• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Character Competitive Impressions - Tourneys, Tiers, Theories, Tactics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
DunnoBro DunnoBro Is there anything to MVD counter picking Mega Man with Duck Hunt? Does DHD have a better MM MU than Diddy, or is it purely a comfort pick?

Annnyways, Scatt is in Losers' quarters right now. That's a Mega Man in top 5 at a national. I dunno about you guys, but I'd say this warrants a serious discussion of Mega Man, given that he has better results than Yoshi, Pac-Man, Pit, (correct me if I'm wrong) and Wario since Abadango dropped him.

Edit: Scatt won his quarters set.

Last edited:

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Sheik has a far easier time killing than Pikachu lol.

Getting a 50/50 off of d-throw > fishing for up-smash lol.

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
Sheik has a far easier time killing than Pikachu lol.

Getting a 50/50 off of d-throw > fishing for up-smash lol.
...Except Pika doesn't fish for up smash. Look at ESAM vs every top Sheik: the vast majority of his kills are off either thunder, or gimps/edgeguards, often sub-%150.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Lots of catching up to do!

Sakurai isn't the only one in charge of designing all characters and balancing everyone. They came out during development to speak that they now have multiples of people working on that.
Hence, why we get "balance patches" to further keep the standards they are invested in.
Yes and no. Game development is more complex than that, as is the special nuances of Smash and its development.

Sakurai has absolute control over all gameplay parameters. He in an INCREDIBLY hands-on director who micromanages certain things to an extreme degree--for example, he poses 4 keyframes for every combat action in the game in his design doc. This level of control can be good or bad, and frankly that's a matter that exclusively his development team is able to judge. The only thing it means to us is that the end product tends to follow a single vision *very* consistently.

For balance specifically, Sakurai has talked publicly about his process.

In Melee, which was made frantically in 11 months, they pretty much just played games whenever possible and Sakurai frantically changed things daily however he felt.

In Brawl, they had more time. Sakurai internally had the development team compete, and had the best 4 members assemble as a "monitor team.". They recorded all their matches (a mix of FFA and 1v1, with items and without), and were require to submit reports with recommended changes. Sakurai would then approve changes personally--if he rejected a change, usually because it made a character too different from the source design (like speeding up a heavy character too much), he'd demand alternatives.

In Smash 4, Sakurai increased the monitor size team to 12, to provide vastly more character coverage and avoid someone like MK slipping through. He commented how he plays with them two nights a week to understand their perspectives, even though they always beat him. He also said the monitor team has the For Glory data and reads Japanese message boards, which they use to review and "sanity check" their decisions. (He commented specifically after the game came out, that the monitor team was very surprised at one of the characters with the highest FG win rates, and was struggling to understand why that character was winning so much and decide if anything needed to be done. It was never revealed who this was.)

One thing that is likely certain, based on Nintendo's international certification process, is that any balanced changes we get are completed 4-6 weeks before we get them. Additionally, outside of FG data and maybe a very vague awareness of EVO, the Japanese-speaking monitor team probably doesn't pay much attention to the western scene.

Why is powersuit Samus not included in that list? She was used.
Well, only once, and as a hail-Mary. But... it was loser's finals of a national tourney. And I've always said I care infinitely more about the character you lost with than the one you won with, because the former was the character you truly believed you had the most chance with when it mattered the most. I've now listed Samus in the op (by which I guess I mean second reply) with a note.

Not to mention, Nairo himself pulled out Robin and Meta Knight for a single match each against ZeRo, to no success.
Yeah, but I think we all agree that was Different. Nairo himself has stated that while those games were "serious", the goal was not to win but to collect data on Zero's mood, habits, and tendencies that day. (Without revealing his own, with his true character.)

Again, I think that in tourney the character(s) top players lose with say more than the character(s) they win with. But there's a line, and in this case Nairo's exploratory picks were imo on the other side.

New thread: well written ruleset Thinkaman, but do "tiers" really need to be in the title of the thread?
Yes, because the title isn't for you and me. It's for random new-user billy who is trying to figure out where to post his totally sweet tier list. It's better for him to click this thread and maybe read it and not get modded (let me dream) than post it elsewhere.

Personal thought: I do wish in any future patches released that they bring new improvements to the lesser-used characters such as Marth and Lucina. They deserve better.
  1. Marth/Lucina is one of the most buffed characters across patches. Not saying that means they are automatically good or don't "deserve" more changes, but still.
  2. Marth/Lucina (particularly Marth) is nowhere near the worst character(s) in the game, at least according to public opinion. Not saying that this means they shouldn't be improved further, but still.

Ryu's Collarbone Breaker is frame 13, does 37 percent shield damage and is now a block string.

Uncharged Shield Breaker for Marth is either 33-34 percent shield damage and is frame 19.

Nerf Shield Breaker Kappa
Comparing moves directly is often unfair, and I think this case is particularly bad.

Shield breaker is chargeable, which means it can beat spot-dodge. The added value of beating two defensive options is more than twice that of beating one. Additionally, it is much longer range and disjointed.

Of course, Collarbone Breaker is a great move on its own.

I've never had trouble reading my posts. If it's so hard to read, why is it allowed as an option?
I mean, obviously the Xenforo post options are a common set of tools for any Xenforo message board, regardless of default theme/background.

Regardless, the lighter blue is much more readable, thanks!

So that the subject is not derailed further @Mr. ShinyUmbreon and Kaladin Kaladin you can change your settings so ALL text shows up as white despite what someone puts it as. Go to your preferences here on the forum.
Correct, but then you'll miss out on cool highlights like this! I would advise people to use legible text on the default theme wherever possible.

But on the subject of Sheik I too agree it seems odd to say she isn't capable of having any even matchups but she DOES seem significantly better than most all characters in the cast. I don't know if that means she just has itty bitty advantages over some characters but if that's the case it's probably not enough to matter. I'd say she does have the best matchup spread in the game though.

Maybe more controversially, I'd say she also makes a nice chunks of characters probably not worth touching in tournaments if more and more people pick her up. I get this game is one of the best balanced Smash titles but I still cannot understand why folks seem to think everyone could still snag a top 8 at a major event. There's a point where some characters just plain can't do work on a national or international scale and we need to stop using locals to justify them as tournament viable.
The big question is how many more Sheiks will we see, and what impact those Sheiks will have on the metagame. Or, more specifically, what is the relative disadvantage of everyone learning the Sheik matchup?

Ulevo

Smash Master
I'll try

This can literally be said for every character, guess his only bad MU is :4greninja:.

Sheik doesn't get juggled, not with her disadvantage state being so good. Down throw to shuttle loop stops working pretty early if she DI's correctly due to how her hurtbox is during hitstun. If you have a frame 3 Nair you can break the FH Uair --> FF Bair setup if the MK isn't frame perfect, MK cannot break any of her strings/combos outside of Dair being somewhat useful during 50/50 setups off her down throw. Although its not guaranteed, Down throw near the ledge into RAR Bair will not work on a competent Sheik all she has to do is Fair she has no reason to airdodge.

Off stage is in Sheik's favor, MK cannot pressure her off stage at all, her Fair will swat away his edgeguard attempts and of course Vanish screwing a very light character like MK over. Abadango foolishly went to edgeguard J's Sheik instead of maintaining stage control and that cost him the match. Its very rare for a MK to edgeguard Sheik, Sheik users on the other hand can FH needle storm MK if he tries to drill rush and then combo into BF, literally BF without worry since he can't do anything against that other than dipping low or getting a well timed airdodge.

This hasn't been said by any MK in months.

If this is done at long range and MK has the lead this is feasible, but for the most part doing this at mid range isn't safe at all. Sheik can just jump at MK and Fair, MKs best option in that situation is to go as high as possible then mix up their landing with Cape. If the MK wants to jump around then the Sheik player will just fully charge their needles for later use such as:kill confirm near the ledge and edgeguard attempt.

Other than MK killing her by winning neutral once(impossible btw even with FF bair) or twice and all that jazz. I have yet to see a good write up on how MK goes even with her never mind suddenly beating her. The most common argument to back this up tend to be results, but those who do this cherry pick results from Leo and Leo only.

Here's some i can remember.
Ito beat down Zex and Trevonte. Never beats Void(kills sheik at 27%, still loses).
Tyrant beat Vinnie and Void(4-3 atm). Lost to Vinnie at CEO and socal local, gets bopped by Mr R.
Salena lost to Edge. I think he lost to Rain as well im not sure please clarify.
Abadango lost to Wizzrobe and J.

Abadango being the closest to Leo's level has yet to beat a competent Sheik with MK. Other than Salena and Leo, every top MK considers it a bad MU including Mr R who uses both characters at high level and understands them both. Also to bounce back the "Mr R is way better than Tyrant" replies, if you wanna take away that loss you'll also have to knock of Ito's wins against Zex/Trevonte. Its interesting how many times Sheik eliminates MK in tournament im probably missing other scenarios as well but that's all i can remember off the top of my head.

I guarantee if Leo was to lose to a Sheik(God forbid) at Genesis most of you wouldn't call it even. A bad MU should not make it an auto lose at high level, like Anti's pre patch Luigi beating Abadango's Pacman.
Adding to this. Sheik's forward air has enough range to cleanly beat Meta Knight's dash attack and outranges his full jump forward air. It becomes a rock/paper/scissors game in neutral where Sheik holds the cards. Meta Knight does not lose to Needles but he needs to approach because of then. He cannot float them because Sheik just fires them when he lands and nets free damage. If Sheik empty hops back and weaves forward Meta Knight cannot risk a dash attack without risk of it whiffing. In the air he loses to forward air. One of his only viable approaches is to dash in shield, but spacing forward air well or empty hop in to grab ruins this option too. Given that she has better frame data in all of this makes finding openings rather difficult.

Her combos against Meta Knight are really strong. She can net 50%+ if she does it properly, and down throw to up air kills due to Meta Knights weight and fall speed. As long as Sheik does it properly, Meta Knight will die with no chance to jump of air dodge.

There are other aspects of it too. Meta Knight can normally fast fall neutral air her Vanish teleport but Sheiks will begin to learn to ledge cancel the Vanish which will kill a Meta Knight attempting this.

Add to that that Meta Knight's worst state is on the edge and Sheiks ledge guarding is strong, and that Meta Knight's signature combo is very hard with specific percent windows, and she just has the match up advantage over all. The main advantage Meta Knight has is that his punishes kill earlier.

Last edited:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
I remember reading that Sakurai hinted that the character with a surprisingly high win rate was Luigi. Don't know if that's true, though.

Would make sense anyway. On paper Luigi's a CQC monster balanced by bad mobility, traction and predictable (though long) recovery. In practice his combos and kill confirms from Dthrow were too much for most of the cast to handle.

Last edited:

Peppermint1201

Smash Journeyman
NNID
orangeguy1201
3DS FC
0361-7301-1534
I remember reading that Sakurai hinted that the character with a surprisingly high win rate was Luigi. Don't know if that's true, though.

Would make sense anyway. On paper Luigi's a CQC monster balanced by bad mobility, traction and predictable (though long) recovery. In practice his combos and kill confirms from Dthrow were too much for most of the cast to handle.
Luigi is still perfectly viable, not top 10 but still top 15/top 20 imo. His low-percent combos were very slightly neutered and he lost a kill confirm, that's really it. He still has tons of profit off grab, the second-best "combo breaker" nair in the game and all the other good qualities you mentioned. Despite losing dthrow tornado he's still pretty good at killing since he has Mario's backthrow and two smash attacks with practically no endlag.

Last edited:

Djent

Smash Champion
Yoshi loses vs. Sheik. One last-hit win doesn't negate the brutal 2-stocking that followed, or all of the other theory + results that suggest this is the case. That being said, investing in more than one character is just good practice for a player of ESAM's caliber, and I hope he continues to put in work with the dinosaur.

But anyway, ESAM might actually be the best player of 2 characters now lol. The only person who has achieved comparable results with Yoshi is DIO, who also takes games from top players without actually winning the set.

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
Yoshi loses vs. Sheik. One last-hit win doesn't negate the brutal 2-stocking that followed, or all of the other theory + results that suggest this is the case. That being said, investing in more than one character is just good practice for a player of ESAM's caliber, and I hope he continues to put in work with the dinosaur.

But anyway, ESAM might actually be the best player of 2 characters now lol. The only person who has achieved comparable results with Yoshi is DIO, who also takes games from top players without actually winning the set.
Since ESAM has strongner fundamentals, it's possible that his Samus is better than that really good Samus main whose name is escaping me -- making ESAM the best at three characters.

That'd be sad but funny.

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382

I doubt it was luigi since he was tremendously buffed in 1.0.4. I think the character he was referring to was bowser, as before patch 1.0.4, getting wins with him was insanely easy due to side b killing the opponent first.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Since ESAM has strongner fundamentals, it's possible that his Samus is better than that really good Samus main whose name is escaping me -- making ESAM the best at three characters.

That'd be sad but funny.
Is it Skeeter Jay you're thinking of?

Also what happened with ESAM's Yoshi? I'm not following Tipped Off right now.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I doubt it was luigi since he was tremendously buffed in 1.0.4. I think the character he was referring to was bowser, as before patch 1.0.4, getting wins with him was insanely easy due to side b killing the opponent first.
He didn't get any direct buffs, just indirect ones from the loss of vectoring.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
I wish Sonic players would stop making baseless claims about being disadvantaged against Fox.

Just because most matchups are free for Sonic doesn't mean that the few ones you actually have to use your brain in are automatically in the opponent's favor.

:059:
I play this matchup all the time against Snow and Feel Tension. It isn't a baseless claim. :4fox: kills :4sonic: far easier. He outframes :4sonic: in all ways as well as racks up damage quicker. He can chase :4sonic: down. I think the matchup is like 45-55 :4fox:'s favor. I didn't say the disadvantage is large.

:018:

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild
Just some thoughts about :4sheik: and :4pikachu: kind of based around Tipped Off 11.

People were mentioning a while back how players would eventually optimize punishing the ledge grab vulnerability on Sheik's upb, and this would hurt her performance as the game goes on. It's clear now that Sheiks have adapted to this simply by starting upb from above the ledge so they experience no vulnerability frames. ESAM is really good at punishing Sheik's vulnerability when she's forced to upb from below the ledge, but Vinnie and ZeRo simply aren't doing that.

After the shieldstun patch, it was speculated that Pikachu had crossed the line between unsafe on shield to safe on shield. However, this clearly isn't the case. Fair and upb are still very unsafe on shield. Vinnie and ZeRo were consistently able to ftilt when ESAM quick attacked their shields, and Sheik's ftilt is only a frame 12 OoS option. Fair was still getting punished on shield unless spaced properly. Fsmash seemed safer, but I feel that it doesn't greatly affect Pikachu's overall game plan. While it was speculated that Pikachu was a big winner from this patch, I feel not much has really changed regarding his viability.

Illuminose

Smash Ace
um, fair is definitely safe on shield...you need to space, but that should be a given, and there's a lot of leniency. dair is also very safe on shield.

Knife8193

Smash Journeyman
NNID
omar8193

I disagree (about the second paragraph, Yoshi def loses to Sheik lol). I'm not even a Yoshi main and I can tell Esam's Yoshi is not fully there. He keeps spamming Up smash on shield and throws out random nairs. He's not bad of course, a player like Esam can carry most characters on fundamentals alone.

As for best Yoshi player, I think SU | The Wall could be up there. At a recent TX tournament, he won 1st out of 128 beating names like Karna, Trela, and Denti. MJG also attended this tournament, if that helps you gauge the skill level of this tournament.

http://smashunited.challonge.com/SUBSmash4

(Vids not uploaded yet as it happened yesterday, but some may have watched the event on Smashunited's stream)

Last edited:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Pretty sure the quote was from around Jan-Feb, which was after 1.0.4.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I have a lot of experience against Yoshi, and have tried the opposing side of several Yoshi matchups.

While Ness works best for me personally, it seems pretty obvious to me that Sheik is Yoshi's worst matchup; I can get just about as good results with (amateur) Sheik as my (less-amateur) Ness.

I've always said that if Sheik were to get huge nerfs, Yoshi would probably be the single biggest winner in isolation.

Edit: Yoshi does however join a elite group of "characters who have taken tournament games off of Zero."

Last edited:

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Diddy is Yoshi's worst matchup.
Sheik is pretty bad too but a game without Sheik would still be a harsh meta for yoshi (ZSS has a reasonable advantage as well).

Djent

Smash Champion
There was less :4pikachu: in ESAM's matches vs. Zero than I had hoped for, but even that by itself is kind of telling. I can't justify putting this MU in the "even" bin along with Sonic (who all top-level Sheiks have struggled with at some point) or even Diddy/MK (who are both contentious picks that may or may not pan out).

Now even if fair/dair can be safe on shield, there's the question of whether it's feasible for Pikachu to maintain the distance from which they will be. And if the Sheik's close-range spacing game is truly on-point (which is a noticeable difference between Zero and Vinnie, btw), it seems like the answer to that question is often "no."

Jams. Jams. It's looking like the hitstun changes don't matter that much to Pika's viability, but that doesn't mean that the patch doesn't make a big difference. Pika's previous worst MU is no longer obviously a bad one. While it's still strongly advisable for Pika mains to carry a secondary, IMO it's no longer necessary for them to do so.

Knife8193 Knife8193 Those TX results are also interesting to me because I'm guessing that Trela vs. MJG was Ryu vs. Villager. So now two of this game's top level characters seem to be consistently struggling in the Villager MU (ZSS and Ryu). This bodes well for slingshot-wielding short people, as they need good top-level MUs to offset their arguable disadvantages vs. Sheik and Rosa.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
If you've ever watched Ranai vs 9B it's basically just a slaughter in favour of villager.
I'm not willing to put that down to skill differential either because 9B is extremely good.

Knife8193

Smash Journeyman
NNID
omar8193
Knife8193 Knife8193 Those TX results are also interesting to me because I'm guessing that Trela vs. MJG was Ryu vs. Villager. So now two of this game's top level characters seem to be consistently struggling in the Villager MU (ZSS and Ryu). This bodes well for slingshot-wielding short people, as they need good top-level MUs to offset their arguable disadvantages vs. Sheik and Rosa.
Yup, it was Ryu vs Villager. I don't remember him commenting on the MU personally, but it does seem like zoning characters do have tools to deal with Ryu as well as gimps being a factor. Ryu is still ridiculous when he does get in however. I'll remember to link the video here when it's up.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
@Emblem Lord While it may seem pretty dumb that DK has a safe + intangible poke that also sets up some pretty nasty things, you have to realize two things. First, the setup potential of the move is tied to a 40% random chance to trip. This means most of the time it doesn't actually lead into anything. Secondly, the mechanics of the game stop Dtilt from tripping at the %'s followups would actually start KO'ing. This means he doesn't actually have KO confirms off of it (unless you trip them at the very edge and Punch, but even then you'd have to hit Dtilt point blank or they slide too far away). The only practical KO confirms off of Dtilt are on jank stages like Halberd (trip to Cargo Utoss Uair) or near walkoffs.

Also his arm being intangible frame one doesn't mean anything because he doesn't actually extend his arm forward until frame 7 anyway (it starts with his arm extended behind him).

So basically, DK's Dtilt being an invincible safe on block poke and reliable KO confirm is untrue. It is a really good move, but not the overpowered touch of death you make it out to be.
At low percents dtilt is punishable on hit if it doesn't trip. In fact a lot of his weaker moves are punishable on hit at lower percents.

I'm on the fence as to whether he needs to be nerfed or not. He loses to a lot of the top tiers at a high level, but ding dong is a massive rage-inducer and is frustrating to lose to.

I'd much rather they nerf ding dong than remove his combo game. His grab game is super deep, it's nearly as complex as some character's entire metas.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Yeah Diddy and ZSS are definitely Yoshi's more difficult match ups. More so Diddy since he can quite honestly throw out fair and counter most of Yoshi's options.
Sheik still ****s Yoshi too of course.

Last edited:

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
I swear to god, ScAtt makes Leaf Shield look like the best projectile in the game. Grats to him for making Top 4 as solo Mega. I don't really know what he's supposed to do against Sheik though.

Megamang

Smash Lord
If anyone has a link, even a 3 hour twitch thing i need to sort thru, for esam v zero, id love it. Because i wanna see how fair was being punished. Ive been practicing various timings for it, and it seems totally safe. It does minimal shield damage, so you end up kinda standing at a close distance while they drop shield. Here, shieks ftilt can win because it beats everything, but i dont think fair should be directly punished.

This all applies to fair used such that the last hit lands and then autocancels. It can also be used late to hit only with the first few hits. This allows for many solid setups and mixups, but sacrifices some safety. If that's what was getting punished, i understand more. But a well placed fair should be positive on shield drop, or just -3 if a fastfall was used with the fair, it definitely shouldnt be getting ftilted.

v-Eos

Smash Rookie
I swear to god, ScAtt makes Leaf Shield look like the best projectile in the game. Grats to him for making Top 4 as solo Mega. I don't really know what he's supposed to do against Sheik though.
Megaman has legit potential. Character is so freaking weird and I love it.

Peppermint1201

Smash Journeyman
NNID
orangeguy1201
3DS FC
0361-7301-1534
If anyone has a link, even a 3 hour twitch thing i need to sort thru, for esam v zero, id love it. Because i wanna see how fair was being punished. Ive been practicing various timings for it, and it seems totally safe. It does minimal shield damage, so you end up kinda standing at a close distance while they drop shield. Here, shieks ftilt can win because it beats everything, but i dont think fair should be directly punished.

This all applies to fair used such that the last hit lands and then autocancels. It can also be used late to hit only with the first few hits. This allows for many solid setups and mixups, but sacrifices some safety. If that's what was getting punished, i understand more. But a well placed fair should be positive on shield drop, or just -3 if a fastfall was used with the fair, it definitely shouldnt be getting ftilted.
It should be in SmashStudios' Past Broadcasts.

wpwood

Smash Apprentice
Sorry I tried making this it's own thread Thinkaman Thinkaman . I figure this is the best place to put it then out of the 3 threads you suggested to me.

Hi smashers. I am hoping that many of you will read this for me and tell me what you think of it. All feed back is welcome and I want to hear everyone's opinion. But please read in detail what I am saying, mostly towards the end (That doesn't mean skip the beginning, otherwise you won't understand why I am saying this), that way you can give a detailed and productive response and not just assume after reading one sentence. If you disagree with what I am saying in anyway please tell me why and do not give me a simple answer that I could prove wrong with something that I have already written down. I want to know your opinion that way I can better my paper and make a stronger, more well informed argument.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zEFQw0cy9im-PR07s8D-NoCXD4H5f3DiXjpTUY0obc0/edit?usp=sharing

Also if you would be so kind, share this with all your friends that way we can hear more peoples' thoughts on the matter. All opinions matter in this and we should get all smashers to think about this.This is for the community and I think everyone in it should take a look at what I have to say.

Thank you to @KuroganeHammer for all the frame data, to @Ffamran for giving me the info for Falco's reflector, and to @BJN39for the detailed frame data guide on Palutena.

Thank you all for your time and happy smashing.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Sorry I tried making this it's own thread Thinkaman Thinkaman . I figure this is the best place to put it then out of the 3 threads you suggested to me.

Hi smashers. I am hoping that many of you will read this for me and tell me what you think of it. All feed back is welcome and I want to hear everyone's opinion. But please read in detail what I am saying, mostly towards the end (That doesn't mean skip the beginning, otherwise you won't understand why I am saying this), that way you can give a detailed and productive response and not just assume after reading one sentence. If you disagree with what I am saying in anyway please tell me why and do not give me a simple answer that I could prove wrong with something that I have already written down. I want to know your opinion that way I can better my paper and make a stronger, more well informed argument.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zEFQw0cy9im-PR07s8D-NoCXD4H5f3DiXjpTUY0obc0/edit?usp=sharing

Also if you would be so kind, share this with all your friends that way we can hear more peoples' thoughts on the matter. All opinions matter in this and we should get all smashers to think about this.This is for the community and I think everyone in it should take a look at what I have to say.

Thank you to @KuroganeHammer for all the frame data, to @Ffamran for giving me the info for Falco's reflector, and to @BJN39for the detailed frame data guide on Palutena.

I'll support Paluetena using customs right after Miis stop being "effectively banned"

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
DunnoBro DunnoBro Is there anything to MVD counter picking Mega Man with Duck Hunt? Does DHD have a better MM MU than Diddy, or is it purely a comfort pick?
I dunno, I like the matchup. Frisbee/fair beat pellets so DHD wins neutral. He's also one of the easier chars to snipe with reverse shots but MVD doesn't seem to really utilize those.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Well here's a question for everyone.

Do you think mega man would be solo viable if shiek didn't exist? And, how much matchup inexperience is ScAtt currently riding on?

I personally don't believe mega man will make it out of mid tier territory even if sheik gets nerfed (unless he gets buffed). The character can do amazing things when he has the opponent in mid range... but completely falls apart in CQC. The character just wasn't built for getting opponents out of his face.

Sheik, Yoshi, and Mario can jump over pellets with their awesome air speeds and just have their way with him. Their nairs also just eat pellets like candy. Other opponents like olimar and pacman ignore his mid range game with superior projectiles and force him to approach...something very foreign to his character functionality.

If mega man was given a stronger F-air with a better autocancel and more reliable ways to kill he would be more than qualified to be a high tier character. But as it stands, he is the perfect definition of a mid tier.

As for ScAtt, he is a phenomenal player and I'm upset that he isn't more widely known. Mega man players are very fortunate to have him as a rep, but I fear that as more people begin to learn the mega man matchup, ScAtt will have a much harder time down the road. For example, MVD gave up so many opportunities to punish mega man during the last round and ended up getting flustered half way through the match. We saw his Mario destroy ScAtt the first time, but the second time he failed to mix it up and got downloaded rather quickly.

Edit: then again, it's not like MVD is a Mario main to begin with.
http://youtu.be/rr6NBmYHGj0
I think this is a more accurate representation of the matchup.

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
It was Jem’s turn to cry. His face was streaked with angry tears as we made our way through the cheerful crowd. “It ain’t right,” he muttered, all the way to the corner of the square where we found Atticus waiting. Atticus was standing under the street light looking as though nothing had happened: his vest was buttoned, his collar and tie were neatly in place, his watch-chain glistened, he was his impassive self again.

“It ain’t right, Atticus,” said Jem.

What could he say?

He couldn't explain this to anyone, much less a boy. A boy who was barely twelve--no, already thirteen. A boy who had counted on his single father for many things, but none more so than the truth.

Was he supposed to say the truth? That Tom Robinson was innocent, that he successfully proved it beyond a shadow of a doubt, that he had held this fact two-inches from the face of every citizen of Maycomb, that none of that mattered because Tom was a Negro? That sometimes people just decided that Negros had to die, because well that's just the way the world works--the world they knew, the world they called home?

Thirteen. He couldn't bear that weight, it was unfair even for a grown man. He still had that fire in him, not yet smothered by the pressure of the world.

He'd be upset. He'd yell at his teacher. He'd get into fights at school. When he got older he'd write articles to send to the paper, and get into arguments with distinguished men in Mobile and Oxford. And none of it would matter, because well that's just the way the world works.

And maybe if there were a dozen Jems and a thousand Scouts, their children's future would be different. But that wasn't reality, or at least not Maycomb. They would spend a future feeling alone, and impatient. They would endure a lifetime of frustration, facing a world that would never listen. They would have to live in a world that sometimes, for no reason at all, kills mockingbirds.

What could he possibly say?

“No son, it’s not right.”

We walked home.

--------------------------------------------------

Thus, Palutena is not allowed to use customs.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
No character is really solo-viable if sheik didn't exist. She's very rarely a characters absolute worst MU among top tiers and is usually doable, so the idea of characters viability hinging on her existence seems odd to me.

ZSS, and Rosalina are far more gatekeeper status than sheik. But in general at this point, characters are non-solo viable because there's a bunch of characters they can't deal with and it's because they're just inherently bad.

Last edited:

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227

Palutena has the best aerial acceleration in the game at 0.1. You said it was 1/10th of Mario's. Mario's is 0.07. It is a lot higher than his, not 1/10th of it.

Appledees

Smash Apprentice
Mario and Shiek are pretty much the only characters that basically invalidate Megaman honestly. Every other matchup he can handle fine due to his tool set being still solid. If they didn't exist or be as strong as they are Megaman would probably have better chances to be solo viable.

speaking of his matchups, I remember Scatt saying Sonic loses to Megaman and I really don't see how. Its even at best honestly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom