• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Casual Melee

Vts

Smash Champion
It's pretty obvious Melee is an amazing competitive fighter. But when you have some friends over who aren't particularly as, well, what's the word, "obsessed" as you, do you ever feel you're at an unfair advantage? Even if I turn items on and pick a weird stage, I can't get out of the habit of lcanceling aerials, wavedashing etc. It just always seems like you are at an unfair advantage, while in brawl, you can play with sucky people and it'll be pretty even because of some random crap.

So my question is, can you play Melee with people that suck, and have fun at the same time?
I pick my characters I never play with and enjoy screwing around with them or picking who they want me to play and sandbag by trying new stuff that 90% of the time gets me killed so I learn what not to do in tournaments.

Brainjack

Smash Journeyman
i play these with my friends sometimes

1. ban moves

2. ban techniques

3. only allow 1 move

4. try to jv 5

5. no rules but just only just 1 move to your liking

6. sandbaggzzzzzzzzz -_-

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
one time we banned running...so we had to either roll , wd, or walk everywhere...interesting

another time we banned jumping

The Fail Tracer

The Universal Cosmic Tracer
3DS FC
2337-5641-4371
I love both casual and competitive Melee. I tend to play casual Melee much more, because it brings back really good memories of when I first got the game. I didn't know about advanced techs back then. :p

So, yeah, I can play n00bs and still have fun. But I can still own with Roy, Mewtwo, etc.

Binx

Smash Master
Melee is boring when you aren't playing to win, that being said its boring to play casually against people who aren't nearly as good as you, or at least try to use advanced techs.

My favorite thing on earth though is game crazy tournaments haha. So much ****.

Geist

Smash Master
I play casual melee with my cousins. They're all younger than 12 years old. I don't feel like I have an unfair advantage at all. It's a completely fair advantage.

First, I earned becoming as good as I am. For example, if I took the time to learn how to Lcancel, then I should be able to use it when I can.
Second, I have competitive restraint. I know they're not close to how good I am, but it's still fun to play with them. Just because I Lcanceled Falcon's Dair doesn't mean I have to lead it into a bunch of uairs. Instead I might launch myself across the stage with a falcon punch towards someone else, or just run off in another direction.
For another reason, I can also teach them a few tricks that would help make them better. Just teach them the small easy stuff like shield grabbing and shine-cancelling.

in all honesty, casual melee>cometitive brawl anyways.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Well isn't it fun to beat the crap out of scrubs in Melee?, is it? well for me it is?

Though I will say, I really don't like to waste my time doing so unless it happens to be a worthy opponent, otherwise I won't resist not being the crap out of them.

battousai555

Smash Ace
i think you still have fun because everyone is atleast a slight challenge in some way or some how
Indeed. Though I do overwhelm noobs with tech-skill, I can't always get inside of their heads and **** them because they move awkwardly and don't respond well to mind games. ****, that was a John...

Wolfeye

Smash Apprentice
When playing against people who aren't really any good I usually add computers and set up teams to help balance it out.
Also sometimes play banned stages and characters I don't normally use.
Typically keep items off though.

mzink*

Smash Ace
Some of my friends just sort of push buttons as fast as they can, when I play with them I mainly just fool around. Its still fun, and I usually still win all the time, but they don't mind lol. When they do get tired of it they just steal my controller and beat me with pillows and then hold me down while they torture my character lol.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
the first couple of times i **** around....

then if i lose more than 2 stocks in a match i try to jv 5 them :)

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
Lol. Once they get cocky, you try not only to beat them, but to embarrass them.

Binx

Smash Master
The game isn't even fun vs people who don't know what they are doing unless they think they are good or are the kind of person who keeps trying after getting wrecked.

I love going to GC tournaments and just doing 0 to death combos crazy easy, it's so fun being able to own people at those places, they are like woah your fast, woah your smart, how come you can recover and I can't lol. But its even more fun for me to play people who are better than I am.

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
When me and my friend were owning in an FFA one of the noobs said "These guys have no lives." Tell me that doesn't make you want to embarrass someone.

Bailey

Smash Hero
It's more fun when you play against someone better/equal to you then if you play against someone who uses 3 moves and they are all B moves lol.

But at the same time I have a lot of fun playing random bad kids and showing them random things in a match like Link's Super Jump or Samus' Extender

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
Worst part is that the same guy beat me one time, and then refused to play me again, claiming to be the "champ." I'll have my revenge...

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
You have to keep your nerves, even in a match against someone far less skilled than you. That's how I lost friends were watching, I could feel the nervousness, and he beat me.

Geist

Smash Master
Lol. Once they get cocky, you try not only to beat them, but to embarrass them.
:D
I usually let them win a match on purpose.
Depending on how cocky they react afterwards decides how hard I **** them in the next match. >:]

Then they shush, and we play bob-omb matches for the rest of the day.

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
And, if you can, destroy the with their own main. It's like taking their soul.

Top Bottom