• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Capitan Tavo at Apex 2014?

clubbadubba

Smash Master
i think you're highly overestimating the actual in game utility of performing a tavo combo against poor DI, no offense to Stranded.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
I'm not sure if that :troll: means you're just kidding, or if you actually have an american falcon with console experience in mind better (other than isai obviously).

thegreginator

Smash Journeyman
Stranded has a flashy Falcon but I don't think the kid's been playing the game long enough to have a solid grasp on spacing and mindgames so I wouldn't put him at the top. He definitely has time to get there though, especially since he has some good local training partners.

I would probably call myself a Falcon main if I had to pick one and I think Falcon dittos are awesome.

Tavo's Falcon > Boom's Falcon

Maliki

Smash Ace
"I don't only tavo combo, any player with half a brain would be able to DI up out of the B-air's. You act like it's the only thing I do, I honestly think I have a better falcon than sensei, and for you clubba, you are in no posisition to be calling me a scrub considering you placed under me in every tournament we have been to together. You're a lil *** #ClubbaDaScrubba #FiveStockedSenseiInFalconDittos

- Stranded"

Stranded doesnt have a smashboards and wanted me to post this.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Stranded didn't i beat that falcon with my samus or yoshi or some **** like that? EZ.

l2 fight mario n00b. Why you so scared of fireballs? Uppercut him in the crotch

Oh, and try not to lose to a non-isai link next tourney

Also, m2k. pwned

#falconpausedittosarethetruetest

rustyw

Smash Cadet
Can y'all take this into another thread please? I'm actually trying to get a good read on whether it is possible to bring Tavo to Apex.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
true true my bad. Stranded I request a truce. We can settle this at the next tournament when everyone else is busy watching finals again and we are actually playing smash.

And rustyw, this is absolutely possible. Again though, could we get more information about exactly how much money would be needed and when that money would be needed? Tavo is coming we will make sure of it, we just need more info.

rustyw

Smash Cadet
I'm a little hesitant to give exact numbers at this point because airfare prices will be volatile especially the closer we get to the holidays. Right now a ticket from Lima to NYC for Tavo would cost 1000 bucks as of earlier this week, and the visa is about 200 bucks. I've sent a letter to Apex staff asking for verification they can give to the embassy that Tavo doesn't plan to abscond to the US and live here permanently (lol). But the total cost could ramp up the closer we get to the holidays. Tavo said he can afford 200 dollars right now, according to Mariguas.

If Madrush were to offer a buddy pass, well, no pressure, that would be amazing, though.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
i just did a quick search on orbitz from lima to nyc (all airports) and found $810 round trip tickets leaving 1/15 and coming back 1/22 (wednesdays). It also would land in Newark, NJ, which is actually much closer to the venue/hotel than the nyc. After $200 from him that's $600 for flight and and maybe $200 on top for visa (not sure what exactly karajan is covering here). I think we can manage that.

Nearjack

Smash Cadet
Don't worry. I'm friend tavo's and talk with him often, and he can actually afford to pay 400-500 dollars,so he would need 700 dollars more or less.If Madrush help with Buddy pass, then no problem.He pay for the visa and other things

rustyw

Smash Cadet
OK, that's what Tavo told me originally but Mariguas said 200 yesterday. So let's go with 700 bucks. What's the best, safest way to collect donations?

banze

Smash Journeyman
Please! don't try getting a visa with a smash tournament TO document.
All you have to do is to get an address from some hotel in the city and the plane tickets you are expecting to fly (print the flight schedule, even without paying for it).
If you have any document such as school/university papers and something that proves your parents bank account, just bring those and it is more than enough to make it through.
tell them that you are going to meet some friends there and tourist around or something ... don't say you are going to play video game because (even tho it is true) sounds really funky. My buddy Kovarish (also an smash player) tried it that way some years ago and it didn't went so well.

If he needs some more help or anything in that matter let me know! =]

clubbadubba

Smash Master
OK, that's what Tavo told me originally but Mariguas said 200 yesterday. So let's go with 700 bucks. What's the best, safest way to collect donations?
The easiest thing to do would be to reimburse him when he's here.

Combo Blaze

Smash Ace
RIP Megavolt I guess. No one mentioned him lol Falcon only mini tourny pls

For plane tickets it's good to check around different days. I remember hearing from people who travel that they'd sometimes end up with better prices if they spent an extra 1-2 days. Something like $200+ difference lol

Sedda

Smash Champion
yeah browse around
2k sounds like way too much considering we're still a few months away

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
lol it's kinda funny to me that people feel so strongly about this new rule that they're willing to pay money to change it. has that even happened in any of the other smash games before?
I find it funnier that despite the years of debate over the validity of the stage, it took one character, one player who doesn't even take 64 serious, and one set to shift peoples opinions when that playstyle got dickridden, used to troll, and encouraged, to shift favor to ban a stage. Yes I'm talking about the MATTS troll kirby style. I've kinda held back my opinions on that for a while just to see how far the smash 64 community is going to take the "No johns" attitude concerning kirby when he obviously shuts down some characters and completely makes them unviable unless you're Apex champ contention skill level. Last times I know of that a character shut down and made others unviable were metaknight and Akuma. one of those still remains banned (to my knowledge)

But I'm going to be told I'm wrong so whatever. :awesome: My point is Kirby's ease of play far far outweighs skill required to succeed with him. One move shuts down approaches of almost the entire cast when spaced properly, if people don't see a problem or imbalance with this then you're ****in dumb. No amount of "GIT GUD" comments (or crap like it) that I know some of you will throw at me will invalidate what I said.

Sangoku

Smash Master
There are thousand of threads about Kirby hate, camping hate, Hyrule hate, m2k hate, or Sangoku hate (oh no, I closed those ones). These topics can be discussed elsewhere (if you want to keep track of what has been said here, just quote one post from here in another thread). It's fine for me to go offtopic sometimes, but here, the thread creator clearly stated that he wanted this thread to stay on track, so please gentlemen continue to talk about Capitan Tavo&Apex. The next offtopic post will get infracted.

So if we make a calculation, how much does Tavo have yet (including the donations mentioned here)? I might donate some, but not too much since I am myself not even going to Apex, so I wouldn't benefit that much.

EggSelent

Smash Apprentice
There are thousand of threads about Kirby hate, camping hate, Hyrule hate, m2k hate, or Sangoku hate (oh no, I closed those ones). These topics can be discussed elsewhere (if you want to keep track of what has been said here, just quote one post from here in another thread). It's fine for me to go offtopic sometimes, but here, the thread creator clearly stated that he wanted this thread to stay on track, so please gentlemen continue to talk about Capitan Tavo&Apex. The next offtopic post will get infracted.

So if we make a calculation, how much does Tavo have yet (including the donations mentioned here)? I might donate some, but not too much since I am myself not even going to Apex, so I wouldn't benefit that much.
Are we allowed to discuss Sangoku hate (not saying I have any personal Sangoku hate, but it's funny to nevertheless read discussions about) here, since our other mediums of expressing our opinions (threads) have been closed?

Oh yeah, lest I be off topic, is Captain Taco gonna come? And how badly will he get pwned by Boom and Isai, much less dem kirby "players?"

Sangoku

Smash Master
Why not? You should go.
I don't have holidays around that time and going there for a weekend isn't worthy.

Are we allowed to discuss Sangoku hate (not saying I have any personal Sangoku hate, but it's funny to nevertheless read discussions about) here, since our other mediums of expressing our opinions (threads) have been closed?
Threads about specific people are against the rules. If you want to hate on me, either do it in the social thread, or via PM if it's a serious matter.

And looks like I won't be able to donate either, sorry =/. Some car problems that's sucking up all my money.

B-Town

Smash Apprentice
I'd donate 1$ for every falcon punch combo Tavo does in a tourney set.

I'd also donate 20$ if there's a falcon only exhibition tourney with Tav0 repping peru, Ruoka for Japan, Boomfan for Canada, and Isai for USA and/or a pot bonus... but perhaps this discussion for another donation thread

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
I'd donate 1$ for every falcon punch combo Tavo does in a tourney set.

I'd also donate 20$ if there's a falcon only exhibition tourney with Tav0 repping peru, Ruoka for Japan, Boomfan for Canada, and Isai for USA and/or a pot bonus... but perhaps this discussion for another donation thread
I cant remember the last time I've seen Isai use falcon in a serious manner lol. Then again I don't keep up on videos like I used to.

rustyw

Smash Cadet
What if reimbursement isn't an option? It seems to me there's no good way of saying "yeah, I think there's enough money waiting for you when you get here, just buy a plane ticket and a visa". What could be used to raise the money beforehand? Sorry for being unprepared; I am doing this as a favor to Tavo and Mariguas because I speak English, but I'm not too clear on the mechanics of how to actually make this work.

Sangoku

Smash Master
I think there are some sophisticated ways such that everybody gets their money back if the expected amount isn't reached, but I'm not too sure about those. Other than that, simply paypal?

thegreginator

Smash Journeyman
You could do a kickstarter or other similar campaign. I think they take some money off the top, but the upside is that it is easy to keep track of and has wider visibility.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
What if reimbursement isn't an option? It seems to me there's no good way of saying "yeah, I think there's enough money waiting for you when you get here, just buy a plane ticket and a visa". What could be used to raise the money beforehand? Sorry for being unprepared; I am doing this as a favor to Tavo and Mariguas because I speak English, but I'm not too clear on the mechanics of how to actually make this work.
Well this wouldn't be a "we think there's enough money" thing. We would have enough money pledged by people to get him over here before he books anything.

We could do paypal, I just dunno how willing people are to do that.

I will donate a minimum of $100 to Tavo. If more money is needed to get him here after others have donated I might be able to swing it. Actually rusty, you should keep track of donation totals in the first post and title of this thread. Or if you want I can make a new thread and do it myself. Just let me know.

weedwack

Smash Journeyman
Clubba, a poll thread with various donation pledge options would be an easy way to tally.

Also make the results public so we can bicker backers.

Top Bottom