• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Calling all NC TO's and players

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
It is no secret to anyone who is a part of the NC smash scene that I have recently come to dislike brawl a great deal. Brawl is a fun game but the imbalance frustrates me to the point where I no longer enjoy it even half as much as I used to, however there is a solution.

Brawl+ is a phenomenal game already and there are improvements which are still on the way. As of right now Brawl+ is still in its infancy but there have already been many Brawl+ tournaments and from what research I have done, NC seems to be one of the most active Brawl+ states. Personally I think Brawl+ has the potential to replace Brawl and I believe NC has enough interest for it to be one of the first states to do so.

I said a while ago that I was done hosting Billfests however I have decided that I, along with my roommate Lord Karn, will resume with Brawl+ as the new headlining event (of course we will continue to support melee)

I am calling out to all other NC TO's to do the same. If it doesn't work out, all we have lost is a month or two of what would have otherwise been Brawl tournaments and if it works we become one of the most respected Brawl+ states. I have a lot of ideas in mind to get this plan going the first one, which I will announce here, being the most important.

I will be starting a Brawl+ PR board which will serve the usual purpose of such a board but which will also develop a recommended rule-set since one has yet to be established. I will be accepting applications for this board and I plan to have, including myself, 3 or 5 players (maybe 7) on this board, I would like the total number to be an odd number for obvious reasons. Players who apply need to be knowledgeable, active and skilled. I will also give priority to TO's willing to make the switch. I do not have a specific application format I am looking for I only ask all perspective members to pm, email, call, or aim me with a statement including why they wish to be part of the board and why they are a good addition to the board.

I have a whole lot of ideas which I have yet to disclose and I will at a later time but I strongly believe this state and this game has a lot of potential. Please help me to support this great game and all the hard work which has been put into it.

Please show your support by keeping this thread bumped.

lord karn

Smash Master
Yay, brawl+. I'm all for switching over to Brawl+, although I would still like for there to be a few VBrawl tournies. Also, I think it's way to early for Brawl+ power rankings, but it's a good idea to consolidate a rule list.

Pyrostormer

Smash Lord
Hmm... This idea seems like an idea that I would gladly get behind and support. But the problem I see with it is the fact we would have to limit Brawl. There are alot of players in NC that favor Brawl over Brawl + and Melee, so I'm worried that they may just quit the NC smash scene seeing as we may favor Brawl+ over Brawl.

But, I'm for this idea and I will support it in most ways possible.

BEHR

Smash Hero
Thats great Bill but Im not a fan of Brawl+ I still like Brawl better(Yeah I know weird) and besides im a Melee head. :'D

Anyways I still think Brawl+ should be a side tourney. My reasoning is that it still and infancy stage either we can step up Brawl+ and be the first state to be using it as a major tourney headline. I was actually thinking(and this is just me not Vilt) that if Brawl does not get big at HERB I was thinking that HERB 3 could possibly have just Melee and Brawl+(possibly depends on how much Vilt wants to pay for the venue) or HERB can just have all 3 events

IMO I will not enter a Brawl+ tourney cause I like Brawl and Melee and that's just throwing out money if I enter Brawl+.

So i doubt that you will see many G-Boro Brawl+ tourneys unless Vilt feels like making small ones.

Flamingo

Smash Lord
+Flamingo!

I think Omni and I should be on the board, we along with like Foxy were like the first people to test. Once I get back to state we are going to **** that game, I have to familiarize myself with the new builds though.. ^_^

And what is VBrawl?

East

Crappy Imitation
Doing Tricks in a Mansion Location: Tokyo, JP
I'm not a fan of it, but that's because we have conflicting interests, so arguing a point for either side just come off selfish. If NC were to become solely a Melee and Brawl+ state, I'd probably move elsewhere given the chance. People don't learn about brawl+ unless they're part of the brawl community first. This means your user base will be very small and recruitment will also be difficult. If you do get it off of the ground more power to you, but I unfortunately won't stick around for it.

I agree with BEHR. Sidetourney seems alright.

BEHR

Smash Hero
If I wanted to play a fast paced game ill just play Melee which is the superior game.

And I dont think I will ever like Brawl+

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
I like brawl better because it's more about outsmarting your opponent. Atleast, in my opinion.
I do like Brawl+ but honestly it feels really choppy. I think it will be alot better when it's completely done, but right now, I would prefer it as a side event. Even then, when it is finished, I don't think alot of people would prefer it over vBrawl. And now they are comming out with BBrawl. Can't they all co-exist without one completly dieing out? (Preferebly Melee and Brawl staying alive :o)

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
There are many reasons which I prefer brawl+ to brawl but the most important reason I believe is the issue of balance.

In smash brothers more than any other fighting game, players get very into their characters because the characters do not just represent a style of fighting but a game of their own. I have a friend who plays Link almost exclusively because he loves the character, he fell in love with Link long before smash brothers but if he wants to do well in tournaments playing as Link is a bad idea to say the least. Brawl+ has the potential to be balanced across all characters and has the potential to have one of the most in depth meta-games of any of the smash series so far.

None-the-less this is not meant to be a thread to convince people that Brawl+ is the superior game it is simply meant to garner support. Those who are anti-Brawl+ keep in mind that originally I was one of the most outspoken anti-Brawl+ pro-VBrawl players in NC. Those are anti-Brawl+ please just try to have an open mind with this idea and take to heart what I said: If it doesn't work out, all we have lost is a month or two of what would have otherwise been Brawl tournaments.

Its also interesting to me that some of the players posting which are vBrawl supporters I have never even seen at any NC tournament and I am pretty active to say the least. This is not to say that your opinion isn't valid just to point out that for the most part you have not been very active to begin with.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
Its also interesting to me that some of the players posting which are vBrawl supporters I have never even seen at any NC tournament and I am pretty active to say the least. This is not to say that your opinion isn't valid just to point out that for the most part you have not been very active to begin with.
Lol, ouch D:

I'm not putting down B+. And I'm willing to support this to an extent. But I'd just rather not have B+ completely take over Brawl. And SSB always comes down to matchups. If someone is playing a 90-10 matchup who is super pro, playing agaisnt someone who is just decent. The decent player will most likely win. That's why B+ isn't exactly balanced.

I like B+. But as it is, not more than vBrawl.
I would enter B+ tourneys/side events, if they are there, but if I had to vote over which one to have an actual tourney for, it'd be vBrawl.

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
I like brawl better because it's more about outsmarting your opponent. Atleast, in my opinion.
I agree with you, but this can be taken out of context. Brawl is more about outsmarting your opponent opposed to other aspects of the game, but only proportionally.. it's kind of hard to explain.

Just because a game is faster and more combo-based doesn't mean that there's less mind games and strategy involved in comparison to technical skill. It actually opens more doorways and gives you more options with strategy and more opportunities to mind-game... so although brawl's physics make 'out-smarting your opponent' even more key and more primary when compared to brawl+, chances are the strategy and mind-games are at a higher level... but just a little more balanced to other aspects of the game (which in turn balances offense v. defense..). Just my opinion... i don't have much experience with brawl+ though.

edit:

There are many reasons which I prefer brawl+ to brawl but the most important reason I believe is the issue of balance.
Nice.. didn't see your post yet, but yeah balance was what I was thinking as well.

oh yeah.. forgot to mention that I like brawl. Melee is tha **** though.

ptown

Smash Ace
In smash brothers more than any other fighting game, players get very into their characters because the characters do not just represent a style of fighting but a game of their own.
i get into my characters when i play other fighting games, too.

when i do a dragon punch with ryu, i makes em scared to jump. and i say YES inside every time.

East

Crappy Imitation
Doing Tricks in a Mansion Location: Tokyo, JP
Hi, I'm East. I'm pretty sure that I'm the only person that this statement is referring to in this thread.

My johns have been rides. I've always asked around to as many people in NC I can, but it seems that no one can ever spot me one [even with gas compensation]. Ptown never stays for brawl in the ones I've asked him about and I got into the scene too late for melee so there is no point in going. It's a tragedy really, but it's not like I haven't tried [though it still doesn't count for squat.]

I do plan on being at HERB 2. I got my ride set up two months ahead of time from a friend who's visiting from out of town, and I definitely won't stop trying to get rides to other tourney's

I agree with you that the people who don't regularly attend tournaments really don't have a place posting in here, but I tried to focus what I said, not on my opinion, but from the standpoint that discussing it one way or another probably isn't a good idea, because people will side with the game they like better and will try to convince others to convey their thinking, which will most likely end up with hurt feelings.

See you at HERB

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I have no personal objections to making B+ a more widely played game in NC. I personally prefer it to vBrawl, and really only go to tourneys now to play B+ friendlies.

I do worry, however, about the power of the game to draw in participants. I know that there are a lot of people who not only prefer vBrawl, but despise Brawl+, almost as much as some Melee players despise Brawl. And plenty of Melee players really don't like B+ either. Finally, most people don't even know B+ exists. If B+ became a standard, it would usually have low turnouts.

I think that it'd be nice to have more B+ tournaments, but in order to accommodate our community, we would need to hold onto the Melee and Brawl tournaments as well. The thing is, lately we've been having one tourney a week with two games (four events), and those have all gone until 12-2 in the morning. We have too many games, and not enough time. We could make certain events on another day, but these are all small tourneys, and don't warrant two-day affairs. So most tournaments, one game is going to have to be omitted. If we want to make sure that the community is properly served, we would need to have a lot of cooperation among our TOs to balance out what games are being played at what times. Some tourneys would have to be Melee and B+, some would have to be Brawl and B+, some would have to be Melee and Brawl. I think we can do it, but I'm just saying this ahead of time, so we have time to be ready for it.

But this is positively an admirable goal. I think one thing the B+ community needs is more tournaments, so that feedback can be provided on what characters are doing well, and what is causing it. Also, what characters are doing poorly, and what, if anything, should be done to improve them.

By the way, I leave for China tomorrow. If I come back, and this has all gone to ****, I'm blaming Peepee. That guy's such a troublemaker.

It actually opens more doorways and gives you more options with strategy and more opportunities to mind-game...
A really great example of this is ZSS's grab. In vBrawl, it had spotty, situational use, and if in some match-up, it provided no viable options, I simply would not have grab as an option, because the move had such massive risk with no reward. For example, a Lucario player can know that I will never use grab in the match-up, since it has so little use, so he can use that to his advantage. I can't even really threaten to grab, since if he is grabbed, he'll take 11% max. He'd rather be grabbed than hit by some other move.

But in Brawl+, the new mechanics make it so ZSS's grab is useful on any character. So being grabbed is a definite threat for many characters, and I can use the threat of grabs to induce certain reactions.

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
I didn't mean to be insulting with my statement about participation, I apologize if I was. All those who are against brawl+ i urge you to give it another shot because at one point I definitely felt same the way. Perhaps it was naive of me to assume that everyone would get on board for the switch so perhaps for now I am calling out for more support and not necessarily a full switch. This way we can see how everyone feels about the change and we can see if it works.

I do still want to get a board going like I posted so please get back at me if you are interested.

Jon?

Smash Champion
I find Brawl+ pretty fun. Who doesn't love a game where Charizard is a beast! I'll be practicing Charizard, once I get Brawl+ set up on my system.

Flamingo

Smash Lord
Brawl+ is a good game for new people to Smash in general to pick up. It gives the fun, fast pace combownage combined with more user friendly inputs and less technical skill to play Melee. Brawl+ would kinda be a nice prerequisite game to play before one would 'graduate' to melee.

Also, the larger viable cast, and an engine that can BE TWEAKED TO ANY EXTENT FOR BALANCE totally ROCKS!

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
I'm all for this, but only because I can main Squirtle and hate Brawl.

Also, I think I'll throw my name out there for the B+ PR Panel for when it becomes relevant. While I may not be skilled or know anything about B+ (yet), I do pay attention to tournament results and "who beat whom" at said tournaments. I'm also normally the guy that represents the people who aren't on the PR list.

I think ph00t brought up and interesting point when he said this...

"I think that it'd be nice to have more B+ tournaments, but in order to accommodate our community, we would need to hold onto the Melee and Brawl tournaments as well. The thing is, lately we've been having one tourney a week with two games (four events), and those have all gone until 12-2 in the morning. We have too many games, and not enough time. We could make certain events on another day, but these are all small tourneys, and don't warrant two-day affairs. So most tournaments, one game is going to have to be omitted. If we want to make sure that the community is properly served, we would need to have a lot of cooperation among our TOs to balance out what games are being played at what times. Some tourneys would have to be Melee and B+, some would have to be Brawl and B+, some would have to be Melee and Brawl. I think we can do it, but I'm just saying this ahead of time, so we have time to be ready for it."

The real problem is going to be who does and doesn't want to play B+. Personally, I probably won't travel far (if at all) to a Brawl and B+ tourney just for B+ simply because there's no Melee, and I'm sure that some Brawl players will do the same if there's no VBrawl.

@ Bill: I think we almost have your "Amy holding a roll of toilet paper" picture to make into an avatar.

Uncle

Novus Ordo Seclorum
I haven't played a whole lot of Brawl+ (Doubles and Singles at Omni's as well as some friendlies), but I'm already impressed with it. It is a legit, fun game that doesn't have the balance issues of vBrawl.

The very possible ideal of the whole cast (or at least almost the whole cast) becoming tourney viable puts a smile on my face. I really need to get around to putting it on my Wii.

The bottom line: Having more Brawl+ action in NC is a great idea.

Krackshot Kroc

Smash Ace
While I'm not a huge fan of Brawl+ myself, I'm not doubting that having more tournaments in NC that support Brawl+ isn't a bad idea. There are plenty of people in this state that enjoy playing the game so I wouldn't mind this at all.

Criosphinx

Smash Lord

when i do a dragon punch with ryu, i makes em scared to jump. and i say YES inside every time.
I like Charizard because he's angry.

I like Peter because he's not angry.

ptown

Smash Ace
it's true. inside i say yayuhz when i dragon punch someone out of the sky.

bill said that the yayuhz is not as strong in anything else besides smash.

but i DO go awwww yayuhz when i play smash so he's probably got strong facts, evidence, experience and stuff.

therefore, i support the brawl+!

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Also, I think I'd dig being on that panel you were talking about. I don't have much of a resumé, but I think I can provide some good references.

ptown

Smash Ace
ph00t was present at the last nc tournament.

he wore a cool hat.

i thought he was the player known as seven.

hiii brandooon!

null55

Smash Master
And so it begins... Hate to say I'm almost glad this is happening.

Willy

Smash Rookie

if peter supports b+, then i do too, lets make it huge in nc

Thunderbolt333

Smash Apprentice
If thier post are still valid to begin with this statement right here is invalid and making you sound like a elitest.Thats all I got from this statement.Tbh if a player has tryed brawl+ and vBrawl thier statement should be valid never the less.Its purely preference wether or not you like vBrawl or Brawl+.

Top Bottom