• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Captain Falcon Video Critique Thread

ComboFest

Smash Lord
Thanks for the advice man <3 much appreciated. I will try to put all of that information into my head and get some practice in. Will post another match if i get recorded at the next tournament.

KUSH.

Smash Apprentice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CqFdkM_f30
if anyone is bored, can i get some criticism plox lol

i consider myself playin better than i normally would during these games.

1st match is me doin aite, 2nd match i get *****, 3rd is aite, not really a legit match tho haha suicides all around

i have no idea what to do in the marth matchup, all i do is dashdance, or downthro nair and hope **** connects haha

if anyone could give me tips for edgeguarding him that would be appreciated.

also i downthrow too much, edgehop uair too much, and go for crazy **** alot but thats where the fun is haha. thanks in advance

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
uthrow more (like you said in your own post).
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=10845217&postcount=12270
part 5, M2k gives a quick breakdown of your options against marth with uthrow at various percents. Just try doing it more and watch vids of top-level falcons and pay attention to their grab followups.

Another thing about uthrows: They allow you to force Marth onto platforms. You can follow up with Uair and Dar. Feels good man. If they hold down while you uair, it prevents a lot of followups though. You can counter that with dairs, which should lead to at least a knee.

When edgeguarding Marth, backwards ledgehop (backflip) to refresh invincibility helps dodge fairs Marths like to throw out to cover their recovery and also not get hit by their upB.

Invincible ledgedash more. WD OOS is a good option to have.

at 4:22, all you had to do was do the second uair faster to connect. This marth doesn't DI down and away much. It should be pretty easy to string together uairs.

KUSH.

Smash Apprentice
thanks alot man, that is some legit info. using platforms seems like a very good idea, gonna try and implement it into my gameplay more now. Yeah idk why i always downthrow marth, but i'll start uthrowing into things more now as well. the marth player is a fox main but he is solid with everyone. thanks again!

oksas

oak-sauce
someone halp me :(

at this point i dont give a **** about anyone other than falco. every other matchup seems possible if i put some time into it, but falco makes me want to just die

if you skip maybe like 20 mins in things might get a little better and i think i play a little less like a ****** but no johns, any stupid **** i did throughout the whole thing deserves crit. someone just please tell me how to stop getting ***** by birds

Turnerfield77

Smash Cadet
someone halp me :(

at this point i dont give a **** about anyone other than falco. every other matchup seems possible if i put some time into it, but falco makes me want to just die

if you skip maybe like 20 mins in things might get a little better and i think i play a little less like a ****** but no johns, any stupid **** i did throughout the whole thing deserves crit. someone just please tell me how to stop getting ***** by birds
When you're getting pressured you need to role away or wavedash out of shield or jump or anything that will get you away from the wall of shines and downairs, also, neutralair is your friend against falco

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
First time I've ever been recorded playing Melee.

Anything anyone wants to say will be of help. Only thing im specifically working on atm is better character control/consistency and overall being as fast and fluid as possible. Really bad habbits and anything i should change are inputs i'd love to hear, or just tips in general. Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lFgtZJfWCw&feature=plcp

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Did a very quick lookthrough of the first game

Things I like:
You grab
It looks like you have some idea of how to space moves
You did a late Uair -> dash attack his tech roll, shows you have ideas on how to cover options which is crucial for techchasing
Had some good suicide edgeguards that could've easily been weak knee gimps if you worked on your execution

Things I hate:
Randomly moonwalking when your tech skill sucks, I would personally try to be competent at doing stuff before doing useless flashy things

Things you should work on:
Hate to say it but I don't think your tech skill is up to par with today's technology MASSIVE DISCLAIMER BELOW

That does not at all mean mindlessly grind tech skill (I believe some things like ledgedashing are appropriate to grind but stuff vital for interacting with your opponent like movement skills is not one of them)

I think you should spend some time practicing the basics of Lcanceling and utilizing wavedashes/wavelands in your movement, but you should always try to understand how to use the tools you're practicing to get hits / positioning

Lately I've found that in my early days I spent way too much time obsessing about tech skill and although now I have the tools to play fast I'm still not mentally up to speed a lot of the time, so don't make that mistake and keep active mentally, even if you're practicing alone

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
Thanks, its appreciated and sort of have been aware of it. Like I said, movement has been my biggest thing. I just became a 1 man state again in south dakota, so my drive to actually practice as opposed to life things, makes it even harder still. Thanks!

Edit: I dabbled in melee but got competitive in Smash with Brawl. Never tried competitive Melee till... this Febuary. So I fully know im behind the curve. No offense taken. I see almost any tournament video of any falcon, then see how slow and inconsistent i am. And wish i was with the times, lol

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
I only watched the first game so far

Overall pretty decent, like Wenbo said. I think speed will come with time. A specific aspect of "speed" though that I think you should work on is trying to move as soon as possible (and in the correct manner) after you get a hit. For example, around 0:22, you hit a nair cleanly but you WD backwards instead of dashing forwards. Another spot where you WDed backwards extraneously was around 1:05, during the dthrow techchase. WDing in general as Falcon should only be used for very specific purposes, like WD oos or fine spacing situations like baiting Sheik ftilts. (You can use it to position yourself next to them for reaction techchases after throws if they don't DI full away, but that's not what you did there).

Uair is great, but a couple times you used it in situations where its clearly not the right choice. For example, the early uair at around 0:46. Move choice aside, attacking there with an aerial is a bad idea in general since it was from far away, and Falco wasn't in lag or a disadvantaged position in any way. He could have easily stuffed it with bair on reaction, or avoided it and punished. There are a couple other times when you attack from too far away and whiff, such as 1:48 and 0:58. Falcon isn't built for throwing aerials at them from half the stage away in a neutral position.

I would like to see you react better to your opponent being above you as well. At around 1:53 he does a random full hop dair that you could have avoided and punished, and it happens again at 1:55. In both cases you were in shield, and you could have either full jump uaired to hit him before he does the aerial (riskier) or WD oos (safer). You should WD oos more in general as a low-commitment way of leaving your shield and trying to regain a neutral position.

One more random note: you can shieldgrab space animals' dash attacks on your shield, since your grab reaches behind. You missed a couple free punishes on these.

If this is useful at all I can do the other games later

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
Perfectly useful. Time specific points outs are great. I play these guys so often and win 99% of the time I can focus on new things and try to get better that way. So all my bad habits show (and I don't pick up on them so well) which is great to focus on.

Additionally, im uploading ALL the vids from several hours. All on that same channel. So, if you want to skip around and comment on some, I'd be appreciated as well.

:phone:

dawn001

Smash Ace
I know for sure this is old and it's been asked before like millions of time..but can someone tell me how to do the gentleman with falcon? I can't seems to get it right..

Zhea

Smash Ace
Jab 3 times as fast as you can then immediately do an action. Check out the falcon compendium, tons of stuff on it. Just like multi shines or any other speed and flow based tech skill you really just need to practice. Don't feel bad if you don't get it fast, high level falcons still flub it occasionally... On stream... Getting called out by Wobblez.

Captain Smuckers

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, I'm not a falcon main, but I really like playing as falcon a lot. So if you could critique me a bit I'd really appreciate it.

http://www.twitch.tv/ticosmash/b/346190645
It starts at 2:23:30 and goes until 2:40:00

I apologize in advance for commentary/other stuff/my playing

Thanks

Edit: lol totally forgot to mention, I'm the black falcon. The green one is my friend smokey bluntz.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
You should maybe try having a plan for how to do moves instead of just doing them

Applies to neutral and comboing

You sometimes separate Nana and have her in hitstun ... so ... kill her maybe?

Windrose

Smash Lord
You should maybe try having a plan for how to do moves instead of just doing them

Applies to neutral and comboing

You sometimes separate Nana and have her in hitstun ... so ... kill her maybe?
What should be my plan in neutral and comboing? I don't really know what to do vs this weird character.

The only thing I know is ice climbers like to wave dash a lot so I try to place stomps or knees over shooting to where they wave dash back to and side b is kinda good.

Yeah you're right about killing her those times. I see that now after rewatching these videos. my thought process in game was, "If i go for nana as my priority every time, i'm going to have to take out 8 stocks every match."

I try to use nana as bait making popo think i'm going for her and then hit popo instead but it doesn't really work out.

I also don't know how to edge guard IC very well. I try to knee them but it's hard to position myself correctly vs their recovery. I thought maybe downsmash is a good edge guard because I saw other falcons use it but I don't know the appropriate time to use that

It's me Q

Smash Apprentice
I also don't know how to edge guard IC very well. I try to knee them but it's hard to position myself correctly vs their recovery. I thought maybe downsmash is a good edge guard because I saw other falcons use it but I don't know the appropriate time to use that
Stomp/tilt? I can't see downsmash covering much but a horizontal recovery but even then I reckon you would have more reliable options..

Windrose

Smash Lord
tilt? i dunno man. that doesn't seem like a too efficient edge guard....i recall reading wenbobular telling people to just knee but if you see my videos i mess up the knee edge guards quite often.

i've seen people use downsmash before in edge guarding to cover like a wide area of where IC can land after side b...dunno...

stomp seems like a good idea though cuz ic can't meteor cancel? but they're always so high up...

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I don't know what your plan should be, but you should like ... have some semblance of a plan, otherwise you're just kinda doing moves

90% of Melee happens in your head, having a good game plan is super important for executing ... know what their danger moves are, know how to position, know how to punish, etc. - if you find yourself feeling a little clueless in a matchup / specific aspects of a matchup you should take some time out of the game and think about these things

ICs specific things, going off what I remember not liking in your play ...

When you have the easy kill on Nana, always take it if Popo isn't going to kill you from behind ... ICs goes from having the best grab punish to their best combo finish being Dsmash out of a techchase, which is a huge swing. Unless you're playing against top ICs, killing their Nana is almost as good as killing Popo assuming you don't die for it (and sometimes it's good enough even if they do kill you for it)

Edgeguarding ICs - if you can intercept early on in their side-b, they have less chance to trick you with DI
Upair / Knee from below beats the side-b hitbox
If they're coming from high, Upair also has a really big hitbox to hit them back off with to set up easier edgeguards
Basically remember that you don't have to kill them immediately until you're sure a finisher will hit, Upair is very good at racking percent / getting position
And attacking from below is usually better than attacking from high (stomp is another option but you can decide for yourself)

In neutral I think I saw some times where you could've floated into him with a nonfastfalled late aerial ... if you're doing that to the front of their shield, they have no good response to late aerial->dash away and it eats a good chunk of shield + often pokes Nana
Just don't do it too much from behind because the Bairhammer is a big OoS punish

_Rocky_

Smash Ace
Mix in more full hops (take control of top platforms, use empty hops to bait moves and pressure with spaced uair knee)

Late aerial to dash away is very strong as wenbo said.

Getting Nana offstage is often as good as killing her outright. If you're not 100% sure you can land a knee or fsmash on a separated Nana, just spam uairs.

Focus on bairing or reverse uairing them to edgeguard, knees are rarely worth it.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I think knees are very worth it, but I don't see any of the better Falcons get them because they don't get into position

Not giving them a chance to DI a million uairs to the corner is super beneficial for conserving mental energy and time (not irrelevant as edgeguards can sometimes get very extended if you can't land a better finisher than Uair)

You just have to really get in position to land a clean one

The best way is to shark below them and react super fast to their up-b start ... if they start it too high up, you can come up underneath them with knee

If they adapt to you going below them by dropping lower, you can turn around and either stomp or bair their head in with a fulljump aerial

The biggest thing you have to do is maintain positioning below them and force them to take lower positioning or try to do something tricky prematurely ... if they don't take preemptive measures you can get free uairs, which opens them up to landing higher reward punishes if you can bait them

Honestly their anti air is pretty bad when you're below them and the most annoying thing they can do is side-b no mash to just drop, or the hover outside of your range -> float down to the ledge as you charge a Dsmash like a dummy and both if those are pretty beatable by hitting them before they can DI

If it helps you any, I like to think of their recovery as being quite similar to Falcon's, except they have this hitbox that prevents you from attacking them from the side + ability to drop very fast at the beginning

Windrose

Smash Lord
Thanks guys those are some very helpful advice. I'm going to try my best to apply it.

My question is wenbo,

all this stuff you're talking about in your latest post about sharking below them. You're talking about staying on stage right? i'm trying to picture what you're describing. At first I thought you were talking about like jumping off stage and double jump from below to upair/knee them?

Also, random question about IC's up'b. Is one of the two Ic's like invincible during their rope throwing action? I have no idea how that mechanism works.............. I try kneeing them when they do that but sometimes it hits them but sometimes I get hit instead.

_Rocky_

Smash Ace
Thanks guys those are some very helpful advice. I'm going to try my best to apply it.

My question is wenbo,

all this stuff you're talking about in your latest post about sharking below them. You're talking about staying on stage right? i'm trying to picture what you're describing. At first I thought you were talking about like jumping off stage and double jump from below to upair/knee them?

Also, random question about IC's up'b. Is one of the two Ic's like invincible during their rope throwing action? I have no idea how that mechanism works.............. I try kneeing them when they do that but sometimes it hits them but sometimes I get hit instead.
Going below ICs is a good idea in general. Your uair beats everything they have pretty much

You can hit Nana out of the up b after she disconnects from the rope thingy. I almost never go for hitting Popo out of a double up b so i wouldn't know about his invincibility.

(sorry for answering in wenbos place but i think we're on the same train of thought)

Windrose

Smash Lord
anyone is welcome to answer. i don't know anything at all about ice climbers other than to not get grabbed.

Supposedly, to get out of the dair chain grab you should DI down and away on the d-throw and SDI up on the dair and jump out? Can I get a confirmation on this?

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
I still don't know the best way to get out of that dair chain grab. Interested in the answer from someone who knows their ****.

Tomber

Smash Journeyman
When doing the Dair chain on Falcon (or Ganon), the ICs player have a few extra options, which are not as viable against most other characters, in order to get a regrab.

If the ICs player does a normal D-throw -> sh dair -> regrab, then DI'ing down and away into buffer roll/jump is a good way to escape. The ICs can also do a reverse dair chain by doing D-throw -> full hop behind Falcon -> dair -> turn around -> grab. This is harder to escape and is pretty much the standard Chaingrab against Falcon/Ganon. If the ICs player is good at timing it, then DI'ing down and away is probably the best way to escape again ("Away" now meaning behind ICs). However, the ICs can mix it up with D-throw -> full hop behind Falcon -> dair -> down-smash which can catch the Falcon player off guard with bad DI (down and away) resulting in early KOs.
If the fair/regrab is timed badly, it is possible to DI up -> jump to avoid getting regrabbed (this is the best way to escape for Match/Samus/Doc and some other floaties).

TL;DR - In general, down and away DI into buffer jump/roll is the best way to escape for Falcon, but it's a mix up and a good ICs player will watch how you DI and adapt to it.

Anyway, you should watch this video. It includes C. Falcon and I thought you might find it entertaining.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n03ckU8WMg&feature=g-subs-u

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
My question is wenbo,

Just think about their up-b and where you would want to be when attacking them .... it wouldn't be from the side, and they generally try to come in from above

Just think about stuff and maybe it'll make more sense

stabbedbyanipple

Smash Master
I believe azn Lep (old school ICs who can still cg falcon really well lol), told me that you're supposed to smash DI up and away on reverse dair chain grabs and jump out

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
GUYS I have a match I could definitely use some critique on.

Some things I noticed while I watched the match:
-I don't know what to do when I grab her around 30-50%. I uthrow her and she just nairs me out of anything I do. Is uair guaranteed or is Sheik really that much of an escape artist?
-I get swatted a lot by Sheik's aerials and ftilt. Gonna need some help with that.
-I get stuck in shield a lot at bad moments. Something I could mitigate by getting more familiar with OOS options or just not sucking at seeing what my opponent is doing LOL

With that said, here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlrOhondvwM

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
I think adding some wavelands to your empty jumps would help you out.

I noticed you stay in your shield a lot like you said. Like, a lot lol. Most people don't say in there shields like that unless they are down or at high % and are trying to hold on. Being in shield is not good for falcon as he has no good OoS options.
Being in shield is a great way to put yourself in bad situations.

As for uthrow/dthrow I say dthrow more and just set up a tech chase or cover a tech with raptor boost/call a tech with dair w/e you want. I think dthrow is better on sheik and really most characters until they are at higher percent. I have really mixed feelings on uthrow I use it when I feel like I should but I'm sorry I can't tell you it's applications.

I don't have any advice on avoiding ftilt since that just comes down to spacing better and avoiding it.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Dthrow is generally better at low % before you can Uthrow Uair which probably starts early 30s ... you just have to be fast at instant Uair (I watched a little, you are not fast with instant Uair out of Uthrow)

When you can Uthrow Uair the matchup becomes much better as you can actually follow that up with either grab, Uair, or a techchase depending on their DI

Getting around Ftilt is a matter of not running at their lag like a dummy ... because Sheik doesn't really have lag after AC aerials
Your best bet for AC aerial is stuff it before it starts with a Uair scoop or trying to figure out what option they choose to do out of it (tilt is very common, they'll mix in more Fairs, dash attack, grabbing, running away, etc if they're good)

Top Bottom