• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Bubble Man's Jacuzzi (Mega Man Social Thread)

Egregore

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NoGoodEndings
3DS FC
1977-1234-9456
Unfortunately, juice.Doom wasn't able to make it and apparently he is their only 3DS capture carrier, so nothing was recorded / streamed for 3DS. :"/

The event next week will be streamed though since it's on the Wii U and I know the venue owner wants to get a match of mine on there so hopefully I can represent Team Mega Man well.

Actually, I think I DID save one replay against Pat64 who played Palutena, so I can record that with my phone tomorrow. No Shadow Blade in this match though.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Glad to know I'm not the only one who really likes the Tornado Hold. I'm happy to hear that the Mega Buster might have a bit more distance, and the Leaf Shield gets some needed speed. Does anyone know if this also applies to the Charge Shot?

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Took 1st at HBA today without losing a set. I used Shadow Blade a few matches in the spirit of the current discussion here. It does a lot for setting up combos, leading into grabs or lemons, and stopping rushdown.

I've been playing around with Plant Barrier a lot and I'm almost at the point where I prefer it to Leaf Shield. Wavebouncing when coming down from the top blast zone with Plant Barrier pretty much guarantees you're safe because of the extra durability if they predict your movements. The best part about it I find is that it eats (some) projectiles, and that the barrier stays up even if the leaves hit your opponent. I've been able to just summon Plant Barrier and roll around and I can tell it's frustrating for my opponents lmao.

Anywho, I'm pro customs and I hope TOs will considering further testing of these moves to allow more diversity for players (I'm a TO myself).

No amount of buffs can replace the absence of Rush Cancel. It adds SO much survivability to Megaman that if this AT is out then kiss a lot of MU advantages goodbye.
I KNEW Shadow Blade was good against rushdown! :D

Leaf Shield eats projectiles as well if you throw it, which
can force your opponent to respect it when tossing their projectiles.

Though I don't exactly see how Rush Canceling helped him
win fights. Sure, you take less damage overall and live longer,
but it doesn't really help Megaman regain initiative.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Though I don't exactly see how Rush Canceling helped him
win fights. Sure, you take less damage overall and live longer,
but it doesn't really help Megaman regain initiative.
This is pretty much my thought on the matter.

---

"Kiss a lot of MUs goodbye"? What? No way dude. Mega is still a solid enough character to survive without it in. I think it's a little ridiculous to say no amount of buffs could replace Rush Canceling (especially if lemons shooting further is true).

Last edited:

Egregore

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NoGoodEndings
3DS FC
1977-1234-9456
Gonna try my best explaining on my phone while at work lol.

IDK if you've played a lot of competent Sheik or ZSS but Sheik can legit camp you with needles as they're faster and do not clank with any of MM's projectiles. She's faster, has better rushdown, and everything combos early. It's very simply a % game vs Sheik in her favor and often MM's only real defense in this MU is being able to escape upsmash's 2nd hit and upair's last hit. With customs on I think Plant Barrier might help with this but I haven't had the opportunity to test it. Of course, this is all IMO from personal experience in tournament settings.

RC allows you to reestablish stage control (often times in conjunction with LF wavebounce) from a normally unfavorably situation and gives you more opportunities to tack on %. MM might as well be combo food otherwise. Maybe I just abuse this AT more than most. I'll show you what I mean in my match vs Pat64 from yesterday when it finishes uploading.

With ZSS her dthrow to upb is guaranteed / mixup even at higher %, and without RC you'll be dying early off the top every time.

EDIT: Also, RC gets you out of ZSS fsmash's 2nd hit and out of her upsmash on the 1st hit. I forget if it can get you out of dsmash, but you get my point. It's a psychological thing too. . .it restricts your opponents arsenal and make them second guess what opportunities they have for KOs.

Last edited:

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
It's fine (I have played a few, btw), I just think you put too much stress on it. I think it's nice to have, but me losing it isn't going to make me just fall apart in tons of matchups. Mega is still very solid at stage control (look at players like Daiki and Reflex). I agree it gets you out of a sticky situation, but you should also be focusing more on not being in that position to begin with. Mega is so good at controlling the stage. If you're arguing Sheik has just more solid options than Mega in general (which I agree with), him having Rush Canceling barely made it more reasonable.

Also, think about how he has a frame zero landing lag aerial, which is beyond amazing. Couple that with potential longer range lemon use and you have an utter annoyance. Even if it wasn't a longer range it's still a tool a lot of characters wish they had. I do a fine job of keeping people away from me because I control the stage well. Am I saying you don't? No, not at all. I do think listing two matchups (but I'm assuming those were the two that came to your mind, yeah?) is a bit melodramatic for saying that losing Rush Canceling will mean Mega will suffer. He's still a good character and will still do well.

Egregore

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NoGoodEndings
3DS FC
1977-1234-9456
It's fine (I have played a few, btw), I just think you put too much stress on it. I think it's nice to have, but me losing it isn't going to make me just fall apart in tons of matchups. Mega is still very solid at stage control (look at players like Daiki and Reflex). I agree it gets you out of a sticky situation, but you should also be focusing more on not being in that position to begin with. Mega is so good at controlling the stage. If you're arguing Sheik has just more solid options than Mega in general (which I agree with), him having Rush Canceling barely made it more reasonable.

Also, think about how he has a frame zero landing lag aerial, which is beyond amazing. Couple that with potential longer range lemon use and you have an utter annoyance. Even if it wasn't a longer range it's still a tool a lot of characters wish they had. I do a fine job of keeping people away from me because I control the stage well. Am I saying you don't? No, not at all. I do think listing two matchups (but I'm assuming those were the two that came to your mind, yeah?) is a bit melodramatic for saying that losing Rush Canceling will mean Mega will suffer. He's still a good character and will still do well.
Ah well, maybe I'm just too dependent on it to make up for my shortcomings. *shrug*

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
I honestly didnt really have issues with his matchups and I forgot about using hitstun cancelling altogether lol Mega Man excels at being annoying and not being hit. Maximize that to the fullest.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Ah well, maybe I'm just too dependent on it to make up for my shortcomings. *shrug*
Oh no I hope that's not what I made you think! I was really just trying to point out that Mega does already have a great arsenal at his disposal, and that the Rush Canceling was nice to have, but without it, he can still survive well. Don't be too hard on yourself. We just have differing thoughts.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Sorry I'm late to the party. Thought I'd write up a bit on Mega Man's doubles stuff.

I've been playing team battle quite a bit lately as Mega Man (w/Greninja and Duck Hunt as teammates). In my experience, he's an amazing doubles partner. Of course I can hold my own when it separates to 1v1's, but he shines in team play. Dash attack can capture both opponents while allowing your teammate to get in position for a follow up, lemons can give your teammate an opening to start/land a combo while the opponent is in hitstun, and MB can be used at diagonal angles to cover different options as well as being a piercing projectile. He's moderately heavy with a good recovery, so he works well as a stock tank, and has great aerials that combo well when your teammate sends an opponent flying your way. Also, a charged fsmash can be devastating to unleash on someone who is trying to fight your teammate. Once I can SH lemon consistently, Duck Hunt can/pidgeon + lemon camping is going to be really funny.

Some team specific things, crash bomb activated Greninja substitute is good, although gimmicky, as the substitute attack is really hard to punish. Also, due to Greninja's speed, he can pass the CB quite well. Deploying Rush to save your teammate is really good if you're in position for it. I don't know if it gives the teammate back their double jump, but I don't think it does. I'd say it's better than Tornado Hold for that purpose, as it does 0 damage and they're free to air dodge or whatever straight off the boost. It requires more timing, but it's better.

G&W is an OP teammate because of the bucket. Other than that, I don't know other team combos with Mega Man. He teammate strengths are probably stage control, team % combos, edge guarding, and killing. In my DH/Greninja & Mega Man team battles I get around twice as many kills as both DH or Greninja and that's by design (and my teammate is no slouch). Mega Man does get pushed around when the other team doubleteams him, which can hurt his stock tank ability, but your teammate can bail you out of those situations and help you regain initiative or at least reset to neutral if you choose to Rush out of your disadvantaged situation.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I never thought of comboing with Shadow Blade tbh, not sue why. I figured it'd at best be a zoning tool, but fighting with
Egregore has shown me its potential. I'll add onto it in my guide as a result, I'll credit you too.

I like the Hyper Bomb still, I enjoy the unlimited Jump Cancel Throwing lol.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I have a set with Hyper Bombs and Ice Slasher.

To be quite honest, though, even though freezing people with it
puts them at risk of Hyper Bombs, the reduced range
and longer startup compared to Crash Bomber really disappoint me.

Crescent_Sun

Smash Apprentice
Just saw a comment on the main competitive discussion boards on how Mega Man pretty much seems to need a secondary character to cover up bad matchups. Do you feel that Mega Man can cover all his options with customs, or do you think it's definitely advisable to pick up a backup for fights Mega Man can't seem to handle. If so, who and why?

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Just saw a comment on the main competitive discussion boards on how Mega Man pretty much seems to need a secondary character to cover up bad matchups. Do you feel that Mega Man can cover all his options with customs, or do you think it's definitely advisable to pick up a backup for fights Mega Man can't seem to handle. If so, who and why?
Honestly this topic deserves it's own thread + poll.

I doubt he can't cover all his options with custom, though it's too early to say for sure. All of that aside, learning another character only increases one's options and makes the game all the more enjoyable. Who would compliment Mega Man as a character is beyond me for now. Personally I'm just hoping to secondary Mewtwo.

Egregore

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NoGoodEndings
3DS FC
1977-1234-9456
Just gonna drop these in here for anyone who might have missed them from the videos thread.

From "Monster Smash", a tournament in Wallingford, CT yesterday. Random matches from Winner's Finals and Grand Finals between LingLing and I.

Egregore (Mega Man) vs LingLing (King Dedede): http://youtu.be/Q20IC_3Bet4

Egregore (Mega Man) vs LingLing (Bowser Jr.): http://youtu.be/PoYJ7D-pvKc

Egregore (Mega Man) vs LingLing (Rosalina): http://youtu.be/BRUsOi8mkI8

Feel free to give advice. I ended up losing to him in the long run, so I needa work on some stuff.
And here is the one match I saved from the tournament I won yesterday. Palutena is someone I have very little experience playing against, and the one time I did play against her it was in another tourney and I lost, so I kinda went into this match not knowing what to do, and you can tell early on I'm at a loss, but I end up just doing my own thing.

Egregore (Mega Man) vs Pat64 (Palutena) http://youtu.be/LH3p8MFpV3c

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
I honestly can't come up with a matchup that is seriously not in our favor at the moment. like sure, we probably have a few 4-6's here and there, but is there really a death matchup? Nah I don't think so currently.

If Rush canceling is removed... then Sheik and ZSS are going to become bigger threats. Our current matchup with Sheik prevents her from killing us before like 160%. if RCing is removed, it'll give her back her uair kills, which will be problematic.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I honestly can't come up with a matchup that is seriously not in our favor at the moment. like sure, we probably have a few 4-6's here and there, but is there really a death matchup? Nah I don't think so currently.

If Rush canceling is removed... then Sheik and ZSS are going to become bigger threats. Our current matchup with Sheik prevents her from killing us before like 160%. if RCing is removed, it'll give her back her uair kills, which will be problematic.
Looks like Tornado Hold dropping is the future.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Bad news guys. D1 confirmed on his twitter page, Rush Cancelling is gone. D:
Now a dilemma arises: with Rush Canceling gone, it
is no longer a clear-cut better choice compared to Beat.

Will you go with a faster but lower distance recovery that
can give swift vertical movement on-stage, or a slower recovery
that all but guarantees you won't get gimped?

(Has anyone tried going under Final Destination with Beat?)

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Bad news guys. D1 confirmed on his twitter page, Rush Cancelling is gone. D:
Not that I'm doubting d1, but have any MM mains gotten to test it? Rush canceling wasn't the easiest thing to test (and we've had false alarms before) so I'm maintaining my skepticism

Egregore

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NoGoodEndings
3DS FC
1977-1234-9456
Not that I'm doubting d1, but have any MM mains gotten to test it? Rush canceling wasn't the easiest thing to test (and we've had false alarms before) so I'm maintaining my skepticism
First thing I'll do Friday lol.

If this IS the case then I hope his lemons do in fact have more range and upair has a wider hitbox at least. Uair on Battlefield is beautiful.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
True, and I'll be skeptic as well. Only thing I've actually seen so far besides Uair's size increase is that Leaf Shield does indeed come out faster.

Ramzy

ROCKMAN
Has no one shared this yet?

Rush canceling is NOT gone, it is still an escape special, it's just we won't be able to use it for cheap escapes like Sheik's Uair before it's complete.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Actually might still work on Sheik uair from that video... There's a decent chunk of time before the last hit. Holding hope. That's a lot better than it could have been though. Thanks for posting that

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Has no one shared this yet?

Rush canceling is NOT gone, it is still an escape special, it's just we won't be able to use it for cheap escapes like Sheik's Uair before it's complete.
Well, it's good to see it isn't completely gone. Happy to see he got some other buffs too.

Egregore

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NoGoodEndings
3DS FC
1977-1234-9456
Only big changes aside from RC being out I see are leaf shield definitely is faster being summoned and upair has a huge hitbox. Dunno about lemons having extended range, can't tell.

~Burst~

Smash Journeyman
I'd say the landing lag reduction on Flame sword is the biggest. Though we lost 1% of damage we can now pressure shield since we can double fair and its going to be 4x more useful when when we have a c stick to retreating Fair. That and you can actually legit combo into fair at higher %s
Throwing leaf shield is faster but I think that was more to prevent SDs than anything.

Egregore

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NoGoodEndings
3DS FC
1977-1234-9456
I thought I noticed that too about Flame Sword. I think it's reduced ending lag in general though. It seems to end faster but I could be wrong.

Last edited:

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
this seems interesting:

I caught something with Mega Man. Pardon me if this was brought into light earlier:

in the past, if you were to burn your special jump and use neutral-air (or some other aerial/special attack in the air to make your landing safer) to cancel the recovery frames attached to your special jump, those frames were "stored;" the next time you went airborne and landed, you're burdened with your Up B's recovery from earlier -even if you didn't use Up B again - unless you landed with nair every single time.

However, in 1.0.4 this is no longer the case. If you nair into the ground just once after your special jump, those recovery frames from Up B will no longer burden you next time you jump and land.

Crescent_Sun

Smash Apprentice
With the changes to Rush Coil, do you think you still recommend using it to escape frame trapping situations? It's still an effective eject button despite not getting out of true combos, but with Mega Man not being great on the way down from the air, I don't know how advisable it is now that it has less utility.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
With the changes to Rush Coil, do you think you still recommend using it to escape frame trapping situations? It's still an effective eject button despite not getting out of true combos, but with Mega Man not being great on the way down from the air, I don't know how advisable it is now that it has less utility.
Tornado Hold, man. Sure, it has a narrow range, but it can
basically put a wall between you and an opponent on the ground
which, if it hits, can reverse the scenario.

Unless we're talking with defaults only here.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
So, has anyone played Azure Striker Gunvolt? I'm thinking about getting it, so I wouldn't mind hearing any opinions of it. It does seem pretty fun. But that's sort of a given, since it's a Mega Man X styled game by some of the Ex-Capcom guys. Other than that, I'd probably get Mega Man Xtreme on the 3DS as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom