• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Carrot Me Bro!: The Bowser Match-up Topic

Netherfall

Smash Cadet
NNID
bambamboombop
3DS FC
1822-1445-5706
The only way I've ever been able to get out of it is to vector away from him at an angle (around 40-45 seems to work, although going higher can also help). This works I'd say around 80-90% of the time, but not without taking 35-40% unless the Mario player sucks at which point you can get out with only 15%.

Raiden mk-II

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4313-2377-1601
That's my only hope...to vector out of that combo. Then the Mario player would follow it up with some Up Airs and finish with an Up B.

I love the Smash games, but it's the most unbalanced fighting game I've played, and it took until Smash 4 for them to actually create balance patches.

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
Anyone know how to deal with annoying Mario players who abuse the D-throw, Utilt, Utilt, Utilt cheese combo? It's annoying because Bowser is a big target to begin with, and this is something that v1.0.4 should have addressed, since Mario can do this to everyone. I go from 0% to 70% in one cheese combo. This and dealing with Mario players who abuse the lag canceling Mario has.
That's the worse case scenario. You basically need to angle away from Mario and hope Mario doesn't predict where you're vectoring. Try to save your double jump, if possible, since it can help you dodge the attack that comes out after a failed follow-up.

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
I got sent to a full page ad right after I clicked reply. This double post happened shortly after I hit back. Please delete this post.

Last edited:

Netherfall

Smash Cadet
NNID
bambamboombop
3DS FC
1822-1445-5706
Yeah the patch is.. interesting to say the least, but that's an entirely different matter. I'm sure there's a better way to get out of it, but I haven't tested anything as I don't know any solid Mario players.

Raiden mk-II

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4313-2377-1601
I'll chalk this one up to experience. I'll just have to eat the cheese from Mario and just vector away from his followups.

Hitman JT

The Infinite One
NNID
JT.Hitman
3DS FC
1435-5432-6684
I can't believe I'm still having so much trouble with the King DDD matchup. It's the one matchup I can't figure out how to deal with. I've stated all I have already but it comes down to how much more advantageous his moveset is in this MU. Bowser's dash is too slow on startup to deal with the constant repositioning for this one fight. Edge aerial spot dodges against King DDD is an absolute nightmare!

Is it a horrible MU or is it just me with this problem??

Can anyone give me some tips at all? I'm so tired of working on this MU tbh...
F-air is your best friend in this match-up. Chase and harass him when he starts floating around at the speed of sound; in addition to the awesome hitbox, it's faster than all of his aerials except for his n-air which is still out-ranged by your f-air. Don't be afraid to chase him offstage with it too; if you're lucky you can catch him when he's readying a Gordo and smack it back at him for massive damage. Make use of your own n-air too since he's too fat to avoid it. On the ground he'll out-range you with his jab and his f-tilt. You can punish him after the 2nd jab before he starts twirling his hammer, and you can run in and grab him after his ftilt if you're fast enough.

I'm not convinced that this match-up is a blowout in D3's favor. Maybe I just need to play a super godlike one, but so far it doesn't seem as bad as everyone says it is.

EarthenPillar

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4399-1441-9789
It's really not just you. The DDD matchup is, imo, as up-hill as Rosalina. You cannot trade, and you cannot zone him. You basically have to play tennis just to create significant openings.....
Thanks a lot for the consensus! I thought it was just my playstyle or something. I do hope we can eventually figure a solid way to deal with this MU!

Anyone know how to deal with annoying Mario players who abuse the D-throw, Utilt, Utilt, Utilt cheese combo? It's annoying because Bowser is a big target to begin with, and this is something that v1.0.4 should have addressed, since Mario can do this to everyone. I go from 0% to 70% in one cheese combo. This and dealing with Mario players who abuse the lag canceling Mario has.
I've always been DI-ing those. It's hard not to get downthrowed then combo-ed into for bowser tho. At least it's not as a bad time avoiding the Dthrow with Mario than ZSS. Just make sure to tilt into the direction you're alrady drifting towards. It's 30% or so that way and he can't do Up-tilt again at higher %. Mario should be doing Dthrow -> Uair at mid %, after the first Uair u can always air dodge.

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
Luigi is a monster. I just met a Luigi, "Marvin", that is able to follow my vectoring no matter what and could carry me off-stage from 0 - 87%. The guy just pops you into the air with a d throw or a cyclone punish off of any overcommitment and starts following you through the air like a hound. Once you're off stage, this Luigi I fought has a guaranteed edge guard by placing the fireballs in the path of your descent. It's a frame trap because Luigi can act so fast out of his fireballs that he can follow his fireballs out and spike you whether you get hit or air dodge. Swiping the fireballs out of the way only leads to a Luigi fair or bair and you're back to square 1. On the ground, if you manage to get there, the guy has an incredible fireball -> dash grab combo that reminds me of ZZS and her laser -> dash grab. If you try to punch the fireballs, you actually suffer more down time than if you had just taken the fireball head on. This makes things incredibly tricky because one of the few boons we have is that we ignore Luigi's fireballs with Tough Guy up till around 30-40%, and if a hit box just happens to clash, we're wide open when we should have ate through the attack. If you can bait Luigi to cyclone and you block the entire attack, he's open to be punished by your entire toolset of god-slaying attacks, but that can be a task when you need to fight your instinct to up-b on reaction (goddamnit Brawl). If you make any big mistake (a whiffed dair, bomb, or fortress), you better clench your butt cheeks, because Luigi will Shoryuken and kill at 70-80%. Luigi's recovery is pretty amazing, and it gets too risky to try and walk-off bair his up b recovery. If you can smack Luigi far enough off stage, I found that it's far more reliable to try and intercept his green missile. Either smack him before he uses the green missile or take it like a champ to gimp it.

Phew, and so I'm done posting my thoughts. Now I won't have to worry about forgetting before someone else asks about the match up. I would like input from anyone that has faced a god-like Luigi. After dozens of losses, I finally started to have a victory here and there. All in all, only 4 legit victories out of the some 30 matches. I had a few more victories, but those were SDs. I honestly think that Luigi is a difficult match, but I might just be reeling from tilt or something because this guy ripped my anus a new one that badly. You guys are my safety blanket here.

Note on Klaw
Oh, and it appears that 5% in the enemy's favor allows them to have complete control over the aerial Klaw distance and direction. I literally grabbed someone while 5% more damaged and they carried me from 40% of final destination all the way off the stage. Just note that in case you're testing the limits of when you can aerial Klaw safely. Curiously, this same difference in percent was not enough to fully influence the grounded Klaw. I don't know if this is a glitch or what. Needs testing.​

Last edited:

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
I welcome 0 to whatever % combos. It means I can kill them sooner, that much quicker. Rage mechanic ftw.
I can get away from Mario before taking 40% damage. I can get away from most Luigis before taking 40% damage. What I meant by this guy following my vectoring meant exactly that. The player was a god. I was not talking about Luigi's intrinsic strengths until I began talking about his fireball -> dair, fireball -> dash grab, and cyclone. To give you an idea of how god-like this guy is, he could perfectly aim a green missile from across the stage just to chase me, and I'd be forced to air dodge or get hit (yes, he could read my fast fall). I had to type out all of my thoughts here so I wouldn't forget.

Last edited:

B!squick

Smash Master
I can get away from Mario before taking 40% damage. I can get away from most Luigis before taking 40% damage. What I meant by this guy following my vectoring meant exactly that. The player was a god. I was not talking about Luigi's intrinsic strengths until I began talking about his fireball -> dair, fireball -> dash grab, and cyclone. To give you an idea of how god-like this guy is, he could perfectly aim a green missile from across the stage just to chase me, and I'd be forced to air dodge or get hit (yes, he could read my fast fall). I had to type out all of my thoughts here so I wouldn't forget.
That wasn't aimed at you, by the way. I was just making a general statement.

EarthenPillar

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4399-1441-9789
Heya guys, if anyone wants to help me work on Bowser Mirror match that would be great! I don't know this MU well enough in play, and have only seen too few Bowsers on For Glory and local. If any of you are interested to get this going and worth testing to see if our ping works out, give me a pm.

Netherfall

Smash Cadet
NNID
bambamboombop
3DS FC
1822-1445-5706
Heya guys, if anyone wants to help me work on Bowser Mirror match that would be great! I don't know this MU well enough in play, and have only seen too few Bowsers on For Glory and local. If any of you are interested to get this going and worth testing to see if our ping works out, give me a pm.
I won't be able to tonight, but I'd be down to over the weekend. Just let me know what time works best.

Fangblade

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3454-0350-2864
How does everyone feel about the Toon Link Matchup?

Fangblade

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3454-0350-2864
Would you say it's in Bowsers favor? We've just begun MU disscusions at the TL board, I personally think it's 40:60 in Bowsers favor. He's just too heavy and strong for us to kill in a reasonable time.

Raiden mk-II

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4313-2377-1601
I am discussing in the Yoshi board on how to deal with the matchup with our favorite Koopa King. The Yoshi players have mixed feelings about the matchup, with some stating it is an effortless matchup for Yoshi and others saying it is slightly in Bowser's favor.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
This thread needs to be used.

So the Shiek MU is absolutely awful. I've played decent Shieks before but finally got to play ZeRo on Saturday. Got 0-deathed and there was NOTHING I could do about it. Ftilt to fair, fair, fair, fair, bouncing fish--I saved my jump and tried to recover low--read with another bouncing fish. Dead.

We played a handful of games, and the result was almost always the same. Wasn't always a 0-death setup, as the second bouncing fish requires a read, but it was always very, very bad.

We either need to come up with a serious MU strategy or just go another character.

On the plus side, Diddy's really not that bad at all. Totally winnable.

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
This thread needs to be used.

So the Shiek MU is absolutely awful. I've played decent Shieks before but finally got to play ZeRo on Saturday. Got 0-deathed and there was NOTHING I could do about it. Ftilt to fair, fair, fair, fair, bouncing fish--I saved my jump and tried to recover low--read with another bouncing fish. Dead.

We played a handful of games, and the result was almost always the same. Wasn't always a 0-death setup, as the second bouncing fish requires a read, but it was always very, very bad.

We either need to come up with a serious MU strategy or just go another character.

On the plus side, Diddy's really not that bad at all. Totally winnable.
Yeah, Bowser's default recovery is too predictable for Sheik, so we get hit off-stage by bouncing fish very easily unless we decide to SD out of spite. All of our moves are unsafe. Being conditioned to shield is bad. My only success has been with stupid clutch jabs. I have not had a legit victory against great Sheiks either.

At the very least, you cannot keep respecting Sheik's space in this matchup. Like Diddy Kong, you do need to be close enough to pressure, because otherwise Sheik will pressure you from across the stage one-sidedly. You can't pre-emptively do anything, though, or you will pay dearly for failure to connect. If you see Sheik throw out needles, jump to approach a little, but don't use it as a sign to go ham. This is one of those matchups where our only hope is to keep Sheik at boxing range and just admit to losing ground if fairs get thrown out randomly. We can't win against the fair. If you're hit, you have to DI away from Sheik. Straight up if being ftilt (though you will need to time your jump/air dodge or eat the follow-up anyway) and to the sides if hit by fair. Never DI down unless you are getting jabbed (it'll let you shield). Obviously, you won't be able to break away till around 40+% and if you panic, you lose. After all of this, you need to think about the Sheik's goal. From ZeRo's own words, a Sheik will either go for pressure, dancing around their opponent to bait, or full-ham with dash attack/grab and bouncing fish. You can't do anything against Sheik's pressure outside of a lucky trade, and full-ham is normally seen only at the ledge and is the only time we should even consider our spot-dodge or rolls.

@ Zigsta Zigsta Did you happen to ask any Sheiks at the venue for an NNID share? I actually didn't get to go up against any before I had to leave.

Last edited:

B!squick

Smash Master
Can we UpB out of that nonsense? Probably wouldn't be a good option, but I might rather be helpless on stage for a moment than be fished.

Last edited:

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
Can we UpB out of that nonsense? Probably wouldn't be a good option, but I might being helpless on stage for a moment over being fished.
It's ballsy and might work off-stage if you're airdodge canceling into Sheik. Otherwise, expect retribution even if you hit your opponent.

B!squick

Smash Master
I mean, might as well get some damage in. They could potentially whiff the punish which could be the opening you need.

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
I mean, might as well get some damage in. They could potentially whiff the punish which could be the opening you need.
Even assuming they don't whiff the punish, a perfect fortress is 30+ percent. If we get even 20% off of that, it'll pay off since Sheik's attacks don't deal a lot of damage individually. It's not a bad idea given the very real chance of not contributing any damage in a stock. Worse case is she reaches the ground before us and sweet-spots an up smash or lands a vanish, killing us. As long as you can hit the ground and get your second jump back, there's a chance for survival.

Last edited:

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I didn't ask for any IDs but I have a few strong Sheiks added already. Just need time to play them. XD

mustbepbs

Smash Rookie
NNID
mustbpbs
Any tips for an aggressive Sonic? I can power shield and 50/50 fortress for days but he's simply too fast for Bowsers landing and move lag. Against a very aggressive Sonic, we're sunk. I came really close to beating him, but he's too damn fast. Especially one that spams dashes and homing.

Ranias

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ranias
3DS FC
1864-9368-1757
Any tips for an aggressive Sonic? I can power shield and 50/50 fortress for days but he's simply too fast for Bowsers landing and move lag. Against a very aggressive Sonic, we're sunk. I came really close to beating him, but he's too damn fast. Especially one that spams dashes and homing.
Fire Breath is kind of good against him if he spin dash spams.

Stay grounded and time Jabs, F-tilts, D-tilts, and Up Smashes really well.

And Up B out of shield if he ever Dash Attacks.

Last edited:

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
Sonic loses out to our jab pretty hard. He loses to our ftilt just outside of jab range extremely hard unless he gets the wind-back on his fsmash. If you see a spin dash, make sure you're ready to punch him and cancel the attack. You can proceed to jab 1, but don't jab 2 if they roll. You need to be prepared to spot dodge the homing attack or jump OoS for a punish. Do not be conditioned to preemptively shield. Sonic will dash grab mixup. Try giving some ground and doing a pivot grab/tilt if that happens, otherwise spot-dodge and judge their reaction. Sanic's dash grab is very precise and does not slide him far, so even inching back can have serious repercussions for him. Punching him is really the best option. Just imagine he's a projectile.

Always be prepared to fortress. Sanic can and will roll behind us while in boxing range. Sanic should not be freely dashing behind us for a pivot grab/tilt if you're punching him properly, but if that happens, be ready. Flamebreath is very situational. It depends on if Sanic is respecting your space too much and where on stage you are exerting pressure at the time. It's a solid option against a low recovery and to cover landing at a certain range.

I noticed on Saturday, at the Super Arcade tournament, that you can DI down and to the side (whichever side you're closest to) to escape his up smash. The Sanic player was completely shocked, and I was able to recover my wits first since I was hoping for a miracle like that in the first place. This needs testing for consistency and at what %.

Last edited:

B!squick

Smash Master
Well, my original goal with this topic has gone exactly nowhere. General match-up tips is all well and good but we haven't made any strides towards rating match-ups or pooling thoughts together into something easily readable. Not that we haven't got a lot in the way of information, there just hasn't been much or any collaboration of the information given and I don't know if that's because everyone agrees, no one knows enough to say differently, or no one really cares besides the few people actually posting.

SO! Let's do something easy. Something to get the juices following and maybe drum up some participation. What do you think are Bowser's worst match-ups and how would you rank them?

From what little I've played and seen I believe the top purveyors of nonsense are:

S - Rosa
A - Diddy, ZSS, Shiek, D3
B - DH, Sonic

Can't think of anyone else off the top of my head.

Last edited:

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
S - :4sheik:
A - :4zss: :4diddy: :4falcon: :4luigi:
B - :4duckhunt: :4charizard: :4samus: :4palutena::rosalina:

Starting from Tier A difficulty, we get 0% to death by good/great players or KOd ridiculously early off of small mistakes.
Tier B has characters that can wall us off or win trades easily with proper spacing, projectiles, and/or high priority attacks.
@ B!squick B!squick As great as RosaLuma may seem, I have never seen or experienced one that could wreck us as badly as the ones I've listed in Tier A, especially when you're trying not to challenge her in the air. If you know what moves to respect from Sanic, he can't KO us till 160+% and his setups for those attacks are telegraphed, though still require good timing on our end to deal with. Similar to DH, actually, since we win trades and clashes, but without the annoyance of a maze of hit boxes.

I feel like Little Mac should be on this list based off my criteria, but I'm just gonna give him an honorable mention here. It's a swingy matchup.

Last edited:

B!squick

Smash Master
You saw DarkMusician in that tournament. I don't think DM and MrEh actually played each other, but just from personal experience and what I was seeing, it looks like a pretty balls match-up. I'm willing to just defer to MrEh's judgment on that though. The thing that sets Rosa apart from, say, Diddy, to me, is that Diddy needs to set up his shenanigans. Rosa just has all the priority. I still have nightmares about that UAir... And Luma is just free damage for Rosa. Even if it dies, 13 seconds isn't that long and Rosa doesn't even need it to be a hassle.

Shocked at the Luigi mention though. Is there just a really good Luigi in your area or something? I can't think of anything he can do that a Jigglypuff couldn't do better. Pound is such a good move.

I actually thought about including Captain Falcon myself.

As for Sonic, I just find him really annoying and frustrating. You have to approach him because you don't want him to sit back and charge up B moves and while you're doing that he can either run away easily and start the process over again or take advantage of any holes in Bowser's approach of which there are many. And even if you get him off stage his recovery it pretty good and not as predicable as, say, Luigi for example. :p

I don't know. I haven't even touched Smash in about a month unfortunately, so feel free to take my opinions with all the salt you want.

Last edited:

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
I still have nightmares about that UAir... And Luma is just free damage for Rosa. Even if it dies, 13 seconds isn't that long and Rosa doesn't even need it to be a hassle.
Never challenge the UAir. Just fade away. You should wait for Rosa to separate from Luma, or just straight up flame Luma. If she dash grabs or dash attacks, it's a good sign you're doing something right.

JayDeth said:
Shocked at the Luigi mention though. Is there just a really good Luigi in your area or something? I can't think of anything he can do that a Jigglypuff couldn't do better. Pound is such a good move.
One of my best friends main Luigi and I've been teaching him everything MrCC has been doing, as well as what I can remember from my matches against Marvin. Luigi has a much better air to ground and ground to air game than Jiggs could ever hope to have, and it's thanks to the synergy he has between his cyclone, fireballs, dash grab, dthrow, fair, uair, dair, and insanely safe jab shield pressure. On top of that, Luigi's cyclone covers way more options than pound does both on the ground and in the air, at the top of FD and off-stage. Luigi's SHORYUKEN is less effective than Rest is at killing us at the expense of not making him a wet rag for a year, but it's still terrifying given all of Luigi's strengths. Luigi's recovery is not predictable thanks to how a low/high-altitude green missile and rising cyclone supplement his ridiculous vertical recovery. All of our low altitude off-stage options are stuffed by rising cyclone. This isn't to say that Jiggs isn't strong. Jiggs' bair alone has terrifying KB scaling and should keep her a threat through out the match, but her approach is much easier to deal with while we're grounded and DIing down and away during her fair or bair strings actually gives us a chance to escape.

Past Broadcast of yesterday's SmashStudios stream, featuring MrCC himself, doing matches against viewers and on For Glory.

Boss at S@X grand finals

JayDeth said:
As for Sonic, I just find him really annoying and frustrating. You have to approach him because you don't want him to sit back and charge up B moves and while you're doing that he can either run away easily and start the process over again or take advantage of any holes in Bowser's approach of which there are many.
You never have to approach Sanic unless you're a stock down or it's the last stock and he's got a percent lead. If he's charging up at max range, you have even more time to react than if he just ran at you from half way. If he runs away, that's free stage control (pick your spot and get ready to deal with the next approach). As for our approach, don't dash towards Sanic at close range unless you know you're gonna get something out of it, don't shield pre-emptively (wait for him to spin first), and aerial klaw or flame if he's showing too much respect. His options to punish our approach are limited drastically in this manner, and should never lead into a KO unless something goes horribly wrong for us. Yeah, it's gonna be hard to react to everything when you're new to the matchup, but your timing and punishes will get sharper before long because, unlike most of the characters we've listed, Sanic leaves decent openings after rushing in. Combine that with his atrocious air to ground options and we have what I think is a fairly even matchup. Oh, his recovery sometimes doesn't sweet spot, so you're free to make of that what you will. Generally, fire is free damage vs. his recovery. Low risk, low reward.

JayDeth said:
I don't know. I haven't even touched Smash in about a month unfortunately, so feel free to take my opinions with all the salt you want.
We're in it for the long haul. No rush. Like your response to Charizard's grab range (which isn't too different from ours, it's just that he tucks his body into his shield, making it seem longer than usual), it's just a lot of cross-referencing. Any differing experiences should be noted in case someone has time to test the outcomes of different decisions.

Last edited:

MrEh

Smash Hero
Against Sheik, we need to Ftilt when she's in the air, Jab when she's on the ground. That's all we can do.

But yeah, we're basically screwed.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
S - :4sheik:
A - :4zss: :4diddy: :4falcon: :4luigi:
B - :4duckhunt: :4charizard: :4samus: :4palutena::rosalina:

Starting from Tier A difficulty, we get 0% to death by good/great players or KOd ridiculously early off of small mistakes.
Tier B has characters that can wall us off or win trades easily with proper spacing, projectiles, and/or high priority attacks.
@ B!squick B!squick As great as RosaLuma may seem, I have never seen or experienced one that could wreck us as badly as the ones I've listed in Tier A, especially when you're trying not to challenge her in the air. If you know what moves to respect from Sanic, he can't KO us till 160+% and his setups for those attacks are telegraphed, though still require good timing on our end to deal with. Similar to DH, actually, since we win trades and clashes, but without the annoyance of a maze of hit boxes.

I feel like Little Mac should be on this list based off my criteria, but I'm just gonna give him an honorable mention here. It's a swingy matchup.
Diddy's definitely not that bad. I think it's just a -1 for us. Charizard feels fairly even to me, or we are +1. We def don't lose to him. Charizard lacks anything that screams "I can camp or combo Bowser for days."

Haven't played much against ZSS, Falcon, Luigi, DH, Samus, or Palutena. And I also haven't played Rosalina post-nerf-patch.

Melonfrog

Smash Apprentice
Had about 10 matches against an incredibly aggressive Jigglypuff, I won one and mostly got two stocked. How do I punish a Jiggly? They are always in the air so ground up B misses and all other moves are slow. I found the best move was Up Smash to hit Jiggly as she attacks, but again, it's slow.

Any help?

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
@ Zigsta Zigsta ZSS' air game is similar to Shiek vs. us. I learned that the hard way in my 2nd match of the set in my final matchup in loser's bracket last Saturday. Her ground game and air to ground is worse than Sheik's thanks to raw frame data, IMO, but not by a lot. Just enough to make it less of a ball-crushing matchup. Samus has a similar issue to Link in that projectiles wrack up good damage while managing our approach options with a good ground game, but her projectiles set her up for her ground to air game much better against us. Her ground to air game is unstoppable thanks to her up b chaining us to high heaven at almost all percents. Definitely a bigger boon for her than in Brawl. Palutena's god-like roll, dash attack, and bair are difficult for us to deal with and can wall us in many situations. Dash attack and bair have the auto-guard property and bair auto cancels. Combine those with her neutral b, and it's easy to be conditioned to shield against her, leading to grab mixups. Her other attacks are typically laggy but have large disjoint, so they won't be seen outside of reads and punishes. Her jab won't be used against us once she realizes Tough Guy works against it.

I feel that Charizard doesn't need to combo us for days. He's got a better roll and landing punish in flare blitz, a jab with better speed and disjoint, and a longer-reaching bair. His dthrow is a kill throw, his dash is faster than ours, and his fire works just as well as our fire in dittos. He's got the tools to make the fight difficult against an evenly skilled player. As for Diddy, the only reason I feel he's in Tier A is his dthrow options on the entire cast and his uair. Well, mostly his uair. If it wasn't for how god-like his uair is, I would definitely consider dropping him to Tier B. We should also talk more about Diddy's dtilt. It's nasty. This reminds me, Zigsta, you said you fought a Diddy after the tournament last Saturday? Whose Diddy was it?

@ Melonfrog Melonfrog Feel free to roll away from Jiggs. There's not much she can do to punish your roll if she's low to the ground. This is a great matchup to condition yourself not to throw out fortress against spaced attacks. Throwing out fortress is pretty much instant death against Jiggs and other characters with amazing kill moves since Rest and the like are easy to land during that move's atrocious end lag. Angled up ftilt and reverse uair are really your best tools on the ground aside from a good usmash auto-guard, as you've already discovered. Count her jumps and make sure you're ready for her to get low to the ground before going all-in. If you can get underneath her, throwing out uair or rising nairs can sometimes catch jiggs off-guard. You can usually land before anything serious happens or force an air dodge. It's good pressure for us.

Last edited:
Top Bottom