• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Marth's great, he's just not better than other characters worth noting.
:p

He and Lucina kinda scream some of the few characters who really don't seem to have a solid game plan by their current designs and numbers (unless you think standing still and out-reacting players's with less commitment/more reward attacks is going to work against faster characters with similar or better range), they're poorly tuned by most player's standards.

He has good times in several match ups with good characters IMO, but I haven't really seen much indication of it not being similar for any other lower-ish perceived character.
If you're in the bottom half of the cast, you just aren't that much worse or better than the rest of their cohort.

Getting forward smash tippers are impressive and game changing, that's about it; he's a gambit that can destroy souls but the likelihood of it is low. If we hypothetically take just "that" (Fsmash) out of the picture, he's looking comparable to Captain Falcon in Brawl, both characters share[d] a lot of mechanical similarities and play patterns. Falcon had good mobility specs but he contrasted very poorly to Sonic back then, one of the best jabs and one of the best up airs. He had a disgusting amount of landing lag and ending lag on most of his moves and he scored nothing from grabs against anything but grab releases. Contrast to Marth who had one of the best grab games, [one of] the best sets of aerial landing lag and a dominant-ish neutral, all of which Falcon now has. Falcon had a lot of structural nerfs that extended past the face-value and was not 'lucky' in any other area. I would say those nerfs were mostly rescinded, if not buffed, his high/top tier position is boasted by his general solid stature. Marth got battered up in a lot of similar ways and now lives in a world where he has a good down tilt (rather than a jab) to "hopefully" cover every shortfall he has as a character against the entirety of the cast; I and most other Marth players know that isn't enough.

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Anyway while we're on the subject of frame-data-type-stuff, how does clashing work in this game? I suppose it's something I can test in training mode, and probably will. But I've never seen a definitive answer, and this seems as good a place as any to ask.
What I mean is: when two grounded attacks clash with each other, both users incur a brief "stun" afterwards. I'm assuming that whoever used the stronger attack suffers less "stun," but I've never confirmed for sure.
Also sometimes attacks clearly clash with Mac's Ftilt, but he keeps on Ftilting as if nothing happened, I don't know what the deal is with that.
Stronger hit = more clash stun, as far as I know. Really blatant when Rosalina's jab clanks with Ganondorf's fsmash, he can move again quickly while she's still doubled over like her appendix popped.

Some attacks have a property where they aren't cancelled after they clank.

Last edited:

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Why is Gunner that low when they are allowed their own set-up. Short Fat Gunner with a Neutral 3 and Down 2 becomes a mobile zoner/trapper who can just keep throwing out the bombs until you die, *** in Stealth Burst and he gains another killing projectile that serves as an effective trap. And don't get me started on Fair. At lower percents you can combo from his projectile game and at higher percents the opponent has to start fearing getting killed by them. It's pretty insane for a zoner/trapper with these kinds of tools to get such good mobility from these tools. And even with all that he still isn't completely useless at close range because he has solid close range tools that serve getting the opponent out of his space.

Granted this is most theory crafting and labbing as my region is currently no customs and 1111 average Miis. :L
I can vouch for its usefulness against opponents. Haven't been able to use him in tournament because my region was using the apex ruleset for a while. I personally use a skinny mii with a height between short and average height. Air speed is slightly below Yoshi with good range\low lag. Fat miis are just slower without much better kill power and weight. I also switched to the missile since it lingers and offers good pressure for other attacks.

The value of possibly countering other characters with the choice of downB is enough of an asset to keep him competitive.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I agree with a lot of what's been said Re:Gunner; when I put him there, I thought "Man, I'm being conservative on this guy--I just don't have even the least bit of first-hand experience to defend putting him higher."

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Gunner is what Samus and Megaman wish they could be. He is bonkers.

Too bad TO's neuter him so he doesn't matter.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
yo @ ChronoPenguin ChronoPenguin lets go son.

I dont NEED Link to finish you off. Also sorry for that sneak attack. It was Links idea. I am a man of honor. That aside, if you have visions surely you have forseen your defeat at my hands, yes? Let's see which is stronger. The Monado or the Falchion.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
yo @ ChronoPenguin ChronoPenguin lets go son.

I dont NEED Link to finish you off. Also sorry for that sneak attack. It was Links idea. I am a man of honor. That aside, if you have visions surely you have forseen your defeat at my hands, yes? Let's see which is stronger. The Monado or the Falchion.
...link?
where is the master sword in the epic battle oh weaponry

@ ChronoPenguin ChronoPenguin
lol perhaps its more notible than others but iv seen an instant with almost every character being annoying in some shape or form in the right hands.

Last edited:

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Stronger hit = more clash stun, as far as I know. Really blatant when Rosalina's jab clanks with Ganondorf's fsmash, he can move again quickly while she's still doubled over like her appendix popped.

Some attacks have a property where they aren't cancelled after they clank.
Thanks, that was simple enough.

Re: Miis: Is there a consensus yet on how they should be played? When the game was newer, people seemed to agree that it would be extremely annoying to learn every height/weight/speed/power capability for all the Mii sizes possible. Then when it was shown how you can "create a Mii in 30 seconds!" with the Guest Miis, I figured it was settled: tournament-standard Miis would be the default Guest Mii height/weight, which from my understanding is medium all around.
But people still want special snowflake Miis, which gives them a hypothetical advantage over other characters, in my eyes. With custom Specials enabled, there is the same amount to learn for each character: 3 per special. They can mix and match these specials, but the way the specials function will always be the same. With Miis however, you have to learn all the specials, in addition to the different speed/weight etc. aspects. No other character has this kind of advantage available to them, it's almost like being able to equip Equipment, although I'm sure it's more minor.

I just wanted to see what the "consensus" (if there is one) was on Mii sizes, because I haven't heard anything about it lately. I don't really give a crap about the characters either way.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Not even close.
This is more in the lines of Peach and Shulk, where you have a character that can legitimately set themself apart between who is playing them.

Baby you know my 3DS code. I'll Kirby you.
3DS?!?!?!?

No WII U?!?!?!?!

No Bueno

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
The consensus is that mii players don't want to be limited while non mii players are fine with limits. The height and weight differences are unique but aren't game breaking in the least.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
But yeah, Marth being seen as bottom 5 isn't only because of me, I'm sure (top NA players + Japan say the same thing). I think it's possible he's bottom 5 but wouldn't be certain by any measure if I was asked. Lucina is more likely at least. Newer characters may be in a worse spot, but between veterans I'm sure people tend to agree he doesn't gel well (a mixture of similar sentiments tend to exist for Doc, G&W, Kirby, Samus, Zelda) while from newcomers some think of Junior, Palutena, WiiFit, Swordfighter. It's a smallish group of characters, but there exists enough people willing to vouch for every single one of them to as not being "that bad", but at the end of the day, someone has to be.

Last edited:

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Due to Emblem Lord I ended up playing For Glory. After several victories, I now see life in 40 FPS and recall I can just go to T.O tommorow instead. Hopefully my eyes will readjust

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
bottom 5? no. Just from a match-up point of view thats impossible.

Not that I care.

*yawn

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458

Re: Miis: Is there a consensus yet on how they should be played? When the game was newer, people seemed to agree that it would be extremely annoying to learn every height/weight/speed/power capability for all the Mii sizes possible. Then when it was shown how you can "create a Mii in 30 seconds!" with the Guest Miis, I figured it was settled: tournament-standard Miis would be the default Guest Mii height/weight, which from my understanding is medium all around.
But people still want special snowflake Miis, which gives them a hypothetical advantage over other characters, in my eyes. With custom Specials enabled, there is the same amount to learn for each character: 3 per special. They can mix and match these specials, but the way the specials function will always be the same. With Miis however, you have to learn all the specials, in addition to the different speed/weight etc. aspects. No other character has this kind of advantage available to them, it's almost like being able to equip Equipment, although I'm sure it's more minor.

I just wanted to see what the "consensus" (if there is one) was on Mii sizes, because I haven't heard anything about it lately. I don't really give a crap about the characters either way.
Unless there was a shift in thought, general Mii trend is to get yourself a Short Mii unless they limit you to default.
To some extent I believe this is due to Brawlers advantages while Short. Gunner and Swordsman's range loss is more obvious between heights though even still, you get a lot more mobility among less lag going short then you gain power for taking height.

Paletuna has the same advantage. Calling it an advantage is wonky..
If I give you the choice between a move with 1% damage with 260 frames of start-up and 3000 frames of recovery vs a move with 10% damage, but 30000 frames of recovery and 90000 frames of start up.
They both suck and aren't giving you an advantage. This is obviously an exaggeration to reinforce the point.
If they're not valid options they aren't advantages, and when they are valid options you have to wonder if it's only because other moves aren't (head on assault sucks).

Last edited:
3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
So why is anyone other than Diddy in the tier of your top 4 Luco?
Why is Rosalina and Sonic there? What are they winning?

Let's talk about what ZSS has and then mention what she doesn't.
Top tier mobility specs - undeniable.
Range and speed comparable to Diddy and Sheik in attacks.
OoS options: Up B (4), Jab (8), Up Tilt (10), etc
A lot of safety in her tools, low commitment actions which lead to big rewards.

What she doesn't have:
a 6-8 frame grab.
not a variety of killing attacks

-

I don't think ZSS bair has a sour spot this game, it's only out two frames IIRC.
It works like it did in Brawl; the tip of the move kills eariler than the rest of the leg.

David Viran

Smash Lord
I just thought about this when someone says move X kills later than it did in brawl they don't take into account rage. Zss's Bair for example killed at the ledge in brawl at like 90% but in this game without rage it us 100% but when zss is at 100% of rage it kills even earlier than in brawl something like 80-85%.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
bottom 5? no. Just from a match-up point of view thats impossible.

Not that I care.

*yawn
Yeah compadre, who cares, let's get back to that top 5 Sheik and ZSS labbing rather than floating around our shared bottom 5 character ;)
His match ups are obviously still looking alright with most of the cast. But I honestly don't see any match up advantages existing on nearly anyone outside of those lower-perceived characters. Lots of 50/50s are being called right now just because their tools can still like... work and you cannot really quantify tippers and KOing up throw. I think because of how fast Marth was developed (to a base standard where we understand what we have), the balls in the court for every other character to show us up, with seemingly a lot of room to do so (dat universal -20+ on shield on everything bar dtilt), getting dash grabbed or dash attacked is the least of our worries, and that's all we're getting hit by on average right now when much better punishes exist and are going to develop.

It works like it did in Brawl; the tip of the move kills eariler than the rest of the leg.
Oh whoops, you're right. Both hitboxes have the same specs just different base damage. Meh, I like my spacing ;) Especially when the sweetspot is over twice the hitbox size of the sour spot.

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
People limiting Palutena shows the real reason why customs are banned. People don't want to deal with learning how to fight new moves. Easier to whine and hope things stay the same.

Such pitiful weakness.

@ Shaya Shaya

Yeah as far as metagame goes I don' t think Marth has anymore juice. Been talking to alot of people and several NJ heads say I'm prolly the best Marth they have seen and my edgeguarding is top notch so if im a baseline well damn Marth hasn't much left in him because I don't do anything special and I lose to the usual top tiers when I go Marth. Granted I got Nairo, NAKAT, 6WX, Blue, Dabuz, Juice.Doom, False, JTails etc so my region is basically a slaughterhouse every saturday but these same guys give me compliments so idk.

Get 3 stocked by Diddy*

"Damn yo awesome marth"

wait....WHAT?!?!?!?!

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
People limiting Palutena shows the real reason why customs are banned. People don't want to deal with learning how to fight new moves. Easier to whine and hope things stay the same.

Such pitiful weakness.
Customs make Dr. Mario much more threatening so they only serve to benefit the character I've put 2-3 months on, mainly because Fast Capsules are basically Falco lasers and help him control the pace a lot and combined with Doc Nado 1 it's REALLY good (I like Breezy Sheet too, ideal set for me is 2312/2311).

I'd like to see them explored post this year's Apex because I think they're cool!

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Paletuna has the same advantage. Calling it an advantage is wonky..
If I give you the choice between a move with 1% damage with 260 frames of start-up and 3000 frames of recovery vs a move with 10% damage, but 30000 frames of recovery and 90000 frames of start up.
They both suck and aren't giving you an advantage. This is obviously an exaggeration to reinforce the point.
If they're not valid options they aren't advantages, and when they are valid options you have to wonder if it's only because other moves aren't (head on assault sucks).
Wait what does Palutena have to do with it? What I'm saying is:
-I like custom moves. Please let's enable them (better yet, please Nintendo give us a patch so they're easier to unlock AND as easy to pick on the character select screen as your character's color is!)
-I don't know what to feel about Mii Height/Weight stuff. I don't even know EXACTLY the list of things that change with the differences, if someone can direct me please do so. I just lazily skimmed the Brawler board and didn't see anything that looked like that. It just seemed logical to me to do the default "Guest Miis" so everyone is the same height/weight and non-Mii mains don't have to worry about learning a potential ton of extra matchup stuff that no other characters have going for them, "in their favor."

Chuva

Smash Apprentice
They probably don't want to deal with 2122 Brawler killing people at 60ish % with a SHFF FAir into Helicopter Kick

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP

Such pitiful weakness.

@ Shaya Shaya

Yeah as far as metagame goes I don' t think Marth has anymore juice. Been talking to alot of people and several NJ heads say I'm prolly the best Marth they have seen and my edgeguarding is top notch so if im a baseline well damn Marth hasn't much left in him because I don't do anything special and I lose to the usual top tiers when I go Marth. Granted I got Nairo, NAKAT, 6WX, Blue, Dabuz, Juice.Doom, False, JTails etc so my region is basically a slaughterhouse every saturday but these same guys give me compliments so idk.

Get 3 stocked by Diddy*

"Damn yo awesome marth"

wait....WHAT?!?!?!?!
I hear the same stuff. But alas...

Sliding turn dashes and perfect pivots are helping us more than most other characters.
Smooth and clean pivot jumping (in particular back air) is better than fairing 90% of the time but is about twice as hard to hit/pressure with it successfully, those 4-5 frames less "lag" from auto cancelling it are critical.
Sour spot fairs and going for the full tech covering options on their landing bounce (i.e. fsmash tipper set ups) lasting longer than Lucina's

It's still the 1% helpers on what is a pretty low base score. Maybe we'll get better usages of aerial dancing blade, figure out all the counter scenarios, use dolphin slash for everything and we'll see Marth being super scary.

Last edited:

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
The only good argument against customs is time. Apex will run straight through evo is everyone is altering their stuff assuming it's unlocked in the first place. Even then 12 sets should be enough to have all the good ones set up before the tourney and even if it's not there's a huge difference between a bunch of people needing to change customs and even 200. Only thing is Mii's would have to be default height/weight. No getting around that really.

Kind of reminds me of the SFxT gems thing.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789

Such pitiful weakness.

@ Shaya Shaya

Get 3 stocked by Diddy*

"Damn yo awesome marth"

wait....WHAT?!?!?!?!
all i realy see every here or there is toronto joe. only guy whos complimented me 2.

Everyone else though... in canada we aint rude ut we sure aint nice.

err well form a canadain stand point i guess.

@ Terios the Hedgehog Terios the Hedgehog
this has been the statement for a log time witch is why @ Amazing Ampharos Amazing Ampharos
has a very clever and smooth plan for how this can be as effective and quick as possible you should look it up something.
well regarding the custom movements only the mii's need a standardization.

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I can vouch for its usefulness against opponents. Haven't been able to use him in tournament because my region was using the apex ruleset for a while. I personally use a skinny mii with a height between short and average height. Air speed is slightly below Yoshi with good range\low lag. Fat miis are just slower without much better kill power and weight. I also switched to the missile since it lingers and offers good pressure for other attacks.

The value of possibly countering other characters with the choice of downB is enough of an asset to keep him competitive.
Well see, I have minimum height and max weight. The max weight isn't so much for the extra kill power or survivability as it is for the extra range which is actually a noticeable difference from a skinny Mii when the Mii is at the shortest height possible. I want my little zoner/trapper to be as hard to hit as possible while still having good range (which short/fat does) and be able to do double FH Fair so short/fat is the best combination for what I want out of Gunner. I've messed around with other wiehgt/height combinations and they just weren't what I were looking for.

I messed around with Missile and really couldn't see myself using it that much when I have the two bombs. Stealth Burst, while laggy and punishable if you use it incorrectly, gives the threat of a another killing projectile and serves as a pretty good trap I think.

I actually don't think switching from Down 2 is all that important or good due to how laggy the reflector and absorber are, I could see them maybe having a use against chargable projectiles like Charge Shot or Aura Sphere but not much else and I think I would still rather just stick to the bomb.

If I can't create the Mii to play like I want it to then the reason for me to use the character goes out the window. You either limit them and ruin the character, which is what is currently being done, or you let them flourish and let them be relevant. There is no middle road, at least I won't accept a middle road. Also this so called "advantage" bullcrap is so very very minor and the only thing you have to account for is how you can combo the character but the general play-style stays the same.

nah the miis are rarely played because people limit them so much so they don't want to bother trying to learn them.

If people actually learned how tot play gunner he would be really obnoxious, just imo not as good as megaman.
Personally think Gunner is probably better. But that is mostly theory still so I won't go into it much. All I can do with Gunner currently is lab out my preferred set-up and wait for the day when they aren't limited.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I hear the same stuff. But alas...

Sliding turn dashes and perfect pivots are helping us more than most other characters.
Smooth and clean pivot jumping (in particular back air) is better than fairing 90% of the time but is about twice as hard to hit/pressure with it successfully, those 4-5 frames less "lag" from auto cancelling it are critical.
Sour spot fairs and going for the full tech covering options on their landing bounce (i.e. fsmash tipper set ups) lasting longer than Lucina's

It's still the 1% helpers on what is a pretty low base score. Maybe we'll get better usages of aerial dancing blade, figure out all the counter scenarios, use dolphin slash for everything and we'll see Marth being super scary.
He has some good stuff. He really does, but its just SOOOOOOOOOOO obvious that he has been chained down purposely. The favoritism is real. Just alot of situations where I feel my opponent can disrespect me and I can't disrespect them or at least my disrespect requires forethought (counter).

Also omg other Marths are so bad. Roll around f-smash. All I saw in tourney this past saturday. I wanted to burn down an orphanage. And the nerds were out in full force. I'm sorry but you could tell these dudes were ****in virgins. UGH!!!! Giving fighting gamers a bad name.

Sorry I went on a tangent there, I digress. Anyway yeah honestly he really only loses to like 10 chars and 10 out of 40 something aint bad but most are top tiers sooooo that basically kills him at high level.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Averaging these three lists because I like them: (Forgive the arbitrary labels--also no Miis due to incomplete data)
Agreed Top Tier::4diddy::rosalina::4sheik::4sonic::4zss:
Shaya's other Top Tier::4pikachu::4fox::4falcon::4ness:
Agreed High Tier::4darkpit:/:4pit::4peach::4jigglypuff::4luigi::4yoshi::4olimar::4wario:
Two High Votes Tier: :4lucario::4mario:
One High Vote Tier::4robinm::4rob::4megaman::4tlink:
Conda Overrates People tier::4gaw::4pacman:
Agreed Upon Mid Tier::4dk::4greninja::4duckhunt::4myfriends::4link::4villager:
Two Mid Votes Tier::4bowser::4charizard::4shulk::4metaknight::4bowserjr::4wiifit:
One Mid Vote Tier::4samus::4dedede::4falco::4ganondorf::4marth::4kirby::4littlemac::4palutena:
Agreed Lower Tier::4zelda::4lucina::4drmario:

My List: (1v1, no customs, ordered within each level)
:4sheik::4diddy::4zss::4sonic:
:4pikachu::rosalina::4ness::4fox::4falcon::4yoshi::4lucario:
:4mario::4peach::4luigi::4pit::4darkpit::4wario::4jigglypuff::4olimar::4villager:
:4dk::4robinm::4greninja::4megaman::4pacman::4rob::4tlink::4shulk::4charizard:
:4metaknight::4myfriends::4bowserjr::4ganondorf::4bowser::4link::4wiifit::4kirby::4gaw:
:4palutena::4samus::4duckhunt::4falco::4littlemac::4dedede:
:4marth::4drmario::4lucina::4zelda:

My List: (1v1, customs, ordered within each level--each level relative to the above)
:4sheik::4diddy::4sonic::4zss::4pikachu::4lucario::rosalina:
:4fox::4ness::4falcon::4palutena::4yoshi::4miibrawl::4villager::4dk::4luigi::4mario:
:4peach::4olimar::4robinm::4greninja::4ganondorf::4pit::4darkpit::4myfriends::4bowserjr::4wario::4shulk::4charizard::4megaman::4bowser::4jigglypuff::4duckhunt:
:4tlink::4wiifit::4rob::4pacman::4gaw::4metaknight::4samus::4link:
:4kirby::4falco::4miigun::4littlemac:
:4drmario::4dedede::4marth::4lucina:
:4zelda::4miisword:

Looking back, biggest winners who moved up at least 2 levels in viability are Palutena (39 -> 11), DK (20 -> 14), Ganon (32 -> 21), Ike (30 -> 24), Bowser Jr. (31 -> 25), DHD (40 -> 32), and Samus (39 -> 39). WFT also probably counts as a big winner (35 -> 34).
My list is pretty different in a few ways. Further inspection has suggested I was probably underrating Pikachu but I still don't quite believe top tier (good, safe character but not exactly "explosive"; I value a few things differently than the average it seems).

No customs/Miis:

:4diddy::4lucario::4sonic::rosalina::4sheik::4yoshi:
:4ness::4zss::4pikachu::4falcon::4bowserjr::4fox::4mario::4charizard::4villager::4pit::4darkpit::4jigglypuff:
:4rob::4peach::4shulk::4luigi::4wario::4bowser::4myfriends::4robinm::4drmario:
:4link::4greninja::4marth::4lucina::4megaman::4duckhunt::4tlink::4dk:
:4ganondorf::4dedede::4kirby::4metaknight::4palutena::4samus:
:4olimar::4gaw::4wiifit::4falco::4littlemac::4pacman:
:4zelda:

Customs/Miis:

:4lucario::4diddy::4sonic::rosalina::4villager::4yoshi::4sheik:
:4ness::4fox::4pikachu::4zss::4mario::4falcon::4charizard::4bowserjr::4myfriends::4palutena::4pit::4darkpit::4bowser:
:4shulk::4robinm::4peach::4jigglypuff::4rob::4luigi::4miibrawl::4wario::4drmario::4dk:
:4duckhunt::4link::4megaman::4tlink::4greninja::4miigun::4marth::4lucina::4ganondorf:
:4samus::4olimar::4dedede::4wiifit::4kirby::4metaknight::4gaw::4falco:
:4littlemac::4pacman:
:4miisword::4zelda:

Everyone just kinda crowds up with customs on, and sometimes it has funny results. Like it looks like Falco isn't better on the customs list since he's not better than any characters he was before, but he's a tier higher in terms of overall viability since Void Reflector and Distant Fire Bird actually do help him a lot.

So general thoughts:

Up top I maintain Sheik is somewhat overrated (she's good but not #1) and likewise still put Pikachu lower than the crowd but do see him as solid. I think Lucario is seriously, seriously slept on for how ridiculous he is on so many levels, and I think Sonic and Rosalina are also extremely powerful in a way that is easy to overlook since they're less straightforward than a lot of the other top tier characters. I think customs help Villager to a massive extent and make him one of the best characters; Timber Counter is really just plain incredible, and Explosive Balloon Trip is pretty solid as well (I also like Pushy Lloid existing as an option though it's not always correct; it's just another handy thing, and Garden is even a small plus in a few MUs as well).

I believe in Charizard in a very legitimate way. This character is honestly complete, handles situations way better than all of the other heavies while still having the core strengths of the heavies. Likewise I seem to put Bowser Jr. pretty high up versus the crowd, but I've seen enough of the character to have real respect for his power. He's kinda like a heavy except with a very strong disruption game, and it's really weird but I think pans out very well for him overall.

I don't think Doc is sufficiently inferior to Mario to be nearly the whole tier list apart. I would never suggest picking Doc since Mario is just flat better by a real margin, but it's not *that* big of a difference to make Doc actually worse than a lot of these guys. I see the other two clones (Dark Pit and Lucina) as inferior but trivially so and thus one place down only.

I'm not ready to jump on the Olimar hype train yet, especially if Tackle Pikmin Throw isn't on the table. Tackle Pikmin Throw is a game changer that I could see proving me wrong and letting him rise more than my current muted optimism for him. I also maintain Pac-Man is just awful; I have zero belief in the potential of this character other than that he's better than Zelda.

I think the biggest winners from customs by far are Palutena, Villager, and Ike. DK I also think is improved a ton; up-3 does matter that much to him as a character (and he has several other good options but it's really up-3 that matters here). The only real loser I see as Jigglypuff; customs add almost nothing to her while giving plenty of characters better recoveries or other general tools useful against her (she's still a good character). Most other changes from customs I see as single tier ups or minor reshuffles within tiers; the game is a lot tighter and better with customs, but normals, grabs, and physics are a pretty huge proportion of what matters in this game so customs can only do so much especially since when everyone is winning you get more of a compression effect than real re-arranging.

I also seriously am not so sure about Pit/Dark Pit. I don't have much experience with either but they kinda vaguely seem that good? I could see myself being wrong and them being lower for sure.

My tier list is probably weird in a lot of ways, but the game is young and it's hard for us to be on the same page and I wouldn't be happy just copying what everyone else is saying I think it's more valuable to share what I've been seeing/thinking myself. Feel free to tear this list apart guys; I just figured if Thinkaman was willing to put out his thoughts I had better do the same.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Just to add to the custom discussion a bit I think customs should be allowed and I think their should be more CP stages allowed. If the ruleset stays the way Apex has them the game will get stale really fast. So more diversity not less will shake things up IMO.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
@ Amazing Ampharos Amazing Ampharos do you think you could expand upon Charizard more please? As I do agree with you about him but am at a loss to explain how/why. Like, I see the potiental for him to be like that but making it work out is a bit more on the tough side so I can't really explain why I think he is better then the other heavies. So I'm really curious to hear your more in-depth explanation/reasoning on him.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Lucario can't be better then Sheik. He is sooooooooooooo underwhelming. Like honestly worse then Marth. But aura is THAT ridiculous.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I'm interested in what people here think about Mega Man.

He's tough to handle, but Zucco has shown real skill in zoning with all the tools that Megs has in his arsenal.

David Viran

Smash Lord
I don't see lucario being that high because his neutral is kind of well not good and he doesn't start getting major reward for landing a hit until he's higher percents. He doesn't seem to do to good against characters that can kill early and have a better neutral.

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
I can't see bowser jr and charizard being that high. They have decent tools but I think there are other characters who may do there job better or at least in a safer way.

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
I don't see lucario being that high because his neutral is kind of well not good and he doesn't start getting major reward for landing a hit until he's higher percents. He doesn't seem to do to good against characters that can kill early and have a better neutral.
what exactly makes lucario's neutral bad? he has good projectile pressure and nair/fair are good. i will agree entirely that he just dies to early kill options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom