• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Bubble Man's Jacuzzi (Mega Man Social Thread)

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
So, I just got done with this tournament on Saturday (http://smashboards.com/rankings/smash-the-score-smash-4-wii-u.3338/event) and, man, was it a struggle using Megaman exclusively. There were 7 pools with 6 people each, so don't let the 12 man bracket fool you: there were a lot of entrees. But, the two characters I had the absolute worst time with were the hyper-campy Dedede and the rush-down Sheik. Have any of you guys had any successful breakthroughs with either of these characters? Palutena was a struggle too, as she seemed to have an answer to just about everything Mega could throw at her.
Hyper-campy DDD? What'd he camp with? At long-range, the gordos are more harmful to him than they are to you.

It's been a while since I've played a Sheik, and every time I do I feel like I get combo'd like crazy. However, her poor kill power and damage output are your best friends. You can play the matchup like a traditional heavyweight too by throwing out some moves for the sake of throwing them out because she can't punish you very hard. Other than that, space space space space space.

Jimbo_G

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0920-1016-4491
Hyper-campy DDD? What'd he camp with? At long-range, the gordos are more harmful to him than they are to you.

It's been a while since I've played a Sheik, and every time I do I feel like I get combo'd like crazy. However, her poor kill power and damage output are your best friends. You can play the matchup like a traditional heavyweight too by throwing out some moves for the sake of throwing them out because she can't punish you very hard. Other than that, space space space space space.
I suppose the more appropriate term would have been hyper defensive. Never committed to a single attack or did much of anything other than stared me down and baited me out. Just ran, blocked, ran, blocked, spot dodged, blocked, punished wiffs. It was silly. And with the range on his F-tilt, he could block-punish anything I threw at him that wasn't half the stage away.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Yeah, his f-tilt is a good shield punishing tool. Your "mid-range" with lemons/projectiles should be able to pressure him safely if he's being defensive, as well as out-range his f-tilt.

I play a defensive mid-range mega man, so I've never really had the issue of anyone being defensive against me. The reason for this is because Mega Man has such a large arsenal of safe moves outside of everyone's melee range and inside everyone's projectile range, that they're forced to be offensive. The standing jab at the edge of pellet range is maddening to a lot of characters. Then when they make a mistake, punish hard. Mega Man can definitely play that game better than Dedede in my opinion. Especially if they run away, giving Mega Man stage control isn't really a good thing for characters who aren't fast.

(I'm definitely defensive, but I want my opponents in the mid-range where I can pressure them. I think of it as putting up a wall and pressing my wall against my opponent).

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
Hey, if there's some megaman on 3ds named Burst, ggs!
I'm that Peach/Megaman/Fox. We should play again sometime, or find me at apex or something lol.

Dumb nintendo with no system to find people lol

Egregore

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NoGoodEndings
3DS FC
1977-1234-9456
So, I just got done with this tournament on Saturday (http://smashboards.com/rankings/smash-the-score-smash-4-wii-u.3338/event) and, man, was it a struggle using Megaman exclusively. There were 7 pools with 6 people each, so don't let the 12 man bracket fool you: there were a lot of entrees. But, the two characters I had the absolute worst time with were the hyper-campy Dedede and the rush-down Sheik. Have any of you guys had any successful breakthroughs with either of these characters? Palutena was a struggle too, as she seemed to have an answer to just about everything Mega could throw at her.
I've played all of them in tournament actually, and I had some trouble with them, yes.

I fought LingLing's Dedede in GF, and the toughest part of the matchup was that Dedede has guaranteed damage off his dthrow into fair / nair. Also, he lives for a long time. This was before patch, and I've improved a lot. All I can say is capitalize offstage, leaf shield reflects gordos while it's on you, and stay at mid range.

Sheik has been a mixed bag for me. She's tough because of her rushdown + combos and needles are fast and don't clank with anything. Fortunately, she can't kill very well. If you can get her to play the spacing game with you just keep shooting pellets to rack up damage every opportunity you have.

I played this guy H8MD's Palutena in Winner's finals and lost. It's a tough matchup against a smart opponent. I need more practice against her because that was my first time vs a solid Palutena.

I recently joined smashladder.com and have been climbing the ranks (I'm 9-0, beat Dissent's Diddy), but I hopped in some friendlies with someone and they played Metaknight. Having a real hard time in that MU. He still has silly combo strings, and tornado is so annoying. :( Any insight, anyone?

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
Yeah, his f-tilt is a good shield punishing tool. Your "mid-range" with lemons/projectiles should be able to pressure him safely if he's being defensive, as well as out-range his f-tilt.

I play a defensive mid-range mega man, so I've never really had the issue of anyone being defensive against me. The reason for this is because Mega Man has such a large arsenal of safe moves outside of everyone's melee range and inside everyone's projectile range, that they're forced to be offensive. The standing jab at the edge of pellet range is maddening to a lot of characters. Then when they make a mistake, punish hard. Mega Man can definitely play that game better than Dedede in my opinion. Especially if they run away, giving Mega Man stage control isn't really a good thing for characters who aren't fast.

(I'm definitely defensive, but I want my opponents in the mid-range where I can pressure them. I think of it as putting up a wall and pressing my wall against my opponent).
To contribute to this convo, I don't think you need to really pressure DDD unless he's going forward. Like, sh/standing pellet pressure is good to establish space but once he's respecting your mid range game I don't think you need to throw out any moves, especially if DDD is being overly defensive. Just specifying on one thing because I definitely agree with your whole post.

Leaf shield is amazing for edgeguarding, too. Just jump off, then jump back onstage. Slow characters like DDD will at least take a lot of damage from leaf shield + z drop metal claw's off the edge.

Egregore

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NoGoodEndings
3DS FC
1977-1234-9456
Anyone interested in doing a bo7 Mega Man ditto tonight? :}

And possibly someone with a capture device able to record it?

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

Any thoughts on defensive Samus?

Egregore

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NoGoodEndings
3DS FC
1977-1234-9456
Metal blade comes out faster than all of her projectiles, beats her missiles, and clanks with her small(er) plasma cannon shots.

I played someone recently on a ranked ladder and I was down a stock and a half when I realized all I had to do was stand in place and throw metal blades out. She either takes the damage, shields, or comes to you at that point.

Also, this works versus DHD too. MB comes out faster than all of his projectiles, and beats them, so annoying spammers get a taste of their own medicine.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Honestly it's the ground where I have the most trouble. All of our projectiles (bar Leaf Shield which more than often is too slow to help) go under Missiles (BTW for some reason CB beats Super but not regular lol) which also have longer reach.

Every Samus I've fought online is pretty much Super Missile at the start of the match, roll away, charge shot. Pretty tough to combo her as well because of her mobility in the air. Her longer rolls also don't help either (had a couple times I'd predict a roll, it'd be out of range for Flame Blast, and I'd get punished).

IDK this just seems like a match that proves that MM is a mid-range character. Skull Barrier/DW may help though.

Egregore

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NoGoodEndings
3DS FC
1977-1234-9456
Honestly it's the ground where I have the most trouble. All of our projectiles (bar Leaf Shield which more than often is too slow to help) go under Missiles (BTW for some reason CB beats Super but not regular lol) which also have longer reach.

Every Samus I've fought online is pretty much Super Missile at the start of the match, roll away, charge shot. Pretty tough to combo her as well because of her mobility in the air. Her longer rolls also don't help either (had a couple times I'd predict a roll, it'd be out of range for Flame Blast, and I'd get punished).

IDK this just seems like a match that proves that MM is a mid-range character. Skull Barrier/DW may help though.
I'll upload my match from the other night if you're interested in seeing what I'm talking about.

I'm just not sure if you misunderstood what I was saying but I definitely meant all of what I said applying to the ground game.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I'll upload my match from the other night if you're interested in seeing what I'm talking about.

I'm just not sure if you misunderstood what I was saying but I definitely meant all of what I said applying to the ground game.
By all means go ahead. Anything will help. As it definitely sounds like I'm misunderstanding something here.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
My one weakness. XD lemons can cancel out missiles, but if they get stale, they lose that ability. I'm waiting to play a good one/someone who knows the matchup. If Samus hasn't charged her charge shot, I feel like Mega Man can wall her out/pressure het very well and wins hands down. However, the ability of the charge shot to eat our projectiles outright, along with its speed, makes it devastating. The one Samus I played that made me learn to respect the charge shot at all times. (I'm thinking of picking her up as a 3rd character... She seems really appealing to me)

Egregore, I can assure you that her charge shot is faster than all of our projectiles sans lemons. At mid-range, she can use it on reaction to both metal blade and crash bomb to eat through them and hurt you badly. You're limited to diagonal metal blades and lemons (for the mobility they give you). What's worse is that if you get hit by a fully charged shot, she gets time to recharge.

Also, re:DH, metal blade does work, but it trades with the clay pigeon. You lose that trade, because MB has 0 knockback and does 6% while clay pigeon gives him positional advantage while doing 10%. DH v Mega Man is such a grindfest. If it doesn't feel that way, you're not playing a good DH. They don't just camp, they pressure much like we pressure. (Skull barrier changes everything though)

Last edited:

Egregore

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NoGoodEndings
3DS FC
1977-1234-9456
My one weakness. XD lemons can cancel out missiles, but if they get stale, they lose that ability. I'm waiting to play a good one/someone who knows the matchup. If Samus hasn't charged her charge shot, I feel like Mega Man can wall her out/pressure het very well and wins hands down. However, the ability of the charge shot to eat our projectiles outright, along with its speed, makes it devastating. The one Samus I played that made me learn to respect the charge shot at all times. (I'm thinking of picking her up as a 3rd character... She seems really appealing to me)

Egregore, I can assure you that her charge shot is faster than all of our projectiles sans lemons. At mid-range, she can use it on reaction to both metal blade and crash bomb to eat through them and hurt you badly. You're limited to diagonal metal blades and lemons (for the mobility they give you). What's worse is that if you get hit by a fully charged shot, she gets time to recharge.

Also, re:DH, metal blade does work, but it trades with the clay pigeon. You lose that trade, because MB has 0 knockback and does 6% while clay pigeon gives him positional advantage while doing 10%. DH v Mega Man is such a grindfest. If it doesn't feel that way, you're not playing a good DH. They don't just camp, they pressure much like we pressure. (Skull barrier changes everything though)
It definitely doesn't trade with clay pigeon. I've consistently been able to throw out MB, go thru clay pigeon and hit DHD, and shield. I've applied this strategy in every match against DHD. You're welcome to test it against me anytime you like, too.

And like I said, it clanks with small(er) charge shots. Never said anything about full charge. You should be pressuring with MB so much as to disallow Samus from fully charging as often as she'd like.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
It definitely doesn't trade with clay pigeon. I've consistently been able to throw out MB, go thru clay pigeon and hit DHD, and shield. I've applied this strategy in every match against DHD. You're welcome to test it against me anytime you like, too.

And like I said, it clanks with small(er) charge shots. Never said anything about full charge. You should be pressuring with MB so much as to disallow Samus from fully charging as often as she'd like.
Then you're more at long-range than mid-range. At the edge of pellet range, it definitely trades. I can refer you to my DH doubles partner @ Spirst Spirst if you want some DH action.

You said MB comes out faster than all of her projectiles, which is what I was addressing. Like I said, Samus has trouble dealing with constant pressure, but once she gets something charged enough. It's a whole different game.

Spirst

DH main here who has spent probably a little too much time trying to understand DHs projectiles. Both the clay pigeon and metal blade go through each other once they're in the air but the metal blade can get canceled while DH does the turn when he's just about to throw the clay pigeon. However, this kills any momentum the pigeon and sends it vertical and behind DH so it's a stalemate. It's also possible for the metal blade to break the clay pigeon early on as the clay pigeon is traveling though you have to be really close (think it's at a certain angle).

At a certain distance (long range), both parties can just shield though DH has more ending lag on the clay pigeon than a metal blade throw.

Edit: Both of you are technically correct. It does in fact trade during the initial animation of the toss but in long range, they go through each other. I don't know, this character is weird as ****.

Last edited:

LF2K

Floor Diver
Premium
Last night, I was playing a few rounds with my sister, and she pointed out to me that Mega Man's appearance in Smash has some uncanny resemblances to the Blue Lantern corps (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Lantern_Corps). Now, this is someone who knows their comic lore, but has never touched a Mega Man game in her life.

The first connection is obvious; they're blue.

For those of you who don't know, the Blue Lanterns' rings are powered by hope. Ever since Mega Man got announced in Smash, what did it inspire? Hope for a better future.

And finally, the Blue Lanterns are a group of heroes. Sound familiar?

I always liked to call his Final Smash the "Mega Avengers", but I guess "Mega Lanterns" is my new nickname. :p

Last edited:

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
The in-game hints and tips for Megs are hilarious.
They're either just stating the obvious or lets you know lame stuff ("Mega Man got the Hard Knuckle from Hard Man in Mega Man 3")
, or tell you about Megs' cons ("Mega Man can't use his up+b when in Leaf Shield, so get rid of it first!") :awesome:

His hints and tips are pretty lame compared to most other chars'.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Well, anyone has a personal favorite match-up? I like to fight DK, Ganon and Kirby as Mega Man. I also like Mirror Matches.

Anyone find Mirror Matches kind of cool with Mega Man.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
Well, anyone has a personal favorite match-up? I like to fight DK, Ganon and Kirby as Mega Man. I also like Mirror Matches.

Anyone find Mirror Matches kind of cool with Mega Man.
I've had a few mirrors, namely with @Mr.Metal. I got sorta bodied at first but at the end we were pretty equal. Favorite matchups personally are Kirby, Marth and Falcon/Ganon.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I've had a few mirrors, namely with @Mr.Metal. I got sorta bodied at first but at the end we were pretty equal. Favorite matchups personally are Kirby, Marth and Falcon/Ganon.
You actually like fighting Marth? I can't stand fighting him. Eventually, I've managed to win against quite a few of them. But it's still annoying. Ganon is fun to fight against. Falcon is too, but it is a bit harder than Ganon, what with his crazy speed and all.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
You actually like fighting Marth? I can't stand fighting him. Eventually, I've managed to win against quite a few of them. But it's still annoying. Ganon is fun to fight against. Falcon is too, but it is a bit harder than Ganon, what with his crazy speed and all.
Yeah, but then again I've fought against a lot of them. Having a friend who mains Marth helps.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Yeah, but then again I've fought against a lot of them. Having a friend who mains Marth helps.
Yeah, I imagine it would be pretty helpful. Being grab-happy can sort of help. So long as you keep your cool and time your moves right.

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
I'm fond of using Mega Man against Ganondorf, Link/Toon Link, and well just about everyone else. Though those two are the notable ones I can remember.

How frequently do you guys use the lemons?

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Has this been talked about yet?

I cannot believe this.
This just made me wonder: being one of Dr. Light's creations, does X have the same affinity to animals as Mega Man does? But then again, a lot of the Mavericks he destroyed were based on animals, so that could clash with his views.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
This just made me wonder: being one of Dr. Light's creations, does X have the same affinity to animals as Mega Man does? But then again, a lot of the Mavericks he destroyed were based on animals, so that could clash with his views.
X is more or less a pacifist (and in X7, he took it to an extreme degree, to the point where you had to UNLOCK the ability to play as him), who rather would not have to fight anything, so I'm sure he would have an affinity for animals. Heck, he's just a really kind hearted and gentle person when he isn't forced to fight, even if he can be a little too passionate about his views at times. I doubt him defeating Mavericks who just so happen to look like animals means anything there. To him, they were just Mavericks who would not listen to reason. I think he also believes in the robot law of "robots should never harm humans".

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
X is more or less a pacifist (and in X7, he took it to an extreme degree, to the point where you had to UNLOCK the ability to play as him), who rather would not have to fight anything, so I'm sure he would have an affinity for animals. Heck, he's just a really kind hearted and gentle person when he isn't forced to fight, even if he can be a little too passionate about his views at times. I doubt him defeating Mavericks who just so happen to look like animals means anything there. To him, they were just Mavericks who would not listen to reason. I think he also believes in the robot law of "robots should never harm humans".
Yeah, I know about X's pacifist nature. The only game I haven't played is X8(not counting the GBC games). Well, I suppose the Mavericks he fought were either under Sigma's command or infected with the Sigma Virus.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Was already going to re-subscribe for this event, X and Sonic Boom have just sealed the deal.

Though now that they're on board, I wonder how the Emerald Spears guy (forgot his name) plans on kicking off this event. All I can think of is him stealing the Time Skimmer again but how Sonic will be fit into it all I haven't the slightest clue/idea.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Yeah, I know about X's pacifist nature. The only game I haven't played is X8(not counting the GBC games). Well, I suppose the Mavericks he fought were either under Sigma's command or infected with the Sigma Virus.
Mega Man X8 is pretty good. Not the best in the whole series. But definitely a solid entry nonetheless. If you can, try looking into it. Mega Man X actually gets more pissed off than he normally does, mostly with Vile and Sigma.

The opening stage(Noah's Park), Jakob Elevator and Vile themes are great.

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Bar the Man O War and Yeti levels (not bad, but annoying like Jump/Slide in MM8), X8 is definitely one of the better games in the series, stands around X2/3 IMO.

Reminds me of the half translated X7 4-Koma manga. Man, they picked the perfect game in the series to make fun of. :laugh:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
They all have been getting along well. Don't worry, this board is in good hands ;)
(mine and ---'s)

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Anyone have a preferred custom set-up? I go with Metal Blade, Danger Wrap, Tornado Hold and Plant Barrier.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Anyone have a preferred custom set-up? I go with Metal Blade, Danger Wrap, Tornado Hold and Plant Barrier.
Usually depends on what type of match I'm playing.

In 1 on 1's, I normally go with Shadow Blade, Danger Wrap, Rush Coil and Plant Barrier.

For Doubles/FFA's, I'll use Metal Blade, Crash Bomber, Beat and Skull Barrier.

And for Smash Run, Metal Blade, Danger Wrap, Rush Coil and Plant Barrier.

iVoltage

$5.99 Abuser
So I really like playing mega man and I've been playing him for a bit, but I'd like to pick up a secondary to help with mega man's harder matchups. What would you guys recommend?

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
They all have been getting along well. Don't worry, this board is in good hands ;)
(mine and ---'s)
Quite. Thanks.

I'll be back on the 19th, but I still pop on Skype to check up on the Mega Mainers who use the chat (which, you can PM me to be added like many of you have already).

I hope to really jump into the blue bomber again when I get back. Crunch time for Apex.

Top Bottom