario and fox.

Though this isn't something new apparently just the first time I've seen it. According to @ Chiroz Chiroz they can DI into the strong hit of utilt. So it's not a true lock and it's been known since day 1.

You do not need to jab in order to start it, just to hit with the correct U-Tilt hitbox (U-Tilt has 4 different hitboxes).

Also it's easier on smaller characters and it's easier on fast fallers but it can be done on almost anyone. It works at all %s but depending on your fall speed and your % there are different ways to DI out of it. DIng to the back is one way but if the Mewtwo has perfect reactions he can turn around (like the video). DIng to the floor and shielding is another way that works for Fox (and probably some other fast fallers). Most floaty characters can just DI upwards which will make the next U-Tilt hit with one of the tip hitboxes and end the combo.

For all other chars just try to DI a little above Mewtwo's trunk (of his tail) that will cause Mewtwo to hit you with the strongest of the hitboxes ending the combo. I found this out day 1 with the Mewtwo Skype Group and we tested on various chars, we didn't find any char where this was a true infinite, everyone had some way to DI out of it.

I think that against someone who doesn't learn or adapt and has never seen it it give you a free game.

The first time I did it was against a level 9 Fox CPU when I had less than an hour playing Mewtwo and I was able to lock the CPU until 130% (from like 40%) and then finish with an U-Smash. I was pretty hype so I got someone to play me online instantly only to find out the CPU could have DIed to my back. Then I practiced turning around so I could do an "infinite" only to have the very first Fox I played in For Glory DI to the ground and shield it. It was pretty funny. We then tested on many characters to see what could be done, but all chars we tested seemed to have some DI to escape it.

Last edited:

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti

Actually, if you duck right before impact, it dodges it. Test it if you want but it's true, and you can also duck under all short hopped aerials, all smashes (except for down angled f-smash), Falcon Punch, and more. Trust me, if the opponent is good at timing his ducks, the MU is instantly in the ducker's favour.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Frame data is still in tact, banana ruins everyone on the ground, awesome OoS options, F Smash still kills and is easy to land after a banana if your name isn't Luigi, and even though F Air and U Air are nerfed they are still amazing moves in their own right. ZeRo will most likely continue to dominate with him. Besides, Sheik's kill power got further nerfed. And Mii Brawler is basically only good because nobody really knows the character.

That, and am an obvious Diddy loyalist with an enourmous bias for my character.
Don't worry guy, I believe you. I called Diddy still being the best character after the patch, the only problem is that it's now a debatable spot, with multiple characters potentially being in the #1 position. It might end up coming down to results, which will basically be up to which top players pick which characters. If the majority of top players picked Pikachu instead of Diddy, I could easily see him being #1. If the majority picked ZSS instead, that could also happen. If the majority picked Diddy or Sheik, that could happen. etc.!

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I believe close hit up-tilt legit combos into up smash at kill percents so this might not be an infinite but it could be a KO confirm off jab 1 (though it doesn't look like jab one lifts people up high enough for up-tilt to be guaranteed)
While this is true, Jab 1 does not true combo into U-Tilt. Jab 1 does not true combo into anything but it only leaves like 2 or 3 frames for the opponent to react, so this can be a good mix-up kill combo.

19_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
19sean
3DS FC
3239-4949-6616
Apparently a big off stream upset happened at shockwave. A link player by the name of hyrule hero beat denti.
I don't even

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Sheik vs Link is pretty darn close. Even imo. Link actually wins neutral imo.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
What are the min/max damages for the three types of Aura Sphere, BTW?
Base damage (70% aura; didn't put much effort into measuring decimals)

Aura Sphere
Min: 6.xx%
Max: 17.xx%

Snaring Aura Sphere
Min: ~2.5%
Max: ~14.5%

Piercing Aura Sphere
Min: 3%
Max: ~6.5%

Multiply by x0.66 for min aura, x1.7 for max aura.

Djent

Smash Champion
Jump Glide is a bad move.
Seriously, AeroLink dies once per set because of :4palutena:'s fall speed. OTOH, Warp would let him recover in most of the scenarios where Jump Glide is successful. Its approach/cross-up gimmicks also don't work against competent mid-range spacing (as Bwett was saying earlier on commentary).

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Sheik vs Link is pretty darn close. Even imo. Link actually wins neutral imo.
Let me say straight up, don't run into Needles. Walk into them, all I'm saying. Walk into Sheik's Needles to do an impromptu counterattack to punish; really effective to use and a neat little gimmick.

But explain more about the MU about Sheik and Link.

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
Then gets his soul snatched by Bwett lol
Just out of curiosity, did he die in some sort of ridiculous fashion or did he just lose badly?

Don't worry guy, I believe you. I called Diddy still being the best character after the patch, the only problem is that it's now a debatable spot, with multiple characters potentially being in the #1 position. It might end up coming down to results, which will basically be up to which top players pick which characters. If the majority of top players picked Pikachu instead of Diddy, I could easily see him being #1. If the majority picked ZSS instead, that could also happen. If the majority picked Diddy or Sheik, that could happen. etc.!
I honestly don't think there's any character at this point that's blatantly #1. Every single top tier has some sort of weakness or bad matchup.

Quickhero

Smash Ace
NNID
Quickbobhero
3DS FC
4441-9316-1706
Crushing Bomb has a niche?????

I know it's a bit on the more gimmicky side, but if you can get a read that's a shield break. Yoshi generally doesn't use his down-b much anyways, so if you get that free stock from a shield read then it's great! :D

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Base damage (70% aura; didn't put much effort into measuring decimals)

Aura Sphere
Min: 6.xx%
Max: 17.xx%

Snaring Aura Sphere
Min: ~2.5%
Max: ~14.5%

Piercing Aura Sphere
Min: 3%
Max: ~6.5%

Multiply by x0.66 for min aura, x1.7 for max aura.
Snaring Aura Sphere obviously can hit multiple times.

Didn't realize the damage output for Piercing Aura Sphere was so low, that's less than half the default.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom