• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Captain Falcon Video Critique Thread

S l o X

Smash Champion
I hate when that happens. Gonna let it load since my internet is slow and then I'll edit or double post stuff.

Any chance you've been watching Mango's falcon lately?

S l o X

Smash Champion
this fox fire foxed within range of bairs for days but you never really went for one even with ledge invincibility. i love your movement and how you place yourself but you just seem to throw out wrong / bad moves in good positions. dont force approaches / don't force fox to approach. just dd and nair a lot when he's out of range of something. bair blocks a lot of his approaches and dd ***** any of his dair approaches (lol dair approaches) damn girl you got ****ed. ledge invincibility to bair / jump on stage knee to edgeguard fox is some back to basics 2012 ****. get on that. (you are already pretty fast i just dont see you being fast from the ledge) recovery high on every stage that isnt fd. if you can make it on a platform, do it. a lot more options than recovering from below. this all sounds retardedly basic and like ******** advice, i suck at this. /giveup

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Yeah, despite writing a guide on how to edgeguard Fox I'm actually really bad at it <_<
Although some missed ledgehop aerials were just like ... me missing the input

Not exactly sure what you mean by wrong moves though so I'll watch it again

Windrose

Smash Lord
Okay guys, I've taken a lot of the advice on peach and tried to apply it within the short time. However, I really don't have anyone to play with that plays peach to practice with so all I really can do is just play against cpu peaches.

I don't know wtf to do. I tried using more up airs against her on the ground and when she was floating as someone suggested. I still use nair way too much in neutral game and i was told it is really bad to use nair vs peach.

Here is a video from yesterday's tournament. I don't know if improved at all in this matchup, I still get hit a lot...and get owned by peach's float and dash attack.

http://www.twitch.tv/eschamptv/b/309748672
(fast forward to 3h 13min)
TEchnical issues

Here's a video from awhile back that I asked people to critique to give some contrast on how i've changed in my playing vs peach since then.

http://youtu.be/XnlsLpsomg0

EDIT: any help is appreciated!! Thanks in advance

Windrose

Smash Lord
Help! :( basically I am just looking for opinions on my new style which involves a lot more mix ups in jumps, aerial timings vs my old dash dance camping style. I also use a lot more up air against peach and I feel my edge guarding is better.

But I still get hit a lot and I don't know wtf I am doing wrong. Plz help!

Also there might be stuff that you guys notice that I never knew before which might help me a lot. unknown told me that I miss a lot of double knee opportunities that scar always go for and I never realized those options existed until he pointed them out. Even at high percents where the opponent must survival di the knee which gives a free second knee. Anyways that is just one example of how I was completely in aware of something but now somebody pointed it out and it helped a lot.

:phone:

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
That video only goes up to 3 hours are you sure it's the right link?

Also Falcon rule of thumb is you can always hit the double knee

Windrose

Smash Lord
wow....it must've gotten edited out /deleted....it was a 6 hour video before....argh.....

i'm gonna see if i can find it.

well **** my life....it got cut out.

What the ****.

Only game 2 is available on youtube....**** this bs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-LPfRKJzCU

How hard is it to cut videos properly from twitch tv....god damn

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Why would you ever try to knee after an uptilt on Puff, I was hoping he'd just kill you for it so you wouldn't do something so dumb again <______<

Uhh ... I'm not sure what kind of general advice you want to be getting
Your dashes out of aerials / wavedashes are a little slow, it feels like you're not fastfalling optimally, etc etc be faster etc etc

Don't do random knees when Puff is clearly jumping around trying to Bair you, at least make a conscious effort to overshoot aerials

Instant Uair is pretty good vs Puff IMO

Don't run into pounds, they're mad laggy and are essentially free knees if you bait them well

Biggest thing is you'll just do aerials that aren't going to hit him unless he moves forward by ... a lot
And I don't think Puffs have a tendency to just ... straight up run at you on the ground ... so I have no idea why you'd be doing those random stomps and knees

Go back, watch your vids, and see if there are any aerials you do that you just facepalm at ... and never do them again ~_~

You should also try using more of your aerials I don't think I see a lot of Uair / Bair and they're both very good at either scooping Puff or spacing vs her Bair

Windrose

Smash Lord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP3BAdQuB_E&feature=channel 4 games in the set

Any critique is appreciated, but general stuff would be more helpful than vs. puff specifically, just because I fight puff almost never. And I know I dash attack too much =/
Don't use raptor boost against jigglypuff. Imo it's useless 90% of the time.

Try to use bair more. You aren't playing against a very gay jigglypuff here but bair will help you a lot against gayer jiggs.

Also take note of all the spacing stuff that wenbobular mentioned, those were some key problems. Also what he said about upairs is very true as well vs jiggs. Upair is great against jiggs when she's above you.

Stomp is good vs jiggs but don't use it too much especially when your'e jumping at her from all the way across the stage. Stomp is especially good if jiggs is crouching a lot to try to bait you to grab her or something.

Penguin_ftw

Smash Apprentice
Alright thanks for the tips. I think a lot of my spamming moves around puff has to do with playing against a luigi so much. That wavedash of his is so fast that pretty much anything within 10 feet is fair game against him when he slips out of anything I throw directly at him either backwards or forwards. Anyways it's something I'll try and work on.

What things in the matches, if any, did I do "right"? It sounds kind of awkward to ask imo but I honestly can't really tell between me doing the right thing and my opponent just making a mistake and letting whatever I did work anyway.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
That's fair, stomp in place is pretty good against Luigi ... but that's only because his movement is so based on his wavedash that his other "approaches" hardly even count
It's pretty bad vs the rest of the cast (works decently against ICs because they're, again, a wavedash character)

Vs Jiggs in general I think you should be looking to get under her and abuse Uair and Bair, using some combination of moves that aren't Bair to try to hit her as she jumps back if you want to approach and using Bair in aerial spacing wars (although usually you're much better off running around than challenging a Jiggs at a Bair off)

As for whether or not you were doing things right or the Jiggs was messing up ... well ... beats me ~_~
I feel like matches played at that level usually come down to whoever messes up less / has better tech skill

Watched half of game 4 you could definitely do some work running out of aerials faster and fastfalling better (notably after you hit knees you'll usually miss the fastfall)

Also I saw you do some move into edgecancel Uair or something and just get Fsmashed for it ... after the Jiggs had just missed a couple Fsmashes in a row and was crouching under the platform ... come on now, no tech skill autopiloting you're not technical enough for that yet :laugh: ... .__.

Jiggs specific thing - you're really slow out of Dthrow sometimes

@ j00t - first match was tragic I thought he'd die after that Bair
Unfortunately I have very little to say about the Samus matchup, maybe I'll look at it again later

Penguin_ftw

Smash Apprentice
Also I saw you do some move into edgecancel Uair or something and just get Fsmashed for it ... after the Jiggs had just missed a couple Fsmashes in a row and was crouching under the platform ... come on now, no tech skill autopiloting you're not technical enough for that yet :laugh: ... .__.
Yeah... that was umm...

yeah...

>.>

Jiggs specific thing - you're really slow out of Dthrow sometimes
Unfortunately that's not really Jiggs specific, I'm just kind of generally awful at timing things immediately out of throws =/

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Something to work on then
It's pretty important when techchasing, you really want to get to where they land ASAP

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
i'd say

-- grab the ledge when edgeguarding. you can cover the same options from there as you would from onstage and you eliminate others

-- felt like you were too non-committal when on the offensive. you landed a # of clean hits or even just put him in a bad position (cornered him for example), but reset the situation by running away or something instead of pushing the edge. obv easier for me to identify here than it is to spot in the moment lol. example, in game 2 on dreamland, ~4:23 you land an uair but do not chase the tech. shortly after that you get him offstage and have him cornered, but you run away and let the situation get back to neutral

-- careful about throwing out aerials. there were a lot of times where he was just standing and you threw out a bair or something that he could have punished by just running up and grabbing. thought you attempted too many aerials when he was on top of you. fox's nair is too fast, in such close quarters his aerial is going to win. also don't like approaching w/stomp.

-- lots of rolling. i assume some were tech errors. if most/all were, then disregard, but many looked deliberate/done to evade pressure. we all **** ourselves sometimes lol, but wd oos imo. i think rolling, esp against fox, is bad, bad, bad

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
umm, sorta i guess. you don't necessarily need to be more offensive overall (like say from neutral position). you created plenty of opportunities, but you should definitely more offensive/aggro/confident when you land hits/get knockdowns

The Irish Mafia

Banned via Administration
What happened between game 1&3?

(asides from game 2)
Watching this set now, I have no idea what changed between me dominating game 1 and nearly getting 4 stocked game 3. I just felt completely shut out once he started moving. Any advice, be it over a specific "I woulda hit that" moment or an overarching flaw in my play, is appreciated.
Thanks <3

Edit: lol sorry i forgot the link for so long

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
This thread is a sticky again because Scar's videos subforum got deleted... everyone should post their critique requests here!

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Whoa JUGGLYGUY IS A MOD!!

@Mafia - you thought game 1 was you "dominating?" <_<
To me it looked like he was just messing up a few punishes but getting more hits, and you got kinda lucky hitting some clean stomps / knees off what looked like him screwing something up

In game 3 he just executed way better and beat you up with standard Fox stuff

I can try commenting on them more in depth when it's not 5 in the morning, but I think your evaluation on how game 1 played out is a little off

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
More importantly why did I get subbed to the Brawl Diddy forums after it was deleted -_-

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
I think it was just deleted by default when Scar got unmodded. And I don't really see a point in re-creating it because this thread is good enough. The Falcon videos subforum was the only one of its kind in the Melee Character Specific boards, and now that it's gone, you're probably subscribed to the Diddy Kong Videos and Critique subforum which happens to be the only one of its kind on the Brawl Character Specific boards.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
I think it was just deleted by default when Scar got unmodded. And I don't really see a point in re-creating it because this thread is good enough. The Falcon videos subforum was the only one of its kind in the Melee Character Specific boards, and now that it's gone, you're probably subscribed to the Diddy Kong Videos and Critique subforum which happens to be the only one of its kind on the Brawl Character Specific boards.
Well, the Brawl Marth boards have had a video and critque thread for some time now. Also, is Scar qui tting for good?

KUSH.

Smash Apprentice
heyy guys theres a tourney coming up in my area and i actually want to make it out of pools this time lol ive been working really hard and am now starting to see improvement with my falcon:bee:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWX7W3w72zo&feature=plcp

critique is much appreciatedddd be as honest as you can idgaf lol

mainly lookin for things that im doin wrong or things i SHOULD have done during the match

just one thing

at :30 the edge cancel thru me off so i didnt grab the ledge right lol i usually grab it so dont think i was goin for anything leaving the stage that far lol

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I never know how to critique people who I feel don't have basic tech skill down, so I'll just leave it at that ... you could be moving at like twice your speed <_<

Also raptor boost techchasing is generally used when you can set it up to cover 3/4 of they're options ... it's not really there to just randomly throw out and hoping it hits <--- based on seeing you raptor boost once

KUSH.

Smash Apprentice
I never know how to critique people who I feel don't have basic tech skill down, so I'll just leave it at that ... you could be moving at like twice your speed <_<

Also raptor boost techchasing is generally used when you can set it up to cover 3/4 of they're options ... it's not really there to just randomly throw out and hoping it hits <--- based on seeing you raptor boost once
can you tell me then specifically how and where my techskill could have been better, you are being vague so just pin point specific examples pl0x?
and thanks man youve critiqued me errytime ive post and its much appreciated!

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Just compare your Falcon with Johnny's Falcon or something haha
Learn how fast you can fastfall attacks and how fast you can move out of Lcancels and just try to move faster

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
can you tell me then specifically how and where my techskill could have been better, you are being vague so just pin point specific examples pl0x?
l cancel better/move more quickly after l cancels. Also, you're not fastfalling a lot of your aerial attacks or fastfalling too late and it's hurting your ability to follow up.

i know this stuff still sounds vague, but situation-specific advice is kind of moot when you can still make huge improvements just by improving technical skill.

if you haven't already, watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfBuAo_Bfvw and mull over some of the concepts. The follow up video "reading comprehension" is pretty good too.

keep your head up and find some players that are better than you to grind for hours with. You'll surprise yourself when you go back and watch these vids in a few months.

edit: especially think about the part where he talks about shielding when outside of range. I noticed you shielded quite a few times when the fox was no obvious threat to you (halfway across dream land or something)

Twinkles

Smash Lord
press buttons faster

in all seriousness, a friend told me to do that and i did 100x better against him

basically, get fast enough that the other person doesn't have time to breathe
i'll think of specific examples when i get to watching your video more in depth, but just thinking about optimizing your speed should help you already

Noobpwnsxperts

Smash Rookie
hello im nick i put this video together so that you guys can comment and evaluate what im missing in my game play i am the green falcon ( Noob) and my friend is playing (Hans) we are smashers from dominican republic and want to little by little be known by the community i will slowly record some more videos i see my self later on in a future maybe participating in tournys feed back to this video will be very helpful thank you .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEO20Aqk4Ms

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Did you perhaps consider that a combo / highlight video might not be helpful for us to critique actual gameplay

From what I gather you can hit double knees (often enough to put in a combo video, which says ... not very much), don't JC grabs / tech Falcon up-bs, and DI in too much

Also shaky camera

So yeah, actual match videos would be much more interesting than a highlight reel

Noobpwnsxperts

Smash Rookie
hello im nick i put this video together so that you guys can comment and evaluate what im missing in my game play i am the green falcon ( Noob) and my friend is playing (Hans) we are smashers from dominican republic and want to little by little be known by the community i will slowly record some more videos i see my self later on in a future maybe participating in tournys feed back to this video will be very helpful thank you . this is an old video btw were playing better now i will upload new content soon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEO20Aqk4Ms

Noobpwnsxperts

Smash Rookie
i will just upload new videos without the shaky camara by next week but with what you saw in that small video you cant see anything that can help me improve ? if so then ill just upload real fights next week

Gahtzu

Smash Journeyman
how can anyone critique u when ur showing only the parts where u and ur friend did well? If u show the entire match/matches then someone can evaluate your gameplay overall much easier than just segmented clips of u pressing pause before you knee your friend lol.

Top Bottom