• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
Mewtwo's U-throw kills at like 100% or less with full rage, Though that's an exaggeration with some light like Mewtwo; he won't survive that long.

I can't describe enough how much Ganon would like Mewtwo's U-throw.

ZarroTsu

Smash Journeyman
5) Up throw is highly disappointing. It's stronger than most up throws, yes, but why would you ever use it when you can just back throw near a blast zone? I mean, the throw kills at what, 130-140% on most characters? Okay. I can kill people off the top at 80% with Meta Knight. If up throw was to be his defining kill move, it should have been stronger.
I'm highly impressed by your ability to kill off the top with MetaKnight from ground level with no follow-ups. Elaborate?

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
He's a really cool character, and he has a lot of really great things. Unfortunately, these cool things only seduce you in to using a character with some very real, highly unnecessary flaws. I feel he's solidly low mid tier, maybe high mid tier if someone really good exposed potential with him. Hope this gets patched later when Nintendo realizes no one is using him in like a month.
The difference between say, Ike and Mewtwo is that Ike's not from a fairly famous game while Mewtwo's from a famous franchise. Ike has his fans, but Mewtwo? Holy hell, man. Mewtwo is beloved by tons of people like Charizard. Why? Nostalgia from Pokémon Red and Blue. Mewtwo might end up not as great, but people will use Mewtwo a lot solely because of the history, popularity, and Mewtwo just seems cool and badass because of the stoic, darkness of things that seems to attract so many people and creates tons of gritty, edgy, and dark media.

Also, Nintendo's track record already suggest they don't give a damn about who's being used and who's not. Look at Little Mac vs. Falco. Little Mac is everywhere even after people figured out how to deal with spammy Little Macs and people figured he's a polarized character. Falco? Falco's practically dead and they don't care. He could place in tournaments or there could be some miracle where absolutely nobody plays Falco anymore including for 100%'ing SSB4. Whatever then, he'll just get cut from SSB5 since he has no fanbase.

The point is that you can't base patches - speculate - on character popularity. There has to be something broken, very major, or glitch-y for the developers to do anything. Examples being Diddy's Uair, Fair spiking with Falco, and the giant Yoshi glitches. Even then, they might not patch it well like Link's Jab 1 or Sheik's Bair.

Oh, and one more thing: first impressions. Mewtwo's on the hype train which is why people will feel like Mewtwo's a good character. Some will argue differently if they don't care about Mewtwo and only look at Mewtwo from a moveset and matchup perspective. First impressions can keep a character alive or kill them. Case in point: Falco, Marth, and Meta Knight. Of those three, Meta Knight has risen, Marth's recognized for what he is, and Falco's just there and at worse, plummeting. History will also hurt characters like Ike, Zelda, and Ganondorf. They're all based on their previous game(s) and considered bad because of their positions in previous game(s) despite facts, results, proving they're not that bad. Mewtwo skipping a game and feeling "new" already adds to the, "Man! Mewtwo's freaking good!"

Last edited:

Ulevo

Smash Master
No, I can see why he's so light. He's basically a Ganon in terms of power, but without Ganon's biggest weakness (which is his poor approach). The projectile shores up most of Ganon's weaknesses, and the reflector most of the others, if he didn't have some big drawback he'd just be way too good. Despite his low weight, his survivability is actually okay thanks to his great recovery. I find he tends to live about the same amount of time as Ganon, for what it's worth.
No, his survivability is not okay because he's combo food and dies at like 80% to bread and butter set ups on most characters. You're honestly insane if you believe he'd be too good just by being given a weight increase.

I find it's pretty decent when the opponent has around 70%, they bounce high enough for Mewtwo to run up and be threatening. Sure, they have various options, but nothing that completely gets them out of danger, and if Mewtwo gets the right read he can hit really hard, in particular if they guess badly and you get an UpSmash they're probably dead. If you are unable to get anything big at this percent, it's only a little bit more before you can just use a kill throw instead.
In high level play, guarantees > risky set ups. He has plenty of decent mix ups already, down throw should not have been one of them. He basically can only reliably combo off of down tilt with the way his down throw is.

I don't have the framedata but his rolls actually seem pretty good to me, they go pretty far and seem fast. But yeah, his techs are terrible. It's probably worth using Teleport to try to escape tech chases.
It doesn't matter how long the rolls are if the invincibility associated with those rolls is lacking or poorly distributed. In my experience I've been hit out of rolls, spot dodges and techs super frequently. Teleport is honestly **** in this game.

I'm highly impressed by your ability to kill off the top with MetaKnight from ground level with no follow-ups. Elaborate?
Uh. No follow ups? What.

Last edited:

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
No, his survivability is not okay because he's combo food and dies at like 80% to bread and butter set ups on most characters. You're honestly insane if you believe he'd be too good just by being given a weight increase.
I'm hard pressed to think of any bnb setups that are going to kill him at 80% outside of maybe some jab locks, because most bnbs don't lead to super powerful kill moves. In general I find I can live to like 100-110% most of the time, which isn't fantastic by itself, but I find that that 110% actually tends to last fairly long. Unlike Ganon, he doesn't just have to brute force his way in there, he can hang back with Shadow Ball and Confusion and pick his spots to attack a lot better.

In high level play, guarantees > risky set ups. He has plenty of decent mix ups already, down throw should not have been one of them. He basically can only reliably combo off of down tilt with the way his down throw is.
Did you miss the last few pages of how much guaranteed stuff M2 gets after his Jab1? Considering he can jab into grab, if he could true combo that into much else it'd probably be kinda busted.

Also, chasing after Dthrow isn't really that risky. Worst case they hit you with an aerial, but unless your back is to the ledge you're probably not at risk of dying unless you're at a really high percent. (If your back IS to the ledge, do BThrow instead).

It doesn't matter how long the rolls are if the invincibility associated with those rolls is lacking or poorly distributed.
True, though I haven't personally seen anything that really stands out to me to suggest his invincibility is inordinately bad. Aren't all rolls and spot dodges almost the same in this game in terms of invincibility frames? Shaya posted something about that a long time ago.

Teleport is honestly **** in this game.
It's good but it's not a roll and shouldn't be used like one. It can still get you out of a lot of juggle situations and it's a very safe way to get back to the ledge.

Last edited:

Ulevo

Smash Master
Did you miss the last few pages of how much guaranteed stuff M2 gets after his Jab1? Considering he can jab into grab, if he could true combo that into much else it'd probably be kinda busted.
You're kidding right? Look at Luigi. Or Mario. The stuff they get off of a throw is far greater than anything Mewtwo has, and they have a lot of options to nail those grabs without all the problems Mewtwo has.

Also, chasing after Dthrow isn't really that risky. Worst case they hit you with an aerial, but unless your back is to the ledge you're probably not at risk of dying unless you're at a really high percent. (If your back IS to the ledge, do BThrow instead).
It's risky enough considering you have no guaranteed reward from it. Why would you go for a read out of a 9% down throw that will likely result in an aerial trade when you can go for a throw at 10% that leads in to an edge guard or a juggle? You won't.

Last edited:

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Once your opponent has commited to chasing you into the air, thats when you teleport across the stage to a platform. Good mixup vs most characters I'd say. Especially on TnC and Battlefield.

I don't like his throws too much. Fthrow is fun to use in doubles (thats what i loved about it in Melee too), but Dthrow does feel a little lacking as a combo throw. Fthrow having no kill potential and no follow ups is a shame though. SH confusion OoS can scoop characters off of the ground for better follow ups than dthrow and unless my throw is going to kill outright, I'd much rather get a confusion setup.

Upthrow's power is pretty decent considering upthrows don't rely so much on positioning. Normally I'd point out how this thing kills under 100 with rage, but Mewtwo shouldn't be alive past 120 against a decent character. He is too big and too light.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
You're kidding right? Look at Luigi. Or Mario. The stuff they get off of a throw is far greater than anything Mewtwo has, and they have a lot of options to nail those grabs without all the problems Mewtwo has.
Yeah but they don't have projectiles that kill, kill throws, great pokes, or as safe of a recovery. No one is claiming Mewtwo has the best combo throw in the game, but he's got some solid tools.

It's risky enough considering you have no guaranteed reward from it. Why would you go for a read out of a 9% down throw that will likely result in an aerial trade when you can go for a throw at 10% that leads in to an edge guard or a juggle? You won't.
Mewtwo's most likely follow-ups after a Dthrow (Fair, Uair, FSmash, USmash) rarely trade. Also, yes, I'm usually willing to take that risk, because after Dthrow Mewtwo is in advantageous position. Statistically speaking that interaction is more likely to work out in my favour. Usually the "worst" result is that the opponent simply gets away.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Mewtwo's U-throw might end up like Falco, Greninja, Sheik, and I believe Marth and Lucina's as a setup throw since while Mewtwo might not be able to true combo into it, being way up in the air like that for some characters is a bad situation, especially if they don't have fast aerials or aerials that can cover them well. Being up in the air like that leaves people to Mewtwo's mercy.

Edit: Isn't Mewtwo's jump fairly high? If so, it'd be like Falco's U-throw where he'll either right next to you with an Uair, Bair, or Reflector Void or fake you out for something else. The only thing I don't know is if Mewtwo's jump is fast enough since Mewtwo's second jump is a bit like Ness and Lucas's where they do that loop thing, right?

Last edited:

Ulevo

Smash Master
Yeah but they don't have projectiles that kill, kill throws, great pokes, or as safe of a recovery. No one is claiming Mewtwo has the best combo throw in the game, but he's got some solid tools.
They have kill throws, and there recovery is reasonably the same. Mewtwo can get the ledge easier, but he has a harder time getting on the stage once he's at the ledge than either of them.

Mewtwo's most likely follow-ups after a Dthrow (Fair, Uair, FSmash, USmash) rarely trade. Also, yes, I'm usually willing to take that risk, because after Dthrow Mewtwo is in advantageous position. Statistically speaking that interaction is more likely to work out in my favour. Usually the "worst" result is that the opponent simply gets away.
What I meant by trading is that you're trading the damage you gained (9% from down throw) for the retaliation you'll receive from the incoming aerial that stuffs any follow up you attempt. And no, the worst case scenario (and common one) is that you down throw, go for a follow up, and get hit. You're not at a frame advantage. Considering Mewtwo's up air and up smash, up throw is a better option since it allows you to juggle.

Last edited:

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
They have kill throws, and there recovery is reasonably the same. Mewtwo can get the ledge easier, but he has a harder time getting on the stage once he's at the ledge than either of them.
I guess their Bthrows can kill, but not nearly as well as Mewtwo's Uthrow. He obviously has a number of other advantages that they don't. The comparable example is really Ganon, who does have better throw combos, but he has to work a LOT harder for those grabs.

What I meant by trading is that you're trading the damage you gained (9% from down throw) for the retaliation you'll receive from the incoming aerial that stuffs any follow up you attempt. And no, the worst case scenario (and common one) is that you down throw, go for a follow up, and get hit. You're not at a frame advantage
You're ARE at frame advantage (you can act long before they get out of hitstun, just not quite enough to land a guaranteed hit) but the important thing is that you have more options available to you. You can shield, and you have all of your normals available to you. Your opponent can only airdodge, double jump, or do an aerial. You can also dash, giving you more control over your spacing than your opponent has.

Last edited:

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
I don't like his throws too much. Fthrow is fun to use in doubles (thats what i loved about it in Melee too), but Dthrow does feel a little lacking as a combo throw. Fthrow having no kill potential and no follow ups is a shame though. SH confusion OoS can scoop characters off of the ground for better follow ups than dthrow and unless my throw is going to kill outright, I'd much rather get a confusion setup.
I find SH confusion to be useless if the opponent is grounded because Mewtwo just ends up missing the move due to confusion's rising Mewtwo up a bit before hitting.

Ulevo

Smash Master
I guess their Bthrows can kill, but not nearly as well as Mewtwo's Uthrow. He obviously has a number of other advantages that they don't. The comparable example is really Ganon, who does have better throw combos, but he has to work a LOT harder for those grabs.

You're ARE at frame advantage (you can act long before they get out of hitstun, just not quite enough to land a guaranteed hit) but the important thing is that you have more options available to you. You can shield, and you have all of your normals available to you. Your opponent can only airdodge, double jump, or do an aerial. You can also dash, giving you more control over your spacing than your opponent has.
Regarding Luigi, he has guaranteed kills out of his down throw. Like a lot of them.

As for the down throw, it doesn't matter. It's at best a mix up, and the cost of you guessing wrong is not worth it, especially against certain characters. Again, there's no point in going for the mix up when you can up throw and shark with up air juggles safely versus trying to go in for an unguaranteed follow up and hope you don't guess wrong.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Practically nonexistent neutral game

Unreliable projectiles

Lousy aerial mobility

Large hurtbox

Surprisingly ineffective at killing ofttimes (some of the other heavies have better utility in this department)

anything else you need, Blobbie-boy?

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Ulevo

Smash Master
Practically nonexistent neutral game

Unreliable projectiles

Lousy aerial mobility

Large hurtbox

Surprisingly ineffective at killing ofttimes (some of the other heavies have better utility in this department)

anything else you need, Blobbie-boy?

Smooth Criminal
Coming from someone who doesn't main Dedede, I would think his problem is similar to Ike in that he has a 'decent' kit with a lot of bad match ups. I can't imagine his neutral being that bad. His forward tilt is incredibly big and his jab seems decent, and jab 2 leads to a grab combo. Multiple jumps should help the neutral game also.

What do you have to say about this.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Think you're gonna win an exchange in neutral with that 10 frame jab of his? Okay. Here's the thing: You don't. You're either whiff-punishing, or catching them in some other kind of mistake (missed tech, poor spacing, etc). It's mainly good because it's disjointed and meaty and stays out for a while---which is, of course, better suited for retaliatory defense/turtling. You're right about jab 2 leading into a grab combo---assuming they're not floaty and/or at a high percent where they can just jump out and away. D3's rage also factors into this as well. You gotta assume that anything out of jab 2 is a mixup, not necessarily guaranteed.

Ftilt, while a great poke, is just that---a poke. It stuffs ground approaches, bad rolls, and careless ledge get-ups. It doesn't really do anything to stop people coming from the air unless they're around the average SH height. It's a wall o' attack that pretty much covers, well, the length and width of the hammer, nothing more. Great move, but kinda narrow in scope.

Multiple jumps are cool and all, but again, you don't win neutral floating around with the celerity of a blowfish. If anything, D3's multiple jumps and fastfall speed help him get out of situations and reset to neutral, not actually win neutral itself.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
meanwhile in dino land

E: With seemingly any character, you can also avoid some of the shadow balls with SDI.

Last edited:

RedBeefBaron

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Redbeefbaron
How is Mewtwo at disadvantage? I know teleport has pretty serious startup but is nair so slow that you can't use it to break some close range combos and live a little longer?

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
How is Mewtwo at disadvantage? I know teleport has pretty serious startup but is nair so slow that you can't use it to break some close range combos and live a little longer?
At close range he can't do much, nair has 7 frames of startup and tiny hitboxes so it usually won't break combos. Fair has the same startup with a better hitbox and can sometimes be used to break horizontal combos. What comes to recovering and landing, he's probably one of the best at. His fastfall speed is decent (same as Marth, better than Pikachu, Mario and Sonic for instance) and teleport is good for both purposes as long as you hit the ground / snap to the ledge with it. Getting off the ledge isn't too hard either, as ledgejump + teleport either diagonally or directly down to the stage is an alternative option.

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Today's arbitrary list of 4 attacks:

Paralyzer -> Confusion -> Disable -> F-smash

FimPhym

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0920-2129-8093
So out of curiosity, what in particular hurts Dedede overall as a character? I don't doubt these claims, but I haven't ever really heard what's really wrong with him besides "Megaman".
I think the only real problem is that several characters that could do fine approaching him (yoshi, zss, fox, sheik, diddy, blah blah) have just enough projectile threat to force him to approach. The projectiles are quite low commitment and force dedede into positions where they can suddenly switch gears to offense. If they didn't open you up they scurry off and put the process back in place.

Contrast this with characters with a much better set of projectiles but worse buttons and rush down - villager, DHD, Robin, links etc - who also force an approach but don't pounce like a hyena at a single sign of weakness. It feels fine to approach them. It just looks horrible in some cases since 80% of the time you are losing neutral, but 20% of the time you have to get 80% of your damage. Imagine it like top trumps, you only need a 1/10 projectile to force dedede's somewhat clumsy approach, if you have 10/10 projectile game that's fine but you probably gave up a bunch of power elsewhere you could exploit dedede with.

Likewise the match up with fellow non projectile characters are great, you can play around with spacing and there's no rush to get in. You don't have to sit still but you don't get forced to jump or shield stuff either. (Gordo is not a projectile, except during advantage time.)

Coming from someone who doesn't main Dedede, I would think his problem is similar to Ike in that he has a 'decent' kit with a lot of bad match ups. I can't imagine his neutral being that bad. His forward tilt is incredibly big and his jab seems decent, and jab 2 leads to a grab combo. Multiple jumps should help the neutral game also.

What do you have to say about this.
His neutral is pretty bad. Ftilt looks a lot scarier than it is, it has surprisingly far out hurt boxes and unless spaced perfectly often ends up missing hits and doing 2-7% damageish. That might fly for a hit from sheik but dedede needs more. It also is unsafe on shield and in some cases on whiff (hi sonic!).

Multiple jumps are good for getting out of juggle situations. And you do need to jump around a bit in neutral to threaten coming down with a meaty bair or punishing any blind offense with a nair. Not exactly risk free options though, you are just trying to get enough respect to push the opponent back. Once you get someone at the edge of the stage they are forced to move past you, and that's where being slow and fat doesn't matter - you catch their escape and get an opening finally yay.

That's just dedede's entire game plan. Put people in a situation where immobility is irrelevant and fat hitboxes are king. Juggles, edge guarding, gordo ledge traps, post-down throw mix ups or flat out stage control. In each case they are being forced towards you and your big hitboxes and need to do something punishable to get out. If they mess up they go right back to disadvantage.

Words words words this is like and amazing ampharos post, sorry. Not talked about dedede in a while and wanted to frame his strengths/weaknesses again for those not in the know. I'd say the way to see all this in action rather than just forum post theory is go watch videos of j dawg. His dedede is great and we independently discovered a lot of the same strategy, except he is actually good at the game and has way smoother movement.

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Because mewtwo has no frame 3 aerial and his 2nd jump takes years to come out, he's one of the few characters that cant escape dash attack into tornado before 40% a 28-30% braindead combo on a character that dies at 80% at worse 110%. Only falcon suffers this against MK but the man can take the hits, Mewtwo can't. I see people talk about rage up throws but mewtwo won't even live above 120% most of the time.

MKs not the only character that tears mewtwo apart, alot of high tiers have silly advantages against mew: 1 pikman can tank a shadow ball fully charged, fox with his jabs, yoshi can jump out of forward throw and beats him up close all the time, MK with his vertical kills and braindeadcombo, Rosalina walls him out. I don't think mewtwo is B tier based on his poor design that's holding him back and its a fact that these weaknesses can't be patched up(light and same height as marth, combo food, meh frame data).

With the amount of fox and falcon players everywhere I don't see mewtwo as a viable competitor, he'll need a secondary to cover alot of his bad MUs.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Mewtwo's U-throw might end up like Falco, Greninja, Sheik, and I believe Marth and Lucina's as a setup throw since while Mewtwo might not be able to true combo into it, being way up in the air like that for some characters is a bad situation, especially if they don't have fast aerials or aerials that can cover them well. Being up in the air like that leaves people to Mewtwo's mercy.

Edit: Isn't Mewtwo's jump fairly high? If so, it'd be like Falco's U-throw where he'll either right next to you with an Uair, Bair, or Reflector Void or fake you out for something else. The only thing I don't know is if Mewtwo's jump is fast enough since Mewtwo's second jump is a bit like Ness and Lucas's where they do that loop thing, right?
Unfortunately for mewtwo there's too much rnd lag agter uthrow for any follow ups. His jump is high but it's rather slow. So no uthrow shenanigans. Percents don't matter.

Last edited:

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
I don't know if it's just me but I feel constantly as if Mewtwo is missing invincibility frames. I've never gotten hit so many times during rolls, techs, or ledge get ups, that I feel like there's something that might actually be wrong with how his rolls and such are working.

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
All of Mewtwo's problems for me tie back to his weight. I really think if he weighed like 85-98 or somewhere within this range he'd be a lot scarier and more potent (the ability to build rage with how his moveset is would be a REAL threat). Like it's okay to have **** disadvantage if you can back it up.

I do think he's better than most if not all low tiers, however. This is strictly opinion but I think he handles most of them fairly well (the established bunch) including the character I main. I can't comfortably put him that low either, nor can I put him that high bcuz reasons stated above. He's...stuck somewhere in the middling lower regions, but a weight buff would fix that, astronomically.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Why roll when you can throw out a shadowball, or jump side-b or take the hit and die?

Finally got to play mewtwo a bit. Side-b is really quite good. In the "you can't trap me, ever" type of way. I personally love his back air although I wouldn't say it's a particularly good move, just something about a high damage move come weird poke and it's slow speed for the second part of the attack. Down Smash seems to be really weird move in his kit, coming from ZSS experience I like the safety/cooldown but I'm really expecting this thing to kill when it hits, but it just... doesn't, not sure what it's really meant to do or how it helps his kit in any meaningful way.

Feel like he's a really strong reset type character. Jab, side-b, nair in rising or landing situations, none of the throws seem follow up prone but keep enemies close. In terms of match ups or position... it seems he goes roughly even with most of the cast, not really exploiting anything nor being too heavily exploited; but top tiers do maul him though. He's missing that edge to compete I believe. Has a lot if issues dealing with rolls and dodges and once forced into playing defensively doesn't seem to have much going for him at all.

Anyway, something I wasn't really considering with the Sheik nerf to bair is the ledge trump scenario. I guess she probably deserved it, her ledge trump bair was the easiest in the game to get and she was also the best off-stage trapper and had mobility and tricks to get the trump too. My immediate reaction to ledge trumping someone into bair at 120% and them not dying was a really big "oh... wow... uhh... great!" It's honestly IMO a big hit to her more so than the implication of just "losing a kill move" meant, she's now lost a really strong kill set up she was the best in the game at getting.

Diddy now just seems "fair", although the bull **** that exists due to the hitboxes/frame data on down tilt, forward air, up air and dash grab haven't changed. Diddy still seems like he's going to be shutting down most of the cast with forward air alone. It's noticeably less potent in killing but it's now keeping people closer to him all the time with what's the single best horizontal air poke in the game. Up Throw and Down Throw, as expected, are keeping follow ups real for even longer (up throw in particular, youch).
With his ability to slow the pace of the game down with fair, bananas and peanuts, all I'm seeing in the near future is smarter use of Diddy getting similar bottom line results (WINNING). Suddenly I feel like diddy is incentivized to use nair and bair too, both great moves and trying to play a footsie/mid-range game with all of his kit (why do I feel like ftilt is suddenly worthwhile?). Up air as unfortunately expected is still the neutral air + forward air + back air + up air that hits below you and now just reminds me of super zero suit samus up air that still maintains itself as a combo breaker and godlike juggle / trapping tool that just combos into itself FOREVER.

Although I feel like my Sheik is/was better than my Diddy, Sheik just doesn't seem as potent as Diddy still does... Back air nerfs seem to hit her harder than "less damage per hit but now combos from everything forever" alterations Diddy received.

Last edited:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182

Well, some of those characters have useful guaranteed followups. Greninja actually gets Uthrow -> Uair as a true combo from about 25% to 75-95% (character dependent) on most of the cast. You can chase their DI and true combo it every time as well. It doesn't work very well online but it's a fantastic asset otherwise. I don't know how DI affects Marcina, but they can true combo Uthrow -> Uair for quite a long time, and of course we all know about Uthrow -> Up B which starts being safe on hit around the time Uthrow -> Uair stops working.

Falco's Uthrow really loses utility against people who DI well, sadly. Mewtwo seems to be in the same boat as Sheik where his Uthrow has too much ending lag to have much utility for follow-ups. Unfortunately, unlike Sheik he doesn't have two amazing combo throws to fall back on.

RedBeefBaron

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Redbeefbaron
At close range he can't do much, nair has 7 frames of startup and tiny hitboxes so it usually won't break combos. Fair has the same startup with a better hitbox and can sometimes be used to break horizontal combos. What comes to recovering and landing, he's probably one of the best at. His fastfall speed is decent (same as Marth, better than Pikachu, Mario and Sonic for instance) and teleport is good for both purposes as long as you hit the ground / snap to the ledge with it. Getting off the ledge isn't too hard either, as ledgejump + teleport either diagonally or directly down to the stage is an alternative option.
Kind of disappointing that Mewtwo's teleport is so slow in this game. When i learned we were actually gonna get the character fast and confusing teleport shenanigans was the first thing i thought of. I'm hoping that once his meta develops people will learn ways to implement teleport for things other than landing and recovery but from what I'm hearing that may not be too likely. At least the jab 1 setups are legit, though.

I'm guessing this is no longer a thing but just out of curiosity does Mewtwo still get godlike double jump distance if he uses an aerial at the end of the animation like in melee?

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Falco's Uthrow really loses utility against people who DI well, sadly.
Wasn't it mentioned that U-throws are more difficult to DI because they're mostly 90 degree "moves"? Even if they're easy to DI, it's the situation of dealing with a character who can jump right next to you. Falco shouldn't even jump immediately after the throw because of his air speed against certain characters such as floaties or at higher percents, instead he should rely on his faster - in comparison to his air speed - ground mobility to position himself. The laser is just extra credit and a punish at later percents.

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Wasn't it mentioned that U-throws are more difficult to DI because they're mostly 90 degree "moves"? Even if they're easy to DI, it's the situation of dealing with a character who can jump right next to you. Falco shouldn't even jump immediately after the throw because of his air speed against certain characters such as floaties or at higher percents, instead he should rely on his faster - in comparison to his air speed - ground mobility to position himself. The laser is just extra credit and a punish at later percents.
Thats how you're really supposed to handle the 90 degree U-throws.
They go up in the air, your move parallel to them so you can aim for a juggle, defensive options are weaker in the air then the ground typically if not universally. You can't Shield or roll in the air and you have less counter attack options (grabs) so anyone DI'ing Falco's U-throw isn't doing anything Falco needs to concern himself for anyways when he is looking to get a follow-up.

Same deal with Shulk and Marth, getting to be much more confident off a u-throw.

Last edited:

Balgorxz

Smash Journeyman
I am the only one who thinks easy PP is the best things they have found in smash 4, there is so many things you can do with it.
you can do a perfect ledge snap with it and smashes gain a LOT of range, as long as you understand how the mechanic of the inputs works you can really mix up the things you can do with it.
also the guy who found it seems he doesn't know you just need to override the input to start doign it and attacking is not necesssary to start easy PP.

Last edited:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
What I meant was, DI comparatively limits Falco's Uthrow because you can just DI to prevent the laser from hitting you at all, which makes Falco's frame advantage significantly lower than Greninja's or Marcina's (because he spends time firing the blaster at nothing). So they're still in a bad position, it's just easier for them to escape potential followups purely from a frame data point of view. Falco's Up Throw is "laggier". And this is the issue with Mewtwo's Up Throw, too much endlag to really be threatening.

I'm not saying Falco's Up Throw isn't good, I think it's a great throw. I mean, you don't have THAT much ending lag from firing the blaster. It's just slightly laggier than other comparable throws.

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Can we please sort out what the deal with Diddy's Fair is? I've been told it has a hurtbox on it now by so many people, which gave me the impression it has made a really big difference to Diddy's viability. Can't definitively test it out but I'll go check the diddy boards and also do my best to see it for myself. =P

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Can we please sort out what the deal with Diddy's Fair is? I've been told it has a hurtbox on it now by so many people, which gave me the impression it has made a really big difference to Diddy's viability. Can't definitively test it out but I'll go check the diddy boards and also do my best to see it for myself. =P
As far as I can tell, the late hit has a smaller hitbox than the strong hit now rather than a bigger one, but it's the kind of thing we should just wait for the data dump to confirm imo. He can still has enough disjoint to kick Bob-ombs without getting hit at any rate, and fair never made his legs intangible.

Last edited:

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
Is intentionally going after shield breaks a viable tactic? For instance, if you notice someone shielding a lot, going for an attack with high shield damage instead of a grab? Heavies could make great use of this due to many of their high shield damage attacks being fairly safe on block. Ganon, for instance, can use an U-smash on shield then immediately go for another high shield damage attack, effectively limiting their options to 1) a shield break or 2) taking the hit.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
Is intentionally going after shield breaks a viable tactic? For instance, if you notice someone shielding a lot, going for an attack with high shield damage instead of a grab? Heavies could make great use of this due to many of their high shield damage attacks being fairly safe on block. Ganon, for instance, can use an U-smash on shield then immediately go for another high shield damage attack, effectively limiting their options to 1) a shield break or 2) taking the hit.
I've actually been thinking about this when it comes to Mewtwo, not so much in terms of breaking the shield, but damaging it enough to allow for shield pokes. Specifically, what I'm think about it using Shadow Ball to weaken shields and then use down tilt and angled forward tilts to "sweep the leg."

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
So after some play against one of the better local Diddy players post-patch... yeah, this character has fallen really hard. As Rosalina I don't really see myself at the disadvantage in this MU anymore when it used to just be awful. Diddy still has a really great neutral and decent combo potential, but the fear factor is just plain gone since he doesn't get kills off random grabs or random hits with aerials anymore until you reach a very high percent (around the 150s). It seems like when Diddy wants kills now he mostly needs to depend on banana peel trip -> fsmash which makes Diddy play a lot more like Brawl Diddy (relying on the peel to set up for kills, bad at killing if his peel game isn't working for him) but that's something a lot more realistic to play around than what he was before. I just gave the banana peel a mountain of respect and as a character with a slower paced neutral I was able to survive for quite a while on a consistent basis. My opponent wasn't using Rocketbarrell Attack which I suspect may be a more important part of Diddy's kit now, but I'm not sure that would have made the world's worth of difference since it is a non-trivial trade-off.

Diddy is still a good character, but I don't think he's unusually special or elite anymore and I'm even more convinced of this after getting some games in to demonstrate the fact. I still need to see a full technical change list to also process what happened to everyone around him, but I see this Diddy as probably pretty close to #10 on the tier list which is solid and viable but distinctly not top. I feel a bit bad for Diddy mains since this nerf has to sting, but all around I actually think Diddy is going to land about where he needs to land for the health of the game.

RedBeefBaron

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Redbeefbaron
So after some play against one of the better local Diddy players post-patch... yeah, this character has fallen really hard. As Rosalina I don't really see myself at the disadvantage in this MU anymore when it used to just be awful. Diddy still has a really great neutral and decent combo potential, but the fear factor is just plain gone since he doesn't get kills off random grabs or random hits with aerials anymore until you reach a very high percent (around the 150s). It seems like when Diddy wants kills now he mostly needs to depend on banana peel trip -> fsmash which makes Diddy play a lot more like Brawl Diddy (relying on the peel to set up for kills, bad at killing if his peel game isn't working for him) but that's something a lot more realistic to play around than what he was before. I just gave the banana peel a mountain of respect and as a character with a slower paced neutral I was able to survive for quite a while on a consistent basis. My opponent wasn't using Rocketbarrell Attack which I suspect may be a more important part of Diddy's kit now, but I'm not sure that would have made the world's worth of difference since it is a non-trivial trade-off.

Diddy is still a good character, but I don't think he's unusually special or elite anymore and I'm even more convinced of this after getting some games in to demonstrate the fact. I still need to see a full technical change list to also process what happened to everyone around him, but I see this Diddy as probably pretty close to #10 on the tier list which is solid and viable but distinctly not top. I feel a bit bad for Diddy mains since this nerf has to sting, but all around I actually think Diddy is going to land about where he needs to land for the health of the game.
I truly believe that when Diddy's meta really gets going he will regain his position in the top five and possibly the top three. Bananas in particular will become absolutely terrifying again once the remaining Diddy players master all the options it gives us. I watched the streams of bigger tourneys often pre patch and even though Diddy was the most common character, you would rarely ever see a Diddy with banana setups and control that was even close to what it could be. Because why bother to learn that stuff? He had Brawl MK normals.

In early Brawl, Diddy was originally considered to be lower mid because no one had any clue how crazy bananas would get. He ended up #2 if I'm not mistaken. While Diddy only has one peel now and it's very fragile, he still has normals that would've soundly broken Brawl Diddy. Despite the damage and KB nerfs, their speed, range, and safety is all still intact. His combo game is now much better. His mobility and versatility are both still top tier.

TLDR: Don't sleep on Diddy.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
What does anyone think of this:

If Mewtwo times his Confusion just right on an opponent standing on a platform, he can hit without
landing on the same platform. If you do this on Battlefield's lower platforms and the opponent doesn't
jump away, you can probably land an Usmash through the platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom