• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Censorship

Mahone

Smash Champion
I was trying to rewatch some NEC 13 videos when I was amazed to find this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB8INoDLYX8

For those of you who have been living under a rock, this is the set where unknown paused the game to go "deal" with inui for trashtalking reallly loudly.

Its not really important what happened and I don't want to bring that back up, but what bothers me is that vgbootcamp took it upon themselves to completely censor the whole ordeal.

They took down the stream archives of NEC immediately and now they have removed the audio and edited the uploaded video so that it looks like nothing happened.

This is a beyond terrible response to the situation.

When bad things happen, you don't just pretend they didn't happen and erase all traces of them, you learn from them and leave them unchanged as an example for the future.

Am i just being crazy? The answer is no, but i'd like to know what you guys think.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Everyone here in the community understands what happened, knows what happened, and has all of the information necessary to address the issue. Leaving the incident available for public viewing doesn't help us in any way, and only makes us look worse to outside viewers. Unknown has already been punished for his actions (banned from APEX), what would this help to resolve?
I agree with what VGBC did and I'm glad they did it.

EDIT: RFrizzle you're no longer my student.

RFrizzle

Smash Ace
Yeah VGBootCamp really goofed on this one. There is no reason we can't be allowed to here what Inui said and it can only serve to help us outsiders understand the situation better.
SB I like you alot

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Everyone here in the community understands what happened, knows what happened, and has all of the information necessary to address the issue. Leaving the incident available for public viewing doesn't help us in any way, and only makes us look worse to outside viewers. Unknown has already been punished for his actions (banned from APEX), what would this help to resolve?
It would help so that future members of the community knows what happened and know just what kind of person Unknown is. Pretending it didn't happen never helps. And I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few members of the community who aren't yet aware of the incident. Not logs onto the forums every week.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Well on one hand you make it seem like some. 1984 **** and I agree we shouldn't cover it up and ignore what happened.

However, I personally feel they handled this really well. Anyone else would have used this to build it up and create a scene, whenever something dumb happens the news play it over and over for entertainment not to educate people. Don't want to compare this to newtown but it still pisses me off how they interviewed the children and played the scene of the cops over and over again to sensationalize. If they had kept the audio I and many others would have just watched it for the drama to be entertained rather than create a discussion.

If people were more mature, they'd deserve the audio but people aren't and we have t ignored the issue either. We had our discussion and the reason the audio was taken was explained. There'd be no sense in reviving it.

:phone:

Mahone

Smash Champion

EDIT: RFrizzle you're no longer my student.
Not everyone knows what happened. How can you say everyone has all of the information necessary to address this? I still don't know what really happened cuz there are about a billion different stories from different people, but the video of it actually happening isn't going to lie and is one of the more necessary pieces of information of this situation.

Just because something makes us look bad is not a reason to censor it. What does editing it help resolve? (except for falsely advertising how perfect our community is)

Well on one hand you make it seem like some. 1984 **** and I agree we shouldn't cover it up and ignore what happened.

However, I personally feel they handled this really well. Anyone else would have used this to build it up and create a scene, whenever something dumb happens the news play it over and over for entertainment not to educate people. Don't want to compare this to newtown but it still pisses me off how they interviewed the children and played the scene of the cops over and over again to sensationalize. If they had kept the audio I and many others would have just watched it for the drama to be entertained rather than create a discussion.

If people were more mature, they'd deserve the audio but people aren't and we have t ignored the issue either. We had our discussion and the reason the audio was taken was explained. There'd be no sense in reviving it.

:phone:
The scary thing about this response is that YOU are deciding how mature people are and what they deserve

Proskater

Smash Apprentice
I was sitting immediately next to both of them. I saw/heard the entire ordeal.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
The original set should be uploaded.
Keep the edited one or whatever for people who just ant to see the set, but VGBC should upload the real one too for historical/recording/evidence purposes.

So some bad stuf happened. Fine, lets move on, but don't be fake about it and pretend it didn't happen.

odinNJ

Smash Lord
I 'know' what happened but I wanst actually watching, and frankly i dont care. all I need to know is that the community was reminded the importance of interacting in a pleasant manner especially undrer tourney stress.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
VGBootcamp's Sponsors do not want the incident up. therefore it is not going up. I've talked to calvin about it

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
ehhh...I dunno. I feel like everyone is going to claim things like we're ignoring an issue and then a majority are just going to turn around and listen to it for entertainment and make jokes. The only reason I don't really care is because people who saw it on stream said you can't hear anything until everyone in the room shuts up because unknown was yelling.

I really just want to hear what the commentators said at the time but honestly, the issue was already discussed in a mature manner with first hand accounts. Listening to it is just going to revive it without most of the people who made sensible comments on both sides present.

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
i'll say this

mah0ne is quite right(as he almost always is)

many of us dont know EXACTLY what happened, and the footage CAN'T lie to us about it

chenjesu

Smash Journeyman
I'm still steamed about the censorship of jackie's "smashers with hot sisters" thread.

D

Deleted member

I agree with you Mahone, but some things are bigger than any one person's ideals. I think this is one of those cases. There are probably several reasons that the video is the way it is, and you and I will likely never know what they are.

C.SDK

Smash Ace
There's really no need to censor/edit the video but I think it's been said that VG Bootcamp's sponsors wouldn't appreciate the raw video so they did what they had to do if they want to keep those sponsors.

At that point, it's understandable. Are the VODs of this still up? You can watch that to your heart's content. Or better yet, record it yourself and upload it on your channel.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Everyone here in the community understands what happened, knows what happened, and has all of the information necessary to address the issue.
What did really happen?
Maybe I overlooked it in the thread, but what exactly happened?
I don't agree with the dishonest "white lie" concept we're implementing with the censorship of the video. However, if what Ripple says about the sponsors is correct, it's entirely out of our's and VGBC's hands and there's no good *****ing. In future though, an issue in the community should not be covered up from the general population, that's not how you deal with problems.

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
I don't agree with the dishonest "white lie" concept we're implementing with the censorship of the video. However, if what Ripple says about the sponsors is correct, it's entirely out of our's and VGBC's hands and there's no good *****ing. In future though, an issue in the community should not be covered up from the general population, that's not how you deal with problems.
The thing about a community is that you have to have your best foot forward as often as possible. The issue happened, has been addressed, let it die. Cover up? I understand for the sake of the sponsors as well as for the sake of the "smash brand" in general. Did the NBA promote the Pistons/Pacers fight? No, they handed down punishment quickly. It was on every channel repeatedly, but we don't have that type of visibility for it to be a concern.

Jaxel, do you still have the Noel/Smooth Viper altercation on your channel? I know people ripped the stream immediately, but not sure if the actual incident is still on your channel.

Anyway, it happened, move on. Dwelling does nothing. Do the punishments given out directly affect you? No. However, if an altercation like this happens again, I know many TOs are implementing rules for situations like this. That's the part that isn't being held back from the community and the more important part.

Lovage

Smash Hero
lol unknown was a plant from the beginning

smash BR staged the whole thing to generate hype for the apex 2012 livestream

if u can't see this you are a pawn

WAKE UP SHEEPLE

Battlecow

Play to Win
I think the censorship of Jackie proves that Fly Amanita has a hot sister. Possibly with the same hair as him.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
lol unknown was a plant from the beginning

smash BR staged the whole thing to generate hype for the apex 2012 livestream

if u can't see this you are a pawn

WAKE UP SHEEPLE
Uknown took one for the team....last year. Time Travel. History Channel. Aliens.

Bones0

Smash Legend
VGbootcamp, NEC, and all of the associated sponsors are well within their rights to censor the content they are producing for this community (free of charge for anyone not there, I might add). If I were running a stream or hosting a tournament series or sponsoring a tournament, I'd be very upset to find out that my label was being associated with unprofessional behavior. Do I wish I could see everything that happened? Obviously. But getting upset at this censorship is like being upset with a television network for blurring a nip-slip.

Proskater

Smash Apprentice
I was sitting directly behind Ryan and Jason when this happened.
Inui was on Ryan's immediate left being an obnoxious troll. (Too close for someone to be loudly talking during a tournament match; let alone heckling.)
Inui spewed nonsensical BS for a while, and Ryan eventually expressed some discomfort.
Inui kept heckling Ryan. Ryan told him to "Stop", then eventually to "Shut the f*** up".
Inui stopped for a short period of time, then this happened -
Ryan loses a stock, and gets mad.

Inui - *Sarcastic tone* "OH MAN COMPETETIVE GAMING, BIG DEAL"!!
(A really effective troll statement, I must say. I have no respect for someone who treats the game/it's players this way, though.)

Ryan stands up, yells "I'm going to f****** kill you" (His words obviously inflated by rage), grabs Inui by the throat with his left hand, and pushes/holds him back in his chair with his right fist cocked back. He shows clear self restraint from this point, not punching Inui. This is quickly broken up, and Ryan continues playing.
Inui does not stop heckling Ryan. At this point I ask him why he is still talking, and tell him to walk away. I express that nobody in the area thinks that he's funny, and that he is single handedly ruining an already below average quality tournament. He looks at me with no words, just an unusual expression of self control. Like he was on a mission, and nobody could get in his way. It seemed like he wanted to say something, but he couldn't. Something was holding him back. A few other people express their feelings towards him, and he ends up walking away shortly thereafter; before the set ends. After this, attack number two happened near the main entrance to the room.

Attack # 2 will have to be explained by someone else; I only saw the first one.

Edit: Apparently Inui had been intentionally trolling Ryan at the last 4 tournaments that they were both at.

Lovage

Smash Hero
Inui - *Sarcastic tone* "OH MAN COMPETETIVE GAMING, BIG DEAL"!!
(A really effective troll statement, I must say. I have no respect for someone who treats the game/it's players this way, though.)
LMFAO i agree. i had no idea inui was a sick troll, i always assumed he was just an annoying *** scabb

Jaxel

Behind the Curtain...
Premium
Jaxel, do you still have the Noel/Smooth Viper altercation on your channel? I know people ripped the stream immediately, but not sure if the actual incident is still on your channel.
It is not... but not because of censorship. Even though its MY video; other people have uploaded it to their youtube. And one of those people, didn't want ME stealing traffic for MY video, reported the video as "promoting violence" and youtube took it down and infracted me.

Top Bottom