• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cook

Smash Master
Lol, ya'll crazy. Megaman is def fine.

You know who isn't? Link. His recovery is still total balls. Mark my words, he will be mid tier at best. Probably low mid.

Malcolm Belmont

Smash Ace
NNID
King Joffery
I was a huge fan of Doctor Mario back in Melee and currently a fan of Mario in Smash 4. So i am just wondering if he is similar to his Melee Version and how good is he really ?

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Doc takes all of his Melee properties beyond a few things. I know his aerials are the same beyond damage that is more identical to Mario(so, Reverse Nair, semi-spike Bair I think, Down Air Drill but the last hit is a KO move in this game, and Forward Air has a sweetspot that has vertical KB). Basically, Doc is mostly the same as his melee counterpart.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
After my demo impressions, Mega Man seems like a character that will take some work.. but eventually be fine. His air speed/fast fall is something to note as well.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
How many bloody active frames are on Villager's tree? It gains a hitbox when it first pops outta the ground fully grown, as you know. I swear I nailed a CPU a number of seconds later after the tree was finished with the animation (level 3 derpy AI Mega Man ftw). The knockback and damage is negligible, but still interesting nonetheless.

Villager's a tricky little ****.

Smooth Criminal

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
So I reflected the tree that was falling toward me with Palutena, and all of the sudden the guy I'm playing pocketed the tree. He later threw it at me while I was in the middle of smash attack and killed me at really low percentage. That was the first villager I played online (the lag was really bad for some reason, I haven't had that problem until then.) I quite surprised at the lack of them online.

Oh and Marth looks much slower than Lucina, I had a battle vs a Marth a few times, and I was able to run circles around him it felt like. Her air game seems stronger than Marth's also.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
You know, everyone has been talking about the fact that Mega Man is really crappy, but I found him to be surprisingly good if you know how to play him. Certainly not super high tier or anything, but nothing like the trash he's made out to be. I've been searching for a video that could really show off his potential, and it appears I have finally found one:

You just need to know how to space yourself properly with him, and he becomes incredibly deadly, racking up percents before finishing you off with a well timed bair. Oh, and one more thing to note, the commentators in this video are completely backwards for some reason when they talk about mega Man's dair; it doesn't Spike if you hit close up, but it does if you hit with the fist on its descent.

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Oh, and one more thing to note, the commentators in this video are completely backwards for some reason when they talk about mega Man's dair; it doesn't Spike if you hit close up, but it does if you hit with the fist on its descent.
I've noticed that sort of thing a lot with the newcomers, actually. In the previous round in that video, the commentators didn't seem to understand why Rosalina couldn't recall Luma (it goes into a helpless tumble when hit until it touches ground).

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
My impressions from the demo..
Mario and Link haven't seemed to change much Link's bombs don't seem to hurt him if they hit another Character

Pikachu seems to have been nerfed namely with Quick attack (can't QAC) Running reveresed Ftilt/smash is fun with Pikachu

Villager's Dsmash is going to take quite a bit of Practice to get used to. Fair and Bair as well seeing as how they're ranged aerials

Mega Man I honestly see him like Toon Link was in brawl but a bit worse Dair and SH Fair is probably his best method to getting out of a jam while grounded attackers. Ftilt just needs to be changed to something that can push opponents away. I just don't like his Ftilt..

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
It seems that all characters don't suck. Even Zelda and Ness don't suck, I mean, they are not the best but they are not garbage. Poor Ike really needs the speed equipment don't you think? Falco was stripped away from everything that made him good in Brawl.

You just need to know how to space yourself properly with him, and he becomes incredibly deadly, racking up percents before finishing you off with a well timed bair. .
Rock's Shoryuken kills at 77%?! Neat. Iggy plays Rock really well. I take back every negative comment I made about Megaman.

Last edited:

slimjim

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FS-slimjim
3DS FC
4296-3887-2717
It seems that all characters except Ike and Falco suck. Even Zelda and Ness don't suck, I mean, they are not the best but they are not garbage. Poor Ike really needs the speed equipment don't you think? Falco was stripped away from everything that made him good in Brawl.
You might want to edit that part I underlined haha. Well, Ike isn't looking too hot but Falco will be just fine I believe. They didn't take away his amazing jab or tilts or reflector or fsmash, and he now has a much better recovery. Probably mid-tier. Ganon and DK might require custom moves to not get put in Ike tier though...

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
You might want to edit that part I underlined haha. Well, Ike isn't looking too hot but Falco will be just fine I believe. They didn't take away his amazing jab or tilts or reflector or fsmash, and he now has a much better recovery. Probably mid-tier. Ganon and DK might require custom moves to not get put in Ike tier though...
OK, I'll edit it.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
I've noticed that sort of thing a lot with the newcomers, actually. In the previous round in that video, the commentators didn't seem to understand why Rosalina couldn't recall Luma (it goes into a helpless tumble when hit until it touches ground).
It's not just the newcomers, its changes in general. I've honestly been a little annoyed watching commentated sets so far because it feels like I know more about the game than the commentators do, which is never a good feeling. Don't get me wrong, I have all the respect in the world for commentators, but watching Clash tournaments and Tourney Locator sets made me cringe a little at times, like during Clash's invitational when the commentator didn't realize that Sheik's side B had been changed... a fact we've known for five months now.

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
It's not just the newcomers, its changes in general. I've honestly been a little annoyed watching commentated sets so far because it feels like I know more about the game than the commentators do, which is never a good feeling. Don't get me wrong, I have all the respect in the world for commentators, but watching Clash tournaments and Tourney Locator sets made me cringe a little at times, like during Clash's invitational when the commentator didn't realize that Sheik's side B had been changed... a fact we've known for five months now.
Especially since a lot of them have been featured in the POTD, Directs, etc.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Mega Man is the Dan of Smash 4

To me, it feels like newcomers are the best characters in this game, as is the case for all Smash games, tbh. I feel like older characters need move changes to better adapt to the metagame. Not complete moveset changes, but maybe one thing here or there to make them more viable and make tiers closer together than they end up being.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Another Smooth quip about Villager:

Do not try and hit a grounded, non-teched opponent with d-smash. You will only succeed in resetting/re-standing them, and you're almost guaranteed to eat a counterattack due to the considerable downtime of the attack.

Smooth Criminal

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Mega Man is the Dan of Smash 4

To me, it feels like newcomers are the best characters in this game, as is the case for all Smash games, tbh. I feel like older characters need move changes to better adapt to the metagame. Not complete moveset changes, but maybe one thing here or there to make them more viable and make tiers closer together than they end up being.
Eh I don't know. Guys like Bowser, Ness, and Lucario are better I think than a few of the newcomers. They all are better than what they were in Brawl.

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I think when the meta solidifies Marth will once again reign as the strongest FE character. Robin seems overrated. People call out Marths fair recovery..lol Robins aerial recovery on landing is lolterribad. Far worse then any of Marths from what I have seen.

One move alone is not enough to cover Robins flaws, namely awkward normals and pokes. That dash attack my goodness. Dont get me wrong. Robin looks good, but people are sleeping on the hero king. And Falco. And Meta-knight. And little mac. little mac is stupid good.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Have to agree a bit here. The commentators streaming now are very busy due to trying to get content out asap due to the very small amount of people putting out content - a lot of growth going on for streamers. Some out-of-nowhere streamers are getting huge now just because they have the japanese release of the game.
That doesn't, however, mean that their quality of commentary or streaming is up to par (imo ZeRo is the best one currently regularly streaming, due to game knowledge and his commentary style. But that's just my personal favourite so far - there are other good streamers too! :) ).

Last edited:

Raider 88

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Raider704
3DS FC
5086-1674-5462
You know, everyone has been talking about the fact that Mega Man is really crappy, but I found him to be surprisingly good if you know how to play him. Certainly not super high tier or anything, but nothing like the trash he's made out to be. I've been searching for a video that could really show off his potential, and it appears I have finally found one:

You just need to know how to space yourself properly with him, and he becomes incredibly deadly, racking up percents before finishing you off with a well timed bair. Oh, and one more thing to note, the commentators in this video are completely backwards for some reason when they talk about mega Man's dair; it doesn't Spike if you hit close up, but it does if you hit with the fist on its descent.
Cool find. Definitely the best Mega Man video I've seen thus far. That Sheik trying to outcamp Mega Man early on with his needles was painful to watch.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
Have to agree a bit here. The commentators streaming now are very busy due to trying to get content out asap due to the very small amount of people putting out content - a lot of growth going on for streamers. Some out-of-nowhere streamers are getting huge now just because they have the japanese release of the game.
That doesn't, however, mean that their quality of commentary or streaming is up to par (imo ZeRo is the best one currently regularly streaming, due to game knowledge and his commentary style. But that's just my personal favourite so far - there are other good streamers too! :) ).
Oh I totally agree, ZeRo's stream is quality. Honestly, I think that ZeRo is currently the best Smash 4 player right now.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Oh I totally agree, ZeRo's stream is quality. Honestly, I think that ZeRo is currently the best Smash 4 player right now.
Yep, I'd love to work with the guy in the future. Can't wait to commentate his matches.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 268018

Impressions from the demo:

Mario seems... Better. I've always liked using Mario, and he seems more solid, his smashes seem a bit stronger, and his Down B is actually viable now, because it lasts longer, is more powerful, and takes a short time to charge. Not meaning I'll ever really use it though.

Link is for sure the best character on this roster. I've always liked using Link too, and he's faster, more powerful, and just overall better. Way better. Not to mention his ARROWS can KO when fully charged in Sudden Death. Then again.. Just about everything KOs in Sudden Death. :p

Pikachu seems nerfed to me. Maybe Pikachu is the new Fox. Fox was one of the best if not the best in Melee, and got Nerfed to be faster with less power. Seems Pikachu got the same treatment from Brawl to SSB4. That being said, I like Pikachu's new Down B as a spike. Very handy at times, though a bit risky with that ultra annoying Up B recovery I hate. Overall, Pikachu got a downgrade, but seems a bit faster for it. A harassment character? Maybe.

Megaman seems to be the weakest character here at first, but when you actually play him the way he's supposed to be played, he does well. His side smashes are above average to me, and they have good reach. His A combo is very nice; It works like Peach's A slap in Brawl, which was just a nice combo breaker at 2 frames (fastest of all moves in Brawl). Mega Man's bullet spam with A will rack up a bit of damage when your opponent tries some stupid frontal assault when he gets sick of your constant barrage of Leaf Shields, Saws, and Explosive Missiles. I like his Down A too, very nice surprise attack if you time it just right. Maybe Air Down spikes. I don't know yet. Air Up looked pretty nice, reminded me of Game And Watch's Up Air with blowing up opponents, except way less accurate.

Villager? The ultimate Troll God. For sure. I can't play him well, because that's not generally my style of Smash Play, but I've seen him in action. Very nice Defensive/Troll character. And for GOD'S SAKE, DON'T UNDERESTIMATE THE TREE ATTACK!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously. It's a nice shield (Mega Man's Saw goes right though it, but then there's Neutral B for that :p), and if your opponent approaches, CHOP CHOP. I also like how Villager doesn't have to commit to his sprout. You can use the watering can to push opponents slightly, or the Ax, though I haven't tested the Ax as a fighting move as of yet. But yeah. I hate Villager's Smashes. Side Smash is good, but it has no reach at all. Up Smash is good for racking up damage, but doesn't seem to launch well. Down Smash is nice, except any old decent player can escape from a dirt pile quickly. Overall, it might be harder to kill with Villager. I also hate his Up B Revovery, but love his Side B attack, though the delay in that attack is more than enough to counter with a Mario Cape or something. Usually, I'll charge right behind the Lloyd Rocket and attack that way. Also, Radishes. And Slingshots. His Air Game is niceish.

Those are my thoughts on the Demo as of now, from a rambling fool who barely knows anything about Smash.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
My first vague impression of the roster is that Dark Pit, Doctor Mario, Ike, Link, Lucina, Luigi, Mario, Mega Man, Peach, Pit, ROB, Samus, Toon Link and WFT all lack the outstanding traits that I believe to be necessary in order to be viable in a competitive setting. This neither necessarily means that they are "bad" characters, nor does it mean that all the other characters are better than them. Moreoever, I simply can't imagine them playing a major role in competitive smash 4 and doubt that we will see any of them anywhere near the top of the tier list.

:059:

Tristan_win

Not dead.
My first vague impression of the roster is that Dark Pit, Doctor Mario, Ike, Link, Lucina, Luigi, Mario, Mega Man, Peach, Pit, ROB, Samus, Toon Link and WFT all lack the outstanding traits that I believe to be necessary in order to be viable in a competitive setting. This neither necessarily means that they are "bad" characters, nor does it mean that all the other characters are better than them. Moreoever, I simply can't imagine them playing a major role in competitive smash 4 and doubt that we will see any of them anywhere near the top of the tier list.

I notice you listed Lucina but not Marth, is there any reason behind that decision? Also while I don't know enough about each of those characters to have a real opinion on them yet I think your list could be right as I can't seem them being top/high tier either.

Honestly besides Sheik, MAYBE little mac, de3, boswer, jigglypuff(?) and zero suit(?) I don't know of any other character that I would be willing to put into the same tier. I would love to put Captain Falcon up there but I feel he's much worst then Sheik but much better then everyone you already listed.

Edit: Here's the real question, is there anyone even close as good as sheik right now? I'm bias so I want to say she a tier above everyone currently

Last edited:

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
I honestly think that Link has some sort of viability in the higher tiers, though let's be honest, he's more viable than one may originally conclude. His new Dash A, the Jump Strike, is a great finisher, as well as a good anti-air attack (with tipper). It's even a good combo starter, and I find using Dash > U-Air or Dash Tipper > F-Air is a good way to bring up damage against an opponent.

The most dangerous part of Link is his Down Aerial, since barring Sakurai's post, actually meteors in the first active frames from the tip up to part of the base, though I say it's around a very small part of the base. I've tested and meteor opponents around that, which means that Link's meteor smash is a good tactic against low off-stage to middle off-stage opponents.

His shield is broken with him, as he can pretty much block and parry most of Mega Man's attacks on the ground, and any projectile on the ground as well. The shield's hitbox is absolutely absurd, and pretty much covers half of Link's body, if not his full body. To add insult to injury, he can just walk slowly and still block projectiles, meaning you better find a way around that if you've got a character who spams projectiles.

His boomerang is much better by the fact of it not being...like Brawl. And the fact he has the Melee-esque Boomerang effect, as well as dragging opponents back with the winds as it comes back, topped off by its new knockback and power, makes me think this is better than PM's Boomerang.

His Up Special and Recovery; to put it short, it's far better and deals much more knockback with both. Especially the grounded Up Special, which can give a large amount of knockback even when uncharged.

His bombs, though they bounce off shields, do not hurt Link once he throws them at opponents. They are much more useful, despite being called "heavier".

I wish I could post more, but I think Link is one of the best, in my honest opinion.

Noa.

Smash Master
I notice you listed Lucina but not Marth, is there any reason behind that decision? Also while I don't know enough about each of those characters to have a real opinion on them yet I think your list could be right as I can't seem them being top/high tier either.

Honestly besides Sheik, MAYBE little mac, de3, boswer, jigglypuff(?) and zero suit(?) I don't know of any other character that I would be willing to put into the same tier. I would love to put Captain Falcon up there but I feel he's much worst then Sheik but much better then everyone you already listed.

Edit: Here's the real question, is there anyone even close as good as sheik right now? I'm bias so I want to say she a tier above everyone currently
I would think that Dunk Hunt is also top/high tier. He's pretty formidable.

I also think that Rosalina and Fox both have a good shot at being high tier.

Sheik is strong but idk if she's hugely better than the rest of the cast. At this pont she seems like the best but we'll see.

Last edited:

Cuccu Maestro

Smash Cadet
What is link supposed to do against a shielding opponent? He can't even sh air dodge to approach, I feel short of throwing bombs at their feet he may struggle in such a shield dominated game. Nair through them or bairs to the back of the shield aren't the worst, but they're not super good either, and Link remains gimpable in a game where people survive to a decent length and gimps therefore are pretty important in the meta.

What's stopping meta knight from being on all these possibly top tier lists? Does he have to be a tier over everyone for anyone to care about him? Seems pretty good to me, still.

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent

Did anyone expect Mario or any form of him to be top though? At the very least, he looks like a solid mid/borderline high character, THANK GOD for the buffs.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
What is link supposed to do against a shielding opponent? He can't even sh air dodge to approach, I feel short of throwing bombs at their feet he may struggle in such a shield dominated game. Nair through them or bairs to the back of the shield aren't the worst, but they're not super good either, and Link remains gimpable in a game where people survive to a decent length and gimps therefore are pretty important in the meta.

What's stopping meta knight from being on all these possibly top tier lists? Does he have to be a tier over everyone for anyone to care about him? Seems pretty good to me, still.
Well, that's supposedly easy to factor against; see, Link, against an opponent who shields, does have options, such as shield pressure with his F-Smash or even a grab. If an opponent shields while Link is throwing a bomb close range, at just enough space can Link use any combination of attacks, shield and OoS options available to him.

Well, true that Link is still gimpable, but he isn't as much gimpable now than he was before. See, Link's improved tether recovery makes it harder for him to actually be gimped, unless you time it right with a follow-up attack against the tether, and even such, it's still going to be hard due to the new "dangling" aesthetic present. With his recovery move, it can go much higher and due to its now-longer range, both attack and recovery, topped by the added ledge physics and fixed ledge grabbing, Link can recover greatly, especially from under a stage (should he not be meteor smashed).

And what's stopping Meta Knight from being on top of the tier lists? Well, all of the nerfs he's experienced, of course. His attacks have much more lag to them and his recovery has been hindered, to the point where Meta Knight now seems a high tier to my eyes. Though then again, we have people that could prove us wrong, or prove us correct.

Opinions on Pac-Man?

Are his attacks laggy?
Honestly, I'll have to find out about Pac-Man. I'm not good when it comes to adjusting to newcomer attacks (Villager having the worst time).

JonJon

Smash Cadet
NNID
jonjon_phelps
It appears Mario's cape puts him to a screeching halt, so Cape Gliding (as far as I know) is no longer possible.
However, this could be used like Game & Watch's 'Bucket Brake' and add to his survivability, but I'll have to look more into that.
Does anyone have any more information on this? The way it sounds is that mario will be incredible hard to knock off stage let alone KO. Or did I understand this wrong?

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Does anyone have any more information on this? The way it sounds is that mario will be incredible hard to knock off stage let alone KO. Or did I understand this wrong?
Well, I think Cape Gliding is still possible, just higher traction now. Mario is still, however, incredibly easy to KO off stage if you're knowing what you're doing.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Too early to tell but she's definitely an early stand-out character along with DHD, Greninja, Bowser, and ZSS. I have a hard time seeing these 5 any lower than top 15 at the worst, but we'll see...

Last edited:

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
An aggressive sheik is an absolute monster. ZSS as well.

I'm seeing a lot of really in-your-face sheik play that rewards the player. It seems great.

ZSS seems to have a lot of ground -> aerial transitions that really help her get her opponents where they don't want to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom